How hard is it REALLY to put a trampoline together.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shauna+Molly+ Me_*

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

We bought this tramp.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...=tab%3DWatching

Its currently in the garage in the box.

Now we really want it to be a surprise for the girls on christmas morning, they will LOVE it biggrin.gif .

How hard is it really to put these things together?

We are thinking of having Shauna have dinner at DHs parents christmas eve and we can get it together during the daylight hours and then just avoid Shauna going out the back for the rest of the night she is awake, probably only and hour or so.

We willl say their is a beeh hive out there or something.

BUT how hard are these things? and what what length of time will we need with just DH and I doing it?

#2 *dreamer*

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

DH and I put the kids tramp up in about 1.5 hours.  DH is an absolute DIY disaster though and I guess I am not much better.  I think if you allowed 2 hours you would finish and have time left over.  Have fun!!

#3 pippityroo

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Oh I totally forgot about having to put the tramp together ddoh.gif My parents are getting the kids one this year, but DH & my dad will be puting it up when they come up on Sunday xmas_cool.gif

#4 Chocolate Addict

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

My 72yo mother and I put one together last year and it took about 2 hours. That didn't include the net though! lol
I put it together upside down first (the hook holes need to be the right way! lol)

So, I would allow around 2 hours. original.gif

#5 wrappedup

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

You're giving me (painful) flashbacks.  

Give yourself a few hours.  And definitely do it in daylight if you can!

#6 SusieGreen

This is the one thing I am really dreading. I got my 3 yr old one and I'm a single parent.
I can just see it going pear shaped and ending in tears.lol

#7 Kafkaesque

I did one on my own and it took a few hours.  There were some moments of frustration but that probably had more to do with the fact I was doing it in 40 degree heat.

So with two of you a a few hours should be plently.

#8 mumofsky

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

The old beehive trick huh......... biggrin.gif

I'm going to pick one up today, I bought mine off ebay too. I also bought one off ebay for christmas last year but the dog ate it. Hence the new one this year.

Anyway, my experience last year was if you allow about 2 hours it's ok. The hardest part is stretching the bloody mat across the springs, my dad and I attempted to do this together but I couldn't do it to save my life so I kind of stood back and watched as dad did it. But 2 people and 2 hours should be ok. Just get your muscles ready for that stretching... (it is possible I'm just really weak and nobody else struggles with this.)

#9 lindyloo03

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

i did not think it was hard. I have put it up and down so many times now I can literally do it myself.

#10 Ailurophiliac

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

It's not hard as in lots of pieces to put together. It's just time consuming and will require a bit of strength when time comes to pull the last few springs onto the frame. I would allow a minimum of 2 hours and lots of towels and water lol

#11 ikeaqueen

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I think our neighbours would've been close to calling the police when we were putting ours together on Christmas Eve last year blush.gif  DH had to put all the springs on (I am weak laughing2.gif) and each one involved a heck of a lot of grunting and a little swearing if he got his finger stuck.

And then there was the stacking it backwards when he slipped and smashed in to the fence... Little more swearing.

I would allow 2 hours and someone strong.

That said, my 53 year old mother put one together basically on her own shrug.gif

#12 adnama

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

We have one to put up as well i've head stories of them taking up to 5hrs to put up.
But then i've been told if you follow the instructions we will be fine.

DF works christmas eve so no chance of starting it early since he didn't attempt to like i asked last saturday night when DD was at her dance concert

#13 ~Beckstar~

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

I put it together upside down first (the hook holes need to be the right way! lol)

lol, we did this too...

We have the oval 14ft from target, took 3 adults (two men) 2.5 hours and few grown up tantrums..
Although we started at 10 pm, darkness is not ideal... We did all giggle at the end of it though, and tested it out!!  original.gif

Its easier to lay out all your pieces on the ground and work from there, (we found) and yes make sure the holes for the springs are facing the sky when you attach them.

#14 JC13

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

It took 4 of us about 3 hours to do a 14 foot round one, however from memory I think we'd all had a little to drink when we started, plus it was dark. rolleyes.gif

Only suggestion if it is a round one and there is two people attaching the mat is to start next to each other and work in opposite directions. We had a brainwave to all take a section of the mat and needless to say it didn't end up to well when we worked out we were out of sinc with the hooks and the holes. biggrin.gif

#15 Ireckon

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

lemme see...if you do it DH's way and try to pull the net to the springs, it takes ages....I usually just follow his lead on putting things together, but about half way through, I said, wouldn't it be easier to stretch the springs out to reach the net??????

And hey presto, it all started happening MUCH quicker....

2 hours should be more than enough time...

#16 LittleDCJ

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

We've also got one in the shed ready to put together xmas eve.  I've watched the assembly video on their website and have a pretty good idea of how it goes together.

Our kids comes with a spring stretcher, I've heard it makes it a lot easier.  We're hoping to have the base put together by morning and aren't too fussed if we don't get the net on.

#17 Ireckon

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (LittleDCJ @ 22/12/2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our kids comes with a spring stretcher, I've heard it makes it a lot easier.

Sorry, that is really funny. I know exactly what you mean, but a stretcher for kids!!!! Brilliant.

FWIW, we had that tool to sset our trampoline up too, DH was just using it extremely incorrectly...and getting cranky that it was a useless tool...til he started using it right..

Edited by Ireckon, 22 December 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#18 Marsbar Slice

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

lemme see...if you do it DH's way and try to pull the net to the springs, it takes ages....I usually just follow his lead on putting things together, but about half way through, I said, wouldn't it be easier to stretch the springs out to reach the net??????

And hey presto, it all started happening MUCH quicker....

If only we had of known this before we started! We put out 13ft up last weekend and do you think two adults could get the springs and mat to join...then we called in reinforcements and a bright spark suggested pulling the springs to the mat and we were done in no time. I think we would still be out there trying if we had not tried this method.

#19 ElleEmDee

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

My Dh and his dad took about 3 hours in the dark (and I know, I know- I shouldnt say this) the rain.

Im sure its not going to rain on Christmas Eve this year though.  Now that our outdoor toy assembly days are over (previous year was a cubby, also assembled in the rain), it will be fine for all the Christmas Eves to come  xmas_laugh.gif

Good luck- Im sure the kids will love it!

#20 Guest_philbysgirl_*

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

With 2 people and daylight approx. 2 hours with net.  Was a PITA (we did ours last Christmas Eve) but so worth it!

WARNING:  DS loved the tramp so much last xmas we couldn't get him off it Christmas day.  The next day his muscles were sore and he felt sick so limit the kids time on it until they get use to it. wink.gif

#21 harrison~at~last

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

I put DD's together for her birthday a bit over a week ago.  It took 3hrs in the dark!  The hardest part was balancing the long poles (for the enclosure) while I put the D links on!

#22 squirt70

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

Aarrrgghh, I'm in a similar situation - but with swings. DH has absolutely NO patience & is unfortunately really bad at anything that requires dismantling or assembling  xmas_huh.gif Last year he absolutely lost it putting together a plastic supermarket - lots of swearing in Italian (I couldn't understand the words, but understood the "meaning"!) ... & gets unbelievably agitated just getting a toy out of a box.

Dreading Christmas Eve..

Edited by squirt70, 22 December 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#23 Oblique

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

Just over 2hrs with Dad (68yrs) acting as my beautiful assistant wink.gif

I agree with the PPs who have said to avoid doing it in the dark! Or rig up some spotlights.

We also had trouble getting the D rings on that hold the net poles, ended up with pliers on either side to "flex" them out so they'd go over the poles.

I would HIGHLY recommend have a glass of something cold and boozy ready for when you're finished.

#24 Kafkaesque

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (harrison~at~last @ 22/12/2009, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hardest part was balancing the long poles (for the enclosure) while I put the D links on!

OMG that bit had me swearing! Probably took me the longest to do those alone. I have since seen that many tramps don't have the D links and if I every buy another one I will make sure there are no D links in sight!

#25 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Edited by verloren, 03 January 2010 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.