Baby should be at home

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 ~Bill~

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Went to DS's Pead surgeon on wednesday and took out 1 week old who sleept most of the way through the appointment and woke and had a bit of a cry near the end. The dr asked how old she was and when we said a week old said she should be at home, and that newborns belong at home.

I do and dont agree with him, agree that newborns should not be dragged everywhere to visit people but you still have to live your life so have to take them out at some time

WDYT should newborns stay at home for the first few weeks?

#2 ~gaby~

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Life goes on, it doesn't stop just because a baby arrives. I carried on like normal after DS was born

#3 Wut??

WDYT should newborns stay at home for the first few weeks?
What for?

I think newborns and mothers should at least have the option to be tucked up in bed, preferably with midwives/lactation consultants on tap for the first week, but beyond that, no.

#4 ang_w

As nice as it would be to stay at home for the first few weeks and just concentrate on nothing but the baby, we all still have lives to lead and most of us don't have that luxury.  
DH went back to work the day after my last baby was born, so needless to say, I had no choice but to get on with it.

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Um... no, I don't. We can't all just put our lives on hold. OK, maybe we can with a first child, but not with subsequent children. Plus newborns are (generally) soooo adaptable it's not funny. I found it much easier to cart a newborn around than a toddler. Good grief, my DS3 was carted to and from kindy twice a day from 3 days old, shopped, went to swimming lessons for DS1, T-ball etc, etc, from  the minute I got home with him. Actually, I grocery shopped on the way home!

What an antiquated and ridiculous notion. What was her reasoning?

#6 Phascogale

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

Depends on the culture you live in or were brought up in.  There are some cultures in the world where mum and baby need to stay home and rest for the first 40 days and the extended family do everything for them in that time.  Most people don't have that option.

There is something to be said about staying home and limiting contact with the outside world in a newborn from a disease point of view but that doesn't really apply once you have more than one child.

And like you said, life goes on.  Those with older kids probably have school and kinder runs.  Life doesn't stop and not everyone has the luxury of having someone do these things for them.  I remember having my 3 day old at the supermarket on the way home from hospital because there was no food in the house!

#7 Benevolence

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

I know a girl that was back at uni with her newborn 2 days after giving birth.

Within reason, I think you should do what is right for you and your family.

#8 kaz_april

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

like u said u still need to live ur life!

a old woman approached me while i was waitting for DH outside woolies when DD2 was 5 days old he had to run in for a few things and i need to go to the chemist she asked how old DD was and i said 5 days she then said oh 5 weeks and i corrected her and said no 5 days she then went straight into my face and said get that baby home u should not be here! with everyone looking.
DH then came shortly after seening i was in tears asking if everything was ok. and i told him and he just said were doing what we want she is our daughter. i wont tell u what this old lady was doing while walking around the shops.(we later discovered while walking back to the car)

u cant wrap them in cotton wool.

#9 Tan17

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

My DD2 was 8 days old when my DS1 had major leg surgery and I had no choice but to take her everyday to the hospital.  The nurses were amazed at how old she was but no one ever said that she should be at home.  I agree life goes on.

#10 ~ Four Blessings ~

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

With DS1 - I didnt leave the house to even go to the corner shop for a week (as I was still in a lot of pain after giving birth)

I left hospital the day after DS3 was born, and went straight to the shopping centre, did some groceries, went to medicare to file the paperwork there (the medicare staff were a little surprised I was there so early) and then went to centrelink to do the paperwork there.

I find the doctors comment weird, what exactly is the difference between a newborn baby and a 6 month old baby if you need to go out you need to go out.

#11 Duck-o-lah

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Odd. Which option would the paed prefer... that your DS didn't attend his appt or that the week old baby be left home alone? I agree you don't want to be dragging a newborn all over town, but some things have to be done.

#12 what-ever

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

I was too scared to leave the house after having #1 for about 2 weeks. Everyone was telling me to get out and go shopping!

Was out and about the day after i got out of hospital with #2 and all i got was people commenting on how cute my newborn was.

NEVER had anyone tell me that i needed to be at home.

I think that is a really odd comment from the doc.

#13 Guest_shauna+Molly+ Me_*

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am another who groccery shopped on the way home from hospital.
Molly just cuddled up to DH and I popped up and down the ailses getting things for dinner that night!

She was born on Friday and I was doing the kinder run with with both the girls on the Tuesday.

With Shauna I became a bit of a hermit for the first couple of weeks, I think this did me more harm than good, my whole life became to alternative reality and I think if I was encouraged to go for a shopping trip or something I would have felt more normal and not so freaked out.

#14 Sunny003

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

What an idiot!

Seriously some people do my head in! You were at a paediatric surgeon, not at the tennis! And if you had of called up to cancel, saying you have a newborn, they would of reminded you how important your DS's appointment was blah blah blah!

If/when we have #3, they will be staying on the kids ward when DS1 or DS2 are in, there is no other option. Not everyone has a DH who can take time off work at the drop of a hat. I'll be BF'ing, and have at least 2 of my children needing me.

#15 Guest_keylimepie~_*

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

Depends on the culture you live in or were brought up in. There are some cultures in the world where mum and baby need to stay home and rest for the first 40 days and the extended family do everything for them in that time. Most people don't have that option.
  yyes.gif

I think it's best to stay home for as long as possible in those very early days. 4 weeks would be great but seriously unrealistic for most.

I intend to get out & walk baby in the pram from as early as I can. That is though, around my neighbourhood. No way I'll be going near large shoppng centres or on public transport in the first few weeks. Both things I try & avoid at all costs anyway! wink.gif

ETA - Seriously bizarre attitude of your Paed though.

Edited by keylimepie~, 19 December 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#16 FeralJaneMummy

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

The reason most doctor's recommend babies stay home in the first 4 weeks is they haven't had any immunisations yet and are more susceptible to illness.  There are also less treatment options when they are so small; I can't remember if they can even have Panadol before 4 weeks.  

That said, this is an ideal and people still have lives to live, errands to run and other children to look after.  

#17 vanillabean

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

I've just had two very sick children with gastro and a few weeks ago a really bad flu, i wouldn't want to expose my newborn to anything i didn't have to. They need to build up immunity first. I know life has to go on but i would do all i could to keep my baby at home for the first few weeks if i could.

#18 MadamFrou-Frou

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

We probably spent the first 5 days in hospital or at home. After that I tried to keep DD away from large groups and didn't let small children at DS' daycare touch her. There are some major whooping cough epidemics around at the moment not to mention swine flu, so I don't think it hurts to be a little cautious until they've had their immunisations.

#19 RillyBilly

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

When our son was born, we were advised to get out and about as soon as possible - the earlier you do it, the easier it becomes.  

Mind you, our little man was almost 4 weeks old when we left the hospital, but my dh brought the pram in and we did walk him down to the little corner coffee shop sometimes - just to have some time away from hospital.

she then went straight into my face and said get that baby home u should not be here! with everyone looking.

You know, with the hormonal changes you'd have been experiencing, you had the perfect excuse to snap back at her with "get stuffed, its none of your business!"

Edited by mumoflittlepossum, 19 December 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#20 Kim

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

I like the idea of staying at home bonding with baby and having extended family helping, but the reality is that our society generally isolates women, meaning we don't have that extended support.

You should have taken the opportunity to ask the paed if he did home visits.

#21 ~Bill~

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

It is funny the pead was a male and my DH who was at the appointment with me agreed with him, so maybe it is a male thing?

#22 Dani

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Well then your husband is an idiot as well!  If he was so concerned about the baby being out when "it really should be at home" what the hell stopped him from taking DS to the paed. on his own so that you baby & her milkbar could chill at home.  Bet that would have suited you better anyway.

#23 Guest_keylimepie~_*

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

There are some major whooping cough epidemics around at the moment not to mention swine flu, so I don't think it hurts to be a little cautious until they've had their immunisations.
Not to mention a couple of measles outbreaks as well. One of which is in my area.  ohmy.gif

#24 ComeWhatMay

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (kaz_april @ 19/12/2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a old woman approached me while i was waitting for DH outside woolies when DD2 was 5 days old he had to run in for a few things and i need to go to the chemist she asked how old DD was and i said 5 days she then said oh 5 weeks and i corrected her and said no 5 days she then went straight into my face and said get that baby home u should not be here! with everyone looking.

I had a woman do this when I was out with DD who was 6 days at the time.  I had gone to go to Medicare to make sure all the paper work was put in correctly.  The lady approached me and was looking at DD and when I said she was 6 days old the lady told me I should be in bed and not out and about and in her day she would have been in bed for weeks and not allowed to do anything.  Once she walked off DH and I had a chuckle about it as to us it showed the differences in what is accepted.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

How bizarre, what s stupid thing to say.
Only is one child families are we blessed with the ability to confine ourselves to our home when we have a newborn.
Our culture tends not to see a home full of extended family who assist in all other facets of housework or childminding so we can give all our time to our new baby-----Perhaps the paed comes from a culture which sees mum and bub unable to leave the house for 40 + days?

When I had #5 on my first day at home we had the 5 year old to kinder, the 4 year old to kinder (a different one) the 3 year old to 3 year old playgroup  which I had to sat at with her and the 1 year old just following us around original.gif
They were healthy, happy and sociable and still are.
OP you are not doing the wrong thing. We are blessed with a pretty healthy environment for our children, we do not need to become prisoners in our own home UNLESS that is the way you prefer it to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.