Early skills as babies/ toddlers = high intelligence later?
Is there a correlation

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 tia2009

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

To those with older children, especially if you have more than one, have you noticed a correlation between early skills and/or development as babies and toddlers and subsequent level of intelligence?

I know children develop at their own pace and there is a wide range of normal but I was wondering if your bub was say for example an early talker, did s/he grow up to be more intelligent than a late-talking sibling? Were there consistent indications from an early age of your child's level of intelligence?

Being as objective as can be of course, as a lot of parents tend to think their children are geniuses lol

#2 Feral Nicety

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

There's a reasonable correlation between early talking in sentences and high IQ but it's not an absolute correlation.  Some early talkers are just that--early talkers.

Early reading is a very good indication of high IQ, particularly self-taught readers who are reading at about the age of 2.

Early acquisition of gross motor skills isn't highly correlated though.

Some very late talkers do go on to be in the gifted range.

#3 ByTheOcean

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

So far my early talkers appear to be (well) above average.   Co-incidence or not, I don't know?

#4 peking homunculus

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

I talked at 9 months and taught myself to read at 4. My younger brother talked much later- at around 14 months and learned to read when he got to school.

He turned out to be a hell of a lot brighter than me.

My niece wasn't  one to hit milestones very early. She was no precocious talker. She is now in Yr 2 and has been identified as gifted and talented. She reads brilliantly, is great at maths, plays the piano beautifully and is quite talented in art. none of us guessed this from when she was a baby.

I think that developmental milestones are just that and early achievement of these milestones doesn't not mean a child is a genius.

#5 SaraW

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Just from our experience, DD5 was a very early talker and talked in complete sentences very early on.  Now, she's a fantastic reader (I would say she reads far better than her 7-yr-old brother) and also very good at maths.  Have no idea what her IQ is, and as I say this is just our experience up to now, have no idea if this will continue.

It's interesting though!

#6 ~Simply*Blue~

My speech delayed ds is very intelligent, as is my early talker  original.gif  Not really a sign if you ask me  original.gif

#7 jojonbeanie

If you are looking for anecdotal evidence only, my 15 year old was slow to talk, slow to roll, slow to sit and didn’t walk until 22 months. He has an IQ significantly above average and is a high achiever academically, socially and musically, as well as being very sporty.

#8 Karlee99

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Well my early talker has struggled with school since day 1 - she is just finishing grade 6 and is on par with what is expected of Grade 4. My late talker is doing much better.

#9 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Albert Einstein didn't talk until he was 3. His parents thought he was developmentally delayed.

How wrong they were....

#10 jojonbeanie

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (~sarita~ @ 09/12/2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a reasonable correlation between early talking in sentences and high IQ but it's not an absolute correlation.  Some early talkers are just that--early talkers.

Early reading is a very good indication of high IQ, particularly self-taught readers who are reading at about the age of 2.

Early acquisition of gross motor skills isn't highly correlated though.

DS didn't bother to talk until late. He skipped the whole babble and single word stage and went straight to complete and complex sentences.

He was a fluent, self-taught, reader by 3.

His gross motor skills were particularly slow.

#11 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

I don't think there is a correlation.

I was an early walker (10mth) and an early talker (I still haven't stopped) and had early fine motor skills. I never crawled.
My brother was a late walker (18mth) and a late talker. He  never crawled.
My brother was selected for a gifted child school program.

Last time we did IQ levels (ages ago) mine was 134 and my brothers was 145 (though I am sure mine has dropped significantly since having children).

oO, and we were both bottle fed  tongue.gif

Edited by cathode, 09 December 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#12 curlypops

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

I have no clue of the actuality but if you want personal experience, here is ours so far.

DS was a late walker however the day he first walked he stood up and just did it, he didn't fall and was running by the end of the day.
He was a very early talker and not just saying complete sentences before 2 yrs, he was having proper conversations and able to interact with adults.
He was late developing his gross motor skills but quite early with his fine motor skills.
He was a very late reader and was not interested in reading till he was 6 yrs. By the time he was 7 years he was reading books suitable for teenagers.
At age 12 yrs he is considered academically advanced.

Turns out DS is a lazy sod so not surprising he was a late walker, he is more inclined to get others to do things for him than exert energy. He even pays his "minions" on games like Runescape to do all his hard work  biggrin.gif

DD was an early walker and an early talker. She also is a late reader. At age 6 we are not sure where she sits on academic scale.

#13 peking homunculus

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (cathode @ 09/12/2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think there is a correlation.

I was an early walker (10mth) and an early talker (I still haven't stopped) and had early fine motor skills. I never crawled.
My brother was a late walker (18mth) and a late talker. He  never crawled.
My brother was selected for a gifted child school program.

Last time we did IQ levels (ages ago) mine was 134 and my brothers was 145 (though I am sure mine has dropped significantly since having children).

How irresponsible of your mother to botttle feed you. If she had breastfed you your IQ's would have allowed you to solve al the problems of the world.

I blame climate change and cancer on your Mum cathode  grin.gif

#14 lustreless

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

My eldest DD was very bright as a baby/toddler and has been "advanced" since then. She is top of her class in everything and very very smart.

She walked at 9 months, was reading at age 3 and the list goes on. My youngest DD is very bright as well, I have a necklace that I was wearing the other day and while I was putting her in the car she grabbed my necklace and said "mummy's hexagon" - the necklace is a hexagon shape.

I will say though that my twin boys are quite bright in thier own ways also but we didn't have the same amount of time when they were toddlers to sit down and teach them to read, count and spell like we did with our daughters (being singletons).

So I think its entirely up to you if you have a bright child or not, there is some natural talent and ability of course but if you spend the time to teach your child things from a young age and read to your child I think it makes a world of difference.

#15 vanessa71

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

My SIL told me that DH didn't speak a word until he was 2.5, however he went on to attend classes for gifted children when he went to school.

#16 Lafevu

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (cathode @ 09/12/2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He He there is hope for ds yet. I wonder if i was late walking, talking etc, because I don't see myself as intelligent now biggrin.gif

#17 bluecardigans

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (tia2009 @ 09/12/2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being as objective as can be of course, as a lot of parents tend to think their children are geniuses lol

Too true.  laughing2.gif

#18 curlypops

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

So I think its entirely up to you if you have a bright child or not, there is some natural talent and ability of course but if you spend the time to teach your child things from a young age and read to your child I think it makes a world of difference.

I tend to think that natural ability is a born trait. DH and I never sat down to teach DS things like counting, colours etc.
For sure reading with your kids and doing other activities would help but I still think some children are born with the potential to achieve more academically. Same with other gifts such as music, art, sport etc.

#19 bubba-licious

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

My DS is 13. He talked very early reached all of his mile stones either before or right on cue & he is an average student (& works hard to be average)
My DD is 11. She did not speak until she was 2.5/3. She did walk at 11 months though. She is a A/B student.

Some parents coach their children from a very early age my 2YO niece for example can do actions to nursery rhymes, count, say the alphabet etc however she can't string 2 words together to actually talk to you. Her mum is VERY full on wanting to make sure that she is learning all the time. Only time will tell if it all pays off.

#20 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (cookieluck @ 09/12/2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How irresponsible of your mother to botttle feed you. If she had breastfed you your IQ's would have allowed you to solve al the problems of the world.

I blame climate change and cancer on your Mum cathode  grin.gif

roll2.gif  roll2.gif  roll2.gif

QUOTE (curlypops @ 09/12/2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turns out DS is a lazy sod so not surprising he was a late walker, he is more inclined to get others to do things for him than exert energy. He even pays his "minions" on games like Runescape to do all his hard work  biggrin.gif

That sounds exactly like my brother original.gif

(tia2009 @ 09/12/2009, 10:52 AM)

I don't original.gif
I think my DS2 has great potential, but DS1 I worry about as he seems pretty thick ... but I blame that on Daddy dropping him when he was a baby original.gif

----

oO, wasn't there a theory or some such that intelligence potential is an inherited trait and that boys intelligence is solely derived from the mother and girls intelligence is a a blend derived from mother and father...

Edited by cathode, 09 December 2009 - 10:41 AM.

#21 peking homunculus

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (lustreless @ 09/12/2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure this is true.

Sounds like you think hot housing makes kids become bright.

#22 JKTMum

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

DD2 was my slowest to crawl and walk, she still at 7 cant ride her bike without training wheels and is pretty unco-ordinated when it comes to gymnastics (quite good at swimming though not sure why)...... but..... was recognising letters at 2, reading short stories by 3 and whole books by 4 complete with fluency and expression. She started Prep a full year ahead in literacy and then it was discovered that she was pretty good in maths as well. She is currently working at least a year ahead in literacy, maths and music. She is I believe ambidextrous, didn't choose a dominant hand until starting school (she chose left), but can write almost as well with her right hand and can do most things with either. Her prep teacher was amazed that she didn't have the usual issues with letter formation and letter spacing that she finds with most left handers, her writing is extremely neat (better than her 12 year old brother and 9 year old sister). I dont think she is gifted (we haven't seen the need for any testing), but she picks things up extremely quickly, except if they are gross motor skills. Oh and her speech has had some problems, she seems to think faster than she can talk sometimes, so it sometimes doesn't come out in the right order.

#23 lustreless

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

Not sure this is true.

Sounds like you think hot housing makes kids become bright.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by hot housing?

#24 Guest_Hi-jinx_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

I was walking at 7 months, was an early talker, but am definitely not gifted in any way.

DD walked at 9 months, but was an average talker.

#25 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (lustreless @ 09/12/2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by hot housing?

Pressuring young children to achieve.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Opinion/Less-ho...2815671504.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.