• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jmag

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

Looking at getting a bike trailer and have only really come across two types:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-in-1CHILD-Bike-Bi...=item41490e5aaa

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chariot-Cougar-2-Bi...=item56365a0fbe

Both vary alot in price, and yes like the expensive one better, just wondering if you know of any in between, doing google searches and can only see these ones

Thanks!

#2 bubmakes3

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi There,

Bike trailers are a fantastic way to keep active whilst enjoying time together as a family! There are a number of options available.
Other brand trailers (apart from Chariot Carriers) would be Burley and Trek - all three are available through bike stores through out Australia. The cheaper one you are looking at is not one I recognise and for that reason (and the price point) I would be wary from a safety/quality point of view

I would highly recommend going down to a store and looking at these in person as you will get a real sense of quality and what you are actually buying.
The chariot ones are the most expensive that is true - they really are the Rolls Royce of the industry, but they do have excellent resale value and a fantastic reputation . They are made in Canada and the company ONLY makes trailers - the other brands I mention are actually made by bike companies (though I believe Chariot actually manufacture the Trek trailer so presume the quality to be fairly good but without the added features). They conform to all relevant US, Australasian and European standards for both trailers AND strollers which is important. The cougar you are looking at on ebay is able to be converted to a stroller (most chariot models are) by the addition of a jogging (one large wheel) or strolling (2 small wheels) kit, you can also get various baby supporters to go into the chassis for newborns up to 1 year. Its important to note you really shouldn’t be riding with bubs until they can wear a helmet and support there own head.

Check out the chariot website www.chariotcarriers.com for a lot more info including demo videos etc.

The Australian distributor - Morris Stanley Ltd will be able to advise if you have any further questions.

As I said I would highly recommend checking these out in the flesh not all bike stores carry them though so check each brands website (or call/email distributors) to find stockists.
Good Luck!
PM me if you want anymore info

edited to add text and remove gaps!

Edited by Couver, 02 December 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#3 ikeaqueen

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

We had one similar to the cheap one for an entire 24 hours.

It sagged something shocking when the boys sat in it, ours was from Kmart for about $99.  We took it back the next day.

Might be worth looking at the Kmart one, it was VERY similar and then you could try your children in it to check for size (DS1s head was touching the top bar when he had a helmet on).

#4 jmag

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

Ok yeah thanks for this advice,

I was thinking if I am getting rid of my double pram (baby jogger) I should try and get the more expensive one as it seems to recline a bit more as the other one does not.

I am going to check them out tomorrow and just thought a bit of 'pre' feedback would be great!

#5 bubmakes3

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Forgot to say - think there have been some previous posts on bike trailers - try a search using bike trailer or chariot as a key word?

#6 jmag

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

WOW thanks for this info, will definately out and check out....
Just need to find what the Chariot cougar looks like in the strolling pram mode....

wink.gif

#7 Lyra

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hi I replied in another thread

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...6&hl=cougar

HTH

#8 bubmakes3

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/gallery.php

Looks like this - pretty cool IMO! The cross country ski kit is pretty neat too - though not so useful here! We used to live in Vancouver and these things are seriously EVERYWHERE!

Edited by Couver, 02 December 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#9 lucylou98

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

We have a Croozer 535 which is the in between brand. It retails for about $700. It converts to a jogging pram and also has a trolley wheel for shopping centres.It also has individual seats and harnesses.
The Burley is a bit unstable in walking mode and only has a bench seat and a silly seatbelt that goes across both kids(friends have it). The Chariot probably will go longer than the others as it has extra height for taller kids. DD1 outgrew our trailer at 5 which was what I predicted based on her growth chart.
The other plus with the more expensive trailers is their total weight capacity is about 45kg.
Only downside of the Croozer is it is a little wide. I can fit through the wider aisle of the supermarket only.

#10 Bondia

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

We have one - a Pacific one. It worked really well but we weren't regular bike riders up until getting it (were hoping it would inspire us to get out more with the kids) and we just found the whole effort of it all a bit much, and found we weren't using it very often at all. For us it involved folding it all up, getting it in the car, getting the bikes on the back, getting it all off at the other end, and even though it really wasn't difficult it just didn't seem to fit with the small amounts of time we found we had for those sorts of activities. I also wanted to be able to use it by myself with the kids, but found it all a bit of an effort (maybe I'm just too lazy!). At the moment we've lent it to my parents but hopefully we'll get sorted when the next baby comes and have another go - it certainly worked really well.

My only warning would be that they are quite wide and you need to be wary on uneven ground. I also didn't feel safe on the road with it.

#11 jojonbeanie

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

We use the Croozer not on the back of the bike but to transport our SN child at the beach and over the sand. We give it a very hard life with no TLC and it has held up wonderfully.

http://www.gear4baby.com.au/p/501987/crooz...-shipping-.html

#12 KimminyCricket

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

We have one (similar in shape to the first ebay one) and it fits 2 children.  It's not flimsy at all and is not only comfortable for the kids, but lightweight for me  laugh.gif   It's a Repco branded one.  

Would you need one that reclines looking at the age of your children in your sig?  My DS is 10months and travels fine in an upright one.

HTH

#13 LittleDCJ

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

My friend is getting a Zigo (www.myzigo.com.au) for her kids.  She'll be taking them to school/childcare on it and then ride onto work.  Definitely cheaper than a 2nd car.

#14 cute*as*a*button

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

We have a pacific.  I brought if of ebay, can remember how much but it woud not have been to expensive.  I love it and so do my boys!  I use it more as a jogger than a bike trailer but I like to run.  Was riding down the street and then converting  to a jogger while doing some shopping but it is a little wide so Iam limited on what shops I can go into.  Have fun if you do decide on getting one!

#15 bubmakes3

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

I just looked at teh Zigo one  (haven't seen it before) . Looks like a great concept but appears you have to buy their bike as well - which looks pretty basic - not many gears and more an around town type bike - so may not be ideal for bike trails, or hills etc.

#16 not-surprised

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

I had a Pacific one but only ever had one child in it at a time.

A friend has a one-child Chariot and it really is fabulous. It converts stroller-to-trailer in about 1 minute. It has MUCH better seating and seat belts for the child.

There is no way that I would put a child under 1yo in the cheaper Pacific style of trailer because the seat is not supportive enough.

The Chariot ones are significantly lighter too - from memory the Pacific one weighed nearly 20kg unladen.

I only had our trailer from when DD was 2.5y until she was nearly 4y. She much preferred the bike seat on the back (which I used from 1y to nearly 4y) and then graduated to a 16" bike with Trail-gator tow bar.

Steph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.