Anyone had the wrong reaction ?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Mel1609

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

We're off O/S in 3 weeks, and I'm taking Phenergan with us on the plane, just as a backup if it's needed. I've never used it before as DD is usually a great sleeper.

But both the GP and pharmicist told me to test it first, as it can make them hyper, rather than sleepy. So I wondered, has this actually happened to anyone ? How common is it ?

#2 sandoz

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

It hyped up my little one, she was 17 months I think.  Silly XH let his mother give it to her because she wouldn't sleep at her house! She was pretty hyped up for a few hours.

#3 ~Mousse~

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

I know that my Mother laughs hysterically when someone says to use phenergan to sedate a kid - it hyped my sister and I up incredibly.

Funnily enough it doesn't do that to my kids though...

#4 bridgeta

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

I know my little sister reacts that way.

Mum thought she'd give it to her to keep her calm on a plane trip when she was a baby, it backfired!

#5 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Am I the only one against drugging kids when there is nothing wrong with them?

#6 Orangedrops

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

5kidsunder7 - no you aren't, I find it really disturbing.

#7 Mel1609

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

So predictable, I knew I would get the judgement comments.

Best to keep it to yourselves really. I didn't ask WDYT.

#8 Indi

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

I'm allergic to it.  Can't remember what reaction I had as it was discovered when I was about 3 and I'm in my 40s now.  Not a common thing to be allergic to but you would hate that to be the case to you child and you discover it on a plane.

#9 lisian

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

I have had soo many people tell me to use it cause DD is such a bad sleeper. But no way never tried it. A plane trip may be a different thing though.

#10 meemee75

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Phenergan can have quite a sedative affect on some adult people. It's recommended you don't drive or use machinery

Children are even MORE sensitive to medications.

I have also heard giving a child phenergan is a SIDS risk but haven't seen any actual documentation.
Still....not a risk i'd be willing to take and my DD was an abysmal sleeper until 12 months.

But it's up to you OP!

ETA - sorry OP just noticed how old you child was "06 _ no SIDS risk but i still wouldn't use it.

Edited by meemee75, 29 November 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#11 CCLady

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Opposite reaction here - we use it for car sickness with the older one. Middle child started getting car sick also... anyhoo, hyped her up and she was even hallucinating at one stage!

I dont think you'll need it anyway, if there are two of you to care for her on a long haul flight then you can take it in shifts original.gif .

#12 whydoibother

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

yep DS had to have it for allergies and he was bouncing off the walls

#13 groovyjellybean

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

You won't know until you try it yourself on your DD as every child is different, but from my previous reading and research into this topic it is not that uncommon to have the hyper reaction to it.... Definitely try it before you go... you want to know how your DD reacts to it... and I'd advise trying it not just once, but a couple of times.

I had to use Phenergan when my DD had an allergic reaction to strawberries with a very itchy rash so she couldn't sleep ... first night she slept brilliantly... second night, she slept terribly... and on subsequent nights (we used it for a week) she also slept terribly...

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yes - DD had an allergic reaction to a bee sting and we were advised to give her some Phenergan.  We thought we'd be in for an easy nights sleep   wink.gif  but nope, we were up nearly all night with her.

Am I the only one against drugging kids when there is nothing wrong with them?

I'm with you on that too.  I've had Phenergan as an adult and it knocked me around for days.  Not something that I would easily give my children without a medical reason.  We've done the international flight with young children thing too.  My thoughts are that you don't want to have a negative reaction (of any sorts) while mid-air and without access to appropriate medical assistance.

#15 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

I knew I would get the judgement comments

I'm sorry, but I find it absolutely appalling that parents think its fine to drug their children.  You are kidding yourself.  All drugs have an adverse effect on the liver.  Sure, often there is a good medical reason to take the drug, which out weighs any possible side effects.  Wanting to knock the kid out isn't one of them.

I would also offer judgemental comments if you smoked around your kids or drink alchol while pregnant.  Sorry if this offends you   :rolls:

#16 Still-here!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I've just traveled to Europe and back with 2 kids - all I had with me in my handluggage was panadol for kids and Brauer Calm. The first just in case of a fever or something and the second in case they went wild, which didn't happen.

I would never use Phenergan on a healthy child, just because it is quite a serious drug IMO. Funnily enough, on the first flight (to KL) I was seated next to an OB and she told me that many of her colleagues (incl paeditricians) use the drug frequently when traveling with kids and think nothing of it.
It astounds me! But, each to their own.

#17 WhiteHeart

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have not given it to my DD and don't intend to since i don't really like to use drugs when not needed and she is asthmatic.

But you did not ask WDYT as you said but please google Respitory depression.

Phenergan can cause young children to stop breathing, i know it mostly occurs in under 2, but children with any kind of respitory ailment (ie.asthma etc) are at risk at an older age too.

#18 Miss Cinders

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Mel1609 @ 29/11/2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're off O/S in 3 weeks, and I'm taking Phenergan with us on the plane, just as a backup if it's needed. I've never used it before as DD is usually a great sleeper.

But both the GP and pharmicist told me to test it first, as it can make them hyper, rather than sleepy. So I wondered, has this actually happened to anyone ? How common is it ?

YES my oldest DS can't take it. He has a terrible reaction to it.
When he was smaller, we used it for his grass allergy... it had a hypo effect & he got very distraught.
When he was approx 11yo the nurse gave him some when he had chickenpox, he had chills, shaking & was incoherent. Very scary.

I agree to give it a 'test run' if you are more than likely going to need it for travel sickness.
[I was going to say to talk to your GP, but you have already... I should read OPs properly sometimes!]

I've used it as an adult when I ran out of Claratyne, and I have to say it was something I won't ever touch again. It knocked me for six and did nothing for my allergies. It was honestly scary.

#19 enzanite

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

My oldest would be sedated with it - I had only used it a couple of times due to an allergic reaction to something (was years ago)

My youngest was no different on it... she goes and goes and goes and goes and you get the picture!  I used it with her when dr had no more solutions to the lack of sleep (at 3yrs old) and she was on max dose with no sedative relief in sight...

Never needed it for middle one so not sure which way he goes on it original.gif

#20 ebt+1

we have travelled to canada and europe with my DS. we did not use medication on either trip. we just made sure that we had an activity for each hour on the plane, I had packed the small snack snap lock bags with different activities, like a matchbox car in one, then a piece of paper and a row of stickers, some snap cards and colouring. The activities on the plane are great too. We also had chupa chups for take off and landing for his ears.

I know how phenergan made me feel once as an adult, so wouldn't risk on my DS. Try it on yourself first and see how it makes you feel.

#21 jusstyce

When I had chicken pox when i was 18 I was given phernergen by my brother [who gave me the chicken pox]. He took them when he had the chicken pox and they knocked him out.
I took the phenergen and I couldn't sleep, it kept me awake and was horrible.

I can take sudafed [which can keep you awake] but I can take it and sleep really well.

So yes, everybody can react differently to it

#22 ~♥~Mia~♥~

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

One of my children goes hyper with it. I would definitely test it before going on the plane. A hyperactive kid on a plane, you would be sooooooo popular - Not!

#23 PrincessPinkenIt

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

We have used it on DD for an alergic reaction (we gave her half the dose recommended) and she went hyper for hours...
I wouldn't use it for sedation though

#24 raisins

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

I think you should just teach the kid to smoke weed. Then all you have to do is make sure you take some extra snacks on board for the munchies. Once that's over, she'll just fall asleep.

Too easy.

#25 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I think you should just teach the kid to smoke weed. Then all you have to do is make sure you take some extra snacks on board for the munchies. Once that's over, she'll just fall asleep

Or maybe just get her really drunk so she can just pass out?   Hmmmm, then you'd have the nasty hang-over to worry about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.