Phenergan
Anyone had the wrong reaction ?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Mel1609

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

We're off O/S in 3 weeks, and I'm taking Phenergan with us on the plane, just as a backup if it's needed. I've never used it before as DD is usually a great sleeper.

But both the GP and pharmicist told me to test it first, as it can make them hyper, rather than sleepy. So I wondered, has this actually happened to anyone ? How common is it ?

Thanks.

#2 sandoz

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

It hyped up my little one, she was 17 months I think.  Silly XH let his mother give it to her because she wouldn't sleep at her house! She was pretty hyped up for a few hours.

#3 ~Mousse~

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

I know that my Mother laughs hysterically when someone says to use phenergan to sedate a kid - it hyped my sister and I up incredibly.

Funnily enough it doesn't do that to my kids though...

#4 bridgeta

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

I know my little sister reacts that way.

Mum thought she'd give it to her to keep her calm on a plane trip when she was a baby, it backfired!

#5 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Am I the only one against drugging kids when there is nothing wrong with them?

#6 Orangedrops

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

5kidsunder7 - no you aren't, I find it really disturbing.

#7 Mel1609

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

So predictable, I knew I would get the judgement comments.

Best to keep it to yourselves really. I didn't ask WDYT.

#8 Indi

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

I'm allergic to it.  Can't remember what reaction I had as it was discovered when I was about 3 and I'm in my 40s now.  Not a common thing to be allergic to but you would hate that to be the case to you child and you discover it on a plane.

#9 lisian

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

I have had soo many people tell me to use it cause DD is such a bad sleeper. But no way never tried it. A plane trip may be a different thing though.

#10 meemee75

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Phenergan can have quite a sedative affect on some adult people. It's recommended you don't drive or use machinery

Children are even MORE sensitive to medications.

I have also heard giving a child phenergan is a SIDS risk but haven't seen any actual documentation.
Still....not a risk i'd be willing to take and my DD was an abysmal sleeper until 12 months.

But it's up to you OP!

ETA - sorry OP just noticed how old you child was "06 _ no SIDS risk but i still wouldn't use it.

Edited by meemee75, 29 November 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#11 CCLady

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Opposite reaction here - we use it for car sickness with the older one. Middle child started getting car sick also... anyhoo, hyped her up and she was even hallucinating at one stage!

I dont think you'll need it anyway, if there are two of you to care for her on a long haul flight then you can take it in shifts original.gif .

#12 whydoibother

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

yep DS had to have it for allergies and he was bouncing off the walls

#13 groovyjellybean

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

You won't know until you try it yourself on your DD as every child is different, but from my previous reading and research into this topic it is not that uncommon to have the hyper reaction to it.... Definitely try it before you go... you want to know how your DD reacts to it... and I'd advise trying it not just once, but a couple of times.

I had to use Phenergan when my DD had an allergic reaction to strawberries with a very itchy rash so she couldn't sleep ... first night she slept brilliantly... second night, she slept terribly... and on subsequent nights (we used it for a week) she also slept terribly...

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yes - DD had an allergic reaction to a bee sting and we were advised to give her some Phenergan.  We thought we'd be in for an easy nights sleep   wink.gif  but nope, we were up nearly all night with her.

Am I the only one against drugging kids when there is nothing wrong with them?

I'm with you on that too.  I've had Phenergan as an adult and it knocked me around for days.  Not something that I would easily give my children without a medical reason.  We've done the international flight with young children thing too.  My thoughts are that you don't want to have a negative reaction (of any sorts) while mid-air and without access to appropriate medical assistance.

#15 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

I knew I would get the judgement comments

I'm sorry, but I find it absolutely appalling that parents think its fine to drug their children.  You are kidding yourself.  All drugs have an adverse effect on the liver.  Sure, often there is a good medical reason to take the drug, which out weighs any possible side effects.  Wanting to knock the kid out isn't one of them.

I would also offer judgemental comments if you smoked around your kids or drink alchol while pregnant.  Sorry if this offends you   :rolls:

#16 Still-here!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hi OP

I've just traveled to Europe and back with 2 kids - all I had with me in my handluggage was panadol for kids and Brauer Calm. The first just in case of a fever or something and the second in case they went wild, which didn't happen.

I would never use Phenergan on a healthy child, just because it is quite a serious drug IMO. Funnily enough, on the first flight (to KL) I was seated next to an OB and she told me that many of her colleagues (incl paeditricians) use the drug frequently when traveling with kids and think nothing of it.
It astounds me! But, each to their own.

#17 WhiteHeart

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have not given it to my DD and don't intend to since i don't really like to use drugs when not needed and she is asthmatic.

But you did not ask WDYT as you said but please google Respitory depression.

Phenergan can cause young children to stop breathing, i know it mostly occurs in under 2, but children with any kind of respitory ailment (ie.asthma etc) are at risk at an older age too.

#18 Miss Cinders

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Mel1609 @ 29/11/2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're off O/S in 3 weeks, and I'm taking Phenergan with us on the plane, just as a backup if it's needed. I've never used it before as DD is usually a great sleeper.

But both the GP and pharmicist told me to test it first, as it can make them hyper, rather than sleepy. So I wondered, has this actually happened to anyone ? How common is it ?

Thanks.

YES my oldest DS can't take it. He has a terrible reaction to it.
When he was smaller, we used it for his grass allergy... it had a hypo effect & he got very distraught.
When he was approx 11yo the nurse gave him some when he had chickenpox, he had chills, shaking & was incoherent. Very scary.

I agree to give it a 'test run' if you are more than likely going to need it for travel sickness.
[I was going to say to talk to your GP, but you have already... I should read OPs properly sometimes!]

I've used it as an adult when I ran out of Claratyne, and I have to say it was something I won't ever touch again. It knocked me for six and did nothing for my allergies. It was honestly scary.

#19 enzanite

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

My oldest would be sedated with it - I had only used it a couple of times due to an allergic reaction to something (was years ago)

My youngest was no different on it... she goes and goes and goes and goes and you get the picture!  I used it with her when dr had no more solutions to the lack of sleep (at 3yrs old) and she was on max dose with no sedative relief in sight...

Never needed it for middle one so not sure which way he goes on it original.gif

#20 ebt+1

we have travelled to canada and europe with my DS. we did not use medication on either trip. we just made sure that we had an activity for each hour on the plane, I had packed the small snack snap lock bags with different activities, like a matchbox car in one, then a piece of paper and a row of stickers, some snap cards and colouring. The activities on the plane are great too. We also had chupa chups for take off and landing for his ears.

I know how phenergan made me feel once as an adult, so wouldn't risk on my DS. Try it on yourself first and see how it makes you feel.

#21 jusstyce

When I had chicken pox when i was 18 I was given phernergen by my brother [who gave me the chicken pox]. He took them when he had the chicken pox and they knocked him out.
I took the phenergen and I couldn't sleep, it kept me awake and was horrible.

I can take sudafed [which can keep you awake] but I can take it and sleep really well.

So yes, everybody can react differently to it

#22 ~♥~Mia~♥~

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

One of my children goes hyper with it. I would definitely test it before going on the plane. A hyperactive kid on a plane, you would be sooooooo popular - Not!

#23 PrincessPinkenIt

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

We have used it on DD for an alergic reaction (we gave her half the dose recommended) and she went hyper for hours...
I wouldn't use it for sedation though

#24 raisins

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

I think you should just teach the kid to smoke weed. Then all you have to do is make sure you take some extra snacks on board for the munchies. Once that's over, she'll just fall asleep.

Too easy.

#25 6'n'out

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I think you should just teach the kid to smoke weed. Then all you have to do is make sure you take some extra snacks on board for the munchies. Once that's over, she'll just fall asleep

Or maybe just get her really drunk so she can just pass out?   Hmmmm, then you'd have the nasty hang-over to worry about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.