What temperature is too hot for kids to be outside on playground?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 newhope

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

I just drove past my kids school, they are outside playing. It is 40 degrees outside. Do you think during a heatwave the kids should play inside like they do on rainy days?

I do!

#2 !!!

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

I agree with you, 40 degrees is too hot to be outside playing (or doing anything)

#3 Dani

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

I guess it also gets back to the old "our grandparents, our parents and even ourselves used to play outside and live" so I would think nothing twice of seeing kids tearing around at lunchtime.  That said they mostly have 50+ hats on and the teachers overseeing them would be hammering them to keep drinking water and they would be under shadecloth at a guess so no I'm not overly anal about that kind of thing.  They're kids - kids do what kids do.  Any clued up kid would be staying very still in the shade but playgrounds shouldn't be off-limits on the back of a hot days I don't reckon.

#4 meljb

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

from a high school teachers perspective - it is almost impossible to keep some kids inside no matter what the weather/temperature. I have, mostly boys, come to class bright red in the face and drinking gallons of water because they have been outside in the middle of the day playing football/basketball etc. They do the same thing mid-winter on wet horrible days.

#5 tothebeach

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

As long as there is some shade and they're drinking enough water, I'd be fine.  Children need to run off energy.

#6 moo~tickle

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

at my school (primary), we sometimes let the kids out when its hot, but only under the shaded area, and they ususally arent allowed to play running or ball games. we will often put other 'quiet' games out for them to play. if we kept them inside all day, they tend to go stir crazy (as do the teachers)

#7 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

In a school situation, I wouldn't have a problem as long as they were wearing hats etc. But my kids aren't outside atm, they are all under 5, it's just way too hot.

We have the air con on so they are far better off in here, when it cools down a bit later they can go and play then.

#8 manhattan

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Well, we always played outside when it was snowing, so I probably wouldn't protest against kids playing in the heat provided they were adequately sunblocked, shaded and watered AND at least offered the option of staying inside and keeping cool instead.

Edited by manhattan, 20 November 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#9 JKTMum

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

Our school generally keeps them inside (airconditioned) on days over 35C, just like they do on wet days. On days between about 30 and 35C they open the hall up so that kids can go in there and play boardgames if they dont want to run around outside. It's not airconditioned in there, but at least it is shady and there are ceiling fans to keep the air moving. Unfortunately our school doesn't have many areas with shade, they have two shadesail structures and some verandahs. but no mature trees. No where near enough areas to keep the entire school population out of the direct sun.

Edited by JKTMum, 20 November 2009 - 01:03 PM.

#10 more than just Mum

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

I dread the thought of my daughter being outside in that heat. She has a condition that means she cannot be in the sun much, and so have learnt that a hat is nothing. What about long sleeves, sunscreen etc etc.

Are the teachers putting sunscreen on before the kids are alowed outside?

#11 goldimouse

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (more than just Mum @ 20/11/2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are the teachers putting sunscreen on before the kids are alowed outside?

Teachers can remind students to reapply sunscreen, but just to be a realist - this would take far too much time in a primary classroom. They would never get out to lunch if they had to supervise the application of sunscreen to 25+ children.

Also, more than just Mum - does your daughter's teacher know about her condition? If so, I would imagine you have nothing to worry about.

I have no problem with kids running around in this heat. I did it as a kid. I know of no primary school where they are allowed to play without hats. They'll drink heaps and heaps of water and run off all their energy - early to bed tonight! Celebrate I say!

My main concern would be the high schoolers who don't wear hats on a day like today. There will be some burnt teenagers out there I would imagine.

#12 newhope

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

That's the thing, they do wear hats, but no sunscreen is supplied, although my two do take their own - my DD will apply it herself, and hell would freeze over before my DS put it on instead of playing)

I think if the school was sensible about it I wouldn't have my knickers in a knot. This is the same school that turned the water off for a whole day, and didn't offer the kids without drink bottles any water!!

#13 sparassidae

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Our school follows wet weather protocol on days like today- dvds on in classrooms and the children only allowed outside for quiet play under the verandahs.

I know  that's what happened today because I was up there just before lunch checking on 5yo DD who had a medical situation exacerbated by the heat, and a total of 7 staff members looking after her. sad.gif

Our school has intermittent power on days like this because of inadequate supply and high demand, so there was no returning to an air conditioned classroom to look forward to if they played in the playground- basically hot days are just a constant struggle to even keep lessons moving.

#14 manhattan

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

OT, but are teachers meant to put sunscreen on kids? huh.gif I consider that part of my job before they leave the house each day. Or are we talking about re-applying it later in the day?

#15 more than just Mum

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Also, more than just Mum - does your daughter's teacher know about her condition? If so, I would imagine you have nothing to worry about.

I have made them aware, but I am not sure exactly what they do - I am not there to check! My DD has been "trained" to put her own sunscreen on at recess and lunch, and to play in the shade whenever possible. She has her own sunscreen in her lunch box and knows that when she eats, she put it on.

But she will be in a classroom of about 6 kids and two teachers, so I know there is a higher chance of them looking after them.

Sorry, I dont agree with there not being time. They manage at day care, so why not primary when the kids are more able? It would take only about 5 min, and with Australias skin cancer rate, it should be part of the every day.

OT, but are teachers meant to put sunscreen on kids? huh.gif I consider that part of my job before they leave the house each day. Or are we talking about re-applying it later in the day?

IMO yes. I apply it in the morning, but it will have worn off by recess and lunch so I believe teachers should ensure primary kids are protected.

I realise that high school kids should just be doing it themselves (and I realise that 99% of them wont), but we should be making it a standard part of the day so it becomes habit.

Edited by more than just Mum, 20 November 2009 - 02:21 PM.

#16 newhope

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I don't think teachers should apply sunscreen, but I do think they could say to the kids when they are on their way out to lunch, 'remember to put your sunscreen on'. Or spend 1 minute, and lets face it, if kids were doing it themselves that would be all it took, before going out for lunch supervising kids putting it on. Like I said previously, my DD does it anyway, my DS is too busy running for the playground for anything to stop him!

#17 goldimouse

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

Could you ring the office and check on her that way more than just Mum? I'm sure they would be happy to check, given she has a medical reason for staying cooler.

It would take only about 5 min

I dispute this. It would take much longer than that in any classroom I've ever taught in. At daycare they have much higher staff/student ratios, and school isn't a daycare service anyway. It's school.

Teachers SHOULD have sunscreen in their classrooms and remind students to apply it especially on days like today. I think their responsibility ends there.

#18 Ireckon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

We picked DD up from school today, it hit 44.3..

Having said that, I let them outside on days like today..for 5-10 minutes, then get them back inside for a drink and rest.

DD has her own sunscreen in her bag, she knows to apply it herself. I don't hink that should be part of a teachers job, as a PP said, to apply it to 25 kids would be very time consuming. They are school age, they can have some responsibility . DD has been sunburned once. She did not like it at all, so is quite diligent with sunscreen.

#19 nessiehorses

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was up at school at lunchtime.  They were all in air-conditioned classrooms, eating, colouring, playing on the computers, watching DVD's board games etc.  It's extreme weather policy.

Our school does have two big shaded areas and many many mature trees, but I don't agree with  them being outside in the heat of the day, They can come home and play outside when it cools down later.  

#20 ~meh~

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

DS1 had his first day of school today.

They were outside when i picked him up. They have big sail shades over the playground and all children are required to wear a broad rimmed hat.

I cant see it being sane to keep that many kids in classes all day!

#21 alchemist77

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Where we live it is 40+ degrees all through summer, my kids play outside during school lunch times, the boys play soccer and handball, the girls still run about playing their games.
As long as they are encouraged to drink water, their bodies cope quite well.

#22 brazen

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

we had 38' here today and apparently the kids were kept in at lunch time

can't say that ever happened when i was a kid LOL

(it also rained part way through lunch so that might have been part of the reason)

#23 Spa Gonk

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I don't have a problem with it.

I live in a hot climate and if there was a heat policy my kids would be kept inside 6 months of the year.  I'd much rather have them outside than sitting inside watching DVDs.  DD's childcare will bring them inside sometimes if it is really hot.

Those who don't agree, what do you do at home if your kids want to go outside?  Lock them in?  I'd much rather let DD out for a play and have her come back in when she is hot than listen to a tantrum original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.