Matt Blatt replica furniture

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gruffalo

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

Considering ordering some dining chairs online as unfortunately can't get to their warehouse to take a look.  Anyone ordered from Matt Blatt before? What did you think of the quality?

thanks!

ps as well as Matt Blatt considering Milan Direct as they seem to have some good deals.  Anyone got any experience with this company?

Edited by uptheduffagain, 17 November 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#2 tothebeach

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

We bought some bar stools for our kitchen bench from Matt Blatt.  Had to take one back straight away is it was broken.  Ended up replacing all of them within two years as they basically got all cracked or the gas lift stopped working.  Now have some normal ones from a furniture store and they seem to be holding up better.

#3 Gruffalo

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

mm, not such a positive experience then!

We are looking at replica Eames DSR chairs - the ones with the Eiffel bases.  So I guess not going to have any gas lift issues, but there's plenty of other things that could go wrong.

I'd still be interested to hear from others, but thanks for the feedback to date tothebeach - food for thought!

#4 LemonLyman

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Can't help I'm afraid, but I always look at their ads!   original.gif

I've seen another similar company advertised lately:

http://www.clickonfurniture.com.au/

And this one came up on google when I was checking the name of the above:

http://www.replicafurniture.com.au/?gclid=...CFdMtpAodompWrw

NO idea about either of them, but thought they might be worth a look!

#5 catnik

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

I've bought a chair from Matt Blatt and love it! It's the Jens Risom replica lounge chair. I hadn't seen it either before buying it, as we don't live in Sydney.

The quality seems good to me. Admittedly it does just sit in the corner of our bedroom and never actually gets sat on! but it looks great. I also think, you do get what you pay for, and it is all made in China. There used to be a shop next door to where I work that sold similar replica designer furniture, the owner of the shop told me about his buying trips to China, he said there are massive warehouses full of this stuff and there are different quality grades. You can see on Matt Blatt's website for some of the furniture they have a 'premium' grade and a cheaper version. I'd probably go for the better one rather than the cheapo version.

Friends of ours bought some Matt Blatt bar stools a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems.

Hope that helps!

Cat.

#6 ~Levity~

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've been wanting to buy those chairs for AGES, but never did because the postage costs to our home were ridiculous. Also I was worried about the metal legs rusting/tarnishing - they're just cheap chrome.
A few days ago I ended up ordering the Eames DSW (maple leg) chairs from another replica site, that were cheaper than Matt Blatt. I thought the timber legs might actually wear better, and they're not much more expensive. Plus I think they go with our furniture better.
Will let you know what they're like. As a PP said, I'm fairly sure they all come from the same CHinese manufactuers. I believe the "premium" versions of furniture at Matt Blatt mostly relate to leather - the premium sofas use real instead of bonded leather or vinyl.

#7 Gruffalo

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Levity, I'd be keen to hear what you think of your new chairs.  Also the store you ended up buying from, if you are okay with saying.  

DSW is actually the type I'm after - got mixed up earlier.  The ones with the wooden legs.  I figure these will look nicer with my table plus the lazy housekeeper in me thinks the dust/marks will be less noticeable on wood!  DH is a bit worried they won't be comfy.

#8 MadamFrou-Frou

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

I bought the Eames RAR rocker from there and haven't had any problems.

#9 .Ally.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

I have the Eames eiffel base chairs (6) for about 18 months and have had no problems. We live near the Coast and no issues with rust/tarnish as of yet..

I did think when I screwed the bases in they were a bit cheap - but hey they are cheap  tongue.gif - and there was no way I was buying originals.

#10 Gruffalo

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi Levity, just wondering if you've received your chairs, and if so, what did you think of them?

tks

#11 ~Levity~

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hi - I just received a clock I ordered, but am still waiting for the chairs - they're supposed to arrive "any day now", sigh, I hate waiting!

#12 ~Levity~

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

They finally arrived!
I bought the ones from here:
http://www.milandirect.com.au/shop/dsw-din...s-eames-reprod/
You have to screw the legs onto the base which is very simple.
They have clear plastic 'feet'.
On the site they're described as being "ABS Molded", but on the box they say "Fibreglass"... I'd say they're probably ABS but they do seem like fibreglass - certainly significantly different to standard plastic.
They have a super glossy smooth finish, and are very comfortable. Overall quality seems high. I'm very pleased with them!
They seem to be a quite faithful reproduction of the original:
http://www.livingedge.com.au/catalog/view....r=78&page=3

#13 Gruffalo

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

thanks so much for popping back in with an update.  Sounds like you are happy with your purchase!

I've been eyeing off those Milan Direct ones as well.  Now just have to convince DH (who is coming around to the idea of this style of chair but tells me now he prefers the metal leg.  grrrr!)

#14 michelleandbubs

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

We have the eames dcw chairs and can't fault them at all.
They are comfortable and wipe down easily even after my grub DS has finished dinner.  They were freighted 500km a bit exxy but they arrived in one piece.

HTH
Michelle

#15 twotoddlers

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've bought both the Milan direct version and the Matt Blatt version. I must say when you put them side by side the quality of the Matt Blatt version is better (and it's only 10 dollars more)
Matt Blatt has a showroom as well so I went to have a look at the latest ones they have on discount at $69

http://www.mattblatt.com.au/Replica-Dining...c.aspx?p1451c24

I'm interested in buying a couple more but not sure if the gloss will go with the matte.

You gotta be careful when buying replica's because they are all manufactured in factories in China and the images the companies used are all stock photos (of probably the real thing). I'm glad Matt Blatt has a showroom so I can check it out before I spend a bucketload on my furniture. I mean if you think about it, you buy a couple of duds and you might as well fork out money for the real thing.

In general Matt Blatt's stuff is quite good! I think that's the reason why you find their prices are a bit more premium, I believe they buy the higher quality replicas.

#16 The Old Feral

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I bought some Eames dining chairs from them (the wood ones, DCW I think?)  and they've been great.  Had them for years and no problems.

HOWEVER I am less than impressed with Clickon furniture, on the weekend I picked up some of the plastic "eiffel tower" style chairs and - having waited weeks and weeks for them to arrive, found 3 of the 4 of them broken!  Not happy.

I agree all replica furniture is going to be pretty cheaply made o/s but my Matt Blatt experience was a lot better.

#17 ComradeBob

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

My mother has a lot of Matt Blatt furniture and has been very happy with it. One thing that made her very happy recently was their customer service policy, as I overbalanced on crutches over Christmas, fell heavily onto a Borges Mogensen 3 seater sofa, and cracked the base  ph34r.gif The sofa was  two years old, but they were more than happy to take it back to be repaired, and I think mum actually got a new sofa out of it. There was not problem at all and they couldnt' have been nicer about it.

She also has a couple of Eames replicas and has never had any problem. They're very sturdy.

#18 Jupiter

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

FYI: A couple of advertising posts have been removed from this thread, which explains why it has been bumped.

#19 Chelli

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Jupiter original.gif

#20 Cymbeline

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Gone

Edited by Cymbeline, 30 December 2013 - 08:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'He said what?': partners' worst pregnancy clangers

Women have been sharing the worst things their partners have said to them while pregnant, and trust us they're bad.

'Cafe's babycino ban makes no sense'

It's an insult to families and bad for business.

The importance of welcoming everyone into your 'mum tribe'

"Not everyone has the luxury of a village." 

How to have a healthy vegetarian pregnancy

Q: Is it possible to have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy?

The 200 most popular baby names of 2017

Here are the most searched names so far this year.

Dirt is good for children, study confirms

Great news for grubby kids.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.