I just Saved Over $300....
Buying From The UK.....WOW

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 morgansacre

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I have bought a Belfast sink (or Butlers sink as its called too) and I wanted a particular tap to go with it. I found the name of the tap is a Bridge Sink Tap. I have looked on a few web sites here in Australia and they average out at just over $500....yes for just a kitchen sink tap.... ohmy.gif

I hunted every ware and finally got one from the UK for $205 including DHL courier postage, so registered and tracked.

I cannot believe a tap cost so much here and to get it across the other side of the world cheaper is astounding.....

I have actually got a lot of my bargains from overseas as the prices here for some particular items are so OTT.

Has anyone else had to get something they wanted from another country?

Lynn

#2 earthschildren

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

I have recently bought a 1920s flapper dress for an upcoming party ( cant get one here) and also some Pandora beads from the US.

I am waiting delivery for them. It will be interesting to see if the beads are the real mccoy and if they are I will post the link here.

I paid $100 all up including epxress international post ( inc traking) for the dress

#3 Dani

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Has a LOT to do with how our dollar is travelling....hence it being a good time to buy from the UK.  Yesterday I bought DH some GBP as he's heading there today and for AU$650 I got back GBP350 - that's pretty bloody impressive I must say!  original.gif

#4 Wild Strawberry

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

DH has just brougt a few items for his motorbike from overseas and it worked out quite a bit cheaper.

#5 igs

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hey Lynn!
Great news on your bargain! Saw your request for an web address - who did you end up ordering through if you don't mind me asking? We are building at the moment and have also thought about sourcing from o/s.

Thanks,

#6 karenjoy

DH a few years back purchased a motorbike helmet from the US because it was around $200-$300 cheaper than the same one here.  Unfortunately he wasn't made aware that when the item arrived in Australia, he would be subject to import duties, which amounted to over $100.

Hence, if you're buying from O/S make sure you read the fine print so you know if you'll be up for any additional charges.

Karen

#7 Tigster

My best friend found the wedding dress she couldn't live without but it was too expensive for their budget. After a bit of searching online she found it on an American website and had it shipped out for less than half the cost! The strange thing was that it was an Australian designer...

#8 upup

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

I bought a tripp trapp chair on a recent trip to the UK for $170 here they cost $350!

I also bought parts for my MX5 before from the Uk and about half the price.

#9 donuts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Thats great news !!!

With the dollar so good now I would love to get a Kitchenaid from the states but the shipping would cost a fortune becasue it's over 11kgs. sad.gif  ... have to keep dreaming wink.gif

#10 *JAC*

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Unfortunately he wasn't made aware that when the item arrived in Australia, he would be subject to import duties, which amounted to over $100.

Hence, if you're buying from O/S make sure you read the fine print so you know if you'll be up for any additional charges

Karen - import duties and taxes are only applicable to items valued over AUD 1000.00 (also applies to several items in the same shipment).

I recently bought a Dora laptop computer off EB from a UK seller and it cost me AUD 37.21 including postage!  Not bad hey!

#11 milasmummy

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

I would love to know which website you went through too Lynnie,  as I am thinking about putting in a belfast sink also.  Thats if you don't mind sharing original.gif

#12 morgansacre

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

The tap I got from a UK seller on Ebay, it was the last one laughing2.gif her name is Lisa and her username is amber-business she has over 2,000 + feedback and the tap is lovely. It weighs 2.4kg and was only 37 pounds for registered and trackable postage.

I did see some very cheap taps, very similar from Hong Kong and China....but you can see the quality just isn't there.

The sink is a Belfast look alike laughing2.gif there is no way I could afford the $600+ for one, and it would have been too big. So I got the next best thing from IKEA. The double sink was about $299 I think.....they also come with the sink plugs, those ones you lift up to empty the sink and push down to fill up the sink. They are much better IRL than in their catalogue or online.

Now I just need taps for the bath, 2 sinks and 2 showers. I even have a 5ft long claw footed bath waiting to be installed, I got it out of an old derelict farm house for $200 laughing2.gif again another bargain. I love bargains...when you can find them Tounge1.gif

Lynn

#13 milasmummy

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

Wow Lynnie, thats awesome!  Thanks for the info on the lookalike Blefast sink from Ikea, must rememeber that when the time comes to buy the sink.

#14 curlypops

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

now is a great time to buy from OS (although playing with NZD is never so good). My brother imported his new bicycle from Europe for $14,000, same thing would have cost over $20,000 in Aussie.

The thing that puts me off big OS purchases is the warranty or the need to return them for repair if faulty.

#15 paris-stella

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

I used to buy a lot of horse gear from the UK.  Their riding jackets were 160 pounds, but in Aus, they were about $700.00.

They are much better quality and a fraction of the price.

#16 curlypops

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Karen - import duties and taxes are only applicable to items valued over AUD 1000.00 (also applies to several items in the same shipment).
not always. A parcel under AUD$1000 can also be stoped and require customs clearance. generally it is under $1000 but don't count on it. If people are importing good to a value close to the $1000 mark they need to be aware that they may also be charged duties etc

#17 paris-stella

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

I imported horse gear that was less that $1,000 and I had to pay import duty. I think the price depends on what the item is, whether it is clothing etc - as they all attract different rates.

#18 *JAC*

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes.

From Here.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure I'm right.  paris-stella - unless your horse gear required a permit, or some special circumstance you should not have paid duty.  You should be elligible for a refund on duties that you paid.

not always. A parcel under AUD$1000 can also be stoped and require customs clearance. generally it is under $1000 but don't count on it. If people are importing good to a value close to the $1000 mark they need to be aware that they may also be charged duties etc

Sorry, this is incorrect.  Unless it is an item that requires a permit or is prohibited (or is alcohol/tobacco), any goods up to (and including) AUD 1000.00 are duty and tax free.  They may do random (redlines) inspections or the like, but these do not result in duty and tax being payable.  Also AQIS may hold up your items for whatever reasons, which could also incur charges, but defnitely no duty or taxes should be applied.

Hope I made sense.  I kind of know what I'm talking about - have been a freight forwarder for over 10 years, although have been a SAHM for over 18 months so could be a bit rusty lol.

#19 Tyfle Hour

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

The taps sound like a great buy.

I'd be extremely wary about buying a motorbike helmet from os as they need to be certified to meet the Australian standards.  This would especially become an issue if you wre involved in an accident and had to have dealing with insurance companies and the like.  Not worth the saving, IMO.

Also, the standards are different in different continents.  From memory, in Europe they only have to protect against one impact whereas in Aus it's two (which is what would happen in most cases - fall from your bike, then impact against something else.)  So you may be getting an inferior product, even if it meets standards in the country you bought it from.

Spend the money and buy a Shoei from your local bike shop.

#20 Wild Strawberry

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (~SuziQ~ @ 22/10/2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be extremely wary about buying a motorbike helmet from os as they need to be certified to meet the Australian standards.  This would especially become an issue if you wre involved in an accident and had to have dealing with insurance companies and the like.  Not worth the saving, IMO.

Also, the standards are different in different continents.  From memory, in Europe they only have to protect against one impact whereas in Aus it's two (which is what would happen in most cases - fall from your bike, then impact against something else.)  So you may be getting an inferior product, even if it meets standards in the country you bought it from.

Spend the money and buy a Shoei from your local bike shop.

I agree. My husband won't buy a cheaper helmet from OS for this reason (and i wouldn't let him even if he wanted to)

#21 kat11

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

I dont want to put a damper on things, but all taps installed by a licenced plumber in Australia must have  WELS star rating.  IF your taps dont come with this (or have been tested for this) then a licensed plumber is technically not allowed to install them.  All taps sold in AUstralia have this.  Your UK ebay ones might not, but are probably ok if the same tap model etc is already here.

I found this out when I was thinking of getting my taps from Dubai where they are much cheaper than here.

See WELS

Kath

Edited by kat11, 22 October 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#22 morgansacre

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Kat - Yes they are WELS rated. I checked, but thanks for that, might help someone else. And yes they are available here, the exact same ones, but at a higher price. Though what about using reclaimed antique taps....they wouldn't have a WELS rating though? I'm looking for more taps, and was thinking about antique ones.

No I wouldn't buy a helmet overseas, those I like to feel, touch and read up on.

Ghee some great bargains are had by lots of people.....glad the exchange rate is so good now....might as well keep buying laughing2.gif

Lynn

#23 BeYOUtiful

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Sniffed out the word KitchenAid

How much are we talking Shipping? biggrin.gif

My fear would be faulty/repairs

#24 Charmzy

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

I wanted a Peg Perego P3 stroller about 18 months ago and in stores here they were $600-800, I found one in the US and had it shipped over for $370 including shipping in much nicer colours than I could get in australia too!

#25 *LucyE*

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (`Jane05`)
Sniffed out the word KitchenAid

How much are we talking Shipping? biggrin.gif

My fear would be faulty/repairs

And different power.  For something like a Kitchen Aid mixer, a simple converter would not be sufficient.  You would need a transformer which is pretty exxy.  Also the warranty may be invalidated and generally repairers in Oz won't touch it.  PITA but such is life.  I personally, am happy to buy electrical goods o/s but make sure the price is good enough to cover all the above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.