Where to start? As the kids get older, experience tells me that (a) it pays to be prepared with lots of ideas (b) I need to get my kids on board and enthusiastic about said ideas and © I enjoy the holidays so much more and find them vastly more relaxing if I am flexible about not ticking everything on my list off or pinning my hopes on doing certain things.
Read the full article "21 things to do in the school holidays"
Here are the 21 ideas (some are Sydney-based but there may be similar activities in your region)
1. Plant some veggies or herbs together. Cost $10 approx.
2. Visit Bundeena and the Aboriginal rock drawings. Cost $0
3. Day at the beach. Cost $0
4. Bushwalk in one of the many other National Parks. Cost $0-11 for park entry
5. Rollerblading/biking in Olympic Park. Cost $0
6. Visit Kangaroo Valley and Bendeela Campsite where wombats can be seen at dusk. Cost $0
7.Camp-out in garden or living room depending on weather. Cost $0
8. Park and picnic visiting Darling Harbour followed by ferry to Manly Beach. Cost parking & ferry
9. Kids Bedroom Make-over. $0-you decide.
10. The No Particular Reason Party – invite as many people as you like to bring a plate of finger food & a bottle. Cost $0
11. Invite a playdate around. Cost $0
12. Lego Space Police at the Sydney Observatory or one of their many other free programmes. The Observatory also have exciting sounding tours for kids and families, not least the 3D Space Theatre and night visits with a cost attached. www.sydneyobservatory.com.au Cost $0 -$45 per family.
13. Explore the Australian National Maritime Museum, making sure to check out the screening of a special episode of Round The Twist (1.30pm daily, 4-18 Oct). Cost $0
14. Art Gallery. Cost $0-$30
15. Get to know your city: visit Elizabeth Farm, Rouse Hill Farm or Vaucluse House. Cost $17 per family.
16. Write an adventure story together. Cost $0
17. Get the kids to put on a fashion show & join in. Make sure you film it or take photos for posterity, it’ll make great memories for the future. Cost $0
18. Make Christmas cards together – Cost $0
19. Breakfast at the beach. Cost $0-you decide.
20. Picnic in your local Botanic Gardens. Cost $0
21. Fairs & markets.