Has anyone used TENs method during labor

14 replies to this topic

#1 sallyh99

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hey All
My sister and I are pregnant together and she is quite a few weeks in front of me, she mentioned the TENs method for pain releif during labor and I cant find a great deal of information about it..Has anyone used this before?

#2 P!NK

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Yep, I used it for my second labour and loved it. I had a 30 min car ride to the hospital and found it fantastic to manage the pain which always seems twice as bad in the car. At the hospital I found it great as it really helped me focus through each contraction and made them far more manageable. I felt 100% in control the whole labour and will definately use it with my next.

#3 Puggle

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

I loved my TENS machine, it got me through four days and nights of really painful posterior pre-labour and one of labour. I nearly cried when I handed it back in!

I hired mine through the hospital's physiotherapy department, it was only about $40 or thereabouts once I got my deposit back, and that included several heavy duty batteries and the electrode pads - so it was very reasonable, really. Some pharmacies hire them out too, and there are also places online.

My recommendation would be to make sure you have spare heavy duty batteries on hand in case you have a long labour like I did, and a spare set of adhesive electrode pads wouldn't go astray either (the  adhesive wore off my original set as I was having the taken off and put back on again each time I got in and out of the shower, which was fairly often). I got more from a pharmacy - check with them, you might be able to return the pads if you don't use them and they are still sealed and you have the receipt etc.

#4 kaycee3005

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

I had my first baby in the UK where the TENs is very popular - I loved it and didn't use any other pain relief for labour (which for me was realatively quick 6hrs - so don't know how I would have gone for longer) They also tell you to practise with it for about six weeks leading up to labour and I found it really helped with the back pains you get closer to the date.  With my second - born here in oz - I couldn't find a pregnancy TENs so used a physio/sports injury one - wasn't quite the same but still got me through for most of my labour (which was induced and they are apparently worse but it was quicker so not sure...) I had gas and air right at the end but didn't feel that that helped as much as the TENs (dr wouldn't let me have TENs on for final stages).

I would only use it for the first time though if you can get a pregnancy one with the instructions for using it during labour etc (and if your planning a water birth - it's no good at all!)

Good Luck!

#5 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hi,

I will be following this thread with interest as I have hired a TENS and hope to use it for my labour.  I went to an information session on how to use the TENS run by a physiotherapist and arranged the hire through them.  She was very enthusiastic about using them and quoted statistics showing that the % of epidurals is greatly reduced when TENS are used (sorry can't remember exact figures).  

These websites have information about TENS and hire them;
http://www.labourtens.com.au/
http://www.tensaustralia.com/units_freemom.asp

It looks like I will be having an induction in the next few days for medical reasons.  Apparently you can use TENS for an induction but you need to start using it a hour before they insert the drip to give time for the endorphin production to start.   That is the theory anyway, I will find out soon if it really works!

Edited by bottle~rocket, 12 September 2009 - 06:35 PM.

#6 Megs21

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

I have one ready in my bag for this labour. I hired it online from mama tens.

So I can't say if it worked for me or not yet, but I figure its worth a go....

I only used gas for my previous 2 births. I was only in labour a couple of hours with each so I am hoping hands.gif that this one will be the same.

#7 Amysha

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

I used it for #1 and will be hiring one again this time. Which reminds me I really should organize to book one.

It was great for when I was at home and early stages but I did end up having an epidural so it was removed at that point. Kept me busy and gave me a different sort of sensation when at home which I felt distracted me from the feeling of the contractions.

#8 sephora26

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

I used an obstetric TENS for my labour with DD and it was fantastic.  Make sure you hire an obstetric TENS machine and not a standard sports injury/physio one, and good luck with your labour  original.gif

#9 Puggle

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

Yep, definitely an Obstetric one, they have 'boost' buttons for during contractions.

Just remember to switch the 'boost' off at the end of a contraction. Towards the end (before I was allowed in the shower and then bath and didn't need it anymore) I was forgetting to turn it off, and DH would sometimes forget to remind me. So the next contraction would ramp up, I'd press 'boost' and actually turn it back down to the normal level. Ouch ouch ouch! That's how I knew it was definitely doing good things for me.

#10 Kafkaesque

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

I also had an obstetric TENS for both my labours. Loved them! Not sure how much effect it had on my actual pain (may have may not of) but the feeling of having some control was great.

Would have one again should I ever have another baby.

#11 smudgiekiss

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

Firstly definately get one.  Better to try anything to help you cope before you resort to drugs.

Didn't work for me.  I just didn't like it.  Reminded me of getting zapped by static electricity, and I really don’t like that.

That said please do try it.  You never know what will work for you.

Swaying and doing Hooller Houp type action with my hips while a warm shower sprayed onto my lower back was what worked for me.  Proud to say completely drug free birth.

Every single person is different.  Just go with what feels best.  Have as many options available to you that you can muster.

#12 Fastrunnydog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

yes yes and yes again. Get an obstetric one with the booster button for contractions.  I hired mine from Mama Tens - about $50 i think?   Mine was a long long long posterior labour and I don't think i would have survived without it. As a PP said, how much effect on the pain it had I don't know, but the control factor was good.

good luck!

#13 GardeningGirl

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

I havent used one before but will be getting one hopefully tomorrow.  The nurse who was giving me some info said to start using it before hand so you know what you're doing, but also because its gets plenty of endorphins prepped for the big day, sort of gets them used to responding or something??

She also said she knows a lot of women who have used it for post-birth pain too with great success.

#14 shellbelle08

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

yes.  I used for both my labours and would thoroughly recommend them!  I used the provider bottlerocket mentioned and they can deliver the units to you.

I didn't use it until my labour was established - although they recommend using it in early labour but I found it was very effective.  First labour was about 9hrs, second about 6 hours.  No drugs or intervention.  I could move around easily and I loved pressing the boost button (got a bit focused on that!)

I took it off for the final pushing stage as it had done the job by then.  I think next time I will try to use it for the afterbirth contractions too!

good luck!

#15 sallyh99

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hey All, Thanks for all your replys, i think I will defenitly give it a go...why not hey!!. Thanks again

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.