What is your 4 month old sleeping habits
day and night

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 charliebean

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

My DD is 4 months and has started sleeping pretty well in the day (1 hour morning nap, 2.5 hour midday nap and 1 hour afternoon nap)

DD still wakes twice for a feed in the night and sometimes a few more times on top of that for the dummy.

im just curious to know what other 4 month (or other bubbas around that age) sleeping habits are.. ?

Thanks original.gif

Edited by nat7878, 05 September 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#2 Zeldagirl

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hi

My DS has 45 min catnaps during the day and goes down for an 11 hour night sleep starting at about 7:30pm.

He wakes up frequently, every 1.5-3 hours.  Usually we get the longest stretches at the start of his sleep.  I feed him when he wakes around 10-11pm, then resettle when he wakes before, say, 2am, then I feed at around this time, then resettle when he next wakes at about 4am, then feed at about 5am.  He is awake at about 6:30am.

This is an extremely rough outline, but what is constant is that he wakes frequently!!!

#3 roxy1981

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

At the moment DS is sleeping shocking, day and night. He catnaps in the day, usually 30 mims at a time, yesterday I was lucky to get an hour, he has about 4 sleeps. At night he wakes a thousand times and then gets up for the day at 6:30! I am shattered. I feed him at 10pm, 2am and 6:30am, he hasn't been putting on weight so I figure he needs all he can get. There is something giving him pain though, just not sure what, maybe reflux or an intollerance, but I've already posted about that and am going to the dr again to try and find out what it is.

You are lucky, your DD is sleeping great in the day!

Edited by roxy1981, 05 September 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#4 *RockTot*

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

At the moment DS is awake about 30-40 mins before his next feed, then after the feed is stays up for 30 more mins, then its straight to bed where he'll sleep through until 30 mins or so until his next feed (so about 1.5 or 2 hrs sleep after each feed). We are still on 3 hourly feeds, except for o/night when he sleeps from about 10 or 11 until around 7am.
Certainly enjoying it while it lasts though, because it don't think teething is far away!

#5 trinabean

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

my little boy was only waking every 5 hours until he hit 4 months.for the past 2 weeks he has been waking anywhere between 2 -4 hrs and won't resettle without a feed.I put him down for the night between 6-7 and on a good night he is up at 11 but from then on it can be every hr or2 until arond 6ish when he will go back to sleep until 10 (or 11 sometimes!)Very frustrating that his long streches of sleep always happen when I am up and he wakeful when i want to sleep!!!Really hopeful that this is just a phase and it will soon pass!

#6 lucy-lu

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

my 14week old USUALLY sleeps from 630/7pm ish to 630am ish, with a feed around 12am and then one around 3/4am. However the past 4 nights he has woken about 4 times during the night, each time hungry.... Last night after we came home I gave him a dream feed at 1130pm and he didnt wake up 4am, and then again at 630am (YAY!) so we may be back to the usual routine. During the day he will usually have 1 long nap 2-3 hours, this is generally in the morning or over lunch time, and then the other two naps are 45min - 1.5hours.

#7 Charmzy

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Tash is 4 months in a week. She sleeps overnight for about 10-11 hours.  Through the day it varies, she has a couple of good sleeps for 2 or so hours but as we are in and out all day with kinder/school runs a lot of her naps are interrupted! Thankfully shes not fussed by this lol

#8 lou~c

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

Phoebe catnaps during the day, this has got a little better after I started the feed, play sleep routine but her sleeps only consist of about 20min with the occassional 45min sleep here and there but certainly not every day.

At night she has been sleeping great in the last week, we live in QLD so I hold her bath out until 8pm then she has her bottle then she is in bed by 8:30-9pm, she sleeps soundly until 1:30-2:30am where I resettle and give her a dummy, then she wakes again until around 5:00am, I give her a feed then she goes back down for another hour or two.

This has been pretty consistant for the last 4 nights so I am just hoping it continues

#9 Obesa cantavit

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

my 15 week old generally has multiple 40 minute sleeps during the day. However probably every second day she will drop in a 1.5-2hr nap just to keep me on my toes laughing2.gif

At night she generally goes down at 6pm and wakes for a feed sometime between 2am and 5am. She is up for the day at 6am.

She is my best sleeper by far.My other girwsl were waking 1-3 hourly at this age.

#10 ecb

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

My girls go down at night by 6:30pm and sleep through until 6-7am (I'll wake them by 7am if still asleep but that's rare). Occassionally (maybe once every 10 days) they'll wake around 3am. I give them a dummy and that's the last I hear from them (although the other night they 'talked' to each other for an hour before finally going back to sleep - that was one of the mornings I had to wake them at 7am). During the day they're awake for about 30mins before and then 1hr after a feed (total 1.5hrs awake max). If they wake from their morning or early arvo nap in <1.5hrs, I don't get them up. They just whinge at me if I do cause their tired. I just keep trying to settle them back to sleep until we get 30-40mins from their next feed.  At least if they stay in their cots there's a chance they'll do another sleep cycle. Their late afternoon nap they'll just do the one 45 min sleep cycle then I throw them in the pram and we go for a walk.  So, daytime is usually 2x 1.5-2.5hr sleeps plus 1x 45 min and then possibly another short catnap in their pram while we're out walking.

For those of you who feel like their babies sleep is regressing a little at the moment, they go through a major developmental leap around 19 weeks that can cause them to be fussy from about 14-20 weeks with a particularly nasty week at about 17 weeks (all bases on when they were due so if 1 week early expect this 1 week later or if 1 week late, expect this 1 week earlier). If you want to do more research on this, google 'Wonder Weeks'. Good news is it should all be over with by 20 weeks. Until their next leap, that is (around 26 weeks).

Edited by ecb, 06 September 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#11 Happypinks

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hey!
My DD is 16 weeks, she has a 1-2 hour sleep after her first feed, so around 7:30am then has an hour sleep early afternoon, and a 30 minute cat nap around 3ish...then for the last 3 weeks has been totally zonked out by 5pm...! We either wake her for her last feed at 7pm.....or she will wake around 6:30pm and we give her last feed and she goes back to sleep at the very latest 8pm and sleeps through until 6:30 - 7am.

I think as they grow and get older their sleeping habits can change, we have very lucky with her sleeping through the night from 8 weeks....but her day time routine has changed somewhat in the past 3!! Go figure!

#12 natnoodle

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

The days vary for us, my DD is a big catnapper, sometimes she can have 4 x 45minute sleeps during the day, others she might have a 1-5-2 hour nap in the moring and afternoon, other times she has 2 x 45min in the first half of the day then a big sleep (like she is doing now) in the afternoon.  However no matter what the day brings she is always in bed by 7.30-8pm at the latest and wakes at 6.30am.  

I have tried numerous sleeping routines, trying to stretch her to have longer sleeps in the day but she generally just tends to do her own thing.  If she does have a bad day with her naps I just put her in the car or the pram and she is asleep within minutes.

#13 fairystar

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hi Ladies,

My princess is a daytime catnapper and frequent feeder. Things seemed to be good when she was about 8 weeks old for about two weeks and after that it's been worse. She was having 4 x 20-40 min cat naps per day and feeding every two hours for abt 6 weeks. I've stretched the feeds now to 3 hourly and she now has 1 nap in the morning lasting abt 1-2 hours, a catnap ard midday lasting 20-30 mins and another catnap in the late afternoon lasting about 30-40 mins. When she wakes during the day she appears very alert, happy and wants to play.  

After her bath and a feed, I put her down at abt 6.30pm at night and on a good night she wakes every 3 hours. She usually wakes up a few extra times due to wind. This has been going on for a while. I've tried rocking, patting, the dummy, letting her cry and getting hubby to settle her but nothing works except feeding. She's gaining weight and my milk supply doesn't seem to be low. I've also tried solids but she's not ready. I've also eliminated various foods from my diet to prevent her from being windy. I feel like I've tried everything.

I've spoken to the nurse for advice and she's met my baby a few times now. She reckons my baby is not the sleepy sort. I was desperate last week and so sleep deprived I was becoming really depressed. I rang a service which runs a day program to help mums and bubs. I ended up in tears after the call cos the staff member sounded burnt out, condascending and just didnt listen. Her brillant advice (not) was to rock and pat for the next 2 weeks and call back in 2 weeks. I told her what methods I had tried and she accused me of chopping and changing things which is not true! I felt like a bigger failure after talking to her. I tried to call Tresillian but the line is always engaged.

I keep hearing it gets better and each child is different. Every morning when my princess wakes up and smiles at me she just melts my heart and then I just remind myself of this advice.

#14 roxy1981

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Milkbutton- your baby sounds very similar to mine day and night. He used to go 9 hours between feeds at night, now he goes 3 and wakes in between with wind. I have had the pamphlet out for day stay this morning, but I am hoping he will suddenly come good! I have no idea what's causing his wind, I thought it was tomatoes but I haven't been eating them so it must be something else. I don't have any advice, just to let you know you are not alone! I have started reading Sheyne Rowleys Dream Baby Guide which is massive and I have no idea how I'm going to get through it all, but there is some really good info in there for when they are over 6 months which I hope works!!

#15 fairystar

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Roxy1981, thanks. I'll look up the book you mentioned. It's reassuring to know I am not alone x.  

To the other mums, thanks for sharing too!

Edited by milkbutton, 08 September 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#16 Zeldagirl

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Milkbutton, you are definately not alone!

Last night my DS slept 10pm - 1am, then 1.30am - 4am, then 4.45am - 6:15am!!  But that's ok...it won't last forever!  original.gif

Edited by peachy-keen, 08 September 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#17 thelms

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

I came on to start the same topic so I will just join in!

My DS is 4 months tomorrow and feeds 3 hourly through the day, has one 5-6 hour stretch at night then back to 3 hourly. I have a friend whose baby is the same age who sleeps 7-7 without a feed but is also on solids (has been for a month now  ohmy.gif ). My DS has just started in the last week or so sleeping slightly better during the day - usually 1.5 hours in the morning, 2 hours at lunch and a catnap in the afternoon. I do need to resettle during these sleeps - replace the dummy!! At night after his 5-6 hour stretch he does wake a little for the dummy. My DD was a shocking sleeper so I don't mind getting up for the dummy because he does go back to sleep.

Good to know others are doing the same original.gif

#18 *1pink&1blue*

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Reading this makes me feel so much better! My 5 month old DS was a good sleeper with 6-8 hr stints but for the past 3 weeks he goes to bed between 7 and 8pm and wakes 2hrly from there on and will only go back to sleep with a breastfeed! It is starting to take its toll so I am really hoping this is just a phase and will pass soon!!! I am trying to teach him how to self settle but without much luck so far - he just screams until I fed him to sleep!

#19 Bubba_loo

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi there,
My 4mth old goes down at night at about 6pm sleeps and we dreamfeed at about 10pm which then will see us anywhere from 2pm-4pm she wakes for a feed (we keep her wrapped and she will go straight back down) and will wake anywhere from 6-7am usually. She feeds generally 3hrly and is probably awake from 1- 1/2 hrs between feeds.
I cant wait for her to start sleeping through. Im hoping it may come when she starts solids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.