How do you organise your kids "outside" toys?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sibling4charlie

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi all,
I need some help with my backyard.  It is a disgrace!

We have a swing set, a trampoline and a small sandpit.

Then there are just toys and crap everywhere - and I don't know what to do with it.

Where do you all store your tonka trucks, sand toys, balls and frisbees etc - so that they are available to play with each day, but aren't a mess.  I have thought about a big plastic tub, but one tonka truck would fill that up.  There must be a better way.  

Any ideas and pictures would be great.  When DH returns with the camera, I will take a before photo, so that I can be motivated to create an "after"...

#2 ~meh~

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

we have a swing set, trampoline, basketball ring and bikes.

The bikes and trikes etc get stored against the wall under the veranda, and we have a small cupboard which we store trucks and balls in. It has a draw in it aswell which is great to store things like the hose attachments.

Have to say whilst we have places where things "should" be, outside things are just around everywhere until the lawn mower man comes!

#3 Wild Strawberry

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

We use a big wooden crate DH got from his work when we moved across the country original.gif Makes starage easy as boys just throw all the outdoor stuff in it. We just need to paint it as looks a bit plain.

In it goes all the tonka stuff, balls, any other random outdoor toys.

We have a shell sandpit and sand toys get stored in there.

Bikes/trikes (which need a cull) just get stored under the patio at night.

#4 3_for_me

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Haven't done it yet as we are about to move house but when we move we are going to get a couple of the timber bench seats with the lift up seat and storage space underneath, one for the kids toys and the other for the bits we use in the yard(gardening tools, etc), they are a couple of hundred dollars admitedly through places like Bunnings but we figure that we'll use them as part of the 'outdoor setting' so they are multipurpose

#5 baby*girl

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I have big plastic tubs from bunnings screwed up the side of our timber play fort.  I just throw any sandpit toys etc in there. We have an outdoor patio area in the middle of our yard which houses the childrens bikes, motor bike etc.

#6 Overtherainbow

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

We have big platic tubs from Kmart that are designed to put chair cushions in.  Have worked well,  hoping to upgrade with timber chairs from bunnings for the look of it.

#7 don14

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

my backyard is a mess abut when it is tidy and neat it is due to this
http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4.as...=13&Scat=54
with 3 of these tubs in it
http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4.as...=13&Scat=54
all balls and the like go in one sandpit toys another and bats and bigger toys in the top one.
these are great and a great price too.
this is in my patio with bikes etc next to it all next to the sanpit.
sometimes the bies and bigger toys live in the sanpit if i need the space lol

#8 AuntyK

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

We had the big tub but the plastic would get brittle and it ended up just being more mess across the yard as it broke into pieces. Then we saw one of those big metal boxes for tools on sale (half price) and invested in two of those - one for outdoor tools and one for the kids toys. It still looks as good today as when we bought it 6yrs ago as the metal doesn't rust and it is sturdy so even with the kids using it as a seat or walking on it to look over the fence, there are no dents or issues at all.

Certainly would recommend one if you can find one cheap.

K

#9 Jembo

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

We have a wooden bench seat from Bunnings and in that goes all the balls and bats and other crap just get thrown in.

Sandpit toys stay in sandpit, bikes at the back of the house.

Cubby house stuff thrown in cubby house etc.

The bench seat is great, was about $200 from Bunnings.

#10 clare78

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

All our sandpit toys just stay in the sandpit, which is about 3m x 3m and has a wooden frame so they don't get the in the way of cars, tractors, etc.  Balls, mic items go in a big round tub that is usually in the shed, and trikes/ride on things are stored in our shed or on the verandah.

The only thing that DH insists on is that rugby balls are not left out in the sun.

#11 Wickedness

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

i found a big outdoor plastic box with a lid like a blanket box size in Kmart. on special its $100. i now have 2, one for kids crap and the other for pool crap.

#12 ~FrenchFries~

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

I am looking at those contianers too!

I would prefer a wooden one which doubles as a bench seat. Dh will be makingone soon.

Our sandpit toys stay in the sandpit.

Most things like the play  high chair and blackboard live in the cubbyhouse.

The bikes are hung on a bike rack along an outside wall.

We also have a permanent art and craft table set up outside.

I quite like the "busyness" of our outdoors area as the kids love to be out there playing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.