Still no autopsy result after 6 months

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 roni03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

Why does it take so long for an autopsy result?
I have just rung again to find out if the results are back for my stillborn son since the 9th of February and was told that they should be about 4 to 6 more weeks.
The not knowing is driving me insane.
I want to try again before it's too late for me at 41 but an scared until I know the results.

#2 MagentaBaby

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

This seems unusual to me, Roni03. At any rate, certainly very unfair sad.gif There was a member, I don't know if she's around anymore, who started a thread (****warning - p/m's discussed in the thread**** read it here). If you don't find any answers in that thread, perhaps you could even PM the EB member? She may be able to give you some solace/answers??

I do hope you are given answers soon. It just seems very wrong to keep grieving parents waiting for so long. I'm very sorry.

#3 ~NFItoday~

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

It does seem like a long time. I had preliminary results after 6 weeks, and the full results  just before Xmas, so about 16 weeks after DS passed.

Hope you find out soon what is going on.

#4 5ratbags

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

We are still waiting here for autopsy results and my OB discovered at the 6 week check when he queried it that it would probably take at least 3 months to come back.

I know of someone who's daughter was stillborn and they waited 5 months, I guess it could come down to where you live and how busy they are  shrug.gif

Take Care

#5 Zoe girl

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

OMG that is way too long!!  I had a stillborn at 21 weeks and we got our results within a couple of weeks and that is factoring in Christmas and New Year holidays.  I was already kicking up a fuss at my turnaround time.  I say keep complaining because it is not fair to keep you waiting that long.  It was your precious little one and you need to know.  Get in touch with the hospitals consumer advocates!!

#6 MrsPug

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hope your results come in very soon. The waiting is horrid.

#7 rhianna2000

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

We had Tyler's results, including his full DNA results about six weeks after he was born. I would be speaking to the doctor who ordered the autopsy. At any rate, I am surprised it has taken so long.

I share your fears with age and limited time ect. I am in that zone myself. I feel my time is running short now, and my last two pregnancies have resulted in tears and heartbreak. Its a fine line we walk, isn't it? To wait until optimal, or rush on because of time restraints?

I wish you luck, and hope for a favourable outcome soon.

#8 3pink3blue

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

It took close to 10 months for my sons autopsy results to come back. I hope you hear something soon.

#9 mickeymouse

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

Our results came back about 9 months later. It was hard, as I had started to heal and it opened up the wound again I guess.
Im sorry its taking so long for you, I guess it depends on what kind of tests needed to be done.
Our DD died from SIDS, I dont know if that means dif tests to a still birth?

I hoe you hear soon and that you are able to start TTC again soon

Edited by mickeymouse, 02 September 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#10 ~*Caroline*~

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

My son's autopsy took approx 1 year to come back.  It was hell.  No one would give us any explanations as to why it was taking so long and whenever we rang, we were totally put on the back burner.

We have recently found out why but I won't go in to it on here.

Keep calling.  Keep hassling.  

I'm very sorry for your loss.

#11 shae1980

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

It took about 6 to 8 months for my daughters autopsy results to come back after many months of hassling and talking to my doctor who had received the results within about 3 months... I ended up getting a copy from my doctor (unknown cause of death) which meant I still had no answers as to why she was still-born and as someone else posted it just opened up the wounds that had started to heal, I half wished I hadn't worried about ordering an autopsy. Hang in there... the results will come in.

#12 Earth-Angel

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

My dd was a SIDS death and we are STILL waiting for the autopsy results more than 12 months later!!

#13 Gabriel'sMummy

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

I don't know what help I can offer but here goes...

I can't even begin to imagine what you incredibly corageous women have gone through losing children, but after working in the position of paediatric autopsies for a number of years, I understand what it is like from the other side of this situation.

It really does depend on where the autopsy was performed. Small hospitals with a small number of autopsies can report results quite quickly. Larger hospitals with a large number of autopsies can take many months. Coroners autopsies can take many months more.

Please understand that a lot of work goes into an autopsy and reporting it thoroughly (and so it should). There was nothing worse for me than having to report 'No identifiable cause of death', so I can't imagine what it must be like for a parent to hear this about their child.

Try to think of it like this... while we have not yet reported your autopsy, we are hard working on the many cases that have come before you. I worked in a large hospital that received cases from across the state, so waiting times seemed incredibly long.

I hope I have not sounded too cold or clinical, unfortunately that is how I have become with this issue (possibly a coping mechanism for the years of sadness I have seen), but that I may have shed a small amount of light on a very sensitive issue.

Like MagentaBaby said in an earlier post (and I am rudely assuming she is talking about me!) I am around, if you want to discuss anything. I do not profess to have all the answers, nor am I a doctor, but I have seen enough to be able to help, even if only for a little bit!

Thanks for reading an incredibly long post!

#14 clare78

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

I am in QLD and I remember talking to some ladies in my SANDS group and it was not uncomman to wait for nearly a year in Qld for results from autopsies.  Apparentlyl they are just not a priority in Qld hospitals, which is why there is such a low rate for autopsies on stillborn babies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.