Kindergarten Reading Levels

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 healthytwins

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hi

Just wondering what the average reading level is at this stage of the year for a kindergarten child?  My boys are on level 3 and 4.  I help out at school with reading and most of the kids in the boys' class are on level 4 and 5.  I'm a bit worried about my son who is on level 3, as he doesn't seem to be improving on this level?  Does anyone know what level they are supposed to reach by the end of the year?

Thanks

#2 Jazz3

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

In ACT, they are supposed to be on level 5 by the end of Kindergarten.

So 3-4 sounds fine to me for the beginning of term 3.

#3 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

In NSW they should be at level 8 (RR Levels) by the end of Kindy.

Some sight word practice will help at this stage, both reading and writing them.  original.gif

#4 mum850

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

In Victoria, level 5 by the end of Prep.

#5 healthytwins

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Level 8..he's got a fair way to go... mellow.gif

Thanks for your replies ladies.

#6 JRA

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Level 8..he's got a fair way to go..

Don't worry, once they get started children can go through those levels fairly quickly

#7 blueksy

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Also, just remember that levels differ between manufacturers.

I think level 3 is pretty good going.  I think its important not to stress about it.  Reading is suppose to be enjoyable - and kids learn at different paces.

I see DS come home with level 3-5 books, but according to him, he is on level 8...  and some kids in his class are level 10 - hmmm...  I will have to ask his teacher what the deal with that original.gif

#8 snowy

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

blueksy, teachers often send home readers that are a few levels lower than the child is working on at school. This gives the children the opportunity to practice their fluency and expression without the challenge of difficult words. It also helps the children's confidence in reading.

My kindy DD in NSW is bring home level 8 readers. I'd like to second one of the PP's  recommendations on sight word practice. It really helps with their reading progress.

Not sure what level they are expected to achieve by the end of the year though.

#9 LiveLife

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

to be honest I feel stupid that I still cant even work out what the reading levels actually are wacko.gif

we have 4 books out from the library at present that are early readers, one is a fitzroy reader #11 (does that mean it is level 11?), another by Sails literacy that is level 2 yellow (so have no idea what that means), a storylands book by Blake education that says level 9 (does that mean it is level 9?), and lastly one from the reading corner series that says is is grade 2 with 2 pink stripes...... I chose these books from the library myself as I thought they were all roughly DD's level but lord only knows what level that actually is????? does your school actually sit your all down and explain it all to you? are you all teachers and thats why you know about these levels?

#10 mum850

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Livelife, that's why worrying about levels is a waste of time.. really! They are only used in the classroom and nowhere else. Just pick books your DD will like!

#11 JRA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

I chose these books from the library myself as I thought they were all roughly DD's level but lord only knows what level that actually is????? does your school actually sit your all down and explain it all to you? are you all teachers and thats why you know about these levels?

No. As a parent you don't need to know the levels.

The children bring home take home books that are appropriate for their level. it is not something I need to worry about. the books have already been "grouped" in to levels by teachers etc, and for us each level has a different colour. Generally the level as prescribed by edn dept (or whoever) is written in pencil inside, just so if the label is lost it does not need to be regraded.

When getting from the library the children get books they want/like.

For other reading books we just get books that he can read or not read. If he can't read them, I will read them, but I know he will move up to them. For instance in prep initially there is no way DS was able to read the rascal series he had been given the christmas before he started school. So we read them to him, as he progressed he started reading them himself. This happens with other books, the star wars, zac power etc. As they get more confident they read them

the key is not to stress
does your school actually sit your all down and explain it all to you?

But they do sit all parents down and explain how to read with the children, and how to help them and how to deal with the take home book each night, and that it is important NOT TO STRESS. in the same way children all learn to walk at different ages, they learn to read at different ages.

Edited by JRA, 02 August 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#12 kyrrie

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Do try not to worry OP.  Just keep reading and make it a special and fun time.  

I'm a great believer that children get reading in their own time and all we can do is give them the tools they need: phonics etc, lots of words and enjoyment.  Then if next year the school offers extra programs like reading recovery, take advantage of them.  You'll find that once both your boys click with reading they will start to fly through the levels.  Just don't worry if it's not tomorrow OK.

Livelife, many of us know nothing about the levels at all (apart from what I've read here).  Our school colour codes.  Parents are still aware of what colours are high although I haven't seen parents being competitive about it.  Occasionally a parent whose kid is doing really well will want to tell me (so it doesn't sound like they are boasting to other parents) but I have no idea of the colours so I just always make appropriate noises.  tongue.gif

Each series seems to have a different grading system.  I did see a comparison chart somewhere so they are out there, but it wouldn't have all series on it obviously.  I always just did a flick through the book looking to see if it was suitable for DD.

#13 mum850

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

cclap.gif
what kyrrie said!

#14 Julie3Girls

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

I agree, level 3 books coming home doesn't mean he is on level 3 readers in class. Home readers are often a couple of levels lower because they are meant to be positive reinforcing, not teaching.

I agree entirely with simply enjoying reading. We do the home reader, and then find something else my daughters want to read - sometimes I read it, sometimes they read it, sometimes we take turns.

So like the other PP, I wouldn't be really worried about the levels. But just to give you a bit of reassurance, I've found that the kids will often stay on a particular level, and they are kind of grouped - like level 4 and 5 books are pretty similar. But then they suddenly to seem to jump up a bit.  From what I've seen at our shcool, level 3 is pretty common at this point - my daughter was at that level a month ago, she is now bringing home level 5 books.

#15 Sal78

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

don't worry too much. it could just be that they haven't been tested for hgher levels yet.

DH is a year 1 teacher. a lot of his kids were only n level 3 or 4 at the start of the year (even the brightest kids) but now they are level 20 and beyond. One boy went from level 3 to level 24.

It's because they haven't been taught to read yet. sight words is just a small part of literacy...its' the whole of literacy inc writing, spelling etc

#16 Bel_J

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

I don't recall being taught to read at all when I was in kindy, so I was impressed that my step son even had a reading program in pre-school.  As long as they get the concept of letters making sounds, and the sounds making up words I don't see how they can go wrong.  They'll get it eventually.

#17 mum850

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Bel_J, kindy in NSW etc is prep in Vic etc. So the OP is referring to kindy as in the first year of school, not kindy as in pre-school.... confusing, eh?

#18 member21

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

Confused aobut kind reading levels our school in NSW doesn't use number they use things like E1, E2 - how does this relate to level 8 (reached by the end of kindy in NSW)?

any help appreciated.

#19 donthavetv

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

We don't even start reading at our school until Yr 1 and as far as I know, by the time they get to Yr3 our kids are on par with those from other states that start earlier.
Yr 1 for us starts at 6.

#20 rachelwang

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

That is the conversion between two systems I copied from some previous post.  My daughter's school use E1 - CD system as well, that is why I kept them.

E1 - Emergent 1 RR Level 1
E2 - Emergent 2 RR Level 2,3
B1 - Beginning 1 RR Level 4,5
B2 - Beginning 2 RR Level 6,7
B3 - Beginning 3 RR Level 8,9
B4 - Beginning 4 RR Level 10,11
F1 - Fluent 1 RR Level 12,13,14
F2 - Fluent 2 RR Level 15,16,17
F3 - Fluent 3 RR Level 18,19,20
Ext - Extension RR Level 21,22,23
CD - Countdown RR Level 24,25,26

#21 mumto3princesses

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Oh thanks for that. I was wondering how it compared.

Healthytwins - I have twins in Kindergarten as well. We just had our parent teacher meetings and we were told they would like them to be at the end of B2 or the start of B3 by the end of the year. But then again some kids just don't catch on as quickly and it's not uncommon to have some going into year 1 on B1.

I'm SO glad I put my girls in seperate classes! DD2 is on B2 in class but she likes them to bring home one level below whatever they are on to read at home. She said she was pretty sure if she tested DD2 on B3 and even B4 right now that she would probably be able to go up but she is leaving her as she is for the moment and not rushing her through the books. But DD3 was really struggling and things have only really recently started to click. She has only just gone up to E2 this week.

#22 akabanna

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

like them to be at the end of B2 or the start of B3 by the end of the year.

my DD is prep, and the teacher said about level 6 by the end of the year. so that is on par with B2.

She also said if they test at level 6, then they send home level 4, as the want the home readers to be easy. About two levels below where they are at.

she also said many times that it does not matter what they read, or even if we are reading some of them to them, as long as they are getting into the reading habit.

she said my DD is at about level 6, so I should not worry. (even though she is not that keen on reading since starting school!)

#23 hamiriver

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

OP I may differ here in my opnion. I think you need to talk to the teacher and establish where they would like your child to be at the end of the year. The reader level is also linked to what sight words they are/should be learning.  You dont want this to be a surprise converstaion at the end of the school year that DS isnt where he should be-ie. before they go to grade 1 they may need to understand /read a certain level of instructions to do classwork.

In QLD at Grade 1  we have been told they like the kids to be on level 11 by the end of the year.
My ds could not read a word at the start of the year, but now is reading level 10 books.  They will all of a sudden take off when they get the hang of it. It also comes along with sight word learning etc.

I do agree with pp that at home we dont worry though about reading levels and pick books which he thinks he can read and would enjoy. Those may be a combination of harder and easier books. We do read the 4 school readers he gets from class each week, several times as well.

I wouldnt panic either, but do have a talk to the teacher.

#24 IBM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

CODE
Livelife, that's why worrying about levels is a waste of time.. really! They are only used in the classroom and nowhere else. Just pick books your DD will like!

This is the best advice you will get. If you son is doing his home readers and working in the classroom then he is learning to read at his own pace. My eldest DD went into school reading just about fluently then my second DD barely knew the sounds letters make when she started. Now my second DD is reading well although for Kinder and Yr 1 she was at the bottom of the class. It just took her a little longer to pick up.

Let you son choose books at the library that interest him even if they are too hard for him to read. If he enjoys looking at the pictures then he is enjoying the book and that is the best thing for him.

#25 *blessed*r*we*

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

Prep in Victoria has a government benchmark of Level 5 for end of Prep original.gif

Ds#1 started prep this year and is currently bringing home level 12 readers and would do about a level 15 in guided reading with the teacher at school. Because he went up the levels very quickly, I started having to do blends with him as the texts got more challenging ee ea ai oo etc. Obviously at school this term they've delved more into blends original.gif

Normally I notice that children in Grade 1 really take off with their reading, when I used to graph my kids at school on their reading over the year, Grade 1 was the most extraordinary graph, they can just go from Level 5 when they finish prep and just zoom up rapidly (as reading growth takes off) and be on Level 18 (for example) by the end of Grade 1 (benchmark for Grade 1 in Victoria is Level 15, Level 20 by the end of Grade 2). You find in Grade 2 that the reading level's plateau off as comprehension becomes more crucial (so its' an important skill to learn straight away, even in the level 1 readers, you can discuss what the book was actually about and do a retell to start comprehension.) Many parents of older children may become frustrated that their child is no longer zooming along in levels, while accuracy can be high, comprehension is more detailed original.gif

HTH, just keep on reading and enjoying the text, learning to predict, break down down words, read on and read back (to maintain meaning if your not sure of a word) and build sight words original.gif Model how enjoyable reading can be original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.