Elevit or Blackmores Conceive Well Gold?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 inlovewithlife

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hello ladies,

I am wanting to start taking prenatal vitamins, but have heard and read from some people and that their doctors recommended Elevit while others recommended Blackmores Conceive Well Gold.

What did you take or can you recommend I take?

My girlfriend and my cousin took Elevit, but both said at different times that it made them nauseas so I was wondering whether this was a common thing?

I'm not seeing my OB until September so was wanting to start taking some now, rather than wait and asking him in September.

Thanks heaps  wink.gif

#2 Ashtonsmum

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:43 PM

hi,

I highly recommend blackmores conceive well gold.

We had been TTC for 24 months without luck when I read on EB about blackmores so decided to give them a go - We got out BFP on the 2nd month!!!

I didnt notice any nausea - the only thing I noticed is it changed my cycle length from 24 days to 28.

There is a thread about it somewhere in the TTC section..

goodluck - I hope you get your BFP soon

xxx

#3 Fossy

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

I took Blackmores and as long as I took them with food I was fine, if I took them on an empty stomach  sick.gif

#4 TheAppetiser

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

I vote for Elevit due to the higher folate and iron (I'm vego).  Can cause constipation though due to the iron. tthumbs.gif

#5 new*to*this

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I started taking Elevit because it was on special in the chemists.  I found that for the first few days I would get pg like symptoms - sore breasts, headaches.  However, this settled down after a few days and once I started taking them after dinner and all is fine now.

#6 charlie1978

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

I have been taking elevit for about 2 months and have felt fine. I always have the tablet immediately after breakfast which ensures no nausea (for me!). If you weren't eating enough fibre I would imagine it could make you constipated - not sure how to put this nicely, but the only change fo rme is the consistancy and colour of number 2's.... as The Appetiser said its due to the high iron levels.
I don't think there is a right or wrong supplement to take and Elevit and Blackmores seem to be the most popular and most recommended by Dr's, so I wouldn't stress too much. Perhaps try one and then the other to see if you prefer either one?
Charlie

#7 South Coast

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I too am on Elivit and have been since March (TTC#1 from October 09).  No issues with it except agree with Charlie that it can change the consistancy and colour of #2's.

The only issue I have with Elivit is that it does not contain any Iodine so I plan to chance to Blackmore's within the next month.

I have noticed though that my hair grows faster and my nails are harder...  original.gif

#8 dragonfly31981

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

An IM recommended Eagle's Natal Plus. Great stuff. Blackmores is actually a reproduction of Eagle. You will have to search a little for it in vitamin shops (not chemists) as it is prescription only (naturopath).

Best of luck

#9 goddessof1967

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

I haven't read the other posters but Blackmores is the recommended because it has a higher dose of iodine. Not that cretinism is such a risk in Aust. but low iodine is assoc. with less severe forms of it including learning difficulties, IQ levels etc.

A few of the obstetricians where I work recommend that one.

#10 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Save your money if you are looking at prenatal vitamins and go with something like iFolic, it is made by blackmores and is iodine and folic acid. If you have a healthy, well-rounded diet otherwise it is sufficient. Excess vitamins are not metabolised and are excreted ... you basically wee away your money! lol Once pg you can change to a pregnancy targeted vitamin that has omega 3's etc.

In saying that, I took BCWG for one month after TTC for 4 months and we fell pg that month! Who knows. I took the iFolic for nearly 9 months all up as I was preparing for TTC early on.

HTH

Sharna

#11 Ruby Gloom

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:29 AM

I had the chemist recommend Blackmores to me. I'm not taking the conceive well gold though, just the pregnancy and breastfeeding formula.

She said that Elevit is clinically proven to be better but it is lacking in iodine which is important for brain development. She said that Elevit is lacking in this because it's European made and Europeans (due to their different diets to us) aren't lacking in iodine. Blackmores has iodine so I went with that.

It may just be me, but when I started taking it I aslo got some heartburn for a few days and wondered if it had anything to do with it.

#12 Lovelucy

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

I took elevit and i will be again. I took it mainly cause it had more folic in it but also because i couldnt swallow the blackmores ones but could swallow the elevit. I also like that they have menevit now too.

#13 Ruby Gloom

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Do they really have more folate in them? I was pretty sure I compared all the levels with the chemist and they were the same.

#14 clucky chic

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

I am taking blackmores conceive well and additional folate (I am low on folic acid) and have never felt better. The elevit had too much iron for me (my iron levels are high)

#15 sharkie81

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am another taking Blackmores Conceive Well Gold. I like that it has Iodine (Elevit has no Iodine at all) and as another poster said, Australian soil is Iodine lacking. I also like the inclusion of Omega 3 fatty acids and the fact that the Iron levels aren't as high as Elevit as I don't get constipated.

The tablets are big and there's two of them each day, and yes, definitely take them with food!

Blackmores has 500mg of Folate whereas Elevit has 800mg I think? Because Elevit is the only tablet that has undergone research to prove the link between folate consumption (in their tablet) and a decrease in spina bifida many people choose that for that reason. However, most health professionals suggest women trying to conceive need only 400mg/day of folate so the other brands usually cover this level.

Good luck TTC!

#16 pceh

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

I vote for Elevit due to the higher folate and iron (I'm vego). Can cause constipation though due to the iron.

Elevit I have been told by my OB is the best I used to take Blackmores but changed with this pregnancy. It does make me constipated which is less that pleasant but I just eat more fruit.

#17 inlovewithlife

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'm finally back after a few weeks offline!

Thanks for everyone's reply. I decided to go for Blackmores Conceive Well Gold and so far have not had any trouble or nausea with it.  I have actually noticed my skin has become better, although not sure whether it has anything to do with taking Blackmores Conceive Well Gold?

Hope everyone is doing well!   Thanks again!

Babydust to all  cool.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.