Kids sewing machines

11 replies to this topic

#1 bmieke

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has seen the kids sewing machines (Singer) in Australia. I saw them on Reprodepot, but am not sure about shipping it from America (cost of postage etc). Was hoping to buy one from an Australian company.

#2 3_for_me

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

I would try looking on the singer site and see if it gives a product stockist list in Aus.  Otherwise see if someone who sells Singer would order one in for you.  Not sure whether big stores like SL, Lincraft, etc would but my local independent fabric store is always happy to special order items from their suppliers for me.

#3 marniehau

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

What age is the child you are thinking of getting the machine for?  If the child is 5 years old or older, I would recommend that you look out for a real sewing machine with handcrank assembly.  You can find machines on ebay that are already set up like this - or you can add a handcrank mechanism to an old Singer 99 or Singer 66 machine.

If you have a sewing machine repair shop nearby, talk with the people there about setting up a traded in solid reliable machine this way.  It is very easy to remove the motor and attach a handcrank.  My daughter has enjoyed sewing on a machine like this since she was five years old.

#4 Sambient

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

I saw those too and it's in my shopping cart though I don't think I will be getting it.  Is it the black one?  I so love it - much better that the nasty dora ones they have at spotlight.

#5 3_for_me

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

Now that Sambient has mentioned it being black I have a feeling I have seen them at my local Lincraft.

#6 bmieke

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Oh thank you.
The ones on Reprodepot were pink. It is for my son though (not that he would mind... pink is his favourite colour).

He has just turned 4 (yesterday) and a few weeks ago he said "Now I know how to cook  laughing2.gif When are you going to teach me how to sew?"

I actually have 2 machines here, but I like them a lot and would prefer that he practices on something of his own. I will check out Lincraft (I don't bother going there too often anymore but will make an effort).

#7 3_for_me

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

wub.gif Mine wants to know how to sew too, maybe I should take a leaf out of your book original.gif

#8 novy

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

Hi Belinda,

Lincarft does have them for $49.99. Here it is online.

#9 smithsholidayroad

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hi there,

I am so new to sewing..2 weeks!...but just had to say that my 4 year old also is so keen to learn! each night he says "lets sew" and just loves being part of it!  Cooper has CP so he needs me to support his body but he is learning to control his foot on the pedal and especially loves pressing a little too hard and watching the needle! lol  also a big fan of cooking!  

Glad to hear of these creative kids! so much more fun than watching tv!

bron

#10 cward

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

I don't know what the kids ones are like but I have to say that my daughter (6) uses my machine and has no problems with it and loves all the different stitches it has.  I thought about getting her a kids one but I know she would be disappointed that it didn't have all the stitches mine has and so probably wouldn't use it.

Edited to add: I didn't realise it was you posting this Belinda.  I didn't even look at the original poster until I had finished.  Can't believe he is 4 now.  We really need to catch up, maybe in the holidays

Edited by cward, 13 June 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#11 don14

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Hi ladies i got my ds a machine when he was 5
i picked up a 2nd hand machine from a quilting shop on sale for $50 for him it is an OLD machine but so sturdy and sews better than my newer machine.
A friend recently got a machine on special at SL for $140 for her daughters b'day.
My view is of it is to play then the kids ones are fine but the plastic battery operated ones imo are a waste of time as they unthread and need new batteries and don't work well if the batteries are not full of charge.in saying that i have never seen nor used the singer one in the pp link.
if it's to sew then you can't beat a real one and if they learn to respect it and treat it with care and learn properly from the get go then it will be more enjoyable for both of you.
wow that was a bit of a rant sorry Tounge1.gif

#12 100% cotton

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

My little one can't wait to sew too ;-)  There's a Totally Me Singer Sewing Machine advertised in the current Toys R Us catalogue.  It's white and pink.

DD July 2005

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.