Cross Stitch Thread #6

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 Natahs_mum

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hi Peanut.... Welcome

Of course you can add WIP (work in Progess) l love to see how it works.

Is anyone on a cross stitch group on FB? I joined one where each month you add pics up of your WIP, you can add as many as you like, l usually do mine weekly... Its fun...

#102 Peanut

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Natahs_mum!

Okay, so this is one of my first projects that was my Mothers Day gift to my dear old mother.  She's a crocheter and tried valiantly to get me to learn how to crochet, but I couldn't get the hang of it!!

And this is one that I am currently working on for my DS's room:

You can see the pattern in the background although there is a 3rd lighthouse.  I'm actually now on the final lighthouse and I hope to have it finished soon.  I'm not sure whether to frame it myself or take it to a framer.  Can anyone advise me if it is better to not have the thread touching the glass?  Do professional framers use a secondary cardboard frame inside (sorry, can't think of the proper name at the moment) to ensure that little bit of a gap?

Edited by Peanut, 24 July 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#103 katykins

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/07/2011, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi JRA, I was wondering where you got this from? I do like blackwork, plus its quicker than traditional cross-stitch!

#104 jadish

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Natahs_mum @ 22/07/2011, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Peanut.... Welcome

Of course you can add WIP (work in Progess) l love to see how it works.

Is anyone on a cross stitch group on FB? I joined one where each month you add pics up of your WIP, you can add as many as you like, l usually do mine weekly... Its fun...

Id be interested inthe fb cross stitch group whats the name of it ?

#105 Natahs_mum

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

Id be interested inthe fb cross stitch group whats the name of it ?
  You find htem usually under events and RSVP to say you are coming along and then you can post your WIP and talk in there.. I have been part of it for about a yea rnow biggrin.gif

Link : http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=193869727328814  If it does not work type in July-stitch-a-long in events... biggrin.gif Should be a x-stitch of pooh bear on there.

#106 jadish

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

thank you original.gif

#107 BlondieUK

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:40 AM

jadish - my mum also just finished that same old map!
I've posted this before, but this is really always worth a look -

http://www.scarletquince.com/

#108 BlondieUK

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

No one has posted for a while. I will post a Starry Night update soon, but I wondered what everyone was up to!

#109 leo the lioness

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi all,

Haven't been on EB for ages.  Finally got my last project framed - it was a birth record/nameplate for my DS.  He will be eight in June.  blush.gif  In my defence, I couldn't find one I liked so I designed my own.

Here it is:

Must be time for a new project.

#110 JRA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Leo: that is lovely

#111 Guest_NinjahKitteh_*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Greetings cross-stitchy experts, I have a question for you!

I'm working on my very first project, which is going very well, except for the backstitching outlines.  It's basically simple flowers, birds etc. and each one is outlined in dark grey to make it stand out, however the backstitch is also used to add the illusion of curves and angles on smaller petals etc.

No matter how I try and follow the graph, my outline is NOT looking like the one in the picture, damn it!  It just seems impossible to get it to look like straight lines going at an angle across the cross stitches, if that makes sense.

It would be easier if I backstitched over more than one square, but surely this isn't the answer?  If anyone has the slightest clue about what I mean and has any tips I'd be most grateful.  Sorry, it's a difficult one to explain.

TIA

#112 Natahs_mum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Wow l forgot this thread was even here.. ops...

Backstitching is hard.. l found it easier to do make smaller squares in the graph/picture... and stitch that and whats around it and then do the back stitch. if that makes sense..

So for example l am doing this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-19...r-/200418992450. and l am cross stitching the girl and once she and a small bit around her is done then l shall backstitch her, otherwise l find it just too hard to do once the whole cross stitch is done. If that makes sense...

But this is what l am doing at the moment... I can't remember how to post photos on here but it is on FB and the cross stich groups in there,

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!...04235966281961/
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!...sstitchfriends/

#113 BlondieUK

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I've made this over the last month for my son;s class - it's a sleeping bag for their class teddy that they made during a visit to a "Build-a-Bear" shop.  Their class is called 'Maple'.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4825/img3254ul.jpg

Edited by BlondieUK, 22 March 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#114 JRA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Love it BlondieUK

#115 erindiv

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a cross stitch thread! I can't believe I never noticed.

Does anyone come in here regularly?

Edit: Might as well add all my WIPs original.gif

I have many going at once. I get bored with one so I move onto another for a while. Means that I have only finished one so far, but there's always one to suit my mood. I started cross stitching in October last year, so I've only been doing it for about 6 months.

[I've never used Flickr, so I hope I get the links right]

My one and only completed piece, a birth announcement for my daughter Kate. I enjoyed this one but all the backstitching did my head in. Not framed yet, obviously.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/7041572333/

Koalas. Bought this one marked down in a craft shop. I don't like it much, I had to undo a big section after I stuffed up, so I got a bit disillusioned with it and it's been sitting at the bottom of the box untouched for about 3-4 months now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/6895471162/

A little stamped cross stitch. Haven't worked on this one for a couple of months, I've decided I don't really like stamped patterns.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/6895467564/

A gorgeous hydrangea pattern that I haven't worked on for months because the stitches are tiny and it requires a lot of concentration and non-tired eyes... neither of which I have had since DS was born. Bought this in a craft shop too, cost a LOT.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/6895463826/

Birth announcement for DS, from the same makers as the one I did for DD. Got sick of this one after doing the big blue square so I'm having a break from it for a while. Last worked on it about a month ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/7041560525/

My current favourite which I have been working on flat out. Got this one really cheap on ebay and even though it's simple I love it. The cotton for this one is so satiny and beautiful, and the electric blues really caught my eye. This one is my closest to being finished.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78658520@N04/7041557497/

I also have another huuuuuge one which I've just started that has a total of 98,000 stitches. Have done about 6 hours flat out on it and done a teensy corner, so doesn't really need posting. That's my other current one. So that's... 6 works in progress. Phew.

Edited by erindiv, 03 April 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#116 laridae

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (NinjahKitteh @ 23/02/2012, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings cross-stitchy experts, I have a question for you!

I'm working on my very first project, which is going very well, except for the backstitching outlines.  It's basically simple flowers, birds etc. and each one is outlined in dark grey to make it stand out, however the backstitch is also used to add the illusion of curves and angles on smaller petals etc.

No matter how I try and follow the graph, my outline is NOT looking like the one in the picture, damn it!  It just seems impossible to get it to look like straight lines going at an angle across the cross stitches, if that makes sense.

It would be easier if I backstitched over more than one square, but surely this isn't the answer?  If anyone has the slightest clue about what I mean and has any tips I'd be most grateful.  Sorry, it's a difficult one to explain.

TIA

You do backstitch over more than one square. So if it looks like on the pattern that the stitch, say, goes 3 up and 1 across, thats what you do, you don't do 1/3 of one across and one up and repeat 3 times, you just go 3 up and 1 across, and have a longer stitch.

#117 BlondieUK

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'm about to get my cross stitch out for the first time in months......where is everyone else at?

#118 alybel

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

I am in the middle of a Christmas stocking, will find a photo of my WIP.

#119 alybel

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Here's the link"  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/alyb...h/stocking3.jpg

#120 Chicky whicky

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I am still doing a dinosaur abc chart that I started 3.5 years ago and have just picked up again.

#121 mindy05

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

You do backstitch over more than one square. So if it looks like on the pattern that the stitch, say, goes 3 up and 1 across, thats what you do, you don't do 1/3 of one across and one up and repeat 3 times, you just go 3 up and 1 across, and have a longer stitch.

Seriously? So I've been doing it wrong all these years? I always wondered why mine looked wrong.

#122 Chicky whicky

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I always thought I was being lazy doing it that way, but it does look nicer and is a whole lot easier to do.

#123 BlondieUK

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (alybel @ 26/10/2012, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in the middle of a Christmas stocking, will find a photo of my WIP.

That looks lovely and jolly original.gif

#124 Gogalka

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (nassie_gal1978 @ 14/07/2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally completed it.. just a few bits and pieces to fix. biggrin.gif

Very nice! You are done! I love this car! But I can not afford to buy these kits, I live in Russia ....

#125 fluffybun

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

/

Edited by fluffybun, 04 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.