Is Parenting the Ultimate Act in Selflessness?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohBD

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

I planned to write this post on something completely different until I read a handful of words that moved me to tears. This post is inspired by the selfless acts parents perform on a daily basis for their children – and one completely self-sacrificing act by a woman to give her child life.

The words, “My dear baby, if you can live through this, you must remember that I love you,” were written as an SMS message by a mother to her child. She died in the Sichuan earthquake in China, sheltering her son. Found on her knees in a bowing position underneath a mountain of debris, rescuers thought they had discovered yet another casualty, until one searched under her torso to find her live son. Wrapped in a red blanket, the four-month-old baby was sleeping. As the doctor checked him over he found the mobile phone with those words that are still bringing a lump to my throat.

After a rushed day painting our lounge room around two young boys, grocery shopping and then cooking for the following few days, reading those words last night made me stop and think what it meant to me to be a mother.

I don’t take motherhood lightly. I was told I might not be able to have children because I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and was overjoyed to be a mother once, let alone twice. My days are filled with demands and tantrums from a three-year-old and hungry and tired cries from a newborn, so I often forget the smiles, hugs and kisses from my toddler and pure adoration in the eyes of my baby.

It sometimes takes something as incredible as that woman’s last act as a parent to make me stop and just think about my children. It is so easy to let life happen, without enjoying it, so I thought today about what I do for my children without even thinking, because they mean so much to me.

As parents we act selflessly every day, doing things like:
• Making sure everyone else is fed first
• Getting up in the dark because your child is awake
• Sitting up through the night because he had a nightmare
• Cutting up a crunchy apple for your child and eating the bruised one yourself
• Spending hours next to the pool while your child has swimming training because they want to be an Olympian
• Setting the alarm an hour earlier than your child wakes up to get everything ready for the day ahead so you can spend quality time with them
• Reading Thomas the Tank Engine at least twice a day, every day, because it is their favourite book
• Listening to Play School CDs in the car because they like to sing along.

These are just some of the things I do for my children and my friends do for theirs. Being a parent has made me realise my capability for selflessness, when I thought I was selfish. It has been a good learning experience for me, and continues to be every day. We don’t often think about whether we’d be willing to die for our children, but I don’t know any parents who think they wouldn’t if faced with that horrible choice.

What has parenting taught you about yourself?

#2 PJ Lover

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

it should be if you are doing it right.... wwhistle.gif

#3 JadeGreene

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

It's taught me that parenting is like anything else - you can be good at it without liking it. And you can be selfless without liking it (perhaps others think that's not really selfless?). And you can love your child while hating all the things you have to do/put up with because you're their mum.

I long to be able to take a normal length shower in the morning. I long to be able to sleep in on weekends. I long to be able to have a coffee and a biscuit at a cafe without negotiating to share the biscuit (which probably cost more than its weight in gold) and which toddler won't like but will spit all over...and it doesn't matter how many biscuits I buy him he'll want mine! Oh and did I mention without having to get up and chase him? Without having to eat pasta or mashed potato for the 4th night because its his favourite? Being able to eat said food without it being stone cold because somehow he's less able to feed himself than my neighbour's 1 year old?

Parenting is drudgery to make a battery hen's life look exciting. Let's be honest. We do it because we have to, and because we're responsible for them and they didn't ask to be here. And because one day (hopefully before we die of boredom or exhaustion or old age) they will be independent human beings we can interact with!

#4 diva

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

I am much less egocentric since having children.  

My children force me to rethink how I react to things, my coping abilities and my ability to control my emotions.Who would have thought it would be possible to hurt yourself and say nothing worse than "OUCH!"???

While it should be said that occasionally parenting brings out the worst in me - largely, I think I'm a better person for having become a mother.

#5 jlydia

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

I think the decision to become a parent is selfish. We do it because we want children, not for any altruistic reason for the child-to-be.

However once they arrive, then yes, GOOD parenting is often full of selfless acts.

I would never have imagined I would sit next to my ill daughter's bed in the ER for six hours holding a vomit bowl and comforting her while she had an NG tube inserted.

I would never have imagined I could go for 24 hours with only 20 minutes sleep.

I would never have imagined being able to care for two 11 week old babies with a broken leg. But I did.

So yes, good parenting is full of selfless acts.

#6 ngirl

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

Yes

I think ultimately that is why women are better at it than most men (I know, I know - a very broad generalisation).

M

#7 JohBD

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

JadeGreene I've longed for the same things as you. It's seems such a simple ask but a complete impossibility at times!

Diva I think parenting has added a new dimension to me too, in a good way!

jlydia I was thinking of your reply this morning as I was willing my four-month-old to sleep instead of tired screaming so I could do some work and remembered it has to be about him, not me, no matter how important my work is. It can wait until he's asleep.

ngirl I agree and yes it's a generalisation and there are plenty of selfless dads, but I think women seem to fall into the role more naturally, even though I never saw myself as one of those women.

Thanks for your comments lovely ladies.

Johanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.