Do kids need school uniforms?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 ♥Teags♥

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

This question is being asked on Sunrise this morning, and I was curious about what you all thought. No doubt it's been done... but oh well.

Personally, i'd have loved for nothing more in high school but to have no uniform. Or alteast be able to wear a school top and my own bottoms.

However growing up a little I realise that if kids were given free reign there would always be the ones that are completely inappropriate (especially the girls), the ones that obviously leave the house in one thing and change on the way, and those who feel like the 'poor' kids because they're parents can't afford the fashion or the designer/surfy labels.

WDYT?

#2 CountryBumpkin

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

I think there needs to be a little leeway, mainly in high school. we were allowed to were jeans or black pants of any sort, as long as we had the school shirt on (black and white at one school, green at the other school). As far as i know this has changed, and in the black/white school, you know are not allowed to wear jeans.

Primary school i see there no problem with having a set school uniform, it makes life easier when dressing the children in the morning!!

#3 Charmzy

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

Yes I think kids do need school uniform for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

It erases some of the competition between kids: who can afford brand names and who cant?  

It is a sign of conformity and school is the place to conform.

It also makes the school look so much nicer and more respectable and when the children are out in the community they look much nicer in matching uniforms than whatever the latest fashion might happen to be at the time.

#4 Hermes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

I think high school is when a uniform is most important. Its about having pride in your school and unity with your peers..
At our school once we were seniors we often wore jeans and no one commented although officially it wasnt allowed.

#5 beck73

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

The other thing that is handy about school uniforms is that it often helps keep the kids a bit more settled, seeing everyone looking the same as them - I know that some teachers dread 'casual' days at school, because the kids go just a little bit berserk with all the bright colours in the playground, whereas having a sea of green around them every day is one less distraction IYKWIM.

FWIW, I used to HATE casual days at school because I was one of those kids who got picked on for not having the latest label / style / whatever, so would often just go in my uniform and pretend I 'forgot' sad.gif.

Beck

#6 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

The more kids I have, the more grateful I am for school uniforms.

I still only have one in school, but i'm sure I will appreciate it more in coming years.

It's good to know that I have 5 tops, 5 bottoms and if all else goes to hell in a handbasket, all I have to make sure i've done is wash those 10 items with accompanying underwear and socks and that means that at least my DS will be organised for what to wear to school without any chooks running around with their heads cut off iykwim  tongue.gif

#7 JRA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

As a child I was grateful for school uniforms.

We never had brand clothes, or even bought clothes, except for jeans (not good brand though). A school uniform meant that I did not feel self conscious about this.

As a parent I love school uniform. It means that it is easy, yes, I am lazy.

That said I do understand that if children are not in uniform at all, most/many do settle and the competition doesn't happen that much, depending on the children

#8 insertemotion

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

Uniform
'uni' = one
'form' = shape

It shows them as one, a unified front. They represent themselves as a whole unit, rather than trying to make themselves stand out. It represents unity and respect. It allows them to identify themselves as a group.

All important things while children are growing up. It takes so much focus off looks and onto schooling. Plus, a lot of work places have uniforms, it gets them used to the real world in that respect.

#9 Julie3Girls

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Love school uniforms.

No dithering in the morning about what to wear.
Trying to find a matching outfit.
Trying to match up with what your friends are wearing.
For older kids, having to buy expensive brands to be part of the "in crowd" ... and this is starting younger and younger.
Easy to keep and hand down to the next child in the family, with no worries about fashions changing, looking out of date.

It creates a level playing field for all the kids - nobody considered "better" because of their clothes.

I agree, if uniform was never used, a lot of the kids it would a non-issue. But there would enough of it to make uniforms worthwhile in my opinion.

OUr shcool has a uniform - black and gold. And a lot of the girls wear leggings under their dress when it gets cooler. Even with the uniform, we had an issue last year where the school had to ban the leggings with the lace around the bottom, due to social issues ... little girls declaring that you could only play in "their" group if you had the lace on your leggings.

What I do like, these days, is that a lot of schools have more choices.
I know when I went to school, the boys had a button down shirt, the girls a tunic. That as it.
Now there more choices - boys in polos and shorts, with the girls able to wear the same thing, or skorts. Still a tunic as an option (my girls love the dress). Choice of jumper colour, or go for a jacket instead.
Just a little bit more freedom, while still giving the unity that a uniform provides.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 27 April 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#10 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Yes they do... My high school had a 'dress code' but no uniform.  

The competition was really awful - not to me because I didn't give a sh*t and just wore jeans and a polo shirt every day, but some of the poorer kids really copped it.

When you got on the bus in the morning, you used to get eyed up and down as you walked down the aisle and there would be snide comments about what you had on.  Luckily the main PITA had the hots for my brother for years so I was exempt but some of the girls were just destroyed every day.

#11 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

For all of the reasons mentioned here, yes, I think school uniforms are great.

#12 zande

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Definitely love school uniforms here. And I agree, it is even more important in high school. My DDs' names are down at a private school in our area, and one of my major reasons was the uniform policy.

#13 Cheryl_v

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

I like it for two reasons.  One is the reason that others have mentioned, having grown up with friends who could afford "better" or brand name clothes while not being in that position myself it was good to have that difference taken away on a day-to-day basis.  The other reason is simply that it is incredibly difficult to find appropriate girl's clothing at a reasonable cost - by appropriate I mean it covers the shoulders, not low cut, not too short, made from decent fabric that is sun resistant.  I'm glad my daughter is going to school in a uniform instead of a flimsy sundress or a ra-ra skirt because that is all I can find at the shops.  

Oh, I just thought of a third reason, being in Darwin means that without a uniform there is no way our kids could wear shorts and t-shirts through the dry season if there was no uniform because the retailers sell winter clothes like they do down south so if the kids outgrow or damage their summer stuff we can't replace it until around August.

#14 MrsPug

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Do kids need school uniforms?
I think parents need kids to have school uniforms! Saves money and sanity. I wish I had a uniform (with a few options to account for taste and body shape) for work.

---

#15 mrsploppypants

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

meh...i think school uniforms are an expensive waste of time personally. i would much rather send my kids in inexpensive sensible normal clothes than unifroms. what is wrong with trackies/shorts and a t-shirt from your personal selection?

i went to both primary and high school with no uniform and i obviously missed the whole peer pressure=clothes thing as it was a non-issue. my schools had clothing policies from meorey adn we were allowed to wear certain clothes and thatw as it. i do remember wearing jeans to school one winter day and having my mother being rung up and getting trackies brought to me as jeans were on the no-go list.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

my schools had clothing policies from meorey adn we were allowed to wear certain clothes and thatw as it.

So there was a 'uniform' of sorts then, wasn't there? It may not have all been the same colour or style, but there were limits.

#17 mindabell

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Absolutely.  I love seeing all the kids in the same uniform.  It give them a sense of belonging & school pride.  It also eliminates the whole issue of what to wear each day.  If DD had her way, she'd wear a pair of tights & a t-shirt to school.

School is about education, not about what each other is wearing.

#18 the humming cat

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

I hate the ironing that comes with it cry1.gif 3 kids, winter uniform 3 days, sports 2 days. So we have 6 pairs of grey pants, 2 pleat pini's and 9 white shirts, to be ironed every week.

Add to this school uniforms socks x 9, 3 ties, 3 jumpers, 3 sports polos, 3 faction polos, 3 track pants, thats alot of uniforms!! Not to mention the spares, like I bought 1 extra jumper ($60 a pop!), a spare tie, 3 extra white shirts, 2 extra pairs of socks each and a hat.

We have a seperate uniform cupboard so this is fantastic, I have a hanger for each child for each day, (I converted the linen cupboard to allow hanging space) and there shoes go at the bottom, everything has a place.

I iron every Sunday arvo (school and work clothes) and yes, I need a uniform for them for every day as I work FT and am not hunting stuff down mid week! I have to wash sports pants and jackets in between but thats easy enough, sports on Tue and Fri and everything bar the knitted jumper is drier safe tthumbs.gif

Oh, the question, Do They Need it? In my opinion they want it. Private School, zero choice, its the uniform, you wear it, parents have to buy it. Local kids at the public PS school near us all wear bottle green tracksuits with a yellow polo, all available from Big W for about $7 a piece, they all seem to wear it, bet the parents love that, cheap, wash and wear, everyone the same! Local High School is Navy bottoms of your choice with white school logo polo and navy embroidered school jumper. There mostly in it too, you do see the occasional pair of jeans.

Bonus of the uniform is the kids love free dress days at school!!

I wish I had a uniform (with a few options to account for taste and body shape) for work.

We do! Every year we get a spend $100 recieve $100 voucher towards the Corporate Wardrobe, so for $230 (out of pocket $130) I got 4 blouses and a vest, I just wear black pants from Target.

#19 MarigoldMadge

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

We had a very strict uniform code at high school, and I loved it. I would dread casual days - walking up to the school gates with a sick feeling, just waiting for the looks and putdowns.

I was one of those girls, and my mother one of those mothers, who had no clue about fashion, and we knew it.

I'd love a work uniform too...

#20 Floki

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

Yes.

And I wish schools would enforce it. School is not a fashion parade.

#21 beastie

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Our kids go to  aprogressive school with a no uniform poicy.  I love it and so do the kids.  They also do not have to wear shoes. Great for those with sensory issues.

They used to go to  a public school with an enforced uniform policy.  I couldn't beleive the prices esecially if you have more than one child attending.  It hink schools should have school colours, with clothing available from chain stores,  and a logo that people can buy to iron or sew on their clothes.  

It could also be considered inequitable when some kids are in hand me downs and others in updated uniforms.

#22 ikeaqueen

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

I don't think they need one but it does make things a heck of a lot easier - for everyone involved.

Personally, I went to a Primary School with no uniform (or dress code) and then a Catholic High School with a strict uniform - I preferred having a uniform.

ETA -
It hink schools should have school colours, with clothing available from chain stores, and a logo that people can buy to iron or sew on their clothes.

Our local public school have just that original.gif  A colour code (white, light blue or navy tops) and the same colour options plus denim for bottom half.  They sell an iron on logo which is optional still and only about $1.

Edited by -jackie-, 27 April 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Yes.

And I wish schools would enforce it. School is not a fashion parade.

yyes.gif

#24 Kafkaesque

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Yes for many of the reasons mentioned above. But mainly for my sanity.  I don't have to think about what the kids need to wear to school.

#25 Elemental

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

I'm in the pro-uniform camp. I like that it takes one of those potentially distracting factors away from school. You can all be united in b**ching about your unflattering uniform laughing2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.