How can new mums save in a recession

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smtm

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Well its official, tonight…. the Australian economy has been condemned to enter a recession – having experienced the last recession, with a redundancy I know the best thing we can all do right now is save… start and put the pennies away for that raining day..

But does this mean you need to put off having children? No it doesn’t with a little creativity you can raise a family and save …. So in an effort to help those with young families save for that rainy day, I have decided to pick a few…of the money saving tips I have featured in an e-book….. I encourage you to add, your own money saving tips and perhaps we can all help each other to save a little….

Here goes….  

Baby Exchange, is a great site where you can exchange your baby goods. It has been designed so you don’t need to find a particular person with whom to directly exchange. You simply list your items in the appropriate category, and once your items have been chosen, you may choose the items you would like in return. Just pick from whichever category you wish. For example, you may exchange clothes for toys, books for accessories, and so forth. If you don’t have anything to exchange, then you may buy your way into the exchange process by paying for items. www.babyexchange.com.au.

Hiring what you need for baby instead of making the capital investment; Hire for Baby is Australia’s largest baby equipment hire service, and is certainly worth a look or two. They’ve been in business now for 18 years and have grown into a network of 50 franchises in that time. Have a look on www.hireforbaby.com, and compare the cost of hiring to the cost of purchasing.

A lot of baby toys require batteries, buy rechargeable batteries – the initial investment might be high but long term it will pay off.

Save on buying baby furniture, accessories and equipment by last years model. You’ll find that most stores discount the previous year’s models. You’ll need to do your research to be able to identify the new and outdated models, but a few phone enquires should do the trick.

Offer to purchase floor stock. I saved $100 on the purchase of a cot by offering to buy the floor stock and coincidentally last year’s model. In fact, you’ll be surprised, if you just make a reasonable offer on what you want, how often the retailer will sell for less. After all, a sale with some profit is better than no sale at all. It pays to bargain.

You can also save good money by purchasing furniture for the nursery in its raw state, unpainted, and flat packed. There are many pine shops scattered across Australia. Either visit one close to you or surf the Internet to find one that sells and freights flat pack nursery furniture. Painting and decorating your baby’s furniture brings an immense feeling of parental pride.

There are many cute little knick and knacks at the craft section of Bunning’s hardware store. These are a fantastic and cost effective way to dress up a tired or worn piece of furniture. You will be surprised to find what an improvement fancy drawer handles can have on a plain item of furniture.

Some opportunity shops also sell baby furniture for a great price. Just add a little TLC, and they are made as good as new.

Second-hand furniture is often covered in sticky stickers. To save damaging the furniture, rub a little eucalyptus oil on the sticker and it should come off without any trace of residue. Do not be tempted to use a scourer on a metal surface; you will certainly scratch the metal. Likewise, be careful using products such as WD40 or nail polish remover with acetone as these can melt some plastics. If the sticker is not adhered to plastic, you could prepare removal by warming the sticker with a hair dryer first.

To save even further you can make your own fitted nappies, there are patterns freely available on the web, the following are just a few sites we found: If you google the words ‘free nappy pattern’ you will come across a lot more.
http://www.zany-zebra.com/free-cloth-diaper-patterns.shtml
http://www.ozclothnappies.org/links.html
http://nappiescovered.com.au/store/WsAncillary.asp?ID=14

Some nappy manufacturers like Huggies and Baby Love have their own clubs – it is a good idea to enrol in such clubs as they have regular giveaways discounts or benefits to their new members and or those already apart of the club. www.huggies.com.au or www.babyloveclub.com.au.

You can save by opting to use cloth nappies at home and disposables when out and about.

Don’t stock up too much on “infant nappies” before bubs is born. It is difficult to predict how long your baby may fit this size. You will be very surprised how quickly your baby grows in their first three months. However once bub moves out of infant disposables, start and stock up on nappies when they are on special. The next size up provides a decent size range, you can safely afford to stock up on these nappies. I have been seen leaving a supermarket with 5 bags of Snugglers 64 (13 – 18kg) nappies when they go down to $13 from 24.95.

Homemade wipes - Don’t buy expensive commercial wipes, make your own. You will save a fortune! There is a great article on the Internet explaining exactly how you can make your own wipes.
http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Make-Your-Ow...ution&id=118618

Or there are some video tutorials on You Tube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t9nHSxMWKk&feature=related or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7fIqEvJGj8

Instead of throwing out old stained cloth nappies, you can revive them by dying them a darker colour to cover the stains – and they are ready to go again.

Don’t by expensive sanitizers. Fill a nappy bucket half way; add a quarter of a cup of bicarbonate of soda. Stir to dissolve the bicarbonate soda. Add five drops of tea tree oil and or lavender oil (both have natural antibacterial and anti fungal agents). Soak nappies in this overnight and wash normally. Or add to the bucket half a cup of baking soda and white vinegar. Note: Always make sure the nappy bucket lid is firmly in place, and always out of reach of children.

Nappy rash creams can cost a fortune and they soon add up if used on a regularly basis. Some natural and cost effective solutions include;
• Egg white on nappy rash provides a barrier and seems to clear the rash up.
• Use corn flour shake generously over bubs bum.
• Aloe Vera, straight from the plant makes for an excellent nappy rash treatment

Decorate your child’s nursery with unique picture frames. Go to your closest $2 shop and buy some painted picture frames or to Bunnings where you can buy wooden frames that you can paint or stain yourself. Use cards you may already have and or buy greeting cards from the same $2 shop and fill the frames with these.

Looking for a cheap alternative to carrying your newborn? Why not make your own sling. Patterns can be found at;
http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php
ttp://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html
http://www.makeforbaby.com/Baby_Carrier

You can make your own nursery accessories. You don’t need to spend $100 on a quit cover, make your own. You can easily make your own cot sheets as well. By making your own accessories you can customise them to fit your requirements. Bassinet and cot sheets can cost up to $39.95 for a fitted and flat sheet this is very expensive. You can get enough fabric from Spotlight or Lincraft to make your own set for well under $10.00.

Alternatively if you don’t have a sewing machine, buy single flat sheets and fold these to size, when bubs progresses into a normal bed you won’t have to buy a new set of sheets. A double saving!

Ok Ladies – these are a few of my tips, all be it this is a very long post!

Tell us what are your tips and tricks to saving money whilst raising a family

#2 *ericka*

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

I don't really have anything else to add. I buy just about everything from second hand stores to save where i can.

I just wanted to post to say thanks for the tips and the links! They are really useful. original.gif

#3 nicole09

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hey Sonia - you forgot www.mumswap.com.au - you can swap for anything here, even admin skills for new baby clothes. I also benefit with www.simplesavings.com.au - they've got great savings tips that are easy enough to slip into your life

#4 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Some great tips, but I have to add eBay! I bought a Boori cradle, cot and change table second hand on eBay all for just over $250 (would have been over $1500 new). There are some wear marks on them of course, and some teeth marks on the cot rail but these can be sanded and restained and it will look good as new.

Must add however that you should never use a second hand mattress due to the increased risk of SIDS.

Just two things I disagree with: Hiring is not always good value. I hired a bassinette for DD for 3 months because we were not sure we'd have any more after her, yadda yadda - I didn't discover eBay until she was about 6 months old, and then found out I could have bought a bassinette in as-new condition (they aren't used for very long) for less than it cost me to hire. I would have liked to leave her in the bassinette for more than 3 months so I'm really kicking myself over that one.

Also, egg white instead of nappy rash cream? It costs me around $5 for a dozen eggs (I refuse to buy cage eggs) and I don't think they'd last nearly as long as the $7 jar of nappy rash cream that lasted me almost a year. I use a thin film of cream every night as a preventative so it's not that it's lasted a long time due to rarity of use.

#5 3_for_me

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Just wanted to add that soaking of nappies is no longer recommended.  Best to rinse and dry pail them.

I'm using Soap Nuts to wash all my clothes and nappies.  Should cost me $25 for about 7 months worth of washing.

#6 blmf

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Great topic.

Garage sales are great, you get some really good bargains

#7 Cushla

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

My local church just had a flea market and I was able to pick up some excellent brand-name toys and baby/kids clothing for next to nothing.

Most churches have some sort of fund raising fete or event on their yearly calender so it is well worth keeping an eye out for the next one nearby.

#8 littlecuties

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Some opportunity shops also sell baby furniture for a great price. Just add a little TLC, and they are made as good as new.

Be aware that most op shops are not allowed to sell baby furniture for safety reasons. There are standards and some items are no longer safe such as cradles with rocking mechanisms.

As for using 1/4 cup of bi carb soda to soak nappies, that would cost a lot more than a scoop of nappy soaker so not sure how that would save any money at all.

#9 fjb

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

hi everyone!!

Tip shops are a great way to save as well!
We are in Hobart and there are 3 that im aware of.

Ive found some really great material and also some very clean and some new sheets and pillowcases (some have been labelled stuff like Wiggles and Pooh Bear).

The tip shops also have a variety of toys for all ages, best value is when they have bagged up like toys (say blocks or lego)and costs less than $1. I havent really bought clothes from there, but its worth a look every few weeks.

Also I have found that the kids love going because they are allowed to play and ride the bikes so its often less stressful than the main shops and people are really happy and friendly there!

Older classic kid's books and magazines for mum (some actually quite recent!)

One of my best buys was a bike for under $10 and nothing wrong with it!!

hope this helps!XX

#10 mumzor

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi All,

Great topic - I use the internet to save big bucks, especially during this hard period we're in now.

I save the most money from www.ozsale.com.au, which run sales every day of a different kids clothing brand, but its all at big discounts from the usual price.

Ebay is great too.  and this babyexchange sounds fantastic, I haven't heard of this site and will have to check it out!  

just checked out simple savings, another good site!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.