Has the weather and a full moon affected your kids?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Copacetic

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Both of our kids have been out of sorts this week - Mo has been having sleeps during the day at school, and therefore not sleeping at night and constantly coming into our room at all hours - and C has been playing up at school.  And not just playing up - he's been displaying behaviour that is totally out of character for him.

When I sat down with the head of special needs at his school the other day she said that she wasn't surprised because she knew all of her SN kids were going to have a bad week due to the semi-cyclonic weather and a full moon.

To be honest, it had never occurred to me, and then I looked at both of the boys and what they had been doing and it does seem to have affected them both.  

So do your kids behave differently in bad weather?

#2 Paragon~Of~Virtue

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Autism + windy weather = chaos.

#3 Guest_BBlessed_*

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Oh my - if I didn't  wub.gif  you before Festicles I do now!!!
Full moon? I had no idea - but it explains a lot.
Levi has been awful this week, just awful. Upset about going to school, argumentative, screaming and melting down at the drop of a hat (or a request to get off the computer!), toilet training non-existant and just last night he smeared the entire contents of a full wet pull-up across his room. Those crystal things take a lot of cleaning to get out of the carpet.

I've been wondering what I'm doing wrong and what's going on. I only told the guy from Family Services that we were "fine" about a week ago, and desperately wanted to call him back and sob "I lied, I lied - we're not fine, not now!" but  now it all makes sense.
A full moon.

Might also explain Caleb's nightmares and difficulties in going to and staying asleep.
I had no idea it was full moon time again. Thanks!

#4 bronzi

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

it hasn't affected DS but it has affected me & not in a good way

#5 Lizz

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Not the kids but me, yes!  I had a very emotional week - but with no reason whatsoever.  Nothing has happened to make me so teary, until I was driving home Wed night and noticed the full moon.  It made sense then!!

#6 n1ke

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

OMG oomg.gif  I have had the mother of all weeks with my two boys, and this might be the explanation why!  Seriously, only last night I mentioned to my DH that something was going on as they were particularly challenging, esp yesterday.  The boys have been fighting between each other, DS2 has been a grumpy little sod (but he does have an ear infection) and I've had a battle of wills with DS1 over TT'ing.

#7 blueberry℘twist

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Well last night my DS was possessed so I guess the full moon could be an explanation  unsure.gif

I was at my wits end by bed-time and thank goodness for nana day today or I would have gone nuts  wacko.gif

#8 sunshine_days

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

More cheeky then usual, on the go all the time and moody (the kids that is)....

And being hot and cold does not help, they have had full on colds, then conjuctivitis, then a cough bug and DD threw up last night so not sure if she has another bug or it was a once off.

I am over sick kids....

The smoke from the bushfires put them off and they did not want to play outside. Yesterday was the first day in a month that they have been out and wanted to go out.

#9 Copacetic

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Oh my - if I didn't wub.gif you before Festicles I do now!!!

Come on you've always loved me!

I'm certainly inclined to watch the moon cycles a bit more closely now.  And quite happy to see that this is not the only house that's had a bad week...

#10 bobyluuu

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

No, that doesn't happen here. I don't understand what a full moon has to do with how I or my DS act. wacko.gif

How can a full moon affect you or your kids behaviour?

Serious question.

#11 Copacetic

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

Well I have no idea and its partly why I posted it in the first place.  It had never occurred to me but I was assured by the SN head at our school that it is very common.

#12 bubba boo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

yep dd started badly on monday, blamed it on getting out of the wrong side of the bed till someone mentioned the full moon on wed and sure enough by thurs night i had both kids screaming past 11pm. My question is when is the bad behviour supposed to end? when does my excuse run out lol? wink.gif

#13 sarz28

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

My 9 month DD has had a terrible week this week.  She always goes to bed at 7pm but this week it has been 8.30 -9pm!  Last night she was still screaming at 9pm and my DH and I were sitting on our bed shaking our heads when DH said to me I bet it's the full moon!  It's the only thing that makes sense!  I also saw a friend this morning and her baby has been exactly the same! Weird!

#14 The Cat

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

The full moon affects Jaxon, the full moon AND the new moon affect Crystal. ddoh.gif

#15 ~LoriMum~

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

omg... is that why we had a feral week???   oomg2.gif   That explains everything!!!

Lori

#16 raisins

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Don't know, but DS is being extremely difficult of late.... unsure.gif

#17 bobbbyjo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

How can a full moon affect you or your kids behaviour?

Serious question.

No idea but it certainly does. From experience the worst shifts for emergency services/hospitals are always full moons.

If you think about the fact that the moon affects the tides, and that the human body is mostly made up of water, it is certainly plausible that the phases of the moon could have an effect on us.

Edited by bobbbyjo, 15 March 2009 - 04:13 AM.

#18 Cabellomummy

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

TOTALLY!!!!
DS AND ME TOO dev (6).gif

NOT LIKING TO FULL MOON AT ALL rant.gif

sorry for yelling needed to get off chest.............

#19 KT1978

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Autism + windy weather = chaos.

roll2.gif

My Mum always says children behave badly in the wind, and its true.

The full moon only affects me, DP and I fight more around full moons and I hear that a lot of womens cycles line up so PMS = full moon.  wwhistle.gif  Not sure if its true but we can do a poll LOL.

I know someone who did a psych doctorate on full moon and the myth of "lunatics".  Apparently retailers/police/security guards will often have stories of crazies coming out around a full moon.  yyes.gif

#20 censura carnero

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Someone once said to me that our body is made up of 70% water (approx) and if the moon can effect the ocean's tides than why couldn't it affect our behaviours.  It actually made sense to me when put like that.

#21 mumsbambini

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

eexcite.gif Finally a thread close to my heart.  I have been telling people about the full moon and how it effects you for ages, and no one believes me! wwhistle.gif  wwhistle.gif  ddoh.gif  ddoh.gif  ddoh.gif

My kids go mental, I get grumpy and nothing ever goes right when its a full moon - it is absolute madness and chaos in my house. oomg.gif

#22 wenchwitch

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

When i worked in emergency services we used to staff up to cover the extra work during full moon. There were always more accidents, fights and mental health issues guaranteed.

#23 Guest_Spektor_*

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

DS1 (Autistic) often has disturbed nights when there is a full moon. Usually in the early morning hours, and around 2 hours of crying...

#24 Jupiter

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Some midwives were telling me the other night that the full moon is notorious for newborns being more unsettled than usual and that this past week had been a nightmare in the nursery. They also reckon more pregnancy things happen as well, like waters breaking.

#25 Charmzy

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

YepI do believe it has affected both the boys this week, havent really noticed any changes with the girls though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mum's message to son after Manchester attack

The horrific terrorist attack in Manchester, killing 22 people and injuring many others, including children, has impacted people throughout the world.

Bonds announces new personalised Zippy onesies

Now you can have your baby or toddler's name printed on their Bonds Zippys.

Mum's warning about Owlet monitor after baby receives burn

A mum has taken to Facebook to warn parents of the dangers of a popular baby monitor after her daughter sustained a burn to her foot.

The new advice on when to give juice to young children

Children under the age of one should not be given fruit juice, according to new advice issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

'Mummy, put your phone away': one mum's wake-up call

One of the weirdest things about your little kids getting older, I find, is when they start to be able to hold full conversations with you.

Aspirin being used to treat pre-eclampsia

Aspirin and early detection are helping to save the lives of Australian women and babies at risk of dying from the pregnancy complication pre-eclampsia.

Postnatal depletion: what is it and how can we recover?

Some mums are left physically and emotionally depleted, with nothing left to give, long after giving birth.

'Flushing' blocked fallopian tubes can improve fertility, study finds

A technique that effectively "unblocks" a woman's fallopian tubes by flushing them with liquid to help her conceive has been used for decades, with varying levels of success. Now a study has confirmed that the method significantly improves fertility, and that a certain type of fluid – one that is oil-based rather than water-based – shows strong results.

Watch these pregnant mothers make their bellies disappear

Chances are you've heard of body pump, but have you heard of belly pump?

The initiative to help job-hunting mums explain the 'resume gap'

It's a common problem faced by mums returning to work after an extended period of maternity leave. How do I account for the gap that years at home caring for babies has left in my resume?

Every parent will relate to this dad's hilariously messy 'pooplosion' tale

Make sure you aren't eating while reading this post.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.