..of those Carpet Cleaners at Coles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 slinky

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

that you can hire? Have you ever hired one? Did they do a good job?

I have a few bits and bobs I would like to do. Dining chairs, office chairs, lounge chairs, rugs, my car seats.
I thought it'd be easier and cheaper to hire this and do it myself rather than hire a professional carpet cleaner to come and do these.

What do you think?

#2 AuntyK

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

For those sorts of things its great. Stinky, loud as all buggery! But good for doing things around the house where you don't need a massive carpet clean as well.

Having said that - remember that if you have any 'fine fabrics' that you may want to pay extra and get the professionals to do it, cause those things are pretty heavy duty. We actually like to use them to give the kids mattresses a once over each year.

K

#3 Guest_roomformore_*

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

we hired one last week to do our carpets and rugs. great job. but yeah noisy like a vaccum cleaner. doesn't take much time either.

recommended.

#4 frana

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

I used one to do my lounge and lounge room.

I loved it - did a brilliant job  tthumbs.gif , BUT I wish I hired it out longer as I didn't realise it would take me as long.

I just hated that it was gross to clean the machine after use, and that it was so heavy!!!!! The one I used wasn't real loud, just like a normal vac????

#5 mumma23

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

If you get a good one, they're great but if they're the old ones then they can be a real pain.

#6 BaldBalls

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

They do a good job.  I think some coles have the 'rug doctor' ones - Big red beast looking ones, if you can get one of those its easier to use than the Britex ones  original.gif

#7 jacki

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I've used them with great success for carpets, but find they wet the furniture too much for my liking...

A good tip that actually works was given to me by my IL's who used to have a cleaning business:

Use a mop with warm water and commercial carpet cleaning solution added to it to go over the couches, and then go over again with plain water. It actually works and they dry a bit quicker!

...And then get leather couches next time  tongue.gif

#8 Lego

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

I've been wondering about these myself. Could anyone give me an idea of how much they cost overall?

Thanks

#9 Waratah

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Rug Doctor ones are great have used them a bit.  Clean pretty good.

#10 slinky

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Thanks ladies.
My mind is made up I am going to go and hire the Rug doctor
I just rand them, here are some prices for those interested.
4 hrs - $32
8 hrs - $36
24 - $39.90
48 - $49.00
The products are approx $10 per bottle.

#11 Em Cee

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'm interested to know as well! Off to search for the 'rug doctor'  Tounge1.gif

...And then get leather couches next time

roll2.gif  That's what I said to dh!

#12 ~TCBF~

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

We have no carpet in our house and one rug in the kids room, so getting a professional person in to do the job is expensive and pointless.

We hire a Rug Doctor about every 3 months. We only get it for 4 hours and you only need to buy the products the first time and then they will last you several washes.

It does as good a job at cleaning the rug as my kids do at making it dirty.

#13 shezniy76

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

My parents hired one recently after they'd had a professional come in to clean their carpets. The pro had been there for a whole day and still didn't clean the place properly. They hired the coles one and in a quarter of the time the carpet looked as good as new.

#14 Lego

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for starting this topic Slinky and for finding out the prices. Sounds pretty reasonable to me and I can do it at my leisure.

#15 Phascogale

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

I hired one of the Britex ones and they did an okay job.  I didn't do the couches because that needed an extra attachment (that you had to pay extra for) and I wasn't sure how long it would take me to do the carpets (they were the priority).  But my carpets were filthy.  It got ordinary dirt out but it struggled with anything ingrained and older stains.  But I suspect that professionals may have had a problem to but I don't know that for sure.

I paid about $35 (could've been $32) dollars for 4 hours.  Then I needed the shampoo and the defoamer (which you have to buy) and I also got a spot cleaner (spray bottle).  I don't think I'll buy the spot cleaner again.  So all up it was close to $60 but I have enough of the shampoo and defoamer left to do the house again.

To do upholstery it was extra for the attachment and then extra for the special shampoo.  But as I didn't get this I can't comment on it.

I don't know how the rug doctor ones are compared to the britex.

Also you might want to make sure you can fit the unit into your car.  I struggled with the Britex one.

#16 Green Fairy

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

I love the Britex machines. They clean so well and are easy to use. We have carpets in the bedrooms and a couple of rugs and I try to clean them every 6 months. They feel so fresh and clean afterwards. DD1 manages to get all kinds of mysterious stains on her carpet and I've never had any trouble getting them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.