Do you approve of 'trick or treating'?

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#251 atua

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

i couldn't careless tbh

except for the group that stood on my doorstep and bashed (not knocked) on my door for a good minute because i didn't answer the door quick enough.

i didn't answer because my 7.5mth old was woken by their bashing on the door......they then proceeded to ignore my next door neighbour's shift worker sleeping sign as well.

thankfully the next group that came along (much younger) read the baby sleeping sign and were turning away (without knocking) as i got to the door.

#252 *Appletree*

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

rolleyes.gif to comments such as
and don't shove your expectations on me.

Dont answer the bloody door then! Or here's a crazy idea, answer it and say 'No!'

It's an opportunity for kids to have some fun. Provided its done safely, then why not? DD wanted to go this year for the first time, so I took her. Went to every door with her and got dressed up too (and it was fun!). I told her before hand that not everyone would want to give treats, and she smiled and said thanks even to those who didnt wish to participate. Those who did were a bonus  wink.gif

I cannot believe how melodramatic some people are.

#253 ampersand

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

We went out trick or treating tonight, as did almost all of the neighbourhood kids from the number of people on the street. We always go to town on costumes and I had an alien, a zombie and a black cat trooping around with me (plus their friends).

We only knock at houses that have put some kind of decoration out showing they're taking part and what makes it fun is that every street has several.

Some houses had signs on the door saying don't knock, sleeping baby or the like, and I didn't see anyone knock at those houses.

Some of the best houses to stop at were either older couples who obviously loved seeing all the kids dressed up and asking them what they were or to do a trick (several said they hadn't done it before) or households with little ones too young to head out trick or treating - they'd be all dressed up and really excited about handing out treats.

It was lovely, friendly and had a real sense of community about it.

#254 mumof3b1g

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

One of the mums from my daughters class mentioned her dd asked to go so we decided to go together from my house and the kids all had a ball  biggrin.gif

One elderly lady answered the door and said to the kids she had forgotten so they all got a madarine and my little 2 who have just turned 3 were so excited it was like they had won lotto, all over a piece of fruit  grin.gif  grin.gif

I really enjoyed it aswell as the other mum and I chatted the whole way and even met up with a few other mums (well after the kids had knocked on their doors  blush.gif  ) so it was a nice way to get to know each other...

Only whinge I have isf people who pull back the curtains and walk off, I understand some people arent into it but at least say so the kids dont stand there waiting....bit rude really.

#255 picobmum

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

Look at the origins of Halloween, I did provide a bit in my pp, did you read it or are there too many big words? Anyway it goes against our beliefs so therefore we don't celebrate it. If you want to do it then go right ahead *shrug*

hahahah big words..hahahaha!!! I didnt read your post because i didnt have time. BTW i know the origins of Halloween, doesnt mean i practice the darn thing, i just take my kids trick or treating. No harm done except for stingy people not wanting to give out candy.  laughing2.gif

And trust me, im not getting uptight about anything, im going have FUN tonight trick or treating with my DS and DD.  grin.gif You can sit at home and watch some old fuddy duddy TV show.  laughing2.gif

Colleen

Edited by ♥Colleen♥, 01 November 2008 - 02:01 AM.

#256 FloraN

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

Another miserable scrote mother here. This is Australia, if you're that desperate to run around scabbing lollies off strangers with extortion then go ahead, but you won't get any off me.

#257 ~Bliss~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

I went mums last night and she had quite a few kids/teens trick or treating. Mum had no treats in the house but ended up giving away all of her muesli bars and fruit cups.  laugh.gif

#258 logansmummie

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

I took my kids and they had so much fun.We only knocked on doors that had halloween decorations out the front or who were sitting out the front...I think that would be a great idea for next year,for people to indicate by way of decoration if they are in to it or not...

We did have the odd person who told the kids to **** off and i think those people are beyond DISGUSTING.... rant.gif

#259 simplelife

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

I still had kids knocking at 8.30pm.

i didn't answer the door and did hear one yound male kids say to his mates something about the awful person not openning the door  ph34r.gif .  They then tried to push the door open! ohmy.gif   Thank god I had the latch locked or I would have had a house full of kids  tongue.gif .

#260 cookie*jar

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

Edited by newphayze@hotmail.com, 15 December 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#261 ~Flick~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Do I approve? Absolutely not! Not after having a group knock on our door last night at 10.15pm!!  mad.gif  And they were about 12 years old! No adults with them either.

#262 twistedmama

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Well, we ended up with zilch door-knockers, and two teens, in normal clothes, riding around blowing some kind of horn as they rode past rolleyes.gif   I turned on the light to see what was going on, and I heard them say, let's go to that place and then I closed the door and turned off the light ph34r.gif  dev (6).gif

I had to take something across the road, so dressed DD in her RSPCA puppy ear headband and tail.  The neighbours were chuffed as they'd bought some little packets of lollies in case any kids came to the door biggrin.gif   DD looked so cute and was soooooooooooooooo excited about her lollies wub.gif   I ended up drinking a bottle of champers and going next door and chatting until late.  

It was a success for me, as we moved here not long ago, and I've not talked to my neighbours that much before.  It was a great excuse to get to know them better wink.gif

#263 ~kylie~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

We had no trick or treaters! We live in a fairly older area though, so didn't really expect any. My girls had a ball though!

#264 Grumplestiltskin

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Not one knock this year! This surprised me, as we had lots of kids around last year.

Had to eat all the Freddos myself. sad.gif

#265 Melidia

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thank goodness we had none either.

I'm firmly in the 'miserable scrote' camp.

Don't believe it it, don't care where it came from, don't care what the purpose is.  I don't think it is appropriate to let little children wander around and knock on strangers' doors and beg for lollies, and I don't think it should be celebrated here at all.

#266 PurpleWitch

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

My children don't do it.(Well, my 13 year old did it last year for the first only time) But I don't care if others do.

I bought lollies. A packet of freddos and a packet of chupas.

They're just lollies.

Everyone who got something dressed up brilliantly. They looked to be having a ball.

#267 logansmummie

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Phayze that is a fantastic idea with the letter box drop.I might steal that idea for next year wub.gif

#268 Duane Dibley

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

Scabbing for lollies?  No.

#269 JoeyJojoJr

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Also, I hate that they're perpetuating the myth of witches looking old, crabby and nasty.

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution - the torture and imprisonment in unsanitary conditions caused all manner of sickness and skin lesions.

We had a great time at our place! We had a party where the kids did apple-bobbing, doughnut on a string, hide-and-spook... the costumes, the chaos - my kids think Halloween is the best time of the year! SO much fun!

Trick or treaters are always welcome here  biggrin.gif  It's not begging, it's neighbourly, it's voluntary and awesome fun.
My children are also being taught the REAL pagan origins of celebrations  cool.gif

Sorry to those who suffered at the hands of jerks. They ruin it for everybody  sad.gif

#270 simplelife

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

We started taking our kids trick or treating last year. We dropped lovely letters and streamers into 50 letter boxes asking them to put the streamer out if they wanted to participate.

This is an excellent idea! cclap.gif

#271 Electro

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Last year we got some 16/17 year old girls knocking on our door. Granted they were dressed up, but no one in our area does it, I don't know what they were expecting really.

We got this last night.  Im not into it at all but I made a big bowl of (microwave  dev (6).gif ) popcorn and kept it by the door as last year I had no idea about Halloween and as much as I felt like saying 'not really something alot of Aussies do', I felt bad telling little 5 year olds who knocked  that I didnt have anything.

The little ones who knocked this year were suprisingly receptive to popcorn..but I felt a bit weirded out with 15-17 y.o girls in scanty costumes digging their hands in the bowl of popcorn I held out.  

We live in a 'good' area, but I wouldnt like my daughter of that age and dressed up knocking on strangers doors...

#272 Guest_Cali~_*

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution - the torture and imprisonment in unsanitary conditions caused all manner of sickness and skin lesions.

That's interesting, but then probably anyone over 30 300 years ago would have looked pretty rough, if they even lived that long.

#273 Grumplestiltskin

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution

I think it's also mostly because just being an older woman meant they were often suspected of witchcraft - especially if they lived alone.

Old women = witch (centuries ago) so now, for us, witch = old woman.

#274 LucyDiamond

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

I think it's a load of horse sh*t.

#275 ebmember

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

deleted posts

Edited by missmosquito, 16 December 2008 - 04:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.