Do you approve of 'trick or treating'?

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#251 ~Bliss~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

I went mums last night and she had quite a few kids/teens trick or treating. Mum had no treats in the house but ended up giving away all of her muesli bars and fruit cups.  laugh.gif

#252 logansmummie

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

I took my kids and they had so much fun.We only knocked on doors that had halloween decorations out the front or who were sitting out the front...I think that would be a great idea for next year,for people to indicate by way of decoration if they are in to it or not...

We did have the odd person who told the kids to **** off and i think those people are beyond DISGUSTING.... rant.gif

#253 simplelife

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

I still had kids knocking at 8.30pm.

i didn't answer the door and did hear one yound male kids say to his mates something about the awful person not openning the door  ph34r.gif .  They then tried to push the door open! ohmy.gif   Thank god I had the latch locked or I would have had a house full of kids  tongue.gif .

#254 cookie*jar

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

Edited by newphayze@hotmail.com, 15 December 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#255 ~Flick~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Do I approve? Absolutely not! Not after having a group knock on our door last night at 10.15pm!!  mad.gif  And they were about 12 years old! No adults with them either.

#256 twistedmama

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Well, we ended up with zilch door-knockers, and two teens, in normal clothes, riding around blowing some kind of horn as they rode past rolleyes.gif   I turned on the light to see what was going on, and I heard them say, let's go to that place and then I closed the door and turned off the light ph34r.gif  dev (6).gif

I had to take something across the road, so dressed DD in her RSPCA puppy ear headband and tail.  The neighbours were chuffed as they'd bought some little packets of lollies in case any kids came to the door biggrin.gif   DD looked so cute and was soooooooooooooooo excited about her lollies wub.gif   I ended up drinking a bottle of champers and going next door and chatting until late.  

It was a success for me, as we moved here not long ago, and I've not talked to my neighbours that much before.  It was a great excuse to get to know them better wink.gif

#257 ~kylie~

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

We had no trick or treaters! We live in a fairly older area though, so didn't really expect any. My girls had a ball though!

#258 Grumplestiltskin

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Not one knock this year! This surprised me, as we had lots of kids around last year.

Had to eat all the Freddos myself. sad.gif

#259 Melidia

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thank goodness we had none either.

I'm firmly in the 'miserable scrote' camp.

Don't believe it it, don't care where it came from, don't care what the purpose is.  I don't think it is appropriate to let little children wander around and knock on strangers' doors and beg for lollies, and I don't think it should be celebrated here at all.

#260 PurpleWitch

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

My children don't do it.(Well, my 13 year old did it last year for the first only time) But I don't care if others do.

I bought lollies. A packet of freddos and a packet of chupas.

They're just lollies.

Everyone who got something dressed up brilliantly. They looked to be having a ball.

#261 logansmummie

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Phayze that is a fantastic idea with the letter box drop.I might steal that idea for next year wub.gif

#262 Duane Dibley

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

Scabbing for lollies?  No.

#263 JoeyJojoJr

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Also, I hate that they're perpetuating the myth of witches looking old, crabby and nasty.

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution - the torture and imprisonment in unsanitary conditions caused all manner of sickness and skin lesions.

We had a great time at our place! We had a party where the kids did apple-bobbing, doughnut on a string, hide-and-spook... the costumes, the chaos - my kids think Halloween is the best time of the year! SO much fun!

Trick or treaters are always welcome here  biggrin.gif  It's not begging, it's neighbourly, it's voluntary and awesome fun.
My children are also being taught the REAL pagan origins of celebrations  cool.gif

Sorry to those who suffered at the hands of jerks. They ruin it for everybody  sad.gif

#264 simplelife

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

We started taking our kids trick or treating last year. We dropped lovely letters and streamers into 50 letter boxes asking them to put the streamer out if they wanted to participate.

This is an excellent idea! cclap.gif

#265 Electro

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Last year we got some 16/17 year old girls knocking on our door. Granted they were dressed up, but no one in our area does it, I don't know what they were expecting really.

We got this last night.  Im not into it at all but I made a big bowl of (microwave  dev (6).gif ) popcorn and kept it by the door as last year I had no idea about Halloween and as much as I felt like saying 'not really something alot of Aussies do', I felt bad telling little 5 year olds who knocked  that I didnt have anything.

The little ones who knocked this year were suprisingly receptive to popcorn..but I felt a bit weirded out with 15-17 y.o girls in scanty costumes digging their hands in the bowl of popcorn I held out.  

We live in a 'good' area, but I wouldnt like my daughter of that age and dressed up knocking on strangers doors...

#266 Guest_Cali~_*

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution - the torture and imprisonment in unsanitary conditions caused all manner of sickness and skin lesions.

That's interesting, but then probably anyone over 30 300 years ago would have looked pretty rough, if they even lived that long.

#267 Grumplestiltskin

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Part of the witches 'look' actually has it's origins in witch persecution

I think it's also mostly because just being an older woman meant they were often suspected of witchcraft - especially if they lived alone.

Old women = witch (centuries ago) so now, for us, witch = old woman.

#268 LucyDiamond

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

I think it's a load of horse sh*t.

#269 ebmember

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

deleted posts

Edited by missmosquito, 16 December 2008 - 04:38 PM.

#270 RillyBilly

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Actually, I just remembered, normally if someone knocks on our door, unless I can identify the caller as being a friend or family member, I don't open it anyway.  So any trick or treaters around here would have gotten the short shift.  They'd have been told we don't acknowledge it through a closed door.

No one came around anyway, I don't think there are many children in this area.

#271 Guest_~Cupcake~_*

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

And this is why my boy is never going trick or treating (plus it goes against my beliefs  grin.gif )

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24587133-401,00.html

#272 picobmum

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:31 AM

The kids had a ball last night. I just put some videos up of them trick or treating on my blog. As you can see people here really love Halloween.  grin.gif

Colleen

#273 2bundles

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

Well, we are in Canada, and just finished Trick or treating last night.  Kids are 3 & 6.  3yr old was a very cute witch and DS a horrible monster!!

It was a really lovely way of interacting with the neighbours.  We only went to houses with lit pumpkins out, so those who don't want to participate were not bothered.

Every person was sooo glad the kids came.  Loved seeing their costumes, and often said "thank you for coming".  

We met a few people in our area that we hadn't met before, so that was a good thing.  

All the candy was sealed commercial product, ie mini packets of m&ms etc.

Overall, a really fun time for the kids and the adults.  If our street in Aus got into the spirit, I would be more than happy to go along with it.  I would NOT knock on people's doors who did not have any decoration out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.