Need opinions - leaving child in car (paying for petrol etc)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#26 BusyB

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Take the baby with you. I don't know why people say it is so hard - its not!
Yeah easy if you have ONE baby try it with 2 babies.

I leave my 3 children in the car & park as close to the shop as possible.  I try avoid getting petrol, but most of the time it's not possible.  They know they have to stay in their seat & not get out of the car etc.  I also pay as fast as I can, there's not much else I can do, unless I get 3 kids out, walk in & pay with the 3 of them.

#27 PrincessPinkenIt

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

I try to fill up at servos with the swipe your card pumps, that way I don't have to leave the car. If I do have to go inside I usually wind all the window down a touch for fresh air, remove the keys and lock the car.
I'm always watching the car if I have to go inside to pay.

#28 Crocmonster

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

We don't leave them in the car. DH makes sure the car is always filled with petrol (gas in our case) so that I never have to do it with the kids. I think I have been caught out once in the last 4 or so years where he forgot.

A few months back when DH was on his way to work he filled up, got out and locked the car, walked into the petrol station to pay and by the time he got out, the drivers side door had been jimmied open with a screw driver and his sports bag and laptop were gone.

He was the ONLY person at the petrol station so was served straight away. It all happened in a matter of a minute. Security cameras show another car driving in as soon as DH got to the servo door, the guy pulled up next to our car, got the door open, the laptop and bag out and had taken off all in only a few seconds.

If my children had been sitting in that car they would have been terrified and possibly traumatised for quite a long time.

It's just not a risk we are willing to take and after that we are so very glad we have never done it.

#29 mum850

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

Three kids, they stay in the car. I reckon  it is safer than walking over the path of oncoming cars anyway. But soooo much hassle to take them out rather than leaving them for 60 secs in view.

#30 Carmen02

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

i leave the kids in the car, I park as close as possible to the door and leave the windows down and lock the doors, It is much safer as both DD and DS do run wild around petrol stations.

#31 ~*~Jacqui~*~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

I think it dpends more on how comfortable you feel about the situation, as a PP said, do a risk assessment of the petrol station.

I mostly get petrol when I have none of the kids with me or just my 5yr old and he gets the option, he can come in with me if he wants or he can sit in the car...if he wants to stay in the car I park it at the door, leave windows down if it's hot and run to pay.

If I get caught and them all or just the youngest 2 then I move the car to the door and pay.

When DS1 was a baby and before the others came along, I pretty much did the same thing...filled up when I didn't have but if I did have too then I would suss out he's mood but I think I took him in with me most times.

There have been a couple of times when I've had all 3 with me and not been able to move the car close to the door so had to get them all out and I found it scarey!!  DD was in the sling, DS2 was on my hip and DS1 was holding my hand.  Most drivers aren't looking out for people, they are looking for free petrol pumps.  After those times I was even more convinced that parking at the door and quickly running was safer!!

Goodluck...you'll work out what's best for you and your new little one  original.gif

#32 10YearsLater

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

I always take her with me - easy with one kid.

I wonder about these people saying they wind all the windows down and lock the car??? Is that so your kids don't get out or others don't get in? I can manage to unlock a car with windows down slightly so I don't see the point of locking the car with the windows down???

#33 ratbags

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Never taken any children into the servo to pay, they can wait the 2 minutes that it takes. That being said I fill up out of peak times so there is no waiting around in the servo.

Also what about the people that lock their cars when they fill up as well, it has never occurred to me to lock my car while I pay for fuel (just goes to show you how out of touch I am with how easy crimes are carried out rolleyes.gif )

#34 ~Tranquillity~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

I always go to the petrol station round the corner where I can use the pump right next to the doors, when I go in to pay I am literally 3 metres away from the car which is in full view, and the car is in the shade. I will wait till the spot is free and there's never a long queue  to pay. I am much more comfortable doing this than getting 2 year old and baby out of car with me- there is no way i could hold onto both of them while paying, so there's more of a risk from 2yo running out the doors than whatever could possibly happen to them left in the car in full view for 1 or 2 minutes max.

#35 ~Lovinglife

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

I park right at the front where i can see my kids i than pay for my petrol.

Its very unlikely  something is going to happen while im watching.

It would be a real hassle for me to have to take all 3 kids out of the car and than when i get in the shop they will whinge for a lolly or whatever.

#36 mumma23

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

I wonder about these people saying they wind all the windows down and lock the car??? Is that so your kids don't get out or others don't get in? I can manage to unlock a car with windows down slightly so I don't see the point of locking the car with the windows down???

Yes it's quite easy to unlock a car with window down, the windows can be forced down easily with some pressure. I'd pull over to the doors & then take them in with me.

DH used to leave ours in the car to pay for fuel, I used to go off at him for it. He said "I'm watching them nothing will happen" until one night a lady's car was stolen from that very servo & her baby was in the back, the car was found later the next day, luckily the baby was ok. After that, he was horrified. He never did it again, would always do it after he picked me up from work so I could stay with them.

#37 newmum2one

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I always take my DD in no matter how inconvenient it is because I can't help but think how horrible it would be if there was an accident and there was a fire/explosion and my poor child was trapped in the car.

#38 LittleDCJ

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

I either fill up when DH is with me or I don't have kids with me.  If I do have one or both of the kids with me I will always get them out and take them into pay with me.

#39 ~MaidenWarrior~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

I fill up when I'm on my way to netball, because DH is at home with the kids. Or he fills up on his way to touch football, while I'm at home with the kids.

Otherwise is is done when we are both in the car so one of us can look after them.

#40 ok~computer

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Dh always makes sure the car is full, only once have I had to get petrol with ds and I took him in with me.

#41 censura carnero

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have always left them in the car.  To get a toddler and a baby out and strap them into the pram to pay for fuel seems utterly ridiculous to me and far more dangerous than a car spontaneously combusting.

#42 crazymummyp

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

I am a single parent, so no option but to get petrol with the kids, on my own. The service stations I use are small. I stop at a pump that is close to the door and visible from the register. I leave the kids in the car to pay. The longest it has ever taken is about 3mins.

In 17yrs of getting petrol, I can only recall seeing parents getting their children out of the car while they pay a couple of times. So I suspect that most parents leave their kids in the car.

This question comes up a lot and always the "car will blow up/get stolen/get too hot" scenarios get raised. Thing is though, I have never once heard of any of these happening whilst a parent paid for petrol. I don't know of any reported cases. I have done my risk assessment and am quite comfortable with my decision.

#43 Guest_Cali~_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

I try to only go to Mobil service stations where i can pay with my card at the pump.

I wish all petrol stations had this card at pump option but of course they want you to come inside and do half your grocery shopping there too!!

I confess when i have absolutely HAD to get petrol and have had children with me, i do leave them but keep my eyes on the car at almost every second. But that's rare.

#44 Mummymoo

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

I have always taken my kids out of the car no matter how much time it has taken to take them out and put them in.
5 minutes of messing around is far better than 1 minute being away from them and having your child choke, over heat, car stolen or any other dilema.

Cherie

#45 laughter

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

How is parking next to the closest bowser any better than a further away bowser??? If someone was going to take your car (with children in it or without children in it) I doubt how far away you parked is going to enable you to stop them... or make your kids safer.

How is having the children in eye view any better than not being able to see them?

I really dont see how hard it is to take children in with you while paying for petrol. And yes, I have two boys who constantly protest about having to get in/out of the car. Too bad.

This question comes up a lot and always the "car will blow up/get stolen/get too hot" scenarios get raised. Thing is though, I have never once heard of any of these happening whilst a parent paid for petrol. I don't know of any reported cases.

I distinctly remember a case on the news when a car was taken from a service station with a baby inside.

Edited by *hayley*, 26 October 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#46 Supermum3

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

That will be me. I do it for both. There is no locks for them to touch in the back only the driver door has it. There is a alarm anyone that opens the door it will go off and it's just a habit now. Something I Do.... My children will never get out of their seats my oldest 2 are older so they know better and they know they are not to touch our dd carseat... Does it really matter anyway, I won't leave the windows up when it over 40 out here and my kids have never been hurt or stolen while I have paid for my fuel. I think it's more dangerous to get them out and keep a eye on all 3. I would have to have dd in my arms and hold onto both my other 2 children, then which they would hold each other hands and I will hold one, as I only have 2 hands... wink.gif yep they are better off in the car...

Just to add I park at the closet so I can keep a eye on the car and them, there kids aren't they...

I distinctly remember a case on the news when a car was taken from a service station with a baby inside

I remember this also it was when ds #1 was little and I also remember the keys where in the car too...

There's no right way or wrong way. There is dangers in both ways.

Edited by countrymum3, 26 October 2008 - 12:00 PM.

#47 princess222003

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

Im on my own so I have no choice but to go to the petrol station with my kids. I leave them in the car as they are only 'want' and carry on in the shop and Im not in for dragging 2 kids back to the car screaming and kicking coz they cant have what they want and having to carry 1 and then watching that my older 2 dont run away from me. Im only in the shop quick enough to pay and its always with cash so I dont have to wait.

Its a personal choice in the end. I live in a country town if I was in a big city then maybe I would do it different original.gif

#48 KylieB

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

I've got a thing about leaving my kids in the car so mine come with me  original.gif
The station I frequent is always busy and I am sometimes in line for a while but I just can't bring myself to leave them in.

#49 MadamFrou-Frou

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

If my son is sleeping I leave him in the a car when paying for petrol etc. Doors locked, one window open a little for air.

I really don't stress about it!

#50 jaycobntyl

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

yes and I remember hearing about a case where a little boy got his penis stuck in the plug hole of the bath... I still bathe my children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.