Need opinions - leaving child in car (paying for petrol etc)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#126 LunaLovegood

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

Edited by LunaLovegood, 13 January 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#127 ~meh~

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

rubyinnewyork: That mother left her child not in view of herself. Most places that parents are leaving their kids to pay fuel is not more than a few metres away and still in sight.

Oh and no i dont leave my wallet in the car... my wallet doesnt yell and scream when someone tries to take it! I also happen to need it to pay. I do however most the time leave my phone in the car as its in my bag and i cant be a*sed taking it with me.

I dont leave my kids in the car when going in to the shops, simply because I become to far away and out of line of sight. I also generally dont fill up my car when the petrol station is busy so i walk in, maybe wait for one person to pay and then pay and walk out... all of a few minutes.

#128 Gangnam Style

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

I firstly ensure they are dressed in their fully fire retardant jumpsuits, and that their gas masks to ward off noxious fuel fumes are in place. I then chain and padlock the precious diddums' to my breast (I have a special piercing for this), and lead them carefully across the forecourt, waving my own personal "stop" sign to any vehicle in the vicinity. After paying for the fuel, I use an antibacterial handwash on all our hands, and give them a precautionary vitamin C tablet before carefully retracing our steps across the forecourt back to our vehicle and return immediately to our fully padded, sanitised and gated home community.

#129 Shet

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Is this still going? *yawn*

#130 --descentia--

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

laugh.gif

But ... but ... but ...

Contumely there could be acid rain. Or a flood. And surely you are aware of the danger of falling pianos? Shouldn't you equip helmets with special visors made of titanium and ensure a small portable lifeboat is towed along behind you (I recommend a second, larger piercing above the tailbone for raft attachment)?

#131 melanieb530

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

I guess ultimately everyone has to do their own risk assessment and decide what is best in their own circumstances.

Personally I do always take the kids with me but partly because I'm in a state where you can be prosecuted for leaving children in the car.
As I work in child care and need a "Working With Children Check" Card I just worry about somehow being reported or caught out and don't want to jeopardise my WWCC as I couldn't get a job without it.

#132 *chan*

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

Once when I took them in, the servo lady told me breathing in petrol fumes wasn't good for them.

I told her my car wasn't a submarine, air (and petrol fumes) get in there too.

Anyway, I fill up when they are at school and I only have the little one and she comes in with me. Or I leave them home with Dad and do it at night. Or he does it.

This is such a stupid debate. Petrol stations are so different. You can't say not taking the kids in when you fill up at an outback roadhouse with 1 car going past every 3 days is the same as a crowded servo with 20 bowsers, 50 people and a checkout 30 metres away.

Just do what you feel safe with. You will work it out just like everyone else.

#133 Guest_GLRR_*

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

I hadn't read any of this thread except this last page but I'm glad I did, Contumely  laughing2.gif

#134 Soontobegran

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

I don't believe people when they say they have weighed up the risk - thats typical EB bollocks  - it is just pure "can't be bothered, its easier for me to leave them in the car".

How condescending glare.gif
Just wait until you have a couple more children and come back and tell us how safe it is for you to cross across a petrol station with one on your hip and a couple toddling along beside you.
Perhaps you will get your double pram out, assemble it and take the 60 second trip to the counter.
Bollocks to that!

#135 MoonPie

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

Contumely  laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif

#136 catnat

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:52 AM

Perhaps you will get your double pram out, assemble it and take the 60 second trip to the counter.

I can just see me setting up my 3 SEATER pram in the middle of the service station laughing2.gif : my less than a minute to pay would became a major outing! Then again it seems some people would unstrap 3 children and take them back inside the 5 steps to grab the nappy bag blink.gif , makes me wonder how their children cope whilst they have to sit in the car whilst their stroller is set up especially as mummy could get mugged and bashed in the process. Maybe leaving the house at all is just too dangerous but then again there are all those dangers at home too I suppose like mum could get have a stroke or slip in the shower, you just never know in this horrible dangerous world.

Gee there are some people on this place who spout some utter crap!

#137 jaycobntyl

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

We are lucky I guess in that our butcher, fruit & veg and local small shop are all able to be parked out the front of...

If I am running in to get something from the butcher 4 year old stays in the car and probably has more visibility from the butcher than the servo.

Fruit & veg he comes in to harass the bananas and grapes

Local shop if I am ducking in to get milk or bread he stays in the car where I can see him

OH and 9/10 times my bag is sitting on the front seat next to my mobile phone and I have just quickly grabbed the card out to pay or cash and left the rest on the front seat.

When the above things happen chances are both kids are with me and if my 11 year old cannot be trusted to sit in a car while I duck in the shops then we have bigger issues than if we get the meat/f&V or milk that night... anyone passing by is more than welcome to him (but they are a double deal, take one take the other).

I just do not have the energy to live my life in that much fear

*eta* just call the wallet,bag and phone on the seat a saftey precaution... I mean really I leave the kids there to watch my bag!  laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif

Edited by jaycobntyl, 28 October 2008 - 07:14 AM.

#138 Nicoleandhergirls

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

Still can't believe this is still going.! blink.gif
and yes I do leave my phone in the car as well and wallet actually.
I am just a baddddd person. Call in the stakes and fire i am going to burn and go to hell dev (6).gif  dev (6).gif  dev (6).gif

#139 jaycobntyl

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

This thread is like the energizer bunny.... OI

#140 Gangnam Style

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

Visors and another piercing? You are such a hover mom descentia.   laughing2.gif

#141 ~Sorceress~

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

I'm just surprised nobody's mentioned the virtues of tin foil helmets ...  dev (6).gif

#142 *SYM*

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

Actually I use to take my three kids out of the car to pay for fuel, would park at the bowser nearest to the door and park the car wide so no one could squeeze theirs through and mow the kids down.  But I've already admitted that I'm paranoid.  Where can I get one of those helmets for the kids from laughing2.gif  Although, wouldn't this increase their risk of being taking by aliens?

#143 ampersand

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

Descentia, pokies, pah! I make my seven year old fill up for us and then beg other drivers for the money to pay as she makes her way to the till. That way I don't have to bother getting out of the car at all.

Contumely, that's all very well, but are they organic?

#144 ilovecream

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

Here is a question for the helicopter caring parents :

What would happen if you were home alone with your kids (as we all are at times) and you keeled over from a heart attack,stroke,etc? What happens then? who will look after your kids whilst you are out for the count or possibly dead?

Are you ever alone at home? There is a risk you know. wacko.gif

#145 LunaLovegood

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Edited by LunaLovegood, 13 January 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#146 jaycobntyl

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Here is a question for the helicopter caring parents :

What would happen if you were home alone with your kids (as we all are at times) and you keeled over from a heart attack,stroke,etc? What happens then? who will look after your kids whilst you are out for the count or possibly dead?

Are you ever alone at home? There is a risk you know

ohhhh noooo you have just managed to send a heap of people rushing for the valium bottle, life insurance hotline and next of kin files within 3 seconds of reading that post laughing2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.