Need opinions - leaving child in car (paying for petrol etc)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlisonJoanne_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

We're just about to have our first & I've come across (another) dilemma.

I will be at home with the kidlet & therefore will be taking it to the shops etc which will lead to the inevitable having to get petrol. So my question is, when you go pay, what do you do with the baby?

I can see all the safety implications in leaving in the car (from them getting hot, to the car getting stolen, hell, even the car catching fire) but then I remember getting my goddaughter in & out of her car seat & it's all a little mind boggling!

so.
what do you do?

#2 Renoir

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Oh oh.

Maybe you could get fuel while someone else is with you in the car?  I used to fill up after going somewhere with my mum or a friend.

#3 jaycobntyl

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

I park as close as I can to the shop front, and then go in and pay for the fuel.

I tend to wait until DH is home and get him to fuel up for me so I don't have to take DS2 with me, but if I have to I will leave him in the car while I pay.

Sometimes I wait until DS1 is with me so they can both stay in the car or DS1 can go in and pay for me (he is 11).

For the time I am in the servo not much can happen and parents have been doing the same for...well since the family car became common.

#4 Luly

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

DH usually makes sure the tank is full.

Otherwise, there are two local servos with credit card facilities at the pump.

#5 Guest_reginam_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

When I had one child I would take the child in with me.

Now I have 2 children, one with Autism, so I fill the car up, leave them in the car and pay - I don't care what anyone thinks because for our circumstances it is safer. But this is a rare occurrence, as I try to fill the car when DH is with me or when I don't have the boys.

But with one child? Take the child in.

#6 ~meh~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

i have always left my kids in the car  blush.gif  blush.gif

its quicker and easier... not to mention my kids hate getting out the car just to get back in again, plus the tantrums in the servos of "i want, i need".

My kids are strapped in their seats, i generally fill up near the doors and my kids are in view the entire time.

Oh and i am not foolish enough to leave my keys in the car for it to be stolen that quickly.

#7 RaisingTwo

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Make risk assessment of your petrol staion. Do they have those massive roofs like we have in QLD or are the cars left out in the sun? Are you able to park close enough to the pay staion so you can keep an eye out on the car? Are the queues always really long or can you pay your bill within a couple of minutes? Does your petrol station have cars explode every few days?

It really depends on what the situation is at the time you fill up. I've never had a problem leaving my children in the car because they are always in the shade (where I fill up) and I'm the shop paying for the petrol for all of 2 minutes. I always leave the windows halfway open but we also use window sox sunshade so it's not obvious the windows are open IYKWIM. If the queue was longer I'd take them in with me. If the petrol station doesn't have shade I would take them in. However, once they start walking/running away it's much safer for them to stay in the car while I pay rather than risk them getting run over. Now that's more likely to happen than the car exploding don't you think?  wink.gif.

#8 sarah_jane

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Generally I try to avoid having to put petrol in the car with the kids, but if I do have to I leave them in the car and pay.

I have only got them out a few times if it was busy and I was going to have to wait a while inside.

I also drive up and park in front of the window if possible.

Usually I think it's more risky juggling a baby or kids around so many cars than it is to leave them in the car for 2 minutes.

#9 Guest_babylea_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

When my DD was a newborn, I would always get her out of the car if I got out.  Most of the time though DH would go and fill up with petrol for me at the beginning of the week.

Now that shes older, I only get her out of the car if its a hot day or awake, however, I drive the car from the bowser to the front of the shop and only fill up when when the petrol station is not busy.  

I always use the same petrol station so they know me now and serve me as quick as possible.

I feel guilty leaving her there, but shes a nightmare to get into her car seat once out of it.  She resists with all her strength.

#10 laughter

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

you've opened a can of worms here!!!

But, I always take both my kids in to pay for petrol, its a PITA, but, I feel safer doing this.

#11 EveDallas

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

I've always left the kids in the car to pay for petrol.

It amazes me that some posters get their husbands to do it, etc.  Until EB, I had no idea poeple had a problem leaving kids in car to pay for petrol.

#12 twotofour

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

Do what makes you feel comfortable,if it looks safe then leave baby in the car ,if not take it in.I never take my 4 in,I figure if someone is nuts enough to steal 4 little children good luck to them  grin.gif

#13 jaycobntyl

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

I get Hubby to do it so he can pay for it!!

I have never really seen the issue with leaving kids in the car to pay for fuel either...

It annoys me more when you have to sit in a stinking hot car in a queue waiting for someone to take their kids out, pay, put their kids back in and all the rest of it... rather than seeing kids in cars in service stations.

#14 ~meh~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

I figure if someone is nuts enough to steal 4 little children good luck to them

well yes and there is always this... if they are nuts enough to steal a car with two tantrumming boys carrying on because they are not getting lollies and chips and drinks and toys then they are welcome!

#15 tina-6

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

find one that fills your car for you

#16 ladyluck

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Im going to leave bubs in the car and quicky run in.

#17 ~Sorceress~

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

I fill up when there are short queues and a pump available in the shade and easily visible from the checkout. I always leave my windows done up tightly because I hate the thought of my littlies breathing more fumes than they have to.  ph34r.gif

I think one of the keys to successful errands with children in the car is not to wait until you don't have the option of leaving and coming back when the queue etc is shorter.

#18 RubyInNewYork

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

Take the baby with you. I don't know why people say it is so hard - its not!  I do understaand that it would be harder with a bigger kid who might kick up a fuss, but a baby?  It takes me 10 sec to get DD out and put her back in.

Time it so the baby is not in the middle of a nap or something, so he/she will be agreeable to getting  moved around.  If its really that hard, get your DH to fill the tank regularly, or do it together.  

I wouldn't leave a child in the car in the middle of a busy petrol station - just like I wouldn't leave it sitting in a pram in the mall out of arms reach while I paid for something.  There will be heaps of things that you will wonder how the hell you are going to do with a baby but you will manage, it doesn't take that long to get used to it all.

#19 Shet

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

I try to get petrol when the kids aren't with me. However if they are with me I leave them in the car. I get my petrol from a pump close to the window of the service station. I can see see my kids the whole time I am paying for the petrol. I am in and out very quickly.

It must be just those with 1-2 kids that get their kids out of the car with them. I can't imagine any one with 3 plus kids getting them all out just to pay for petrol. Interesting I have never seen anyone around here get their kids out with them when they pay for petrol. Though apparently it is the norm on EB.  wink.gif

#20 blue♥pink

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

When I had one child I would take her in with me and now that I have three, I leave them in the car while I run in and pay.

I do try and get fuel when I don't have the kids but on the odd occasion that I full up and they are with me I prefer not to drag them all out into a busy service station.

#21 RaisingTwo

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

Take the baby with you. I don't know why people say it is so hard - its not!

Easy to say when you have just one that's your daughter's age who will be happily carried everywhere. Wait until she starts to resist being carried and prefer to walk/run and wait until you have 2 to juggle dev (6).gif .

TBH I'll be more stressed to take my mobile children out of the car esp the 2 year old. She will NOT MOVE if she doesn't want to and have to be dragged all the way from the car and back in a screaming tanty. Once she's out of her carseat she will not want to be strapped in again and she's quite strong for a little thing. Wait until your daughter reaches this age  dev (6).gif . How annoying would that be for the other drivers waiting in the queue in the heat?

Edited by RaisingTwo, 26 October 2008 - 09:37 AM.

#22 Belinda

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

I usually get petrol on the way to /home from work, when my son isn't in the car with me.  if I do have to get petrol and I'm alone, I put the window down just enough, deadlock the doors, move the car right near the building and he is in view.

#23 likeminded

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

i personally dont do it because i am just not comfortable with it-i get both ds 2 and dd 6 months out- but with that being said i work in a petrol station and ALOT of people do it- i don't neccessarily think it is a bad thing because some of the tantrums i have seen from lil ones wanting all the crap we have on our shelves are just horrid. BUT i do think it is bad when they park a good 200 m's from the front door and spend their time shopping around the store-
serivce station attendants have no problems with you getting fuel and moving your car to the front of the store so long as you remember to pay. SO in short i think it is ok if u run in and out, park close to the front doors so kids are in view and dont shop around the entire shop!

i have seen a lil boy 3 years old un buckle his 1 year old sister who ran out onto the forecourt into the store THANK GOD we were dead quiet otherwise she'd have been hit!

I try to get petrol when the kids aren't with me. However if they are with me I leave them in the car. I get my petrol from a pump close to the window of the service station. I can see see my kids the whole time I am paying for the petrol. I am in and out very quickly.

It must be just those with 1-2 kids that get their kids out of the car with them. I can't imagine any one with 3 plus kids getting them all out just to pay for petrol. Interesting I have never seen anyone around here get their kids out with them when they pay for petrol. Though apparently it is the norm on EB.

well i can say majority of people leave the kids in the car- but i do have probably 5 or 6 regulars who get their kids out. One of them has 4 kids under 5!!! if she can do it anyone can.

Edited by likeminded, 26 October 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#24 having-fun

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

I had a capsule so it was easy to carry DS into the station with me (for the few times I filled up with just me and him).  Now he is a little older and in a car seat and he is easy to get out.  I have a black, hot car in Queensland so prefer to take him with me.

I imagine this would be different with multiple kids to deal with.

ME 30
DH 35
DS 5/6/2008

#25 Supermum3

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

I have never taken my kids out of the car to pay for my fuel. I have also never seen anyone take there's out.

I always wind down the windows after filling up, park close and lock the doors (remember windows are down) and it's in a nice shaded spot and I won't go in if there is a line up. But I do live in a small country town where people leave there kids in the car and go to the bank etc. Something that I have never done... I have neally been hit by a car at a fuel station I beleive ti's safer where I live to leave them in the car....As it also on a major hwy and trucks come in...

I always wash my hands too I will never pick up my kids straight after I have filled the car without wahing my hands.. Something I have always done..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.