FDC Chat #3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#26 daretofly

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

Bec - I know the feeling of having sick kids.
I am sure you must be feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs doing. Try and break it up. Look at which assessments will take you the least time and start with those.
I know how you feel as I am doing my cert 3 in supporting children with disabilities and the only reason I am getting through my assessments is because we have had two study groups that have enabled me to make a start.

I hope you are able to find a quiet time to make a start.

#27 forestfriends

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

I came across this site online over the weekend which may interst you all - free advertising of your family day care service.

http://www.daycaresearch.net.au/

Got both kids down for naps at the moment - going to finish the posters and ordering the decorations online for my husbands party on sat night...oh and to order the cake, and gee so much to do and he is over 50! thought parties were meant to get easier to orgniase as we get older hehe

#28 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Can't stay....but I advertise on the above site. its run by the same people that run the day carer site original.gif

#29 ~*Bec*~

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thankyou forest friends I just added my availability for 2009. original.gif

#30 forestfriends

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Williambian is there any other sites you can recommend as my scheme is not getting alot of calls as of yet regarding my area :-(

#31 daretofly

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Hi all. Just a quick question - Is anyone else having their pays stuffed up since the new system came in?
I feel like I'm banging my head up a against a wall. When i ring my business office and query because a pay hasn't gone through they say I have to ring the parent and get them to sort it. So I ring the parent and they ring FAO and get told the provider needs to sort it their end. So I rang the childcare line myself and got told the parent needs to sort it! Meanwhile I am down $150 and will now have to resubmit the said weeks and hope I get paid at some stage down the track.  rant.gif

is anybody else dealing with this?

#32 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

forestfriends - not that I can think of. I will ask around though original.gif What is the demand like in your area for DC? Are there many carers and how busy are they? Perhaps once you have had a few kids for a couple of weeks word will spread how good your DC is original.gif

#33 ~*Bec*~

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Where is everyone im not well today and all i want to do is read gossip......

Helloooooo

Edited by beccalyn, 03 September 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#34 ChunkyChook

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Nope, nothing Bec. They all must be busy busy.

We are all outside. Thw weather is gorgeous here for once. Hope it keeps up.

My house inspection went well but they are putting the rent up $20 a week. I might sign another 12 months and stay and do FDC while I finish my Cert III and then maybe move somewhere small and crap for 12 months and work in a Child Care Centre and save my bum off and buy or build. The set up for FDC and start it again.

So many options....

Anyhoo I'm off, catch you all soon.

#35 forestfriends

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Dare to fly - my parents pay me direct so im happy i dont have to deal with issues like that :-)

Williambian - there is high need for day care and for family day care in my area. There are waiting lists (apparently) with the other schemes inmy area or so I was told when I was trying to get approval from them, however as my scheme is not based in my area parents don't know that I exist! I am hoping that I pick up some extras soon.

I am starting a third day in a couple of weeks time but now parents have decided isntead of taking a second day which is what they had previously planned to do - they are now switching days. In a few weeks time Iw ill only have one child on tues and wed, but will be full on thursday!

Patience I guess is not my strong point - when I'm so eager!

#36 daretofly

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

Forestfriends - have you thought about advertising at the local kindy and schools.

Edited by daretofly, 03 September 2008 - 06:23 PM.

#37 forestfriends

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

the schools in my area charge to have you advertise in their school newsletter as i am currently advertising my other business that way, but i will contact a few tommorow see if i can put something in just the body of the newsletter perhaps. I know kids will come...eventually but im on a timeline to have the renovations finished by feb to keep my license!

#38 mumofmaximus

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hello everyone.
Haven't been on here as i've been busy with preparations. Have just had the police check cleared and finished reading the stack of paperwork grin.gif  So now have to call the people to come for a check. I did that first off even before i start so i know what they are going to say: glass doors checked etc etc. I just want to get the green light then i can start doing up the house  hands.gif  rant.gif
Also, Max's b'day is coming up, and 3 more b'days plus fathers day rolleyes.gif So busy busy busy! And i'm not even working laughing2.gif

#39 biene_maja

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hey girls,

beccalyn - Sorry you felt so lonely yesterday.Hopefully it'll get busier in here today.

I've just posted something in another thread and was wondering if you guys could take a look and answer "from a parents point of view"
http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....howtopic=585401

I'm still throughing idea around. Can't stop myself.

Hope everyone has a great day.

#40 forestfriends

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi Maren

I answeredthe other thread  original.gif

I overslept this morning and missed an appointment so now at home doing more paperwork until I have to be at work at 1pm this afternoon. Oh well its raining, wet and ugly anyway so better to be home with chocoloate and a mountain of paperwork I say!

#41 biene_maja

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for your answers Forestfriends & Williambian.

I hope it wasn't an important appointment that you missed.

We've got pretty good weather today but I'll be stuck inside doing work for my website.

#42 forestfriends

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I was supposed to be running another infant massage class this morning - but they were ok for me to postpone due to weather being so terrible anyway phew!

#43 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi maren - I also answered in the other thread original.gif

mumofmaximus - well done on getting started and  laughing2.gif at being eager I used to be like that laughing2.gif No seriously it is still good just some days I could give it up in a heart beat (but then one of them doesn soemthing gorgeous and I wouldn't give it up for the world! wub.gif )

forestfriends - what about a flyer drop in the area, community notice boards, make sure you always have business cards in case the need arises (I have used a few this way, unfortunatly I have never had an opening that I could take them). Do you have any womens gyms or regular ones in the area? What about their notice boards? original.gif

Question (sorry long) - Do you charge holding rates for parents that take holidays or do you charge full fees as usual? I have always charged normal fee if they are sick or away.

I have a parent (lovely family and gorgeous boy) who looks like they might take a few weeks before chrissy to go away and another 6weeks after I come back (I am taking four weeks leave myself for chrissy and then getting married and a honeymoon). She would do this so she could fly early or else she will be too pregnant to fly. Then she would have the baby down there (more family support for the older boy) and need to stay till the baby was six weeks and could fly home with her.

So potentiallly she would take eight weeks leave. I am trying to decide what to offer her - usual full fees while away, 75% fees or 50% fees. I will need to talk to my scheme about what will happen to CCB over this time as its so long first but what does everyone think? This would take me down to just two paying spots while she is away. What would you do?

In other news - We are having an easy day today. Finished off the cooking for Fathers Day and are watching some DVDs  ph34r.gif . It is wet and cold and I feel like cr@p so I am giving myself a break.

Off to lay on the lounge and try to keep my eyes open grin.gif

On a side note DS has just eaten the whole container of fruit I cut this morning thinking it would last most of the day! ph34r.gif  Half an apple, and orange, a big serve of rockmelon and a big handful of grapes  Man that kid can eat! laughing2.gif

#44 forestfriends

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

I am going to approach a couple of the places suggested by others in this forum next week with some business cards. Cannot hurt to keep trying!

In regards to parents paying holding fees while away this is outlined in our parent handbook by the scheme, parents are to pay full fees as holding deposit as you are unable to place another child in care during that time. However saying this my parents pay me directly and the scheme only pays me the CCB% therefore in this circumstance I would probably work out a payment plan option with the family so that they could pay if off.

#45 *~Bee~*

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi Ladies. I have been sick at home so not posting, but I am unfortunately back at work now  tongue.gif

I rang me scheme and asked again when they were coming out to do the inspection (as he didnt turn up mad.gif) and we have booked another appointment for Thurs at 3:15pm so i am really looking forward to that. He said not to worry, and that his job is to help look for solutions rather than problems wub.gif he also said as long as the main issues (like fencing, safety glass and fire extingushers) are ok, then we can also do a management plan for the small things and get them fixed as we go along, and once I am up and running with an income.

forestfriend ~ Good luck with the business cards!

Williambian ~ For me it would depend on how much I wanted to keep their place. As a parent I wouldnt pay for childcare for 8 weeks if my child wasnt going to use it. So, if you ask for full fees there may be a chance they will just take them out of care. If they are a good family I would rather sit down with them and offer say 1/2 price. Especially if I still have places available, so its not like you are turning families away IYKWIM. 1/2 price is still better than loosing the family all together. But I know my scheme recommends full fees for holding, which is fine for 1-2 weeks but not 8!

Well I really better get back to work, and catch up for yesterday!

Belinda

#46 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Bee - thats what I thought. Eight weeks is a long time to pay for something you aren't using. I am otherwise full so don't have the spots to offer others if we hold the spot either so I would lose money if its a holding fee as I could probably fill that spot.

But she is so lovely and the kid is great...... unsure.gif

#47 ~*Bec*~

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

WHO'S GOING????

To the Family Day Care Australia National Confrence 2009??

#48 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Where is it Bec?

#49 ~*Bec*~

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Tasmaina......May 2009 (the end) full payment requiredby march 2009 or fee's apply

#50 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Nope then don't think so laughing2.gif  Too much to do and pay for before then original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.