FDC Chat #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#51 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

It has nothing to do with FDC. It is all dads money.

I earnt a few grand from FDC and spent most of it setting up.

Apparently because I wasn't a dependent they tax the heck out of it.

Oh well, things could be worse I suppose. Atleast I have the money here.

I am making truffles all done up for he dads with cards made by the kids.

#52 daretofly

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Kodi - Don't give up on doing cert III. I've heard the government is thinking of funding cert III plus diploma's in early childhood. And maybe you can do it externally so you don't lose money.

Also you would know a lot of stuff and might be able to have recognised prior learning for some of the modules.

#53 aejsmum

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Kodi, that sucks....

I know the government fund Cert 2 in Childrens Services, possibly #3 as I have seen ads in the paper. Maybe it's just a QLD thing?

#54 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

Unfortunately Victoria is the only state that doesn't have funding. I was speaking to my FDC co-ordinator and she said they are trying to get it in the next 6-9 months. So if I cant get concession I will have to hope they get funding and start in in 12 months.

I will definately be doing it external. Hopefully then I can do a Diploma and then work in a centre while I move into a crap hole for a while to save and buy and start FDC again. Hopefully I will buy a house by 2015  wacko.gif

#55 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hey girls,

Kodi - Sorry to hear about your dad & we're not fans of the tax man in this house either. DH has to pay around $23 000 and that's with a huge list of deductions. Otherwise it would be $30 000.
He always wonders why he works so hard. 1/2 goes for tax and 65% goes into mortage after. ohmy.gif

daretofly - I know they have to make all the rules so strict for people who are likely to break them but it's still annoying.

Question: 2 FDC carers can visit each other with the kids, can't they? If my friend & I both set up our houses and one then comes over with her kids for a few hours. Would that be ok? Like going to playgroup.

#56 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

2 FDC carers can visit each other with the kids, can't they? If my friend & I both set up our houses and one then comes over with her kids for a few hours. Would that be ok? Like going to playgroup.
Yes that is fine. You are allowed to visit. We have a mother and daughter in our scheme and they visit each other all the time.

#57 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Kodi - fingers crossed you get the concssion and that Vic gets funding for it very soon. Yuck to the tax man too! ohmy.gif

aejsmum - We rent too and the place could definately do with a make over....we do what we can with mats/rugs and wall pictures and painting etc. But if we owned it we would do so much more! sad.gif

Doesn't fathers day always sneak up too quick! I need to get a move on with DSs gift to Daddy (we do a double page spread each year in his fathers day album with hand prints and letters and momentos from the year gone). The DCK however are decorating photoframes and hoping to get pics of them with their dads (must speak to the mums!) and then something yummy to take home with it. original.gif

daretofly - Fingers crossed that you are all better today/tomorrow and that you don't catch the bug too.

Maren - check with your scheme about how long they can stay for, some have limits to how long you can stay out for I believe. But two carers can definatley meet up without a coordinator present original.gif

I have been so busy here! Between the DCK, a unit inspection today (real estate this time rolleyes.gif ) and trying to pin down some wedding details I end up dragging myself to bed at midnight for a few hours sleep before dragging myself up again at 6 to do it all again! wacko.gif  I think I need another me to get it all done!

Well better go as free play is over here... off to try and drag the twins into an activity for ten minutes before I give up and let them go back to free play tongue.gif

Edited by Willambian, 27 August 2008 - 08:56 AM.

#58 forestfriends

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

MY youngest FDC child not coming in today still not 100% had her yesterday and she was miserable. Just the two older ones and playgroup today finishing at 3:30pm must head to the shops for gingerbread man ingredients

#59 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

More Questions from me...

Those of you who upgraded their cars - Which cars did you get? Which cars fit 4 car seats (not in front seat)? Prices?

Is a people mover the only option? Like a Tarago?

Can we deduct the car payments???

Edited to add more questions...

I'll be really rude and ask about money!

Feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

How much do you roughly make each week after tax?
How many kids do you have in care?
What weekly costs do you have (like car payments etc) that leave you with less money in your pocket at the end of the week?
Could you get more kids right now or are you fully booked or have as many as you want to?

Edited by maren, 27 August 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#60 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

maren I upgraded my car but only so I could get 3 carseats across the back. I went from a Laser to a Commodore.

My tax man said I can claim $3,000 a year for the car with no documentation. So I'm happy with that. So I'm not bothering.

I have just dropped to just over $450 a week before tax. I think you are supposed to put away $20 for ever $100 you get?????????

I was fully booked (4 a day, Tues-Fri) until yesterday. One of the mums had to leave work so she has cut back hours and I have one space on a Thursday available.

What weekly costs do you have (like car payments etc) that leave you with less money in your pocket at the end of the week?
I'm a bit unsure what you mean? Do you mean living expenses or just FDC expenses?

#61 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

Thanks heaps.

For the last question I meant FDC related expences that you might be able to claim later but still costs you money weekly. Like car repayments, toy hire, buying toys, art & craft materials etc.

#62 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

Money - I get about $625ish a week before any expenses. I work 32hours a week (92 billable hours!) which is four full days (2 boys @ 8 hrs x 4 days and 1 boy @ 7hrs x 4 days) my son takes up the other place.

I could do the extra day/s but chose not too at this time. I can also do before and after school care when I upgrade the car next year if I decide to.

I try to put $100-200 away for tax each week. Its not happening atm with the wedding coming up, I figure I have a good 6months when we come back from honeymoon to top that up before tax time and worse case scenerio is I use part of my Family Tax Benefit (that I get paid lump sum at end of financial year) to pay if I owe anything.

Weekly estimated expenses (as far as FDC goes) include:
* % of rent - $112.00
* % of electricity - $7.10
* PL insurance - $12.94
* % of internet - $10.00
* % of home phone - $5-8.00 (depending on calls made)
* % of mobile - $5.00 (again depends on calls)

The rest I buy what I need/want as I need it these include:
* stationery
* toys
* books
* some food
* cleaning and nappy change materials
* sundry expenses such as storage, replace vacuum parts, furniture used for FDC etc

So while my FDC income looks cr@p on paper I am also paying for things that we would be using anyway - rent, electircity, phone, toys etc I generally also get any of the money I put aside back for tax as I haven't had to pay yet and accountant says I probably won't need to as long as I keep track of all my expenses etc original.gif

Wow that was longer than I thought! LOL you caught me as I had just begun the budget so had all the info handy! blush.gif

Edited by Willambian, 27 August 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#63 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

Just a quick one.

What collumns does everyone have for expenses?

So far I have food, gas & Elec, Toys & books, phone &internet, cleaning & hygiene.

#64 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

I'm sure Williambian can help you out with that one!  grin.gif

Thanks heaps for the detailed answers.

Everyone always only mentiones rent as tax deductable. Can we claim mortage too???

#65 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

LOL yes a bit detailed there...but while I have my spreadsheet out.

Date
Description (ie who I paid)
Motor Vehicle (km)
Rent (%)
Insurance
Internet (%)
Home Phone (%)
Mobile (%)
Stationery
Electricity (%)
Food
Materials
Toys
Ref (Cd's books)
Levies
Sundry
Sundry Description

These are straight off my spreadsheet

maren - i think you can but if you do there are some disadvantages elsewhere. will go see if i can find the article about it for you original.gif

Edited by Willambian, 27 August 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#66 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Amber!!

maren my tax man said that if you run a business from home you have to claim the profit if you sell?????????? something like that. I'm really not good with tax stuff. Someone else will know or Ambers articl if she can find it.

#67 *~Bee~*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

Maren ~ Yes you can but its highly unadvised because of Capital Gains Tax! Definitely definitely dont go there. Not worth it in my option. We are in the same boat, we own too. Repairs and maintenance can be claims that directly relate to FDC but not loan repayments unless you want to get massively stung if you ever sell up.

#68 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

From what I have read kodi and bee are both right original.gif

Here is a link to the article if you are interested in more info - I was going to paste it but it is a bit longer than I remember original.gif

http://daycarer.com/forum/phpBB-3.0.RC8/ph...php?f=19&t=1680

#69 daretofly

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hi. My DD5 is much better. Driving me nuts actually but kept her home due to still may be contagious. No care obviously. Lost about $300 this week so far!  
Next year I have decided to put a certain amount away a week to cover two weeks worth of sick days and three weeks holidays, then I won't worry about losing income.

maren - I have a tarago and I love it. It has so much room.
I have two booster seats at the back with a harness in the middle for a slightly older child who doesn't need a booster but i don't want just a lap belt on them (they get quite stroppy about wearing them but they know my rules), and a harness seat in front plus another booster and harness when I need it. The petrol bill is huge but that is because i do so much running around with kindy, school runs, playgroups and library etc plus personal use.
Yes you can deduct the car payments.You work out the % of use for fdc and claim that.

Here is my tax deductible list
* I claim 100% if only daycare children use
Baby *
car (Loan, accessories, Tyres, Rego, Petrol)
cleaning
craft and books
Electricity and Gas
Equiptment hire
Excursions *
Food and Drink
General Equiptment under $300
General Equiptment over $300
Gifts *
Insurance FDC
House (Rent, maintenance, Insurance)
Personal (If my kids have something but are willing to share it, I do not expect them to though.)
Postage
Repairs
Sundry
Taxation
Telephone (landline and mobile)
Toys
Training
Video Hire, Dvd's and Music
Wear and Tear

I work nine days a F/N during the week and one weekend a F/N.

I also claim gst on all of the above where applicable.

#70 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

My tax man just rang  cry1.gif it's confirmed at just over $3,000. I also got a letter today to say child support has be dropped by over half.

Oh yay we are going to be poor.

ETA: I dont have a proper receipt for my car as I bought private but the bank has all the paperwork and they gave me the loan. Could I still claim it? Would it be seperate to the other car costs or would I have to start documenting everything?

Edited by kodi1982, 27 August 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#71 *~Bee~*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Kodi ~ Aww I totally feel for you. Hope things pick up quickly. And definitely understand you on the CSA issue. Except I am kinda lucky wink.gif as EX doesnt pay anything so the dip in what he has to pay doesnt really affect me. mad.gif

From someone who knows....you'll get through it and you will get your house in the end.

#72 ChunkyChook

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Bee. I knew it was all running too smoothly. Usually happens, everything rolls along wonderfully and then a spanner is thrown in the works.

That's life I guess, thanks for listening to my 'poor me' sook.

#73 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thanks heaps again for the answers. Big help to know all this in advance.

Ok I need your opinion. I just made a long brain storm list about how to arrange things so that I could meet up with my friend's FDC as often as possible.

I've looked at all the option and I think "visiting" seems to be the only legal way of doing things.

So tell me what you think:

We'd each have 2-3 kids (I can only have 2 because of DD)so we can fit them into normal (3 seats at back) cars/ until we upgrade.

That means we could freely drive them to excursions.
We could then meet up mornings & afternoons at playgrounds, playgroup, play centres or at each others houses.

We could plan activities etc together and do them while visiting the other house.

For the lunch time nap & lunch we'd drive back home with just our kids and maybe come back in the afternoon.
If younger babies need naps while visiting they could sleep in a cot at the other house.

I guess I'm so set on the idea of doing things together because I know I'd enjoy my work so much more if I had another adult there to help out and bounce ideas off etc. And it's much better for the kids if the adults are having fun as well.

She only lives a few min by car so driving back and forth is no big deal.

Tell me if I sound crazy???

Would you ever do overnight care "off the books" if a parents asked you?

#74 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

No I wouldn't do overnight care off the books. I would be concerned with insurance issues mstly. (but then I also don't offer overnight at all)

I think your plan to do things together is great however I think you will also need to see how the kids cope with being out that often and be very flexible. Make sure your parents are aware of your plans at initial interviews and possibly arrange for them to meet the other carer as you want to be together so much. original.gif

Actually it sounds very appealing! I want a FDC friend to do this stuff with! (If only I could get out of the house more! * sigh*  Next year when I upgrade the car original.gif )

#75 biene_maja

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Of course I'd make sure the parents know about it and that the kids would enjoy themselves. If they don't cope well, we'd have to change things.

There is a FDC chat forum somewhere and maybe you could actually find someone in your area and meet up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.