So confused about sleep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tetinks

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi

My DD is 4 months and her sleeping patterns have recently changed a lot.

She used to sleep from 7pm until 4am, have a quick feed then sleep again until 7 or 8am. Now she is waking once or twice more at night for a feed. I don't like it, but i can live with it!

However the real problem is settling her... We used to just put her in bed at 7pm after her feed and wouldn't hear from her again until 4am, but now she is crying and taking up to 2 hours to settle - it is exhausting!

We have tried everything we can think of and nothing seems to help.

I am thinking about using gentle controlled comforting with her, but all the books say to wait until 6 months at least. I am fine with that, but what do I do now?!? I have tried putting her in bed awake & asleep, settling in the cot and in my arms but nothing seems to work.

I should also add that she settles beautifully during the day. I put her down awake and 90% of the time she setles herself to sleep and is able to resettle herself if/when she wakes... so I know she can do it, she just doesn't seem to want to/be able to at night.

Any advice?!

#2 poss71

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi, you could try putting her to bed 15 - 30 min later and see if that helps.  If you are taking 2 hours to settle her anyway it shouldn't affect her sleep too much and may even help.

Also, have you thought about any external noise (or lack of it) around that time that might be affecting her?  If the usual dinner preparation or quiet chat/TV watching that you do isn't going on that might be a reason. We have an exhaust fan in the bathroom that we turn on in the evenings to make white noise, as we're at the other end of the house and she can't hear us.  Same idea works if you have more noise going on than usual too...

Good luck!

Edited by poss71, 15 June 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#3 Etcetera

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

I don't have any advice but wanted to tell you that there is a big developmental chagne that happens around 4 months, so what you are going through is absolutely normal. You may just have to ride it out.

#4 Chockybits

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Claireabell, my DS is 4 months old and night sleeps have really changed for us too. Bedtime was about 7ish and then he would wake for a feed about 10-10:30 and then again around 4. I used to be able to feed him, pop him back in his bassinette awake, jump back into bed and go to sleep. He did have a week or so prior to that of skipping the 4am feed too...but not anymore! He's now waking several times throughout the night and won't go to sleep on his own anymore either. He has moved into a cot in his own room though so that could be playing a big part. He won't take the dummy anymore either and the only way I can calm him down is to let him suck on my finger.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but just thought I'd let you know that we're having issues too. I think there's a good possibility that my DS is teething, but I guess I'll know if a tooth pops up! I'm hoping this is just another phase our bubs are going through as it's quite tireing hey!

#5 felicitous

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

Clareabelle, I dont have any advice either but i am in the same boat here.  In the past week my solid night routine is gone.  I have resorted to driving her around the block, rocking her etc.  The energy i have had to put in is crazy.  Even then these methods are not working half the time as well.  I was also hoping teething might be the answer but i am stating to question this as so many seem to be experiencing the same thing.

#6 ceedee81

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

Clareabell we were in the same pg dig.  The last four days & nights all sense of any routine here has gone speeding out the door at an alarming rate.   Jayden has been the perfect baby up until now......  ohmy.gif  

He has taken to wanting to feed every hour  ohmy.gif  rant.gif  ohmy.gif  and there is nothing I can do to change it.  He is flat out refusing the dummy and wont let it anywhere near his mouth and will only accept my nipple   rant.gif  to stop the screaming and by screaming it sounds like he is in pain and nothing will calm.  I am sooooo exhausted.  sad.gif

Dp has even moved to the spare room because Jayden has moved into our bed  blush.gif until we get past this stage.

I have just got him off to sleep now and I did a sneaky slip the nipple out slip the dummy in but I couldnt get it all the way in so I just rubbed his gums with it and he seemed to really enjoy it  biggrin.gif   so this now has me thinking that he is definately teething.  

I have asked dp to get some bonjella and a nubby teething dummy I saw at target (it has massage nodules near the base) on his way home from work.

I am  hands.gif this will help and it will pass soon, I dont know how much more my nipples or me for that matter can take!!!

#7 Tetinks

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Thank you girls

It is HUGELY comforting to know i am not the only one!

I don't have any advice but wanted to tell you that there is a big developmental chagne that happens around 4 months, so what you are going through is absolutely normal. You may just have to ride it out.

Almond eyes that is really reassuring. i have heard a heap about 4 months being a tricky stage but i am still unsure of exactly what is developing at this time IYKWIM. i am so curious i have ordered a book on developmental milestones but it hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks again to everyone and Ceedee it's good to see you again!

#8 chat

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

It's so common for their sleep to go to crap at around 4 months cry1.gif  Perhaps try putting her to bed a little later, or maybe giving her a comfort item (could be separation anxiety).

My baby's sleep seems to go to the dog house every couple of months laughing2.gif  but she's a happy easy going girl, so that's OK LOL.

#9 watchthemgrow

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:22 PM

ahhhhhh things are only just starting to settle for us now, dont tell me in a months time its going to go down hill again!!!

#10 rubesmummy

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

oh girls i feel your pain!

so many of us have posted on here about our bubs waking at 4 months, myself one of them, and it is soooo hard to go through it when they were previously sleeping through

id just like to say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
My DD is now nearly 5 months and right on 4 months she started doing this, and as a pp said and my CHN said, 4 months is really full on for bubs. There is so much happening that it can all get a bit much at night, they dream dream away and it can make them wake (sorry i have posted this advice previously so im sorry to you all who have listened to me ramble on previous posts!)
all i did was try and resettle as much as possible and not feed so they dont get used to it (yes and i know some may not agree with me on this one ). If i did feed just gave 100ml and put back to sleep.

My DD is now almost back to normal, she gets up now sometime between 5 and 6.30am, after going to bed at about 7.30/8pm. As long as its around this time i feed her and then she sleeps another 1/1.5 hours,

so my advice is hang in there it will get better (hopefully) just thought id share my experience

good luck

#11 Tetinks

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

id just like to say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

eexcite.gif

#12 chat

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

ahhhhhh things are only just starting to settle for us now, dont tell me in a months time its going to go down hill again!!!

Haha I think it depends on the little person wink.gif  They have these normal (common) sleep changes and growth spurts, but you get one like Miss Poppy every now and then. She's such a happy quiet baby so I can't complain. Yesterday her day started at 530am, she had 2 x 40 min sleeps all day and went to bed around 730pm. She was as happy as anything grin.gif  This morning she has slept beautifully, catching up I suspect. She never sleeps as well on the weekends with all the excitement of her big sisters around.

Edited by chat, 23 June 2008 - 11:32 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.