Hypotonic-Hyporesponsive Episode after 8 wk vaccinations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jed31

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hi ladies,

We got our 8 week son vaccinated on the weekend and he immediately went limp, pale, blue around the lips, sweaty, shaky and non-responsive.  We were absolutely beside ourselves and were told by our doctor that he had had a rare reaction to the Pertussis vaccination called a 'Hypotonic-Hyporesponsive Episode'.  I have read that there is a link with children reacting this way and developing epilepsy or autism later in life and would like to hear from other mum's whose baby's had a similar reaction.  Needless to say we are very hesitant to continue with his vaccinations!!!

J

#2 Butterscotch

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

Oh my Lord!  How FRIGHTENING!!! sad.gif  Can't offer a single piece of advice, but was horrified to read what you have just been through sad.gif

#3 Guest_Cat©_*

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

to.

Edited by Cat©, 14 April 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#4 Mamabug

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

Okay, well this thread has just terrified me. DS went into what I have refered to as a deep sleep immediately after his 8wk vaccination.

His breathing was slow and shallow and he was limp as. He didn't respond to gentle shaking, so we took him straight to the nurse who tried running her finger along the bottom of his foot. That didn't initially work, so she pinched him a couple of times and he finally startled.

I have just put it down to him having a slight shock reaction to the trauma of the injection - you know how drained you feel after an adrenaline rush? And he needed a power snooze.

Now I am going to torment myself by researching this further. He has been fine after his subsequent immunisations.

#5 aesthetica

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Oh my god, you poor thing, what a terrifying thing for you to go through!!  I hope your DS has recovered and is back to his old self, the poor little darling.  Chances are he will be fine, but I would definitely keep a close eye on him (which I am sure you are doing anyway!).

I would also definitely be reporting the reaction, and speaking long and hard to your doctors about whether to continue further vaccinations, as well as doing a lot of research yourself.  A child's reactions tend to get worse with each needle . . .

If you do decide you will continue his vaccinations, I would strongly advise to DELAY them as long as possible to give his immune system time to strengthen.  In Japan they only START the vaccination schedule at 2 years (I think?) -- IMO it is ludicrous that we start it here from birth.

I hope your little one is okay.  hands.gif

#6 upup

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Oh I feel so sad for you all, it must be such a scary thing to go through. These vaccines seem to be able to really cause some problems.

You should report the reaction to the vaccine reaction hotline, I am unsure of the number if anyone could help out with that it would be great.

There is a great supportive threat in the natural therapies area with lots of information regarding vaccinations.

There are also some natropaths and homeopaths that work with children and adults to reverse the effects of vaccines. Some have had great results treating autism. Just a thought if you felt the kids had suffered long term from the vaccines.

Good luck and I pray that your children are ok.

#7 jed31

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for your replies and support ladies - it really is so awful to see your little one suffer like that because of something you've done (even if it is done out of love and just trying to do the right thing).  I am in the process of reporting his reaction to the 'adverse drug reaction advisory committee' and doubt that I will continue with any further vaccinations.

Jx

#8 fairymagic

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

I too am sorry for your little boy and I too would probably be talking to a doctor before considering more immunisation however, as this is not the anti-immunisation forum, I wanted to just say that I whole heartedly agree with immunising our children. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this but I would never forgive myself if one of my children developed one on the illnesses I could immunise and protect them from, and then went on to develop one of the complications of this illness.  I also wonder in Japan what their incidence of Whooping Cough is? So many babies end up hospitalised each year with this horrible illness, many of them because they were too young to be immunised and had been exposed or because they hadn't yet been immunised. I know there is a lot of anti-immunisation information out there and my only suggestion would be to make sure you look at the information relating to Australian Immunisations and not the American ones. Good luck.

#9 Guest_Cat©_*

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

rolleyes.gif clh03  

no, this isnt an antivaccination forum or thread and jed31 was just sharing what happened to her son, so I guess that means theres no need for you to come in a pedal pro immunisation is there?  wacko.gif

#10 aesthetica

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

I also wonder in Japan what their incidence of Whooping Cough is?

Actually, for your information, after Japan raised the vaccination minimum age to 2 (in 1975) their infant mortality rate dropped dramatically and now they have the lowest overall infant mortality in the world.  So there goes your theory.  wacko.gif

Jed31 - good luck with it all. FWIW, I wouldn't continue with them either.

#11 LovingMyGirls

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

This is a horrifying story, I really feel for you and hands.gif that your little boy is alright.

As much as doctors tell you that these things are so rare not to worry about it, just vaccinate, it does happen.  I applaud you for ensuring that it is properly reported because I strongly believe that a lot of incidents relating to vaccinations do go unreported (although perhaps not reactions as serious as this).

My DD1 had her vaccinations up to 6 months, I had underlying reservations but never really thought about it to be honest because it is supposed to be just one of those things you just do and TBH I didn't really know you were allowed to not have them done if you didn't want to.   After further research and lots of consideration she has not had the MMR or any subsequent vaccinations at this stage.

This time around with DD2 I elected not to give her Hep B at birth.  She is now 6 weeks and leading up to the dreaded needles (well I dread them).  I am considering delaying them for her to give her immunity a bit more of a chance to develop.

I think if I was in your situation I certainly wouldn't be administering any more vaccinations.  With a history of reacting you have to weigh up if the risks outweigh the benefits.

Good luck OP, thinking of you.

Edited by LovingMyGirls, 11 April 2008 - 12:29 PM.

#12 6kidsmom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi my 8 wk old baby had a HHE reaction, he went stiff and then stopped breathing, this was in the evening, he was in Hosp for 2 nights but of course didnt have another episode, has any other parents had their babies go thru a similar thing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.