Kalani

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ~~nik~~

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

What do you think of this name for a girl

Edited by ~~nik~~, 24 March 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#2 ~pink~diamond~

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

I like it.

#3 Guest_*tro~tro*_*

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

hmmm....i think it sounds made up ph34r.gif

#4 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

Its a town in Qld to me (Kilarney)... but I know there is a little girl on here with her middle name spelt Kalaani..

Not sure if I "like" it, but I definately dont hate it.

Edited by MyBoyOllie, 23 March 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#5 ~calypso~

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

I think it sounds really pretty original.gif

#6 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

I wouldn't use it myself but it's not a bad name.

#7 Sprinkles :)

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

I wouldn't use it but it could work! original.gif

#8 FunkyChooken

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

I like it.  Could never use it as is almost rhymes with DD3's name. original.gif
I like Kalahni.

#9 ~~nik~~

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

The other name we like is Shiloh.....do you have a preference?

#10 bubba5

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

I like Kalarni (isn't it the farm's name from McLouds Daughters?)better than shiloh - isn't this Brangelina's biological child's name?

#11 nikki17

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

A Friend of ours daughters name is Kalani and shes gorgeous!!

#12 ~Bloom~

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Absolutely love Kalani! Particularly Kalani-Rose wub.gif  wub.gif

#13 jobear86

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

My cousin named her son Kalani and I think its quite nice....also would suit a girl probably better than a boy.

I was told it means Heavens in Hawaai??

#14 bubbalee

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

I love, love, love Kalani.
I would love to use that name if we ever have a girl but our surname starts with  a 'k' sound and think it might be too much. sad.gif

#15 brissymama

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

its a hawaiian name, i think a boys name. i know there is a pro surfer Kalani Rob, he is hawaiian. We are considering it for a middle name if we have a boy...

So i love it!!

#16 blueellemich01

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

I really like it ! It sounds pretty original.gif

I really like it ! It sounds pretty original.gif

#17 Belinda

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

I've taught a girl with this name. She was of Islander heritage and being a Hawaiian name, it really suited her. It's not made up and it's very pretty  original.gif

For the person that commented on Shiloh  - Angelina and Brad don't hold ownership on that one either! There is a Yr 4 student at my school named Shiloh.

#18 ~Acacia~

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

I like it.
But I am very biased, it is very close to my real name. Just substitute the first letter for an 'M'.

Have always had very positive comments on my name and aways get asked if I am Hawaiian!

I believe Lani means heavenly light.

#19 bec4

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

This is the name we have chosen for our DD to be born shortly......I have always loved this name.  We are thinking Kalani Jay. I have also seen it spelt Kalanii.

The farm on McLeods is called 'Killarney'  said the same but spelt different and yes there is a male surfer with the name also.

I also like Shiloh.

Bec

#20 elegie

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

It's a Hawaiian male name - I knew a Hawaiian man called Kalani many years ago.

#21 Chelli

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

I obviously love this name  laughing2.gif  My DD is nearly 5 and her name really suits her. She is Kalani Paige, and we always get comments on how pretty it is. We call her Lani for short.

Be prepared for people to spell it as Killarney though, which drives me nuts. Kalani means Heavenly in Hawaiian, and yes, Kalani Robb is a pro surfer. There is also a place in Hawaii called Kalani. As soon as I heard the name, I knew it was perfect for our DD original.gif

#22 Sassenach

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

The name Kalani (kah-LAH-nee) is both a boys and girls name. There is also Kailani (said kye-LAH-nee) We chose the spelling Keilani (kay-ee-lah-nee) for our second daughter becuase it is a more feminine version, so of course, I'm biased when I say I love the name original.gif

And no, they are NOT made up names. All three are Hawaiian in origin.

We also call Keilani "Lani" for short, just like we call Ariella "Ella" for short original.gif

Kylie

Edited by Sassenach, 24 March 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#23 Ninjago

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I think its a beautiful name.  I've never heard it before but its lovely.  I think the meaning makes it all the more special. original.gif

#24 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

My initial thought was that song "Christmas in Killarney"

#25 idunno

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

I don't usually like unusual names at all (see my boys names? laughing2.gif) but I really like it!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.