rotavirus vaccine side effects?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Spark

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

DD (2 months old) had the oral rotavirus vaccine 5 days ago.  For the past two days she has been irritable during the day and prone to really big crying/screaming fits.  Yesterday for the first time ever she started screaming halfway through her bath and that's something she usually loves.  She has gone from being smiley to screaming at the flick of a switch and the only way to calm her is to hold her over our shoulder and walk for ages.  Yesterday she was awake for 12 hours with only a short catnap in all that time, but whenever I'd put her down she'd scream, or she'd appear to be asleep but 2 minutes later she'd be screaming.

The GP did say fever and irritability were side effects.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did it last? My body is aching from carrying and walking DD all day and I hate that she's upset.

#2 sleepy123

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hi! Just had to register so I could reply to this one original.gif DS (4.5 monhs) has been just the same after his two doses of rotavirus. Was sooooo grumpy for about ten days after vaccines, the first time he also had vomiting, the second one diarhoea. I was very sad as all smiles and giggles disappeared and he was just miserable. Thinking about whether to give him the third dose or not??

#3 harrison~at~last

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

My DD has only had her 2mth one, but she was fine, I gave her Panadol before we went, but nothing was said to us about side effects.  She did sleep all that day, but no difference in other days?

#4 teabags

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

I know of quite a few bubs who have behaved similarly after this vaccine. A bit of a worry when it's so new.  We're not having it.
Elismummy, go with your guts, maybe don't bother with the final dose?

Edited by Saffi, 10 March 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#5 kmfh

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:21 AM

My DD had a terrible time after her first lot of vaccinations. She was fine for a couple of hours after and then the screaming started. We tried some panadol after which she stopped screaming when we where holding her still over our shoulder. We had to hold her shoulder for hours, if we moved her in the slightest bit she would scream as if she was in the most awful pain. We tried having a shower with her which usually settles her straightaway with no luck, she wouldn't feed and I only managed to get her suck a little if I was standing, I think she threw most of it back up again anyway. DH managed to get her down at midnight after he'd held her in the one position for 2 hours. It was the most awful thing to see her in such pain knowing that I'd done something to cause it.

#6 katrina24

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi, my DD did get some very nasty runny poos after her vaccine.  It's hard to see you bub in any pain/distress especially if you think/know that it's because of something  you signed them up for.  That being said, the rotavirus vaccine wasn't around when my toddler was a bub.  She got rotavirus and believe me it was absolutely awful.  I think a bit of discomfort is well worth it to prevent the possible days of extreme illness that can be caused by rotavirus (a friends bub was hospitalised with it).  This is my way of thinking about all vaccinations though and I know others will not agree with me.  OP, I hope your bub is back to their happy self ASAP.

#7 harrison~at~last

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm with you PP, I couldn't imagine NOT having this vaccine given to my DD!  I'd much rather she has a day of discomfort or vomitting than end up in hospital dehydrated, on a drip etc.  Rotavirus is I think THE most common reason for babies being hospitalised.  Other thing in our house too is that I can't afford to get Gastro because I already have a bowel disease.

Sorry, didn't want to turn it into a vaccination/non vaccination issue.

#8 Renoir

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

We had at least three weeks of horror.  Next dose due next week; can't wait. sad.gif

#9 harrison~at~last

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

I wonder why some babies react more to it (or immunisations in general) than others?

Renoir - which dose was the big reaction to?

#10 diamondsandpearls

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

I'm with you PP, I couldn't imagine NOT having this vaccine given to my DD! I'd much rather she has a day of discomfort or vomitting than end up in hospital dehydrated, on a drip etc. Rotavirus is I think THE most common reason for babies being hospitalised. Other thing in our house too is that I can't afford to get Gastro because I already have a bo
wel disease

My DD was hospitalised overseas after catching gastro on a plane over there, the single most scary few days of my entire life watching her so ill. My DS has also had a reaction for a few days my GP says its because it tastes like poison and probably is regurgitated for a few days. But i would never not get the immunisation not after what happened to my DD.

#11 imagine22

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

I agree with PP's the vacine wasnt around when my DD1 was 9 mths and got it so badly she had to go to hospital and experienced over 2 weeks of severe dioreah and vomiting round the clock - its was truly awful and many get much worse than she was too.

DD2 was fine with the vaccine - at worst a bit irriatable for a day.

#12 sleepy123

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Does anyone know how common Rotavirus is in Australia? NZ and the UK don't vaccinate for it so I'm wondering if it is more common here. I'm surprised that there are a couple of people that have replied who've had children with it, I thought it was uncommon! Still thinking about vaccinate/not vaccinate so any info would be appreciated!
Eli was much worse with second dose so quite worried about wht the third might be like!

Edited by elismummy, 12 March 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#13 imagine22

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

my dr said it was the most common cause of gastro in Australia --> and every child i know (prior to vacine introduction - my DD1 is 2.5yrs) has had gastro in its first 18 months at LEAST once (often more).

I would highly recommend vacinating. BTW they can also get febrile convultions from the associated fever. my DD1 got convultions and stopped breathing and went blue before my DH recussitated her. though its uncommon for them to stop breathing after convultions they are not good none the less.

Im sure gastro is much worse than the side effects of the vaccine.

#14 Renoir

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Renoir - which dose was the big reaction to?
The first one.  I had read some things about there being horrid side effects but did not expect what we got!  My DD became truly awful to settle and was very chucky and pooey for so long.  I'm almost glad she spat so much of it out. huh.gif

#15 teabags

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

The Rotavirus vaccine provides some protection, no vaccines provide 100%.  This vaccine doesn't protect against all forms of gastro but provides some protection from the most serious type of gastro - which is not the most common reason for hospitalisation of babies in this country.  In babies under 6 months Bronchiolitis is.
I think it's very healthy to question anything that is being given to our babies and to make informed choices so that whether we give all, some or no vaccines or go the homeophylaxis route, we feel confident about it all.

#16 harrison~at~last

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

I think for those who have had children hospitalised with Gastro, they can be pretty sure that they are making an informed decision.

Just some quotes from another website:

In Australia 20-40% of all admissions of young children to hospital with diarrhoea are due to rotavirus infections.

World wide, rotavirus infections cause an estimated 600,000 deaths per year in developing countries, and a third of children admitted to hospital worldwide for diarrhoea have a rotavirus infection.

Vaccination will reduce the risk of severe rotavirus gastroenteritis by 85 to 100% but children who are vaccinated may still get a mild case of rotavirus gastro.

The rotavirus vaccines have undergone some of the largest and most stringent testing in clinical trials ever seen for any vaccine.

There is a LOT more information on this at this Child and Youth Health Website.

The other thing is, by not getting your child immunised, it's making it more likely that if they get it, they can pass it onto other people; pregnant women, newborn babies etc.

#17 teabags

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

I think for those who have had children hospitalised with Gastro, they can be pretty sure that they are making an informed decision

Kel, I wasn't suggesting that anyone is uninformed, I was simply saying that it's great to be informed and be able to confidently make a choice.
by not getting your child immunised, it's making it more likely that if they get it, they can pass it onto other people; pregnant women, newborn babies
Do you really think anyone would be out and about amongst pregnant women and babies if they or their child had the virus?!

This is miles away from the OP's post, but hopefully we've provided a bit of info from both sides of the fence.

#18 harrison~at~last

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Saff - I wasn't having a go at you sweet.  And yes, you'd be surprised how many people do go out when they know they are sick, and touch babies and stuff!

#19 imagine22

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

just having more cases around increases the number of pregnant women and newborn babies (too young to be vacinated who get it). with many viruses its the early period when its moast contagious when people often dont know they or their child is sick so they are still out and about.

im sure people wouldnt be spreading it intentionally original.gif plus their child would be far too ill to be out and about anyway once it had set in!

#20 Mama-of-two

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

my DD missed out on the rotavirus vax because the  rant.gif  GP forgot to give it to her at her 2 month vax.

Edited by Mama-of-two, 26 November 2008 - 11:09 AM.

#21 harrison~at~last

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

My cousin was telling me today that when she had her first baby (now 8) he didn't have the immunisation and ended up in hospital for 2w with Rotavirus!  Then had all sorts of troubles and needed special drugs to get his system working again!

#22 mellymoos

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Some of you mentioned a third time for this vaccine - i only have it in my schedule twice (2 months and 4 months) when is the third?

Mel

#23 jill72

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

My sister kindly brought over my poor sick niece to my baby shower.  My DD caught it almost over night and it ended up being rotavirus.  She was so terribly sick with full on diarreah (sp?) for over two wks before it looked like settling down. I'd never seen her so sick!!  I was pg with twins and my GP (and me!) was very concerned I'd catch it too which could bring on early labour, I was 22wks at the time.

My two little boys have just had their second lot of rotavirus vaccine and the second time it made them a bit unsettled with a bit of a temp. Nothing panadol couldn't fix. That lasted one day.  Big bl@@dy deal.  I'd rather that anyday than see any kid sick let alone a baby with that terrible virus!!!!!

#24 Tarshy77

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

My son is 8 1/2 months - He had the rotovirus vaccine at 2.4 and 6 months.  He was fine with the 2 month one but 4 and 6 months he had VERY high temps and was irratable.  He had REALLY bad diarohea after the 6 month ones too.

It isn't in my health book as he is one of the older bubs to get it.

#25 staceyleigh

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

My little fella has had his 2 and four month vaccinations which included the rotavirus oral liquid. There are potential side effects, like anything foreign going into their body. Your baby could get a fever, be irratible for up to a week, off their food, diahorrea. Always ask your health care provider for a list of potential side effects with every immunisation your child recieves, as it is there duty of care to inform you of what could potentially happen to your child. Panadol may help if they have a fever. You baby, may have just needed lots of reassurance after abit of a different experience, and needed lots of cuddles and love. My baby was the same, I still carry him around on my shoulders when I think all he wants is a cuddle, and usually I am right! Take care

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.