Other causes of extreme swelling??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 mrswinterbottom

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

I am trying to use Dr Google, but unfortunately it's only bringing up pre-eclampsia as a cause for swelling during pregnancy.

I have a GP who is perplexed by my extreme swelling, which he has stated is abnormal.  

My swelling is not normal, BUT I don't have the other symptoms of pre-eclampsia hence his confusion....

Anyone know what sort of thing to search?

#2 LadyBeetle.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

When you say swelling, What exactly do you mean and how bad?

Hands? Feet? Face?

#3 cremello

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

You can have PET with only one of the symptoms. I got swelling with DD long, long before my blood pressure shot up.
This time- no swelling, BP fine, pulse high. Protein in my urine indicates pre-eclampsia is striking again, teamed with extremely brisk reflexes. High blood pressure isn't necessarily the first sign of PET. Have they checked your urine and reflexes?

#4 mrswinterbottom

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

LadyBeetle.  The swelling is in my feet, ankles (where they used to be) and legs.  My hands are also swelling, but this goes up and down, where my feet/ankles/legs have been bad since Thursday last week and have not gone down - but gotten worse!

Daisy Goat I have naturally low BP too, interesting you should say that.

cremello I had a urine test on Friday which showed only low amts of protein which the doctor said was fine.

I'm concerned because he's told me to come home and rest in bed, but hasn't sort of said what he thinks it might be.  He wants to speak to the hospital tomorrow and said he'll ring me in the morning though, which indicated to me he has something in mind, he's just not sharing what it is....

Edited by alani, 25 February 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#5 LadyBeetle.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Is there pitting with the swelling? If you push lightly on the swollen area, does it leave hollows? If so, how long would the hollows take to level back out?

Did he order any bloods? With my pregnancy that I suffered Preeclampsia, my BP wasn't as high as the average person with PE but for me it was very high. I had protein in urine but every week they did round of bloods to check liver and a few other things. That gave them a better idea on what was happening.

If you are concerned, take a trip up to the birth suites and get checked by the OB. You don't want to mess around, especially if this has been going on for a little while now.

#6 shelly1170

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

I had swelling from about 22 weeks with DD1.  Started out with just one ankle at the end of the day.  By late 20-something weeks I couldn't wear shoes and had to resort to Birkenstocks with the straps let out 3 holes.

Swelling spread up to the top of my thighs... if I knelt I could feel the fluid under my knees squelch!

Couldn't wear my wedding rings from about 36 weeks.

My blood pressure held steady, even getting a bit lower (I'm usually 110/70 and got down to about 100/60).

No protein in my urine and 2 scans at around 34 and 36 weeks showed no problems with baby, placenta or cord.

My obs said that in my case it was just one of those things.  The hot summer we had 06-07 didn't help and neither did sitting at a desk all day until I finished work at 34 weeks.

This time I'm more active, have gained MUCH less weight and so far (24 weeks) no swelling at all.

The technical term I believe is oedema so maybe google that?

#7 Guest_d-o-n-n-a_*

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

for the last 2 or so months of my pregnancy i had severe swelling (i put on 30 kilos throughout my pregnancy) i had pitting in my shins when you poked it, but i had no other symptom of pre ecclampsia... until i was 38 weeks, and had to be medicated and stayed in hospital for 3 nights...

i didnt have any protein, and had normal BP- up until 38 wks when everything seemed to go awry...

i lost 20 kilos in 2 wks after delivery- All of it was fluid i had been lugging around everywhere. blink.gif

have you been chacked out by the hospital? just ring the delivery suite and describe your symptoms original.gif

hope it all works out for you

ETA- my swelling was so bad i couldnt smile or talk properly!

Edited by d-o-n-n-a, 25 February 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#8 mrswinterbottom

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

My feet are feeling a bit better today, so I took a photo for comparision to see, but they actually still look as swollen as they were yesterday.  Maybe I'm just a little more comfortable cause there's not so much heat here today (it's raining thank goodness!)...

LadyBeetle. Yes there is pitting (sorry if you asked before I had no idea what you meant)... I did my feet before just on the tops and it took about 6 seconds for the colour to come back.

shelly1170 I think I'm past the point of this just being "pregnancy" swelling.  I understand that it's common and normal during pregnancy to have swelling, but the doctor actually said to me the degree of swelling I have is abnormal.  

d-o-n-n-a My GP was going to ring the hospital this morning and discuss with them.  He told me if I didn't hear from him, just to attend my OB appt on Thursday there as planned.   No word from my GP though, which means either he hasn't been able to speak to the hospital yet, or the hospital aren't worried about it.

And just so you know I'm not talking regular pregnancy swelling (cause I think people think I'm being a hypochondriac SP?), I will post some photos of my feet.  I can't bend my toes or my ankles.

#9 LadyBeetle.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

OUCH you poor thing. They look so sore.

Can't remember how many weeks along you are?  It's ok. The answer to that was in your sig lol

I really suggest ringing birth suites where you are booked in and speaking with the midwife there. Tell her what is happening, what your doctor has said and done. I think a round of blood tests could be beneficial as there are things they can check there to help rule out preeclampsia. If all that then came back ok. they would more than likely put it down to sever fluid retention I guess.

Please ring and speak to them, if for nothing but peace of mind. In the mean time, increase your intake of water as silly as it sounds, the best thing for fluid retention is water and lots of it. Even if it's not that, the extra can't hurt. Let me know what how you get on, after you ring the hospital original.gif

Edited by LadyBeetle., 26 February 2008 - 12:03 PM.

#10 His Boy Elroy

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Oh my god, I am having flash backs to my poor feet when I was about 20-something weeks with DS1. sad.gif

It is all coming back to me now...........what have I done!!!!! ohmy.gif

#11 mrswinterbottom

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

this is what mine looked like for about two weeks

2 weeks?? WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!  cry1.gif

#12 Guest_shauna'smum_*

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

My feet were exactly like that for the last 6 weeks or so of my last pregnancy ohmy.gif .
Went to all my midwife appointments and BP was fine.
BUT this midwife did not check for protein rant.gif  rant.gif .
Went four days over Due date and EVERYONE was concerned for me, except the midwife wacko.gif.
Waters broke and went in to labour naturally, went to the hospital and the midwife on duty straight away gave me a Urine test ( totally freaked out when she saw the massive pocket of fluid hanging under my belly  sick.gif ).
Panic buttons were pressed when results came in.
Was bombarded with drugs, epi put in, constantly monitered and would have give me a emergency C section except I was already 6 cm dilated.
Lucky DD and I came out of it unscathed.
Boy was I mad at the negligence by the midwife ( and still am).
My lesson ALWAYS get second opinions if others and your gut feeling is telling you something in not right!!!.
Good luck.
I remember towards the end the only shoes I could wear was these ugly slippers because my feet would not fit into anything else laughing2.gif

This pregnancy I am being extra cautious wink.gif

#13 rach70

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hi, this thread is really interesting because I too seem to have abnormally swollen feet, very similar to Daisy Goat and Alani's pics. My GP (who is also my ante natal carer) has shown 'interest' but is not very reassuring. I had a trace of protein in my urine on Saturday, but since my BP hasn't 'gone up much' he thinks I'm just 'prone to fluid retention'. (Can't remember being this bad with my last pregnancy, although it is hotter, and I'm busier).

My question is, since I also normally have very low BP is 110/75 (my last reading) normal or high? I'm not sure what my normal BP is, except that the blood bank often refuses to take my blood because BP is too low.

My feet have been getting progressively worse since about 35 weeks.

Alani, have you heard back from your GP yet?

#14 mrswinterbottom

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

rach70  No I didn't hear from my GP which means that he just wants me to attend Antenatal Clinic at the hospital with the OB tomorrow as planned.

Just out of curiousity, I know my BP is great (from memory my BP ranges between 90/60 - 100/60 at most checkups) but I just had a look at my pregnancy record to see my BP ...

14wks - 110/60
23wks - 110/70
31wks - 121/83 (I went to hospital this night cause I felt sick and was having bad hot flushes, but they said everything was fine)
33wks - 130/70
35wks - 115/75
35+6wks - 110/60

Edited by alani, 27 February 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#15 bec4

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Sorry to butt in - but did anyone have dizziness with the swelling?  My ankles and feet have been swollen since the weekend and today I have just not been feeling well and had to sit down with my head down when I took DS to an appointment today as I felt dizzy like I was going to pass out.  I wasn't sure if this was linked to the swelling or not. blink.gif

I usually have low blood pressure as well and my urine has never been tested for protien by my midwife - EVER.  I have some puffiness in my hands and face (especially around my eyes) as well.

Just wanted to know if Alani or anyone else had this as well.

Bec

#16 mrswinterbottom

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

Bec, I often get the "starry" thing happening when I stand up or sit down which I believe is actually your BP dropping.  I can't say I've had any severe dizziness since I've had the swelling though, sorry.  But it still may be related.

#17 milasmum

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

Just wanted to write my account of PE for those that are concerned. If you are concerned please seek another opinion or further testing.

*I had bad swelling in legs, hands and face
* I had dizziness and also the spots in my eyes on a few occasions (silly me just thought it was a "pregnancy thing")
* my blood pressure remained pretty good and only rose in the very last few weeks and only mildly. Midwife wasnt really concerned until my last appointment when...
*protein in urine was off the scale (I had never been tested previously.

The next thing I knew I was hooked up to all sorts of monitors and was told I wasnt leaving the hospital till I had my baby in my arms! ohmy.gif

I was in shock. I was diagnosed with SEVERE ONSET PRE-ECLAMPSIA. My point is PE can come on very very suddenly and not all the symptoms are  there. You may not have high blood pressure accompanied by spots in eyes or protein. The swelling could be the first sign before things escalate.

I dont want to scare any one. But I have learnt to not take chances and ask all the questions you need and get all the testing you want.

Good luck  original.gif

#18 mrswinterbottom

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

I had my 36wk checkup with the OB at the hospital today.

He's happy with everything.  He didn't seem to be at all concerned with the swelling I'm having, despite the increased headache I've got and the fact I can't even wiggle my toes oomg.gif

shrug.gif what can you do? He's the expert?! wwhistle.gif

He didn't do any urine tests, no blood tests, nothing.  He only checked my BP.

Edited by alani, 28 February 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#19 milasmum

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

I would be  rant.gif personally. As I mentioned in my PP my blood pressure really didnt change. My protein levels were extremely high though. The headaches dont sound good either.

At the antenatal clinic at my public hospital they keep the urine/glucose strips in all the toilets. maybe you go and grab one? unsure.gif

#20 bronzi

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

After the experiences I have had with pe/hellp syndrome I would be going straight back to the hospital & refusing to leave until they have done at the very least a urine test (preferably 24 hr), full blood tests (largely to test kidney & liver functions as platelet levels), a minimum of a CTG to ensure bubs well being but preferably a scan to check the functioning of the placenta and blood flow around baby etc.

As The Lone Ranger said it is your pregnancy and you need to take control of your care not just accept what you are told.

#21 mrswinterbottom

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

If my feet are still bad tomorrow I am going to ring the birthing suite and speak to one of the midwifes there.  

The antenatal clinic I attend (indigenous) I think they tend to rush you through, especially if you don't have anything hugely wrong.  As bad as it sounds, the midwife was surprised when I had to go through the questionairre with her and I was with the same partner as my previous child, was up to date with my pap smears, don't drink or smoke or take drugs etc.   It's sad really.  

In all honesty, I expect that I'm not getting the same sort of concern over me because of all those factors.  I *should* be fine - there are people who go who are still smoking/taking drugs/drinking alcohol who are likely to have things go wrong.

#22 Guest_shauna'smum_*

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

alani please get further testing.
Before I was diagnosed with PE in my first pregnancy I knew very little about it.
After the birth, I lurked in some support groups for PE.
I read about some peoples  tragic experiences. Sadly many people were not as lucky as I and many lost their babies sad.gif .

I really never knew how dangerous it could be!
please contact your hospital and lie if you have to.
Make it out your feeling 10 times worse than what you are.
If it gets the tests you need than its worth it.

#23 nzmum

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

I had massive swelling with my first pregnancy and it did look like the photos in PP. I was unable to wear any shoes in the end and could only fit my DH large thongs. In the hospital the MWs were poking at my legs saying ooooohhh. But basically it was absolutely nothing in my case. My BP and protein levels never changed. So it can be unexplained but not necessarily a bad thing. I didn't have it again with pg#2 and no signs yet in pg#3.

However, I am surprised they didn't get you to "pee on the stick" at the very least. Seems a very easy test for something that can potentially be very serious. I would guess that if you rang the hospital and asked to take in some urine for testing they would be fine with testing it for you. Peace of mind.

#24 mrswinterbottom

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

I would guess that if you rang the hospital and asked to take in some urine for testing they would be fine with testing it for you. Peace of mind.

Actually I rang the hospital last night and was told there was nothing they could do in there. I explained that no-one had tested my urine since Friday last week, and that the OB I saw Thursday seemed quite blaze about the whole thing.  

The midwife spoke to the person in charge who said "nothing we can do but call back if your waters break or you start having regular contractions"  

I actually had my right leg so swollen last night it was throbbing, and it was twice the size of my left foot.    After having it severely elevated last night (like 1 foot higher than the rest of me, so I didn't get much sleep) my feet have gone down again but only marginally.  

I'm so over it sad.gif

#25 Cinzia

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

I agree totally with Daisy Goat - do this.  It is too late after the fact.

I was very similar to the other ladies here where my blood pressure is normally on teh low side.  I started swelling and had protien in my urine.  Whilst my BP was not high, it was high for me.

My OB did bloods, 24 hr urine test, and I was put on twice weekly visits.   Thankfully all was fine in my instance.

Hte fact is, you know your body and it is telling you something is not right.

Get to that hospital and do not leave.  Get the tests done.

We can spur you on from here, but you really need to start making a scene now - just so they will do it to get rid of you  wink.gif

Good luck and please keep us posted..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.