How to cover school books without getting bubbles

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 MsDemeanor

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

Argghh is contact getting crappier these days or what?

DD has 15 books to cover and DS has 8. God help me. I am such a perfectionist and can't stand the bubbles and lines. Any tried and true methods?

#2 ~dam'sgirl~

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

You just have to go slow and push out all the bubbles. original.gif

#3 MsDemeanor

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

There must be a secret! I do go slow, I use a ruler, DD holds the book and I go slowly, but half the time the contact stuff is just dodgy and gets lines in it.

Please tell me there is a secret.

#4 Jeneral

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

Yes, there is a secret... it is called a plastic book slip!

Doesn't help with bigger books..

When I was a kid Mum used to let us buy wrapping paper and brown paper to wrap our books in.  Only the text books got contact.

#5 *BluePinkie*

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

If you do get bubbles use a pin and sort of pop the air out and then flatten it.

Hope that makes sense.

Leeanne xxx

#6 ☆kermit☆

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Ok I worked in a library and used to cover millions of books.  First cut the contact just a bit bigger than the size of the laid out open book leaving about 3/4 inch all the way around.  Fold contact in half then peel back one half of the contact and place spine of book along this folded line in the middle. Turn book over and get a credit card or similar card and push the airbubbles towards each side, then trim the corners and fold over.  Peel off otherside of the contact and do the same.  If you still have a slight bubble get a pin and prick it lets out the air.  Good luck.

#7 RubyInNewYork

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

We would use a ruler and slowly slide the plastic down pressing firmly with the ruler, to help it go down smooth and press out any bubbles.

#8 mmk

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Cut the contact 2cm or so bigger than the book.  Peel back 1/2 of the contact & put the middle of the spine in the middle of the contact.  Put the book with the side you're going to stick first facing up but holding the contact up in the air so it's not touching the book.  Smooth it out along the spine, starting from the middle of the book to the top/bottom.  When that's done, have the book how you would if you were reading it.  Hold the contact in the air with your right hand, & slowly start from the spine & work your way up & down the book until you get to the edge pushing the contact down.  You shouldn't get any bubbles.  Turn over & do the same thing to the back of the book.  Open the book up & diagonally cut the corners of the contact & also near the spine & along the spine.  Fold the edges starting from the middle out.  All done!  It's not that hard if you do it bit by bit & start from the middle out & then from the middle to the other out.  Maybe get someone to hold the contact in the air for you while you're pushing it down if it's too hard to do with 2 hands.  Good luck!

#9 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

I use the ruler method!  I usually start inside one cover and fold the backing paper back as I edge along with a ruler, but the librarian method of starting at the spine sounds good.  I think I will try that next time!

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Go to a proper stationery store and buy 'library grade' contact.  It's that little bit thicker than ordinary supermarket contact and is so easy to use.

Also make sure that when smoothing over with the ruler, that you are not pulling the contact too tightly (to remove backing paper) that it stretches and then won't stick smoothly.

#11 ~**SYMONE**~

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

I feel your pain...I hate covering books. But I have found some brands of contact are worse than others.

#12 Quack Quack

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

no no no ...biggrin.gif you have it all wrong!!!

you need a kitchen bench & a water spray bottle.
spray the cupboard with a mist of water where you plan to work, then cut your contact to size, then spray the shiny side of contact with water.

pull off the back paper with the wet shiney side & the wet laminex together.

you will find the wetness stops all the static and it is as easy as covering books with a sheet of paper.

my 4 kids had 8 books each.... i got them all covered in about 2 hours, no swearing and throwing of books, and more importantly.... NO WRINKLES OR BUBBLES!!!

it is seriously amazing biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D

#13 tweekle

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

After many many hissy fits, screwed up balls of contact and a little (lot) of swearing I now cover with paper (coloured or brown paper then add stickers) and then cover again witn a clear plastic, looks really spiffy!

#14 jckalilvi

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

ok well i used to be the "queen"  tongue.gif of covering books when i was at school ... many moons ago!!  

there were two different types of clear contact back then, a cheap and nasty version and a slightly more expensive one, the dearer one is thicker and goes on like a treat!!

1. cut the contact about 1.5cm wider than the book is, before you peel the backing off, fold the contact in half to create a crease that goes down the spine of the book.

2. peel back contact on one side until you reach the crease mark, stand books spine along the crease and roll it down on to the sticky contact, if you are using the dearer contact you should have no bubbles, if you are using cheap and nasty version you may get bubbles.

3. cut corners off contact, snip the contact at the spine on both sides, fold edges of contact onto book.

4. stand book on its spine and pull the backing of the contact on the reverse side and same as before roll front of book onto contact. cut corners off and fold contact edges onto book.

#15 writestuff

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what's with covering books in contact? This was not something my mother ever did! Won't they survive if you don't?

#16 ~flaxen~

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

After many many hissy fits, screwed up balls of contact and a little (lot) of swearing I now cover with paper (coloured or brown paper then add stickers) and then cover again witn a clear plastic, looks really spiffy!

My mum did this for all our books in primary school. She used patterned wrapping paper and then the clear plastic over the top. We had the best looking books in the district, and when the other kid's contact was cracking around the edges at the end of the term ours still looked as good as the day she did it. In fact she's kept some of our old workbooks and they still look great today. She later went back to uni and studied to become a librarian...so all that book-covering practice came in handy original.gif

Edited by mummy~mel, 08 February 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#17 mumto3princesses

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Yep, I do it like stayathomemum and never have a problem at all. Rarely even get one bubble.

#18 ~♥~Mia~♥~

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

5*little*ducks may I kiss you????

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  

For the first time ever, I have contacted books without bubbles and without me swearing. It was easy as pie and done in half the time. I did not even use a ruler.

#19 ~A2~

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

I just covered 25 books  ohmy.gif  wacko.gif  with the method used by just about everyone here although I use a tissue (soft cloth) to smooth.

Might try the wet kitchen bench next time.

Ali

#20 Blish

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Go to a proper stationery store and buy 'library grade' contact. It's that little bit thicker than ordinary supermarket contact and is so easy to use.

I agree with this.

My local newsagent sells contact-type stuff, but it's quite thick and it's much nicer than contact. Sorry I can't be more helpful with a name or brand, but you can ask your newsagent if they sell this stuff.

#21 summermum

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, go out and buy the expensive stuff.  Definitely worth the money.  I had terrible luck with the cheap stuff but the 'thick' contact covered flawlessly every time.

#22 Quack Quack

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

blush.gif yes ~♥~Mia~♥~ you may kiss me LMAO happy to be of service

#23 Sally ®

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

Wow, thanks for posting this topic.  We have a few books to cover this weekend.  DP always cracks it with the contact!  rolleyes.gif

#24 nyrrek

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes, there is a secret... it is called a plastic book slip!

Doesn't help with bigger books..

We use the disposable book covers by 'Marbig' available at Officeworks. They come in exercise and A4 size (that is big enough for many work/textbooks too). You just slip them on, peel the strip and stick...too easy. I do contact project books etc and use the library grade contact.

#25 Daisy Chain

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (goomie @ 04/11/2012, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello there, I've come across your post after much frustration with this process myself and since discovering 'contastick' I've never had this problem again.

I know this post is a few years old, but if you still have kids in school, you might have to witness good friends and family suffer the same as we did, don't, tell them to go and see how easy it is on youtube....it's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! biggrin.gif

Sorry Goomie, you had me until the postage. I will keep going with my ruler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.