No immunity to Rubella... should I be worried

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Kat*~

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

My doctor's receptionist rang me last night and told me I have no immunity for rubella.

She wasn't very informative..and said to keep away from people with rashes.

I am a service assistant..so I am constantly around people I dont know are healthy or not.

Should I be worried??

Should I take time off work.. until I am pasted the 12 week mark.. I am 10 weeks today.

Thanks

A little worried.

Kathreen

Edited by ~Kathreen~, 20 November 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#2 harrison~at~last

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

I think German Measles can affect you at any time in pg?  I might be wrong!  I have no idea what you can do, the FS made sure I was immune before letting me do IVF, so they considered it pretty important!

#3 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

I would talk to the dr, that doesn't sound like great advice. Stay away from people with rashes? That's really easy hey?

You can be affected at any time during your pregnancy not just the first trimester.

Just out of curiosity did you have the needles when you were younger?

#4 ~*Kat*~

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

hi rebecca.. yes I had the needles when I was in high school.

I talked to one of my bestfriends lastnight and she said that she was still immune for it..and she is nearly a year older than me... strange.

I know it can effect you at anytime.. I cant afford to go on maternity leave already.

I read somewhere lastnight that if you get it under 12 weeks.. it can cause birth defects, m/c etc.. after 12 weeks.. still born and a few other horrible things.

#5 anotherid

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Honestly there isn't a great deal you can do.

I have no immunity to rubella either. In fact I had a booster three months before conceiving DD and I still had no immunity when I was pregnant with her.

For some reason, some people's immune system just don't hold on to it IYKWIM?

#6 jen-mac

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hi ~Kathreen~

I'm sorry that you have this added worry.  A friend's mother had rubella when she was pg with her & she was born deaf - very smart girl though.

From my readings I understand that you can not be vaccinated now but there is an alternative.  There is a homeopathic rubella Nosode that is safe to take during pg.  If you would like to look into this you could contact a naturopath/homeopath or (details removed) - Please contact for recommendation.

May I also suggest putting your question to the ladies in the Natural Therapy section under non-vaccinated discussions.  They may have some more info for you.

Best of luck.

Edited by Nut, 29 July 2013 - 08:25 AM.
Recommendations for medical practitioners are not permitted on the public forum.

#7 2FairyGirls

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Hi

Ring you OB to find out exactly what level you are.  I was told I had "no immunity"  but found my level to be 39 which in reality means "you are immune now  but it is wearing off and  we will give you a booster shot when you give birth to protect you in the event of further children"

Also if you play Dr Google you will find that the worry about rubella and pregnancy is up until the 17th/18th week.  After that there has been no cases of birth defects due to rubella infection.  

Soooo...check with your OB/Midvives/GP and get the facts in your case.

#8 EveDallas

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

When I had my bloods done for both DS! and DS2 it showed I had very low immunity for rubella.  I was just advised that I would need a booster once bub born.  

I just don't seem to hold the immunity as I needed it with 2nd pregnancy too.  Midwives weren't too concerned, not much you can really do about it now hey?

#9 babybrain

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

Oh no, that's a worry you could do without. The only thing I'd like to add is that Rubella is quite rare these days.

I would be annoyed with your doctor too to tell you to stay away from people with rashes. mad.gif Could you fulfill a different role until you've reached the 17/18th week?

#10 bondgirl

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

I am another one with little immunity to rubella.  I just had the booster a couple of months before I started ttc, it hasn't helped in raising my immunity though unfortunately.  I worked as a flight attendant when I was pregnant with my little boy and constantly worried whenever I saw any kids with rashes.  If anyone does contract rubella/german measles these days it is considered public health issue and they then swing into action.  They try to trace anyone that the infected person might have been in contact with during the contagious period.  Not that this is terribly reassuring for those of us with low immunity...  Hope that all makes sense!  Emma

#11 katyjane

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Not that this will help the OP at all, but may help some other readers:

Immunity to rubella vaccination we got at school wears off; if you ever had the live virus you are much more "immune". If the vaccination doesn't work for you there is a different kind. I know this because a friend of mine had two vaccinations that didn't work and then was sent to another dr who gave her a different kind of vacc and it worked.

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

I too have no immunity to rubella. I found out when pg with DS1, so went through that pregnancy with no immunity. Had a booster after he was born, had it checked when I was planning to TTC #2, still not immune. Another booster - I made it 'over the line' to a level of 34. But by the time I was pregnant with DS3 I was not immune again. Some people do not hold immunity to rubella well, it's just one of those things.  They consider over 30 to be immune, under 30 not immune. My level with DS3 was 4!

Should you be worried - IMO, no. You should be cautious, yes, but worried no. I figured that I have probably walked around for the majority of my adult life not immune to rubella and have never caught it. Also, my GP told me that he honeslty can't remember the last time he saw a case of rubella - it's not terribly common these days due to high vaccination rates.

Try not to worry. Best of luck with your pregnancy.

#13 Etcetera

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

DS has just had rubella so this has been a real issue for us lately. Fortunately my immunity is good:)

They say immunity lasts about 16 years, but it is different for everyone. I last had the shot in primary school i tihnk.

Make sure everyone around you knows that you are pregnant. Make sure everyone knows that you aren't immune and make sure they know how serious  it is that they alert you to any cases.
When DS got it I emailed my mothers group and it turns out he had been the 4th child to get it! 3 of us are pregnant and the first case was when I wouldve only been about amonth pregnant. Im extremely annoyed to say the least.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the immunity (my MIL was more worried abotu DH catching it than me!). Please make sure everyone is fully aware of what it could mean to you. There is no safe time to catch rubella in pregnanyc, but it isnt as dangerous after 20 weeks.

I dont want to scare you unnecessarily, we've just had this issue though and Im astounded by how lightly some have taken it.

Hope you dont come into contact with it. Stay healthy original.gif

ETA: DS had his shots and he still came down with rubella, albeit a lesser case than he mightve had had he not been vaccinated. All but one child at mothers group had the shots as well.

Edited by Almond*Eyes, 20 November 2007 - 12:46 PM.

#14 h-and-s

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

I have no rubella immunity (didn't when pg with DS either). I have now had the immunisation/booster 4 (maybe 5) times.

It is not the ideal situation to be in, but as others have said not everyone holds the immunity.

Go and speak to your doctor, he will be able to give you better information.

#15 adelaidegoddess

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

Kathreen, I also have no immunity to rubella. I've had boosters and they don't help.

You are not alone in your fears. I am going through the same. I agree with many of the posts. Let people around you know you have no immunity to rubella. That's really all you can do.

There are not many cases around so we should be ok.

#16 katesawyer

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I know this is a really old post!  But, I am also non immune to rubella...had the two shots when I was younger.  I've read an article that if a mom is non-immune to rubella her kids are more likely to be autistic if they get the shot again post childbirth or not.  I know this seems silly, but I was wondering any advice on whether I should get the shot after giving birth.  Thank you ladies!

#17 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Kate, I really wouldn't put any trust in anything saying there's a rubella and autism connection unless it was in a medical journal. Just get the vaccination after birth- I will be doing so.

#18 Krisingka

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hi, when I first saw my doctor she said I had low immunity and wanted to give me a booster. I didn't as I had heard that it may not make any difference and didn't want to wait 3 months to TTC after.

When I was 5 weeks pregnant I saw a different doctor at the same clinic as she was on holidays and he redid a test for rubella. When she came back she checked my result and said my immunity was fine and wouldn't need a booster after I had my baby. And she also said she personally hadn't seen a case in over 10years so is becoming quite rare in Australia

I did still take small precautions, I don,t think rubella is an 'airborne' disease as such, but carried in droplets on saliva/snot so if you can maybe get a little bottle of hand sanitizer to keep with you so if someone cough or sneezes on something and touches something like money, just quickly clean your hands, especially if you bite your nails! And washing your hands before you eat, and take your own cutlery in the lunch room - unless it has a dishwasher as my mum picked up shingles from some ladies at a retirement village at a lunch we had there, as they only hand wash and more often than not the water is only Luke warm, so not enough to kill germs.

good luck.. :)

#19 mrs_bubbles

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

I have low immunity also. A blood test in my first pregnancy showed my levels had dropped so I received a booster a few days after I gave birth to DS. That was only 20 months ago, I've just had more bloods during this pregnancy and it shows my levels have dropped again. He said I can have another booster but may be in the low percentage of people who will just never be immune. My OBGYN said it's not a big deal just to be a little more cautious around people as I work in an emergency department.

#20 niggles

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

I worked in a school with no immunity through my first pregnancy. I sent anyone itching to the school nurse to be checked out but other than that I just tried not to think about it.

I developed a nasty rash my second pregnancy (still no immunity) and they tested me just in case to see if I'd been exposed. If I recall correctly I think the GP was considering giving me immunoglobulin if I had but it was just PUPPPS.

In short, take normal precautions, don't think about it too much and see a doctor without too much delay if you think you may have been exposed was my approach.

#21 sne

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

I had the needles as a child.  When I had my first child in 1998 I was immune.  I was pregnant with my second in 2009.  Tests showed that I had low immunity.  I worked in a pharmacy so was in contact with sick people every day.  A lady with a small boy came in.  In the process of serving her she said they'd just come from the doctors where the child was diagnosed with german measles.  At this point I politely excused myself from serving her.  One of my workmates took over and I went to serve customers down at the other end of the store.  I didn't get sick from that exposure.  I don't know much about it but I would assume that there probably has to be a transfer of bodily fluids like a sneeze or unwashed hands to infect someone?  I remember it being really scary knowing i'd been exposed though.

#22 purplekitty

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostKrisingka, on 30 July 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

And she also said she personally hadn't seen a case in over 10years so is becoming quite rare in Australia

I did still take small precautions, I don,t think rubella is an 'airborne' disease as such, but carried in droplets on saliva/snot

While it is rare in Aus there have been outbreaks overseas this year following on from the MMR scares years ago.
(They are only a plane trip away and most of VPD outbreaks start with someone returning from OS)
What the concern is that where there have been measles outbreaks,rubella might follow because of this being part of the same vaccination.

Rubella is airborne.
http://www.cdc.gov/v...ok/rubella.html

http://theconversati...nd-poland-15970

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.