Health food people spoiling MY childs diet!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic

#51 kacey5

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Seriously I can't see the problem. I pack three lunches everyday, they are healthy, well balanced meals.
They always contain wholegrain bread, fruit, cheese or yohgurt, some vegie sticks, rice crackers or a treat like a caramel crown biscuit (which is one of the few treat biscuits not jam packed with nasty chemicals). I have three very big strapping lads that eat me out of house and home, and this is sufficient for them. They eat a large breakfast, play lots of sport during the day & they need little more than this & a snack after school untill dinner. They are not fussy eaters  because I don't allow them to be.
As for canteen lunches everyday that is not on here either. It is easy to pack wholesome lunches for the winter months.
My kids have canteen once a week, and know its a treat rather than the norm.
As for cool, I don't care a toss about cool, my kids are cool by just being confident in themselves (they are more interested in wolfing it down to get to the footy oval or the cricket pitch as are all their friends). I would be gutted if they lost their confidence in themselves because some annoying child said their lunch sucked!!! They are going to need thicker skin than that to get on in the real world.

#52 jojonbeanie

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

(Anyone of you who think its "sooo easy" want a job $20 a week to prepare and deliver enough healthy nutritious and varied food to satisfy a 3.5yr old and a 1yr old to a CC in Brisbanes inner-west on Thu & Fri every week?
So its only actually 2 days per week that you have to be responsible for feeding your own children?  I can see how tough that would be. All that preparation and the onerous task of having to feed then again at night, and the pesky containers to deal with! I can see why you need assistance - this is a lot for you to cope with.  rolleyes.gif

And for what its worth my 13 year old DS has always taken his lunch to school - he tells me its actually uncool to use the canteen! And he would much prefer the healthy home made food DH and I send him with - he even likes the containers.

M

#53 fuzzypeach

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

I am amazed at how many people think that packing their own child's lunch is such a drama.

If you have enough time to post a thread such as this on a forum, then you have enough time to make a couple of sandwiches. Honestly, I think that the CC providing meals was a luxury and not a right.

As for 'the masses have to suffer because of the minority' type of comment, my goodness! It is FOOD. One meal a day at that. Heaven forbid you having to cater for your OWN child.

huh.gif

#54 --descentia--

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone else find it amusing the types of threads that go bad in EB?

I am sitting here giggling about the sheer volume of indignation expressed in some of these posts about school lunches of all things Tounge1.gif

I am doing something tricky on eBay and keep getting errors so this is providing light relief.

#55 ampersand

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

You know with healthy school canteens a requirement in most states these days, buying lunch isn't really a 'treat' anymore. If you have a decent canteen, it will cost you more, but won't impact on your kids diet if you select well.

#56 Chelbean

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

Totally OT but..

Annabanana - how do you get ur sandwiches to not go soggy?! Not that im at the stage of preparing lunch for school yet but i make DP a sandwich most mornings and its always soggy by lunchtime he says! Of course hes a pig so he still eats it...but any suggestions would be lovely  smile1.gif

#57 Copacetic

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

Dad Again, you are coming across as very lazy to me.  Its not that hard to pack a decent lunch.  Our old daycare provided lunch and this one doesn't, and to be honest, I prefer knowing what they are eating, and that it has been prepared to our standard.

If its too rushed in the morning, do it the night before.  Really, really easy.

#58 ampersand

Chelbean, I can't answer for Annabanana, but for me, the big trick is to put lettuce on each piece of bread, then layer the fillings between the lettuce. It stops most fillings from making the bread soggy. For one of my kids - the picky one - I put the sliced up tomato in the box separately and he adds it himself at lunch time.

#59 DadAgain

If you have enough time to post a thread such as this on a forum....

Ok good suggestion - so perhaps I can make DD's lunch whilst sat at my desk waiting for code to compile or deploy, and then I can have it sent to the CC centre via courier wacko.gif

Of course we will deal with it, we will manage, we'll buy bigger school bags and more plastic tubs, we'll find ways of coming up with a lunch system to complement the myriad of foods already supplied for snacks each day - but I'm still disappointed that the... (takes a minute to select a phrase) Intollerant, controlling, dictator like attitudes with regards to diet in our CC centre should force me to do this.

oh and for the record "diertary isses", "disease" ... surely thats just a semantics argument?

#60 kacey5

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Fuzzypeach & Jojonbeanie.
Brilliant.  wink.gif

#61 Guest_toppy_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

I'm surprised they have done this as well.  The centres I've been to, parents whose chn couldn't eat certain foods bought in their own child's meal.  Advantage of that is it's only a couple of meals for the centre to re-heat.

Now the CC workers will have to be even more observant as they have no idea what may be in a child's lunch box, will have to open all the boxes and I agree with DA, meals will become less healthy.  

Typical daycare meals when I worked normally included rice, potato or pasta, mince and vegies.  Reasonably balanced comparedto what many parents will start sending (check school lunch boxes).

#62 Copacetic

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

oh and for the record "diertary isses", "disease" ... surely thats just a semantics argument?

Sure it is.  Until someone's child dies because YOURS can have peanuts.

#63 Bissett

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

I can see where you are coming from DadAgain.
Ive recently befriended a couple that have just migrated over from England.

She was honestly perplexed at her DS having a s/wich with fruit etc for lunch. To her thats an afternoon snack. Yes her DS had hot lunches (or dinners as she calls them) provided by the school everyday.

Shes slowly getting used to it though as Im sure you will too!

#64 Canberra Chick

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Typical daycare meals when I worked normally included rice, potato or pasta, mince and vegies. Reasonably balanced comparedto what many parents will start sending (check school lunch boxes).

Our centre is quite strict about what can be sent in. Though I am stunned at the number of 2 to 3 year-olds in DS's section that get sent in with baby food in jars...   blink.gif

#65 aunty-moo

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

I haven't read all the replies just the OP.

I find it really difficult to understand why parents find it so hard to pack their own children's lunchboxes?  And why so many of them pack them with complete crap.

It is not hard!
No daycare my kids have ever been too have supplied lunches.

I pack two lunchboxes everyday (go buy yourself a Tupperware sandwich plus keeper and then you won't have a whole stack of little containers)

Here are some ideas on what to put in:

Fruit - watermelon, banana, apple, mandarin, whatever!

A Sandwich - ham & cheese, vegemite, egg, chicken, cream cheese, plain cheese, salad etc etc
Use different types of bread for variety
Salad wraps are also great

Cheese and biscuits - I just dice some cheese up and put with rice crackers

Pikelets, muffins or fruit bread -  I make up batches of pikelets and mini muffins and have them ready to go in the freezer, let me know if you want recipes.

Popcorn - my kids love it!

Sultanas or dried fruit - just buy the boxes of the stuff and put a handful in, works out cheaper this way.

yogurt or custard

A whole boiled egg -  this is the best thing ever,  all you have to do is boil it for a few minutes, peel and put in box, and it's so healthy.

And a water bottle.

Anyway I hope I have helped.  I think its great making my own kids lunch, that way you know what they are eating!

#66 Melimuru

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

This is hilarious.

People actually caring that other peoples children buy their lunch at the canteen.

Surely there is something on TV.

#67 Dani

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

oh and for the record "diertary (sic) isses (sic)", "disease" ... surely thats just a semantics argument?

Semantics?  OMG - are you on drugs?  Think that old quote along the lines of "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" rings very true on this occassion so I'll bail right about here I think.  Cannot believe you put the VERY serious issue of allergies/intollerances & diseases down to freaking "semantics".  huh.gif

Still waiting for my apology though in between your wait for your code to compile or deploy FWIW.  yyawn.gif

Dani

Edited by Dani, 12 June 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#68 DadAgain

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Still waiting for my apology though

Sorry your offended.
Sorry you thought I was attacking you personally
Sorry you thought my use of the term 'nazi' in its commonly used sense of a 'narrowminded, controling, dictator within the given social context' was inappropriate  - of course I'm not suggesting over-defensive parenting is akin to politcally motivated genocide.. any more than Seinfield was implying that the over-officious Soup chef was, or that Grey Anatomy script writers believe a strict Medical Registrar is.. etc etc

..and once again - I'm sorry your child has dietary issues cause by a disease... (I'll happily take up the semantics debate in anoter thread if you want to - but its off-topic)

Enough?  wacko.gif

Edited by DadAgain, 12 June 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#69 frazzled

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Nicole, I`m amazed at the bagging you`re getting for 'allowing' your teenagers to buy canteen food. You have stated the canteen only serves healthy food so why are so many people getting their knickers in a knot over such a trivial issue? Smacks to me of a teensy bit of jealousy that you can actually afford for your children to be able to do this.......

#70 PurpleWitch

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Who cares if someone's kids buy their lunch everyday?

Oh I dont. It's the "cool" aspect I find funny.

My sandwhichs never go soggy. Air tight container!
My 12yr old especially loves Lebanese wraps. Marinated chicken, lettuce, tomato and a bit of cheese. Delish!

#71 ~Susan~

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

I can honestly say I would be a little peeved if my creche suddenly asked me to provide all meals and snacks.

I chose it for a few reasons, once small reason was they provide healthy and nurtitious snacks and meals throughout the day. We also pay a bit more than the other creches in our area at this one and I like the convenience factor of it.

its not that I am too lazy, I have to make my other 2 dds lunches each day as they are at school (on the days they dont get lunch orders) so it wouldnt be too much fuss, but still I like the convenience of not having to worry about one more child. I like that he has a cooked lunch at creche, he sometimes has cooked lunches at home with me too, I like that he gets to experience a variety of foods that are different to what I cook (and i do cook a lot, I LOVE cooking)

#72 Dani

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

V. happy with that thanks DA.   Can you please save the semantics 'debate' though, that's just a tad out of order - especially coming from a non-allergy parent.  Either that or if you feel the pressing need to upset even more people on EB go and launch your 'debate' in the "Allergies" forum where MANY Mums there take the topic a whole lot more seriously than other parents that may simply frequent the WDYT forum.

It's at http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index.php?showforum=152 if you were feeling particularly brave.  dev (6).gif

#73 Nicole

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

Mellie5, I have 4 children, 3 are school age. It costs me about $25.00 per day.

#74 15 Year Gap

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

I can honestly say I really can't see my kids sitting in the playground, taking out their little containers of individually packed salad items, and laying them ever so neatly on some bread and proceeding to eat them, hillarious  Oh you have a lot to learn about teenagers

Sorry, I had to have a chuckle at this too!  ph34r.gif  

A limited amount of time is provided for lunch at DD1's highschool (too limited IMO) ... and I guarantee it would be a rare teen who'd bother taking the time to 'prepare' their own sandwiches as described by a PP.  

Nine times out of ten, it'll go in the bin and they'll scab half of somebody else's lunch. (Saying this from experience as DD1 often comes home complaining that she only got half her chicken and cheese sandwich cos a good friend found her lunchbox full of 'rabbit food' and ditched it.  blush.gif )

#75 kacey5

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

On the canteen thing, its got nothing to do with being able to "afford" it. Everyone can afford it if thats what they chose to spend their money on.
It was the "COOL" thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.