Health food people spoiling MY childs diet!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic

#1 DadAgain

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

Ok - I'm p*ssed off.. this probably belongs in 'venting', but I'm interested to see what you all think:

Our daycare centre currently provides lunches. They dont provide mornign or afternoon tea - so we have the pain-in-the-butt task of filling lunchboxes with suitable snacks and then filling the dishwasher with a gazillioni little plastic tubs at the end of the day!...

Anyway - recently they wrote to us saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "Due to a number of complaints that our lunches are not wholy organic, may contain too much gluten, lactose or other commonly found ingredients we have decided to cease the provision of lunches".

Lunches used to be a varied rotation of balanced meals, pastas, vegetable bakes, fruits etc etc... Now things will go downhill:
1) The rush to prepare the school bag will get WAAY worse
2) The quality ofthe food provided will be WAAAY worse
3) The amount of staff time dedicated to food prep instead of childcare will surely go UP as opening 30 lunchboxes and retrieving and serving the wide variety of lunches will surely be harder work than delving out the same dish to 30 kids?!

Is it right that these vocal food-people should be able to spoil it for everyone else?  rant.gif

(I have absolute sympathy for the CC director who has had to endure their complaints - so can completely understand her position!)

#2 LunaBlue

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

This also happened at my DD kindy aswell. So I began sending her with lunch./ Last week another note came home saying we were not allowed to send Chocolate yogurt, some biscuits, and various other things as well and I was furious. It is a struggle to pack her something she will actually eat that is on thier list of what she can and can't take.

#3 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like a few parents have gone a bit OTT.

So if you are packing the lunches yourself now, why will the quality go down? Can't you pack healthy stuff? Sorry I'm a bit confused by that comment.

Try packing the lunches the night before, it is so much quicker and easier than trying to do it on the day.

#4 DadAgain

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

So if you are packing the lunches yourself now,...

No - now we pack morning and afternoon tea - lunch is provided.
in future we will have to provide lunch too.

IMHO - a hastily packed cold lunch can never meet the same standard as a wholesome cooked meal.

Let mumagain stay at home and have more babies

Haa!! very funny!!.. but I dont think I could manage the guilt of removing another skilled midwife from the already small workforce struggling to look after the wonderful pregnant women of Brisbane  tongue.gif

Edited by DadAgain, 12 June 2007 - 11:46 AM.

#5 KimminyCricket

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

It's not hard to pack a sandwich, some fruit and rice crackers.  They're kids for gooness sake - they don't need a three course meal for lunch  rolleyes.gif

It should only take you a couple of minutes a day to spread some vegemite on some bread......

#6 DadAgain

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

It's not hard to pack a sandwich, some fruit and rice crackers. They're kids for gooness sake - they don't need a three course meal for lunch

yeah - you've never met my daughters have you? wacko.gif  huh.gif They have voracious appetites and can be very demanding when it comes to the quantity of food they require!

Edited by DadAgain, 12 June 2007 - 11:48 AM.

#7 everycloud

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

Pack lunches the night before, so much easier.

Stop and think why some parents might not want lactose/gluten etc in their childs lunches, it may not be a health kick thing but an intolerance/allergy thing.

Once children attend school you have to pack lunch every day anyway.

If your child was at home and not at daycare you'd be making lunch anyway.

What's the big deal?

#8 LunaBlue

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

It should only take you a couple of minutes a day to spread some vegemite on some bread......

well that depnds on how many lunches you are making doesn't it.

I make three and they are all different. I am sure DH would not survive on what I pack for the kids, and both kids have different lunches due to dietry needs. I do make mine at night because I simply would not have time in the mornings to do them. However this is not practical for all people either.

edited to add

Stop and think why some parents might not want lactose/gluten etc in their childs lunches, it may not be a health kick thing but an intolerance/allergy thing

if thats the case, then why does the rest of the kids haveto conform as well, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier for those parents to pack special lunches for the kids?

Edited by ~PUSS~, 12 June 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#9 DadAgain

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Once children attend school you have to pack lunch every day anyway.

Dont schools have a kitchen/canteen/cafe? any more??
I had hot food for lunch at school every day until about yr8

What's the big deal?

So many plastic tubs, so little time... and so little space left in the school bag! Pretty soon DD#1 is gonna need a 65lt rucksack just to carry food and a spare set of clothes to CC!

Edited by DadAgain, 12 June 2007 - 11:53 AM.

#10 KimminyCricket

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Their tiny bellies are so small - they don't need a huge amount of food to sustain them.

Send them with a vegemite/jam/cheese sandwich, two pieces of fruit, some plain rice crackers and a packet of sultanas or tub of yoghurt.  That is more than enough.

Children today are give WAY too much - it sets them up for eating problems down the track.
I had hot food for lunch at school every day until about yr8

You're not in the UK now DadAgain  rolleyes.gif

Edited by *Boosmum*, 12 June 2007 - 11:53 AM.

#11 Nicole

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

I love the fact that I only have to send a piece of fruit to pre school with DD. If I had to make her lunch and was given a list of what she can and cant take, I would tell them to stick it.

What I find interesting in this though, is how they are going to control the food intake of kids with allergies. All kids share their food, especially at this age, and it will be a might big task for the teachers to be making sure there are no food exchanges happening.

I know at DD's pre school, there are a few kids with different allergies, nuts, eggs etc. All food is prepared accordingly, ie, they don't use anything that any child may be allergic to in any meals. They go sa far as to not allow parents to bring in a cake for their child's birthday, we pay $3.00 to the school and they bake and decorate a  cake especially. (I love this idea)

Dadagain, I wonder how much thought they have given to the allergy issues?

#12 writestuff

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

I'm with you - that sounds bloody annoying.

I suspect the creche is just trying to get out of running a kitchen rather than trying to meet the needs of organic parents.

I don't see why they can't make an organic, vegan meal all the children can eat anyway. It will be sure to be healthier than what parents provide.

#13 Nicole

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

TheCrone, I don't know where your kids go to school, but at my bigger kids canteens, they can and do buy hot food everyday. It is available, before school, they do breakfast both hot and cold, recess and lunch. All food is healthy, as in low fat etc. My kids would never cope if they couldn't get a hot lunch during winter  biggrin.gif

#14 Canberra Chick

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

DadAgain, DS's centre has always had the parents send the lunches in - there are no proper kitchens (just microwaves and fridges in each room).

As DH and I took in packed lunches anyway, adding in one other lunch was not a big drama.

DS usually has leftovers from the night before that get heated up. Occasionally he gets a big sandwich. Plus yoghurt, rolled oats and fruit in a tub (as we make our own yoghurt), crackers with cream cheese and sultanas, cheese cubes and olives/a small ham and cheese sandwich.

It takes me a maximum of 10 minutes to assemble that each night (DH and I have the yoghurt tub too) and a mere minute or two to put it in a bag the next morning. The centre provides fruit for morning tea.

I like it because
1. it's cheap
2. it's easy
3. I don't have to stress about DS accidentally being given somethinng he's allergic to
4. DS being given stuff I would think is too processed/junky/sweet

Our centre also has rules about what we can send in:
no chips/lollies/chocolatey museli bars/fizzy drinks/sugary cordial etc (they provide water and milk)
no nuts
pies/pizza/fried goods to be a very rare thing

Julie, who is stunned at the number of Aussie parents who think a vegemite sandwich is an adequate lunch when it's really better as an afternoon snack!!!  ohmy.gif (Oh, and was also stunned to hear two parents say that they liked their kid's centre being catered as 'at least that way X gets one good meal a day' sad.gif)

Edited by Canberra chick, 12 June 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#15 brodyb

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Do you get a reduction in fees?  unsure.gif

#16 Dani

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

Sorry but what a f'ing lame OP.  I would also state that I would like the "nazi" word removed too....this is a blanket rule on EB to the best of my knowledge.  I (in a roundabout way) resent being referred to as a "food nazi" on the back of my kid having a disease in relation to food - no coeliac is not an allergy but indeed a disease., google it for some education.  glare.gif  Do you think Mothers like myself enjoy having appointments with Directors of childcare centres on the back of their childs strict dietary requirements - hell no!  My kid didn't ask for it and for that reason alone I refuse to let her be victamised because of it.

Quit whingeing *** and be glad you have such perfect girls with such voracious appetites _ I would kill for one of them.  This is all about tollerance and understanding and parents bending a little for other parents in order to help their kids.

Get up 5 mins early and make them their own hot lunch if it's that important to you ~ you may have had hot meals everyday until Year 8  rolleyes.gif  but I certainly managed to survive on whatever my Mum threw in my lunchbox, and I assure you it wasn't bloody hot either.

Dani...has a bee in her bonnet about ignorant people today!

#17 PurpleWitch

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Do people really have their kids eat at the school canteen every day??

*shock*

I think mine has had it twice in the last 12 months.

How hard is it to make lunch?

#18 Canberra Chick

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Oh, and DA, surely sending in a packed lunch has to be better than the overboiled veggies and tapioca that you and I probably got for school lunches in the UK?!  sick.gif

ETA, because I just saw Anna's post - Anna, in the UK it was very common for children to get hot meals at school. Until the mid 80s, they actually did meet strict nutritional standards and were a good way of encouraging good table manners. At my primary school, a senior child or teacher  would help serve the little ones and help with those who still weren't great with using cutlery. And we'd help to clear the tables and learn not to reach over to get the salt etc. Have a squizz at what the Japanses do for their school lunches - canteen doesn't have to mean chips and burgers.

Edited by Canberra chick, 12 June 2007 - 12:10 PM.

#19 KimminyCricket

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

CC a vegemite sandwich, piece of fruit and bottle of water is more than enough for a 3 yo for lunch  ohmy.gif  They don't need a hot meal - they get that in the evening.

#20 JRA

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:10 PM

\
I have to agree

#21 Nicole

Yes Anna, mine do. They prefer it, it is pretty uncool in high school to take your lunch. I know they get healthy foods, because none of their schools serves junk, they aren't allowed.

Nope, it's not hard to make lunches, I do it for DH, but my kids prefer to buy it, it's no skin off my nose.

CC, I didn't see anyone post....

Oh, and was also stunned to hear two parents say that they liked their kid's centre being catered as 'at least that way X gets one good meal a day

#22 brodyb

I would also state that I would like the "nazi" word removed too
Dani, I cant even see it?? unsure.gif

#23 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

Not all schools do. The one I used to work at (before I became a SAHM) didn't have tuckshop. There was the building but Parents have to run and there was no one to do it. They did have a sausage sizzle one day per week.

I think it would end up quite expensive if your kids are buying lunch everyday at school.

Do you have to pay for school lunches in the UK?

#24 PurpleWitch

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

My kids prefer lots of things. Doesn't mean I give in original.gif

#25 KimminyCricket

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

Absolutely Anna!  For us, canteen was a treat - not a staple.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Win Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD

To celebrate the release of Love Child Season 2 on DVD from July 9, Essential Baby and Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are giving away Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD to 13 lucky winners.

10 things I wish my pre-baby self knew

I look back at my pre-baby self and laugh at how ridiculously easy I actually had it. I remember complaining about how tired I was and how little time I had.

Creative ways to store your child's art

Ideas for storing your child's artworks have moved on from sticking them to the fridge door before guiltily dumping them in the bin.

Child abuse ignored because 'it's not your children': Waleed Aly

Waleed Aly takes apart the immigration law that's designed to "protect politicians"

How a newborn niece changed star Australian basketballer's life

In August 2013 star basketball Abby Bishop was 24-years-old and in the prime of her sporting career.

Guilt is my new shadow

No one warned me that when I gave birth there would be an additional side order of guilt.

12 brilliant Ikea hacks for kids’ rooms

Check out these creative upcycling ideas that transform regular Ikea items into something special for your little ones.

Child's nightmare about 'man with a light' turned out to be real

For three days, a three-year-old boy had been saying there was "a man with a light" outside his window at night.

Toilet truths after giving birth

The thought of going to the toilet after giving birth is often feared, but there are ways to make it less painful.

Woman asks strangers for $1 million to stop her having an abortion

An anonymous woman is taking an extreme moral and ethical stand by seeking $1 million in donations to prevent her going ahead with a planned abortion.

How a woman's dying wish made another woman a mum

"I kind of think about, 'What did I do beforehand? What kept me so busy back then?' Because now I'm really busy."

The parenting do-over: what six parents did differently second time around

In playgrounds across Australia, you can hear parents lamenting, "When we have our next baby I swear I won't be doing THAT again".

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.