NSW foundation hand font??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_possum11_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Hello lovelies,

Is there anyone in here who might have a copy of the NSW Foundation Hand font files?  I have done a search on a couple of the font sites, and a google, but the only references I can find so far are for wall charts etc.  I'd like to be able to make specific worksheets as needed for Ciaran, he's really struggling, and we're pretty sure he is both dyslexic and ADHD  blink.gif

So if anyone has a copy they'd be willing to share, or can point me in the direction of where to buy it, I would be forever grateful  wub.gif

#2 Guest_--narelle--_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Oh gee Michelle I saw this only recently but for the life of me can't remember where...

Have a look in Tarisota Talk (their newsletter) it might have been there...

#3 mareemum

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

i have it if i will try an Pm it to you

Julie

#4 ~ryn~

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

I have it too, for the same reason! original.gif

I've got the various ones, including the dotted ones...  ETA: all packed up and sent your way!  Let me know if it doesn't work!

Edited by ~ryn~, 12 June 2007 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Guest_possum11_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

wub.gif Thanks so much girls!  wub.gif  Got it Ryn, and seems to be working fine biggrin.gif

Off to make some worksheets - do you think if he traces the troublesome sight words a hundred times it might stick in that brain of his???!!!  blink.gif  laughing2.gif   At least it will be easier showing him how to make the letter forms than before, with me being a lefty who learned a different style and DH having his own dyslexic chicken scratch!

#6 mumoftwins

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

Glad you got it! I too just got a copy. Haven't done anything with it yet as the teacher wants us to concentrate on the sounds as they still haven't got them yet  rolleyes.gif

#7 Guest_possum11_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

LOL Jo, I think our 3 cheeky little monkeys are birds of a feather - Ciaran sucks at the letter sounds too - even ones they learned wayyyyy back near the beginning of first term.  He seems to learn it, and then a few days/hours/minutes!! later has forgotten again  wacko.gif  

I am trying to get him into reading recovery, but so far no luck.  He is being tested for ADHD and learning difficulties on the 27th June, so with luck a 'label' will get them moving on it  rant.gif There is only so much EXTRA stuff you can cram in at home, and he is starting to hate the whole lot - home and school, and is calling himself stupid and that no one likes him cry1.gif

#8 mumoftwins

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

He seems to learn it, and then a few days/hours/minutes!! later has forgotten again

Yep!

he is starting to hate the whole lot - home and school, and is calling himself stupid

Here too  cry1.gif It is very very hard!!

The boys are still removed from class three mornings a week for work on their sounds and I think they are also working with the ESL support as she has a small load atm. I hope things will improve soon!

#9 Guest_possum11_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Jo, it is so nice to know we're not alone - feel free to yell out anytime you could do with an understanding ear  original.gif

#10 ~ryn~

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

Me too!  T-shirt time!!! LOL

Don't despair girls....  Ryan started reading recovery in year 1, and I must say, he's been much more ready for it this year.  And from my reading of ADHD, they tend to respond MUCH better to one-on-one teaching anyway.  Ryan does the same thing - in one ear and out the other - but somewhere along the way he'll pop up with something from months ago out of the blue!!  Long term memory is good, but short term is appalling - also an ADHD trait.

Michelle, if you haven't already, get Dr Green's ADHD book.  WELL worth it - and easy to read - designed to be flicked through - and easy to understand with PRACTICAL tips!!  Although I did spend a bit of time reading through the appendices to see about DSM and treatment methodologies etc.

Gosh, one of the most unhelpful things I read the other day was "tips" for parents with ADHD kids which said  ohmy.gif "Never leave them unsupervised"!!!!!!!!  Yeah, right!  How possible is that with 3 kids??? glare.gif

And I think there's an ADHD support thread here (which I haven't visited in far too long!!!).

#11 *amanda*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

my girls are also getting extra help with school. I can say that now that they are year 2, we have made some real progress. There were times when i thought that we would never teach them how to read, the alphabet, bloody sight words  mad.gif  etc etc. Georgia still struggles to count past 12  sad.gif

The extra help they get has helped IMMENSLY! I am wondering what this worksheet is though  unsure.gif - is it something that would help us too?

i agree Michelle - there is only so much you can do at home after a long day at school and with parents working, arsnic hour etc etc.

Glad to know i am not alone  original.gif

#12 ~Dizzy~

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

Amanda - I think what Michelle meant by worksheets was using the NSW font to create some worksheets for C to write on. The font comes in an outline form, a dotted form, cursive etc.

It's great for the kids to use to learn by tracing our "style" of writing (not all states do their writing & numbers the same IYKWIM  blink.gif )

I also have a set of the fonts (benefits of having teacher friends) if anyone wants it emailed.

#13 *amanda*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

ahh ok thanks Dizzy for clearing that up. I do already have a dotted 'learn to write' font so i will pass on it thanks original.gif

#14 Guest_possum11_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, Dizzy is right onto me!  Customised worksheets and stuff to get his brain working somehow.

It is absolutely frustrating for us when we know he CAN do it if he focuses and concentrates, and when his language and logical skills indicate he is one smart cookie.  Glad to hear G&K are making some progress, and it is sure comforting to know we're not alone.  Ciaran was borderline low birthweight, 2.58kg, even though he was 39 weeks, and there was no reason put forward for it.  There seems to be a link with smaller birth weights and learning difficulties from what I've read sad.gif

If you have whatever the SA schools use that's great Amanda, if not perhaps post about in the state threads and see if someone has the equivalent.  I was quite willing to buy it, but couldn't even track it down to do that!

#15 *amanda*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

It is absolutely frustrating for us when we know he CAN do it if he focuses and concentrates

oh yeah i hear you there Michelle  ddown.gif ddoh.gif

Edited by *amanda*, 13 June 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#16 carolleigh

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (~Dizzy~ @ 13/06/2007, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amanda - I think what Michelle meant by worksheets was using the NSW font to create some worksheets for C to write on. The font comes in an outline form, a dotted form, cursive etc.

It's great for the kids to use to learn by tracing our "style" of writing (not all states do their writing & numbers the same IYKWIM  blink.gif )

I also have a set of the fonts (benefits of having teacher friends) if anyone wants it emailed.

Hi Dizzy,

Could you please send me a copy of the fonts too? I used to have them but got a new laptop and lost them all!

Thanks!

#17 bluecardigans

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

This is what we have been using... I can write my own name

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.