done the castor oil!!! how long b4 i can expect anything?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rosey80

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Good evening ladies,

Against mums wishes i went ahead and did the castor oil drink tonight,i combined 3 tablespoons with half a cup of coke.Wasnt pleasant but not as bad as i thought.Ok, so how long b4 i can expect anything to happen?Has anyone had success stories using this method? I am all of a sudden scared.

#2 Smurtle the Turtle

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:07 PM

Be very much prepared for the fact that absolutely nothing whatsoever might happen other than a severe case of the runs.

ETA and given that you arent due until 6 May I'd be even more inclined to think nothing more will happen other than the runs.  Sorry.

Edited by Smurtle the Turtle, 24 April 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#3 *maddierose*

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

if bubs isn't ready castor oil definately won't bring it on, may bring the runs on as pp said. Before you do this again please research it, can't be sure but i think i read somewhere that it can cause distress in bubs.

#4 Guest_shauna'smum_*

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

OK Im a castor oil success story LOL laughing2.gif .
3 tablespoons of castor oil? wimp! laughing2.gif .
I had half a glass of castor oil with half a glass of orange juice ( my DH Nannas secret receipe) and within approx 4 hours my waters broke while I was ummmmm pooing alot ? laughing2.gif .
Contractions started nice and regularly about a hour later and well the rest is history biggrin.gif .
I was 4 days overdue and honestly if your cervix is not ripe and
bubs is not ready to come then its a total waste of time.
good luck biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_tash83_*

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

Dancing all night worked for my mum, I was born the next day! (a month early though)

#6 Guest_shauna'smum_*

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

Oh also to the PP.
I did my own research and the whole baby gets distressd Idea is totally illogical and very incorrect.
The Castor oil will NOT pass the placenta, its like saying a hot curry meal will cause the bub to get hearburn and the squirts wacko.gif , wich of course is silly!
Its simply  a oil that gives a very dramatic laxative effect, which also in some cases results in irritating the uterus and 'jump starts labour' the Colon and Uterus are very close together.
The reason they have to give the 'warning' about Castor oil, is that while there is not conclusive studies to prove it does not cause problems, there is no conclusive studies to proves it DOES cause problems!
Really one of those use your own commen sense cases.

#7 Guest_LandShark_*

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:26 AM

I tried castor oil at 12 days overdue - I had 6 teaspoons worth over an hour and a half. Cleared my bowels out nicely but didn't send me into labour! I had my waters broken the next day and DS2 was born after a 4 hour labour. I would definitely do castor oil again as thank goodness I didn't poo myself during pushing this time - nothing left LOL! I would NEVER do it unless I was significantly overdue though. Baby will not come unless he/she is good and ready, natural induction techniques might speed things up a little but trying to force things to happen are likely to just leave you uncomfortable.

#8 littlesuzie

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

I did the castor oil and went into labour about 4 hours later.  Also gave the bowels a good clean out whilst in labour lol.  But I agree nothing will happen except the runs unless bubs is ready anyway.  I also tried lots of other natural things like eating lots of fresh pineapple, and lots of sex!  Maybe none of them worked but it was fun trying!

#9 MegsW

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Tried it with my DS#2.  Did nothing except give me the runs, a stomach ache and even now, 4 and a half years later, the thought of drinking it still turns my stomach.

And the reason it is not recommended is because it can cause such severe diarrohea that there is a concern for the mother becoming  dehydrated and that affecting the baby.

There are plenty of other induction methods that are more successful, and realistically you still have 10 days until you are near bubs arriving.  

It is hard, but be patient.  Baby will come when ready and that is the best time for baby and you.  Trying to force it won't help.

#10 becket23

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

Old wives tale! sorry! as everyone seems to have pointed out, it is just a laxative. Purely coincidence if your labour starts soon!
New research shows that when your baby is ready to be born (because the lungs are fully developed) it emits hormones to start labour, therefore you don't WANT to actually do anything to bring it on early as the bub will come when it is ready.

#11 madles

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

I did the castor oil  and orange juice thing 6 hrs later my waters broke. I wasn't due for another 2 days.  I had tried 3 weeks prior to this and all I got was the runs.

#12 ~muddleheaded-wombat~

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

I did this ... castor oil, vodka and orange juice..

result: NOTHING.. not a thing (only a small amt of vodka too)

Bub will come when ready - mind you I have never gone in to labour on my own wacko.gif

#13 Guest_tash83_*

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

I tried fenugreek at 37wks, but I think it just made my already low blood pressure drop further or something, felt dizzy & sick. Couldn't drink castor oil, can't even drink the 50/50 castor oil/chocolate stuff that's sold as a laxative.
Waters broke during sex on the sunday evening 2 days before my due date. Woke up to contractions 5mins apart at 5am on the tuesday (due date). Bub born at 1.01pm.

#14 3-Bear-Bums

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

had half a glass of castor oil with half a glass of orange juice

I also did this but i think it was about 90% castor oil.  sick.gif I couldn't drink OJ for years after that.
But i did start labour the next morning.  grin.gif

3 tablespoons of castor oil? wimp!
  laughing2.gif   laughing2.gif

WHY have you taken castor oil?

When you aren't due for another 11 days?  unsure.gif

#15 ~cackleberry~

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

I tried 30ml of castor oil in orange juice with my DS#3 and he was born the next morning.  It made me feel very ill that night and wonder why I did it.  I'm really not sure if it was the castor oil that put me into labour or the indian food I ate, the walk I went on, the sex we had, or the bumpy ride in the car that did it.   rolleyes.gif  Could you tell I was a little impatient to go into labour?  I was 8 days overdue.  I have heard that castor oil doesn't work unless you are overdue.  Good luck though, hope bubs makes an appearance sooner rather than later for you.  original.gif

#16 rosey80

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for sharing stories ladies.To those who are against what i have done, well each to there own.Why did i do it? Hello was willing to try anything.As for being a wimp, followed recipe that i got off a site.DIdnt do a thing for me, not even give the runs,just a few good farts.LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.