Child Drowning just outside of Toowoomba

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 3littlemonkeys

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Has anyone heard any further details regarding this? I heard on the radio this morning that the child was found in a dam and was 14 months old. This came I think they said 12 months after their 13 month old child was found drowned in a cattle trough.

I have had a look on news.com but they only give the headline, no further details. I can't remember the name of the Toowoomba paper to look online.

#2 Shell-and-Josh

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

your kidding they have lost two babies due to drowing in the last twelve months omg.. cry1.gif

#3 3littlemonkeys

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

I just found the story, her daughter drowned at 13 months in November 2004, their son drowned at 14 months yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...63-3102,00.html

This poor family, how distraught they must be. My thougts and prayers are with them.

#4 Guest_Dark~Abyss_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

I have some thoughts on this but I dont want to start a debate or the thread to be closed so all I'm going to say is that its very very sad!!  sad.gif

#5 smoe

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have some thoughts on this but I dont want to start a debate or the thread to be closed so all I'm going to say is that its very very sad!!

And I hate to say it, but I agree.

How very very sad, those poor little people. So so heart breaking

#6 Guest_triptic_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

I'm at a loss as to how this could happen twice.  Like PPs have said, I don't want to start a debate on this, but I'm sad...and I'm angry.

#7 JRA

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

How terrible. Those poor children. how heartbreaking

#8 lilone_

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

The poor children, loosing their life so young  cry1.gif
Heart breaking for those who love then

ETA sig taken down out of respect

Edited by lilone_, 21 March 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#9 PinK*StaR

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

I'm glad others said first, but I too will add that this is unbelievably sad!
Wonder if further details will be released, I haven't seen much regarding details  sad.gif

#10 Lucky Mama

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

I will also say how sad it is and I did cry when I heard the news tonight but as Kate has said I will leave my other thoughts so that this thread is not locked.

#11 =Magpie=

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

sad.gif Just awful............ mad.gif

#12 Guest_Heffalump_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

cry1.gif  cry1.gif

I hate to sound naive but why would the thread be locked for expressing and discussing a very real concern.

There does not need to be reference to this particular situation, but if what you are all saying is what I am thinking - it's a real illness and needs to be discussed, and people who are not aware need to be made aware.

A discussion like this could save lives. rant.gif

The only way that I can see that the thread is locked is if unfair accusations are made and it turns into a free-for-all sad.gif  sick.gif

Ok - off my soapbox having successfully squirmed out of putting a name to 'the issue' blush.gif

Edited by Heffalump, 22 March 2007 - 07:24 AM.

#13 ~Whintreleigh~

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Stories like these break my heart...what could have been done to prevent this from happening...escpecially twice!? sad.gif

#14 JRA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

What could be done?

There are inherent dangers living on a farm. The most obvious is dams/troughs.  

In suburbia you cannot have a pool that is not fenced VERY safely, the same rules don't apply to dams etc. Hence you need to be extra extra extra cautious.

My sisters had two dams within 50 mts of the house. One immediately beside the garden, (ie other side of a standard paddock fence), the other over two paddock fences. It means being extra, incredibly incredibly cautious.

#15 ~~~~!eternity!~~~~

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

My thoughts on hearing this were if I had lost a child to drowning then I would be super paranoid and vigorous in making sure that my other children knew of the dangers and were never in the situation where they may drown as well. I think I would be almost loopy with paranoia.

Edited by mumtowill, 22 March 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#16 Guest_triptic_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

My thoughts on hearing this were if I had lost a child to drowning then I would be super, paranoid and vigorous in making sure that my other children knew of the dangers and were never in the situation where they may drown as well. I think I would be almost loopy with paranoia.

Completely agree!  That's why I can't get my head around it.

#17 Petrichor

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hi Christeenm,  the Toowoomba paper is called The Chronicle.

This is such a sad and tragic occurance.  Poor children.   sad.gif If it is genuine accidents then I feel deeply for the family.  I really don't know how you could cope with this.

#18 Guest_Dark~Abyss_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

The only way that I can see that the thread is locked is if unfair accusations are made and it turns into a free-for-all

I just didnt want to come out and say what I thought about TWO of her children drowning at pretty much the SAME age and her finding them on both occasions!

The second drowning has only just happened and is being investigated thoroughly by the police from the sounds of it, so I dont want to go shooting my mouth off about what I think may have occurred and it turn out that its simply 2 tragic and devastating accidents that this poor family has had to deal with.

When the police finalise their report on what has happened and if there is any connection to the death of the 1st and 2nd  child and any mental illness the mother may have then I'd be happy to discuss it further in detail.

I just dont see any point in discussing what I think 'may' have happened until the police finish their investigations.

I really hope my suspicions are proven wrong though!!  sad.gif

#19 **Maroon6**

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

What a horror story. Those poor little babies. sad.gif

Surely there is only one Kathleen Folbigg in this world. Gee, I hope so!

#20 *~*ChristieLee*~*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

I have also been thinking about this and just can't get it how it could happen TWICE!

We got rid of our fish pond and pool so there would be no possibility of DS drowning in them. We also have padlocked gates, so that DS can absolutely have no chance of "escape".

If you live on a farm you need to be even more careful.

Anyway I guess we will have to wait and see what comes of the investigations.

I feel incredibly sorry for the family and the babies though.

Christie

#21 Nut

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Just thought I would pop my head in and thank you all for not turning this into 'casting of suspicions' session.

I do hope we can keep it that way... I know it's hard not to wonder and to discuss the theories is very tempting (as one does) but please keep up the efforts of just expressing sympathy original.gif

#22 Lu

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:53 AM

I read it in the paper today, and the photo that they showed of her she didn't looked too distressed!  I would be an absolute basket case if just one of my boys drowned, let alone both of them, within a year.

Before reading this thread, I didn't think along the lines of that she may have done something. I did however think that by golly, if it's happened once already you would be super duper vigilant not to have it happen again.

In Qld dams are supposed to be fenced! It is part of the legislation for pool fencing. http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/docs/Poo...ines.pdf#page=7  section 1.6 part c) ii)

Dam or tank solely or principally used, or designed, manufactured or adapted to be solely principally used, for aquaculture, marine reseach or storage of water.

Also on the same page section 1.6 part a)
Swimming pool means an excavation or structure that is: Capable of being filled with water to a depth of 300mm or more.

Have a pond deeper that this in Qld is should be fenced!

#23 hannahbug

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

Toddler's family hits back

By Nikkii Joyce

"IT could happen to anyone," the family of drowned toddler Lincoln Cooper said last night, hitting back at insinuations and speculation their double loss was anything but a terrible tragedy..

"You can't stand there and hold their hand, 24 hours a day. Could it (happen twice)? Absolutely, this could have happened to anyone," a family member said last night.

The 14-month-old's death on Tuesday afternoon has shattered the Cooper family, who have struggled for normality since losing Lincoln's older sister in similar heartbreaking circumstances in 2004.

Matilda too was just 14-months-old, when she drowned.

Lawrie and Janine, and their four children Samantha (17), Raelene (14), William (12) and Elizabeth (6) will get through it, according to the family member, minute by minute.

In a statement to The Chronicle last night, Mr and Mrs Cooper spoke of the little boy who loved adventures and was his father's constant shadow.

"Because of our earlier loss, Lincoln was very special to all of us  we as a family found great joy in his life," the statement read.

"Lincoln loved to go with dad to collect the mail and pick up the children from the school bus." Mr Cooper had gone to pick up the children from the school bus at the gate, while Mrs Cooper was doing the housework.

On their return, it was apparent Lincoln was missing, Mrs Cooper finding her son face up in the old bath tub used as a trough for the calves.

The grieving parents sent a special thank you last night to the paramedics, doctors and nurses and people in general, who had shown them support.

"They will get through it as best they can, it's twice as bad with the loss of Matilda, and it's even harder to go on, but they will take it minute by minute," the family member said.

I really feel sorry for this family but as another farming family it is rather difficult to fence water troughs for animals.  Kids will climb gates and be curious.  From all reports its a silly error of judgement.  Father thought Lincoln was with mum and vice versa.

The police will submit their investigations findings to the coroner as does with ALL CHILD deaths in QLD.  the family will go through the same investigations as parents would if their babies were SIDS victims.

#24 JRA

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

Yes, it is not possible to fence off troughs, it would make them impossible for the animals to get.

That is why it is just so important to have fences around the house and WATCH

It is a terrible tragedy

I grew up on a farm, and my sisters have property around their houses.

#25 Hayleymumof3

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

I am wondering why after the death of the first child they didn't put fences up around the house so it didn't happen a second time.  Twice in the space of 12-18 months is just weird.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.