Anyone on Elevit? I thought it was the best.....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 feistyhorsegal

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

http://www.safefetus...it&TradeId=1380

Anyone on Elevit? Then I suggest you read this. I thought it was the best, but it says on this website that the doses of some vitamins are too high and can cause problems. Is this information correct? And if not Elevit which other multivitamin is best for bub and me?

ETA you'll have to cut and paste the web address into your browser, for some reason its not coming up as a link.

Edited by feistyhorsegal, 15 February 2007 - 03:16 PM.

#2 JuliaGulia

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

I personally find the Blackmore's ones better.  I take a practitioner only one called Natal (can only get through a naturopath).  The iron levels in Elevit concern me a bit.

#3 Smurtle the Turtle

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Having read this in the terms and conditions sections...

JURISDICTION
This Agreement and any of its provisions shall be governed and interpreted by the laws in force in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Any dispute, claim, or controversy arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the breach of any provision thereof, shall be settled by the courts of Amman, who shall have exclusive jurisdiction over it.

...given that it is not an Australian site I would strongly suggest speaking to your Australian medical practitioner about this one.

#4 *ilovebub*

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

I took elevit with my first pregnancy as it was recommended to me also- I am now taking it again with my second, and have never had any problems.

Cheers

#5 justoneson

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

I don't have time to read the info atm, but I used it, as that is what the ob recommended me to have - sounds bad that I just took his advice doesn't it!  Oh well...DS is now 3.4 years, and as far as I know, no major problems - apart from normal stuff that boys of this age do.  Would be interested to read the info, or for you to give a quick run down, as my SIL is using it atm - she is 15 weeks preg.  She has also been told it is the best.

#6 mummytojackandlainey

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

my gp recommended it and my ob did not blink when i told her i was on it so i feel fine taking it.  no side effects my iron levels are fine and surely they wouldnt sell it if it was a problem......

#7 feistyhorsegal

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

Its not an australian site. But this is the info it provides. It scared the life out of me quite frankly!

Indication  

Contains: Vit. A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, Vit. D2, Vit. E, biotin, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, nicotinamide, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, zinc, phosphorus.

Fetal Risk    

The doses of Vit. B2, B6, B12, C, D2, E, nicotinamide are above the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) in pregnancy.
Suggested association between high doses of Vit. C and anencephaly and infantile scurvy.
Possible association between high doses of Vit. B6 and phocomelia, infantile convulsions.
No fetal harm reported from high doses of Vit. E and B12.
High doses of Vit. D2 is possible cause of suprovalvular aortic stenosis syndrome and idiopathic hypercalcemia of infancy.
No data about manganese, biotin and phosphorus.
Calcium and magnesium should not be used in 1st trimester because of potential teratogenicity.
Calcium is safe in last trimesters if used within RDA.
Chronic use of magnesium can cause neonatal hypermagnesemia with drowsiness, cardiovascular impairment, respiratory distress and decreased muscle tone.

Breast Feeding    

High doses of Vit. D can cause hypercalcemia in the nursing infant.
The dose of Vit. B6 is above the RDA in lactation and it may inhibit lactation.
The dose of Vit. C and B12 are above the RDA in lactation but can be used safely if needed.
No data about copper, biotin, phosphorus and manganese.

#8 Guest_triptic_*

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:37 PM

I took it for the first few weeks of my last pregnancy and for some reason I just couldn't be bothered this time around.  I'm eating well, not underweight, so I really can't see the point.  That may sound naive, but maybe you get a bit lax on subsequent pregnancies.

For some women it actually makes their m/s worse.  I had shocking hyperemesis in my first pregnancy so taking a vitamin made sense to me - I was hardly eating.  But this time it's different and what my baby needs, will be taken from me.

If anything probably my iron levels are too low.

#9 Carrie B

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

I am taking Elevit with this pregnancy on the recommendation of my Ob. I haven't had any problems with it besides some slight constipation but Metamucil helps with that.

I took Blackmores with my previous pregnancies and started on that with this one but then switched over.

#10 rosebudkt

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

Blackmores was recommended to me by my GP on the basis that the doses of some vitamins in Elevit do exceed the RDA. Of particular concern to her was the high doses of Folate which can mask vitmain and mineral deficiencies in other areas. That said, I know plenty of people who take it and have perfectly healthy babies.

#11 ~flaxen~

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

Aussie Elevit doesn't contain Vit A ( I know of at least one expat who prefers to get it from home for this reason), perhaps the quantities of the other vitamins are also different? Might be worth checking this out before scaring people??? JMHO

#12 Smurtle the Turtle

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

Aussie Elevit doesn't contain Vit A ( I know of at least one expat who prefers to get it from home for this reason), perhaps the quantities of the other vitamins are also different? Might be worth checking this out before scaring people??? JMHO

This is exactly the point I was making earlier.  This is not an Australian website, they will not be testing a product that is available in this country.

Once again, check with your Australian practitioner.

Edited by Smurtle the Turtle, 15 February 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#13 domestically~challenged

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

My Drs. and Natural Therapists have all also highly recommended Elevit.

I too am going with the PP's about the site not being Australian and listing Vitamin A and whatever else is inaccurate.

Edited by praying4bfp, 15 February 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#14 MnM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

Im taking it and have felt so much better since i started taking it.  I wouldnt trust that website if its not even australian.  Says on my box its made in Germany so the elevit on that website is maybe different as it contains Vit A and ours doesnt.  

Im just gonna keep taking it, not worried about that website, sure our obs wouldn't recommend something dangerous.

Why not google search for an australian site about elevit if you are worried.

Edited by MnM, 15 February 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#15 mummy2jake

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

i took it first preggy & made ,me sick trying to force such a big tablet down!! I am on iron tablets(from when my iron was low & decided notto stop them coz it'll just come back) & folic acid, my docs happy with that.

#16 Saatchi

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:41 PM

I started with Elevit but have switched to Blackmores after my blood test revealed my iodine levels were a bit low and my iron levels were fine. Because Elevit is not an Australian brand the haven't yet added Iodine to their formula, but apparently will soon because recent research shows how important it is for babies brain development. For those of you taking Elevit, perhpas use iodised salt or take a pregnancy vitamin with iodine on alternate days (I was doing this but it was not enough for me). If you're worried about you iron, iodine levels etc and the correct dosage for you request a blood test and take out the guesswork - worked for me.

#17 --Me--

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

There are a few inconstistencies with that information from that website:

Suggested association between high doses of Vit. C and anencephaly and infantile scurvy.

Scurvy is caused by a LACK of Vit C.

Contains: Vit. A,

Australian Elevit contains NO Vit A

Elevit sold in Australia has passed numerous tests and studies by the Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) in order to be sold on pharmacy shelves.

I have been taking it non stop for 2 years and am very happy so far.

#18 Lanasmummy

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

I have lived in the Middle East and know for a fact that Elevit is different over there and that website should not concern us.

I started on Elevit from Australia when TTC and continued to use the Aussie Elevit whilst in the Middle East.  I ran out at one stage and was very happy to find that they sold Elevit there UNITL I read the differences in the ingredients.

I immediately had my mother send me the Aussie Elevit and threw the others in the bin.

In saying this though, all the multivitamins sold over there and in the UK had Vit A in them.  When I questioned a Pharmasist on this, I was told it was Vitamin A found in fruits and vegetables not the Pre-formed Vitamin A that is found in animal products such as liver.  In my understanding there are 2 types of Vitamin A and the one which is found in fruits and vegetables is safe and obviously needed in a healthy diet at any time.

I have gone with Blackmores this pregnancy, as I don't eat seafood and need to get the Omega 3.  I couldn't stand another pregnancy of taking Flaxseed oil with orange juice.  I don't know what was worst Morning sickness or the oil drink sick.gif

#19 MadamFrou-Frou

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

Elevit didn't suit me at all (made me unbearably constipated). Part of the reason it is always promoted as the "best" is because it is manufactured by a large pharmaceutical company with a hug marketing budget.

I chose Fabfol + in the end as it has iodine and the Blackmores tablets were too big when i had morning sickness. They are all very similar though, Fabfol just uses a different type of iron.

#20 My~Little~Iris

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

My GP recommended Elevit when we told her we were TTC. Now that I am pregnant it has also been recommended by our OB and also the midwife. The midwife said that it is very easy to become anemic while you are pregnant. I compared a few of the pregnancy multi-vitamins and Elevit had 60mg iron compared to Blackmores 5mg. I don't eat meat very often so I think I need the extra iron. I know it doesn't have any of the extras like iodine and omega 3 but the doctor said to me it was more important to look after the building blocks like folate and iron.
As for what that website was saying I think they made alot of mistakes when talking about the supposed effects of some vitamins so I wouldn't trust their opinion. For any drug or vitamin to be sold in Australia it has to pass many, many, many tests and just a whisper of a problem is enough for it to be removed so I wouldn't think there is any problems with Elevit. If you are still worried take the Elevit box to the doctors next time you have your check up and get them to go show you the RDI of vitamins for pregnant women as compared to the amounts in the supplement. You can also find the RDI charts on the net.

#21 tikitour

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:00 AM

Ditto pinkshoos I had the same problem with constipation and Elevit when I was pregnant with DD. I saw my GP and said look how much i'm showing already and she sent me home with laxative LOL

Then she put me on to FABFOL plus as well, which I find great as the iron is in a chelated form and didn't cause any such problems. YAY!

#22 Chantz

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

I've spoken to naturopaths, dieticians etc... and you can't take too much vitamins as your body just gets rid of excess. Having said that though with ground derived vitamins you only absorb 5% of the tablet, but with plant derived you absorb 99%

I am taking elevit + megafol and both of these are ground derived. So i'm also taking my other vitamins that I normally take and have also just started (as of yesterday) an organic green vege powder which isn't very nice but is packed full of the nutrients that you just don't get.

#23 ej1974

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

First of all, I've been taking elevit for both of my pregnancies and never had any trouble at all. It was recommended to me by so many people - other mums, my OB, GP and some hospital staff. These are people I trust highly and I regard their advice as incredibly valuable as they have A LOT of experience in pre-natal care. I doubt they would be recommending something that compromised the wellbeing of my baby. Not to mention it has the approval of the TGA.

Secondly, as a lot of you have already pointed out, that site is grossly inaccurate. It's not an Australian site and doesn't even recognise that Australian Elevit does not have Vitamin A and many of the claims it makes about Elevit are misleading.  rolleyes.gif

I think the reason Elevit is considered to be the best is because it's the only one that's clinically proven to work by reducing neural tube defects. Not because it has a marketing budget.

I would feel horribly guilty if i didn't take Elevit. it's just too important to give my baby the best possible chance of good health and this is something that I have heard from a lot of mothers! The Australian Elevit site which is at www.elevit.com.au is probably the best place for information on ingredients and if you are concerned, I would see an Australian practitioner, rather than relying on a website that doesn't even have the facts right.

I'm sure you were just trying to do the best thing for your baby by checking out all the facts but it looks like the best thing you can do for your baby is to keep taking elevit!!  biggrin.gif

#24 witchesforest

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

thanks to the elevit marketing department for the previous post!    

i've take blackmore's so far and it seems to do the job.  i think it's good to take something, at least for iron and folate, but i have noticed my wee has gone a highlighter-yellow colour which presumably is all the vitamins i'm weeing out because i don't have capacity to absorb them.  so somewhere in the ocean there must be some very healthy fish absorbing all these left over vitamins!  

the most important thing IMHO is a good diet.

BTW - you can't rely on your body excreting excess vitamins in all cases - it is possible to overdose on some vitamins, for example vitamin A in liver.  that's what famously killed some antarctic explorers, they ran out of food and had to eat their huskies, and the livers of the huskies gave them vitamin A poisoning and i think at least one person died from it.  that's an extreme case but you are supposed to avoid eating liver in pregnancy for this reason.

#25 MadamFrou-Frou

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

I think the reason Elevit is considered to be the best is because it's the only one that's clinically proven to work by reducing neural tube defects. Not because it has a marketing budget.

Well they had the money to pay for the clinical trials to be conducted. I used to work for their advertising company.

Folate in general has been  proven to reduce neural tube defects. Elevit does have the highest level of folate in terms of the main pregnancy multis. But I just wanted to make the point that it is not the best multi for everyone.

I still think it's important to eat a balanced diet and not rely on whats in the vitamins. Can I mention that Elevit is also ridiculously expensive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.