Breastfeeding- Tips/hints and what you think Mums need to know

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 hjv

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi all original.gif,

I have combined the "Best ever breastfeeding tips" thread with the "WDYT? Mums need to know" thread as both have the same aim, which is to share our individual breastfeeding experiences.
This is the place to share any tips / information / feelings and knowledge about breastfeeding that you think may be informative or inspiring to other breastfeeding mums and breastfeeding mums to be!

All the best,

luckytwo, Moderator of the Breastfeeding forum

Yes I have been reading the other thread and it seems to me that nothing anyone says will change the views of those in the opposing camp but that there was some really useful comments in there about the lack of information given to new mums about breastfeeding.  I completely agree with that - I had no clue before DD1 was born.

So what do you think new mums should know about breastfeeding that will make it easier for them and will encourage them to continue???

The things that spring to mind for me (which seem frighteningly basic to me now but I really had no idea) are:

- your supply is generally lower in the late afternoon/ evening so baby is likely to want more feeds then

- growth spurts - usually the first is around 6 weeks when baby just wants to feed feed feed constantly - lasts for a few days and then you go back to your normal routine

- ways to increase your supply if you think it is lacking is to rest, drink lots of water, have lots of skin to skin contact with your baby and express between feeds

- attachment and correct positioning is crucial for the first few weeks

and lots more stuff that I am too tired to think of right now.  But hey I know there are plenty of you out there who can really help others so please feel free to add/correct what I have said.

Helen

Edited by luckytwo, 19 March 2011 - 08:45 PM.
change of title and merging of pinned threads

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

In the begining, even with perfect attachment, it can be, but is not always, toe-curlingly painful.  This is normal and will decrease over time.  

Breastfeeding is physically draining.  It is important to have supportive people around you who understand this and help you - try to minimise stress, allow you chances to put your feet up and rest (without a bub attached lol), and eat healthy nutritious foods.

Foods you eat may affect your breastmilk and bub.  Again, everyone is different but if bub does seem extra unsettled, pained or whatever, look at your diet.  It can take several days to eliminate from your system and then bub's system so for example, don't just cut out caffine for one day and not see any improvement and say that it's not having any effects.

#3 InkPink

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

That after a few weeks breastfeeding your boobs will not be full looking and hard, and whilst it may seem like you are losing your milk, they have infact adjusted to how much your baby needs and are working perfectly.

That breastmilk is a supply and demand thing, if you introduce a bottle of formula because you think you supply is diminishing (see point above) your body will react and produce less milk.

#4 Rock of Empathy

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

My only words of advice are if you are having trouble in the early days see a lactation consultant before giving up. They really can make all the difference.

#5 andyb

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

That your cracked, bleeding nipples WILL heal and you can successfully b/f for as long as you want

That you can comp feed for the first few weeks (if necessary) and still b/f exclusively after that period

That even if it takes a week for your milk to come in, you can still b/f successfully and exclusively

That if your baby does not open its mouth 'properly' that there are other ways of attaching your baby to the nipple

Andrea
DS  8 Sept 04
DD  29 Sept 06

#6 Molly1974

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

That for some people, no matter what you do or try it just doesn't work. If this happens don't feel guilty.

#7 TinFeralCat

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

- How your body actually produces milk
- That just because you dont leak or feel full doesnt mean you have run out of milk
- Similarly that if you can't express alot of milk, it doesnt mean you have a low supply
- That there are other sources of information and support such as the ABA, EB and kellymom.com
- That if your baby wants to feed every hour sometimes, it can be normal
- Babies rarely self wean before 12 months
- Babies have fussy and distractible periods at ______ and this is completely normal (someone fill in the gaps Tounge1.gif )
- oh and Lansinoh stains!  wacko.gif

#8 CBMKBJA

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

I would tell a first time mum that it is really hard and the baby has something to do with it also.  Some babies are really smart and know how to latch on properly and some are a bit dopey and have no idea, usually boys.  I have breastfed 7 and they are all different.  Don't feel ashamed to ask a midwife for help either.

I used to try and feed exactly how the midwives were telling me but it wouldn't work.  Supposedly you are supposed to just sit there with the baby on the boob but I found I had to support the boob for the first couple of months like how you hold it when you are trying to attach.  I had many a fight with a midwife telling I shouldn't do that but I had to because the baby couldn't feed because it was getting suffocated.  In the end I learnt to just shut up and let the midwife think I was listening.

So even though there is a correct way to feed by the text book sometimes you can feed in other ways as long as your boobs aren't hurting when the baby is attached.

Also I would tell them to feed the baby whenever they thought it was hungry, I have had a baby that fed every 2 hours and one that fed every 4 and the others were basically approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hrs between feeds.  A baby will never get obese breastfeeding which is what some people seem to think and say whenever they see you feeding and you only just fed.

It's not the breastfeeding that wrecks your boobs it's what happens to your boobs whilst pregnant that changes the shape.  Your body preparing your boobs to feed.

ALso that you can get thrush on your boobs and in the baby's mouth, the signs for mastitis, that the leaking eventually settles, etc.

That it can be the most relaxing and rewarding time with your bub.  When you breastfeed you actually have to sit down and have a rest, you  can't prop the bottle on a pillow and go and do work.

Even when you have plenty of milk and baby is putting on good weight every week doesn't mean you will be able to express an ounce.  It's funny that when the baby is on the boob the milk pours out but when you try to express it becomes the sahara desert.

Also not to worry so much about your figure.  Soon as you start to diet it can affect your milk supply.  I would tell a new mum to worry about eating healthy and worry about her weight when the baby had weaned.

Edited by Natalie63, 27 January 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#9 Expat

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

This
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

This
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

This
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/distractible-baby.html

This
http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

This
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

and this
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Before you have your baby read all of these, show them to your partner, and your mother and MIL

#10 *Babylove*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

I havn't read the replies so I don't know if the has already been covered or not. Well anyway...

New mothers need to be taught that b/f can be very hard work. There are cracked, sore nipples, mastitis (which I never even heard of until I got it), latching problems (bub has trouble latching or you're not putting him on right), supply issues. I also think that new mothers have to be taught that if she does have supply issues right from the beginning, to try and preserve and not allow anyone to comp feed her baby formula. Comp feeding formula makes your body believe it is producing enough milk for bub, and it will be very difficult to get your supply up if you do that. Also, if you have supply issues, mothers need to know that they should immediately start pumping from day one, with a good breast pump. With me, the nurses told me I wasn't making enough milk so they comp fed ds formula. The lactation consultant told me it was a waste of money to buy a breast pump because my supply would come in, and when I asked for one in the hospital, they said they wouldn't provide it because I didn't need it. After a while with supply issues and having to comp feed after each b/f episode, a nurse who came to visit me at home told me I needed to start pumping immediatly. I started pumping as soon as I could, but because I had waited so long, it took 2 1/2 months of b/f, comp feeding formula, and pumping after every feed before my supply fully came in. I believe that if I didn't allow the nurses to comp feed ds formula and I kept him on my breast for however long it took him to be satisfied, and if I had pumped from day one, I wouldn't have had supply issues for as long as I did.

I think mothers also need to know that some problems can persist for a few months before they settle down. They need to know that things WILL get better with time (well, maybe not in EVERY case, but I'm sure it would be in the majority of the cases. correct me if I'm wrong, though) as long as they persist and stick with it for long enough. I have known so many mothers who gave up after a couple of weeks because of a certain problem, and I have also heard of how other mothers continued despite them having the same problem, and it got better after a month or two.

I also think mothers should be taught that it is possible they may not actually like b/f. Some people believe they will find b/f to be a loving, wonderful, bonding experince but when they actually do b/f, they do not enjoy it because they simply do not like the sensation of the baby sucking on their nipple.

Finally, I think mothers should be taught how to properly hold their baby while b/f. If you do not hold your baby properly, you can easily suffer from a bad back and neck. I used to get a bad back and neck because I would b/f by hunching over and look down at ds while he fed. The health nurse told me that I should use a pillow under him so I don't hunch over, and I shouldn't look at him the entire time I b/f. I should mainly look ahead and only occasionally glance down at him. Her advice helped quite a bit and my bad back and neck eventually went away.

Edited to add: I also think new mothers should be taught that if they do have problems b/f, it is quite possible they will receive 'advice' from people they know, telling them to give it up because it is too hard. I know most people are only trying to help the mother, but I think she should be aware that this is a possiblity so she can be better prepared for it if/when it happens.

And babies go through growth spirts, so there may be days when it feels like your baby is on your breast all day long. They need to understand that they are not doing anything wrong, and they are not suddenly having a supply issue, but the baby is going through a growth spirt and they simply need to feed a lot more often.

They also need to understand that some people simply cannot b/f for whatever reason and if she has to give up, this is no reason for her to feel like a failure.

Edited by *Babylove*, 27 January 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#11 feral strawberry

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

- Laying down while BFing is lovely esp in those first few weeks when you are very tired and if you have stitches it's a nice way to take some of the pressure off them.

#12 Jeneral

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

1. You dont have to be perfect.  
Your not always going to get warm fuzzies when you feed.. quite often it will be toe curlign and damn annoying experience.. and thats ok.  You dont have to have a perfect diet, a perfect sleepign pattern, and drink the recommended water everyday.  Some days are crap and you eat chocolate, and maybe even have a bourban and coke.. and thats ok!
You dont have to time every feed, wiegh your boobs, feed from this side or that in a particular order... its great if your having issue to try these things.. but so long as it works.. thats ok!

2. Routines Suck!
Yeah... have an idea of what to expect at different ages/stage but you will find your own family 'rhythm'.

3. Sometiems breastfeeding is the easiest thing in the world.. but it still 'feels' hard.  Its not the breastfeeding that is hard.. its everything else as well.. the nappies, the feeds, the whole role of mothering.

4. If I was in charge of doign up info for mothers for breastfeeding then I would include info for all the different stages.  There is so much focus on newborns and getting it established but there is little out there for 3mths onwards.  3-6mth, 6-12mth, 12- 18mths, 18mths - weaning all present different challenges.. teething, introducing meals, resisting the breast, illnesses, changes in sleeping patterns.  I tell ya, if those magazines that have the 'development' info actaully included info on breastfeedign during each of these development stages then I think a lot more people would understand some of the challenges of breastfeeding and the reasons people start to convert to formula during each of these stages.  I truely belive that promotion needs to focus on continued breastfeeding.

#13 ~~sam~~

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

I think the "football hold" is a wonderful way to learn to attach baby as you can see more clearly... (You hold baby under your arm like a football with their face looking towards you.) You can use a pillow for support.

Also if your nipples do crack you can buy nipple shields which take a bit of the pain away and let your nipples heal with the help of lansinoh.

And - Drink lots of water!!

#14 FreeRangeKids

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

That the first 2 weeks you feel like you have a baby attached to your breast every second of the day, but it does get better and isnt like that at all after a few weeks wehn you supply is going well.

Edited by ~*BELLA*~, 27 January 2007 - 03:09 PM.

#15 Duane Dibley

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

You dont have to time every feed, wiegh your boobs, feed from this side or that in a particular order... its great if your having issue to try these things.. but so long as it works.. thats ok!

Having to keep a "record" in the hospital of the feeds, how long, which side, what time etc was something that really threw me out.  It put an idea into my head that somehow breastfeeding should be regimented, on a schedule.  It was good to get rid of the chart after leaving hospital.  The best thing for me was to realise that babies don't run to any kind of clock or timetable with feeding.  Sometimes they'll be hungry again half an hour after their last feed.  Other times it might be a couple of hours.  Sometimes you'll only feed from one side, other times both.  It's quite normal to be all over the shop, especially in the early days.  They work out their own "routine" in time.

At times, you'll feel like you spend all day feeding.

It can be very tiring and draining.

It's lovely when they start patting your face or reaching out for you when you're feeding them.

According to the lactation consultant who helped me, your nipples reach a peak of sensitivity (caused by hormones) around the three week mark.  That's why it hurts so much, for some.  This gradually wanes and stops hurting after a while.

biggrin.gif

#16 gracetilly

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

From my experience  ;-

~ It is not easy to start

~ It hurts for a while as they latch on(OWW!!!Toe curling pain...count to 10)

~Get help from a lactation consultant. There are private ones, and ones in Public Hospitals

~ Realise it is going to be hard work for a while (I think it was 8 weeks for me)

~ The pain will go away (Trying to remember...About 8 weeks as well)

~Express after my morning feeds, and freeze so DH can feed baby overnight

~if you get grazed nipples, air them, or even a little sun.

~Do not feel guilty if you did not get the hang of it...Atleast you tried.But atleast try.

~It is free

~It is the best food for babies

~It is a beautiful experience as they look up at you, sigh whilst still feeding, and touch your cheek

~It is easily transportable

~No need for bottles/sterilising.

~Drink lots of water

~Experiment with positions (Football hold for me was the best)

~Expect to spend alot of time feeding in those first weeks (Feeding would initially take me 1 hour every three hours of so)

~ You will need breast pads for a while, but not forever. I found the cheap ones just as good as the $$ ones.

#17 sweetiebear

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

sad.gif How utterly devastated, shattered, bitterly disappointed and heartbroken you will be if it doesn't work out.  And the pain of not 'succeeding' will stay with you for years.  Especially when you will need to justify formula feeding to family, friends, and random strangers who have the audacity to ask " why aren't you breastfeeding?"  How it is sometimes easier to stay at home alone than go outside for a wlk, to the shops or visiting to avoid having to feed your baby in public with formula and deal with all the questions, comments and snide looks.  And how it all comes to the surface every time you read posts about how great breastfeeding is and how every one should do it.  I know that to be the truth and that is why I detest the fact I couldn't for my children.  
And how there is NO support for you if you can't breastfeed and you are made to feel like a freak.

#18 brazen

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

that it's not easy for everyone and sometimes it takes months of perserverence.
that often the advice you're given doesn't work for you so getting advice from various people is a good thing
that it really is worth trying harder than you thought you could / would to get it right

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

That for some people it just works, so it's not always a terrible, agonising struggle.

Drink plenty of water.

It's impossible to breastfeed angrily.

#20 papilio

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

It is lovely to see all the positive ones here!

If you do breast feed when you are angry, the relaxing hormones released in the mother's body can actually be very calming and relaxing.

That a bowl of porridge for breakfast is an easy way to boost your supply.

#21 Picasso

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

That it's hard work, and that you really need to prepare yourself for the fact that it may not come naturally.

That it hurts sometimes, especially when you are in the early days.  But if you persevere it will get better.  The pain does go eventually.

That it can make you incredibly thirsty!

That it will seem like your baby is feeding a lot in those first few weeks.  It's perfectly normal, just try to go with it.  Don't look at the clock.

When you are feeling like you want to give up - just try taking it one feed at a time.  Baby steps  original.gif

Edited by scrambled, 27 January 2007 - 07:19 PM.

#22 jess42more

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

Thanks ladies, personally I am finding this thread fanstasic and really what I feel I need/want for next time. biggrin.gif

BUT I must say that you are all frightening me with the pain thing. Surely you are not all in major pain for 8 weeks!!  ohmy.gif  huh.gif No wonder some mums cannot bear to continue. sad.gif
What ever happened to the old saying that if your in pain then he/she is not attached correctly? Are you telling me that the pain is there anyway? Wow, thats kinda scarey (to me).

#23 anna-wa

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

I think this is a great idea as even though BF didn't work out for me and bub, I still learnt a fair bit from the threads here and sometimes pass that info on to other mums having probs.

#24 Rubylicious

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

There are 2 different types of pain. The pain because bubs isnt attached properly, and the general discomfort most women feel in the first couple of seconds of each feed for the first few weeks while your nipples adjust.

I wouldnt say the latter is major pain but I guess it depends on the individual's perception of pain IYKWIM. The discomfort is because your nipples are sensitive and not used to being sucked on so often and aggressively. It only lasts a few weeks until the skin toughens up.

I found it was mainly the first few seconds when she attached it stung like crazy until my nipples adjusted. After a few seconds it subsided and felt ok.

To get through it I would just grit my teeth and bare it, make whatever squeels necessary to get me through those few seconds LOL. Just keep reminding yourself that with every feed your nipples are getting more used to it, and one feed closer to when it wont hurt at all...

I guess it depends on your tolerance of pain. I had cracked nipples and all but I still wouldnt call it major pain. I would call child birth major pain.  Tounge1.gif

If the pain is intense, or lasts longer than a few seconds, it is most likely because bubs isnt attached properly.

If attached properly it is more discomfort than pain I think.

Edited by Rubylicious, 27 January 2007 - 07:37 PM.

#25 cinnabubble

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

What ever happened to the old saying that if your in pain then he/she is not attached correctly? Are you telling me that the pain is there anyway?

FWIW, I had pain of varying intensity for a few weeks, more on the left than on the right, but nothing even remotely painful enough to make me reconsider breastfeeding. Sort of "ow ow ow" for the first 30 seconds and discomfort after that.

I should have mentioned in my original post that some babies are good at it, as well. My baby nursed within 15 minutes of birth, but I don't know if she's a good feeder because of that or if she could do that because she was going to be a good feeder.

Also, it is possible to breastfeed, talk on the mobile phone and surf the net on your laptop, all at the same time.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.