Random head shaking in 14mth old?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Renoir

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi all

I was sure there was a topic here recently but have done a big search and come up with nothing - may be something to do with the new sub-headings, not sure.

In the last day or two my DS has started shaking his head from side to side.  That in itself is not a big deal except for the fact that it seems to be completely random - rather than him saying "no" or disagreeing with anything.

He will do about ten shakes and then stop and maybe do a few more, rest and do it again.  I wasn't too worried about it initially because it's not something he does all day or anything but DH has now put the fear of god in me with a whole bunch of possible scenarios.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I can't even take him to the doctor's about it because it's not something he does on command or anything.

TIA

#2 Tpe

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Both my girls have done this. Basically they have discovered that they can move there head without looking at things.  Charlotte is currently doing the shaking no just for fun and has also started to turn around and around in one spot until she is so dizzy that she falls over we have had a few big busters from that one.

It's totally normal development. I dare say that soon you'll start to see him doing a yes nod but in a very exgerated movements too.

HTH

#3 Guest_Tameika_*

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

I think its pretty normal, Imogen is going through this stage to. I think she just does it because it feels weird. She has no idea what it means and does it randomly.

#4 Flanette

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

Yep Lil Miss is a head shaker here too! Glad you asked the question though  :wink:

#5 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:43 AM

Yep - Sam does this a lot too. I actually thought it was something my brother (fooling around) had taught him to do, as he also does this funny noise while he does it.. sort of "aaahhAAAHHHaaahhhAAHHH" rolleyes.gif

#6 Renoir

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Really?  We're not alone?  I feel quite a lot better now, thank you ladies.

Still looks mighty kooky to me though.blink.gif   He just starts it up completely out of the blue.

#7 Sonara

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

My eldest dd did it for quite a while, i freaked out the first time and thought there must have been something wrong. I was told by an elderly aunt that it is a teething thing. When their mouth is sore they do it - could very well be an old wife's tale, who knows?

#8 hootymcboob

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

DD does it too. Same as you we were worried, especially bevcause of her head we thought her skull may have been putting pressure on it, but Dr said it's normal. She does the spinning around until she drops as well & most recently , hitting or punching herself in the face/head, which we hate.

#9 chocks

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

My 14 month old does it too, and I didn't think anything of it until I came across this thread.  How funny, that it's so common in this age group.   smile1.gif

#10 stefnie34

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

Abbie did this when she was a little bit younger and it really freaked me out. One evening I was drying her after a bath and when I touched her ear to dry behind it she did it, so I stopped then touched her ear again and she did it again, so I thought maybe it's something to do with her ears. I took her to the GP and he said one of her ears was blocked with fluid, and that it would drain over a matter of weeks or months. He wasn't entirely positive that was causing the head shaking but said it was definitely a possibility.

Most likely with your DS this is just a developmental thing, as pp's have said, but next time you visit your GP or MCHN might not be a bad idea to have his ears looked at.

#11 Renoir

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for the replies ladies; I feel much, much better now.  He is still doing it but now that I know he's not alone, it doesn't seem to look quite as weird.

#12 3greenhills

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

My 13 month old has just started to do this.... phew I wasnt the only worried one....glad to meet other head shakers :biggrin:

#13 Wangdiddlydooda

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

My DS has been doing this for awhile now!! Freaked me a bit at first as it was still random, we have now progressed to spinning around in one spot, walking and bobbing at the same time which kind of gives this freaky monster like lumbering walk. I think as they get older they realize their bodies can move each part independently. I also am thinking the kind of bobbed down waling could be DS getting ready to jump??? Any thoughts?????

Sarah

#14 mumsbusycrafting

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Yes Amelia does it as well (15 months)  DH says that she is telling the fairies in her head to find another friend to go and play with.  Glad to hear that it is normal and that there are lots of fairies out there. hehe

#15 BlueTopaz

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

My son is 14 months old too and has been doing this for a while.  Now tht he is walking steadily he now looks up at the ceiling and does and falls over laughing. Nobody taught it to him and he thinks it's a hoot!  

Mum2buster

#16 Sunnyflower

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

My 13 month old has done this since he was about 11 months. It's just one of his little quirks. He thinks it's cute (we always laugh at how silly he looks) and he does it now for attention (which he always gets!) so it all works out!

HTHs! original.gif

#17 silne

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yup, DD1 did this at about 12 months I think. She'd shake her head whenever one of us nodded though and then cackle insanely.

DH taught her to do the head shaking when she was cold (as in shivering with a funny sound) and now she only does it when she's cold. It was brilliant of him actually, as she stopped doing it all the time.

She'll still occasionally shake her head when one of us nods.

I love the spinning until they drop! DD1 does it while looking out the side of her eyes and it's just hilarious to watch. She also loves to spin in the bath on her bottom while yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

Gosh they're funny little people.

#18 Rinnie78

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi
another head shaker here too, although its not so random, ive noticed she mainly does it when she is getting tired, its like she is trying to shake her head clear from sleepyness. She does it really fast from side to side.

mandy

Edited by Ryn, 06 January 2007 - 02:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Why I breastfed my son until he was three

The fact that I not only breastfed my son, but breastfed him for three and a half years, seems pretty incredible in retrospect.

Do babies and young children see ghosts?

Do babies and young children see ghosts? If you’ve pondered the question, you’re not alone.

15 years with Essential Baby: meet Therese

"Life has a funny way of giving you what you need when you need it the most."

Mum causes a stir by taking a stand against leggings

A mum has found herself the subject of debate after claiming tight bottoms cause lustful thoughts in men.

Don't set a parenting goal for 2015 - do this instead

The problem with goal setting as a parent is the measure. How do we really know if we’re succeeding?

5 pregnancy myths that just won't go away

When you're expecting, it often seems like everyone is keen to offer advice about what you should and shouldn't do in the interests of your health and wellbeing.

RPA hospital contacting mums after discovering vaccine storage fault

Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) is trying to contact women who had babies at the facility after discovering a fault in a refrigerator containing vaccines.

'Nutella' not a baby name, French court says

A French court has blocked parents from naming their baby girl after the hazelnut spread Nutella, arguing it would make her the target of mockery.

Why I'm never calling myself 'just a mum' again

I’ve grown three human beings. I feed them, dress them, teach them, care for them and love them 24 hours a day. Yet for eight years, when I meet new people and they’ve asked me what I do, I tell them: “I’m just a mum”.

Rosie Batty named 2015 Australian of the Year

One year ago, Rosie Batty could not have imagined she'd be where she is. Tonight the grieving mum who put domestic violence on the national agenda was named Australian of the Year.

Five reasons to hug more

Hugging – some of us thrive on it, even depend on it – and then there are those who don't care for it really. So, are they missing out?

Help - my three-year-old has started throwing tantrums

My daughter never went through the "terrible twos" but began throwing wild tantrums shortly after her third birthday.

That's commitment

First peek at Sonia Kruger's daughter Maggie

"She smells so good, I could eat her," Kruger tells co-host David Campbell.

Mum assists in own caesarean surgery

A mum who partly delivered her own twins during a caesarean has encouraged other women to take control of their birthing experience.

How to handle common childhood regressions

Regression can be a natural and common part of development prompted by a variety of factors, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Disgruntled dad's pram ad goes viral

When buying a second hand pram, there are lots of things to take into consideration. 

Man discovers he's a dad after finding 55-year-old letter

Discovering you are about to father a baby is startling enough - never mind finding out you have a 61-year-old son.

15 thoughts mums have during a tantrum

Ranging from mild to feral and triggered by events both minor and major, tantrums certainly keep life interesting.

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Forgotten Baby Syndrome claims the life of toddler

One baby dies every eight days in the back of a car in the US, victims of 'forgotten baby syndrome'.

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel. You stole my heart, and changed me into the women I am today.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Chrissie Swan has reached her "sex quota"

Chrissie Swan says she and her partner have sex once a year due to her fear of falling pregnant.

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Back to School Offer

Findababysitter.com.au

We've got you covered for this school year. Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.