Random head shaking in 14mth old?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Renoir

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi all

I was sure there was a topic here recently but have done a big search and come up with nothing - may be something to do with the new sub-headings, not sure.

In the last day or two my DS has started shaking his head from side to side.  That in itself is not a big deal except for the fact that it seems to be completely random - rather than him saying "no" or disagreeing with anything.

He will do about ten shakes and then stop and maybe do a few more, rest and do it again.  I wasn't too worried about it initially because it's not something he does all day or anything but DH has now put the fear of god in me with a whole bunch of possible scenarios.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I can't even take him to the doctor's about it because it's not something he does on command or anything.

#2 Tpe

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Both my girls have done this. Basically they have discovered that they can move there head without looking at things.  Charlotte is currently doing the shaking no just for fun and has also started to turn around and around in one spot until she is so dizzy that she falls over we have had a few big busters from that one.

It's totally normal development. I dare say that soon you'll start to see him doing a yes nod but in a very exgerated movements too.

#3 Guest_Tameika_*

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

I think its pretty normal, Imogen is going through this stage to. I think she just does it because it feels weird. She has no idea what it means and does it randomly.

#4 Flanette

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

Yep Lil Miss is a head shaker here too! Glad you asked the question though  :wink:

#5 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:43 AM

Yep - Sam does this a lot too. I actually thought it was something my brother (fooling around) had taught him to do, as he also does this funny noise while he does it.. sort of "aaahhAAAHHHaaahhhAAHHH" rolleyes.gif

#6 Renoir

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Really?  We're not alone?  I feel quite a lot better now, thank you ladies.

Still looks mighty kooky to me though.blink.gif   He just starts it up completely out of the blue.

#7 Sonara

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

My eldest dd did it for quite a while, i freaked out the first time and thought there must have been something wrong. I was told by an elderly aunt that it is a teething thing. When their mouth is sore they do it - could very well be an old wife's tale, who knows?

#8 hootymcboob

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

DD does it too. Same as you we were worried, especially bevcause of her head we thought her skull may have been putting pressure on it, but Dr said it's normal. She does the spinning around until she drops as well & most recently , hitting or punching herself in the face/head, which we hate.

#9 chocks

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

My 14 month old does it too, and I didn't think anything of it until I came across this thread.  How funny, that it's so common in this age group.   smile1.gif

#10 stefnie34

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

Abbie did this when she was a little bit younger and it really freaked me out. One evening I was drying her after a bath and when I touched her ear to dry behind it she did it, so I stopped then touched her ear again and she did it again, so I thought maybe it's something to do with her ears. I took her to the GP and he said one of her ears was blocked with fluid, and that it would drain over a matter of weeks or months. He wasn't entirely positive that was causing the head shaking but said it was definitely a possibility.

Most likely with your DS this is just a developmental thing, as pp's have said, but next time you visit your GP or MCHN might not be a bad idea to have his ears looked at.

#11 Renoir

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for the replies ladies; I feel much, much better now.  He is still doing it but now that I know he's not alone, it doesn't seem to look quite as weird.

#12 3greenhills

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

My 13 month old has just started to do this.... phew I wasnt the only worried one....glad to meet other head shakers :biggrin:

#13 Wangdiddlydooda

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

My DS has been doing this for awhile now!! Freaked me a bit at first as it was still random, we have now progressed to spinning around in one spot, walking and bobbing at the same time which kind of gives this freaky monster like lumbering walk. I think as they get older they realize their bodies can move each part independently. I also am thinking the kind of bobbed down waling could be DS getting ready to jump??? Any thoughts?????

#14 mumsbusycrafting

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Yes Amelia does it as well (15 months)  DH says that she is telling the fairies in her head to find another friend to go and play with.  Glad to hear that it is normal and that there are lots of fairies out there. hehe

#15 BlueTopaz

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

My son is 14 months old too and has been doing this for a while.  Now tht he is walking steadily he now looks up at the ceiling and does and falls over laughing. Nobody taught it to him and he thinks it's a hoot!  

#16 Sunnyflower

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

My 13 month old has done this since he was about 11 months. It's just one of his little quirks. He thinks it's cute (we always laugh at how silly he looks) and he does it now for attention (which he always gets!) so it all works out!

HTHs! original.gif

#17 silne

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yup, DD1 did this at about 12 months I think. She'd shake her head whenever one of us nodded though and then cackle insanely.

DH taught her to do the head shaking when she was cold (as in shivering with a funny sound) and now she only does it when she's cold. It was brilliant of him actually, as she stopped doing it all the time.

She'll still occasionally shake her head when one of us nods.

I love the spinning until they drop! DD1 does it while looking out the side of her eyes and it's just hilarious to watch. She also loves to spin in the bath on her bottom while yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

Gosh they're funny little people.

#18 Rinnie78

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

another head shaker here too, although its not so random, ive noticed she mainly does it when she is getting tired, its like she is trying to shake her head clear from sleepyness. She does it really fast from side to side.

Edited by Ryn, 06 January 2007 - 02:08 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.