Random head shaking in 14mth old?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Renoir

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi all

I was sure there was a topic here recently but have done a big search and come up with nothing - may be something to do with the new sub-headings, not sure.

In the last day or two my DS has started shaking his head from side to side.  That in itself is not a big deal except for the fact that it seems to be completely random - rather than him saying "no" or disagreeing with anything.

He will do about ten shakes and then stop and maybe do a few more, rest and do it again.  I wasn't too worried about it initially because it's not something he does all day or anything but DH has now put the fear of god in me with a whole bunch of possible scenarios.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I can't even take him to the doctor's about it because it's not something he does on command or anything.

TIA

#2 Tpe

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Both my girls have done this. Basically they have discovered that they can move there head without looking at things.  Charlotte is currently doing the shaking no just for fun and has also started to turn around and around in one spot until she is so dizzy that she falls over we have had a few big busters from that one.

It's totally normal development. I dare say that soon you'll start to see him doing a yes nod but in a very exgerated movements too.

HTH

#3 Guest_Tameika_*

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

I think its pretty normal, Imogen is going through this stage to. I think she just does it because it feels weird. She has no idea what it means and does it randomly.

#4 Flanette

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

Yep Lil Miss is a head shaker here too! Glad you asked the question though  :wink:

#5 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:43 AM

Yep - Sam does this a lot too. I actually thought it was something my brother (fooling around) had taught him to do, as he also does this funny noise while he does it.. sort of "aaahhAAAHHHaaahhhAAHHH" rolleyes.gif

#6 Renoir

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Really?  We're not alone?  I feel quite a lot better now, thank you ladies.

Still looks mighty kooky to me though.blink.gif   He just starts it up completely out of the blue.

#7 Sonara

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

My eldest dd did it for quite a while, i freaked out the first time and thought there must have been something wrong. I was told by an elderly aunt that it is a teething thing. When their mouth is sore they do it - could very well be an old wife's tale, who knows?

#8 hootymcboob

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

DD does it too. Same as you we were worried, especially bevcause of her head we thought her skull may have been putting pressure on it, but Dr said it's normal. She does the spinning around until she drops as well & most recently , hitting or punching herself in the face/head, which we hate.

#9 chocks

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

My 14 month old does it too, and I didn't think anything of it until I came across this thread.  How funny, that it's so common in this age group.   smile1.gif

#10 stefnie34

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

Abbie did this when she was a little bit younger and it really freaked me out. One evening I was drying her after a bath and when I touched her ear to dry behind it she did it, so I stopped then touched her ear again and she did it again, so I thought maybe it's something to do with her ears. I took her to the GP and he said one of her ears was blocked with fluid, and that it would drain over a matter of weeks or months. He wasn't entirely positive that was causing the head shaking but said it was definitely a possibility.

Most likely with your DS this is just a developmental thing, as pp's have said, but next time you visit your GP or MCHN might not be a bad idea to have his ears looked at.

#11 Renoir

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for the replies ladies; I feel much, much better now.  He is still doing it but now that I know he's not alone, it doesn't seem to look quite as weird.

#12 3greenhills

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

My 13 month old has just started to do this.... phew I wasnt the only worried one....glad to meet other head shakers :biggrin:

#13 Wangdiddlydooda

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

My DS has been doing this for awhile now!! Freaked me a bit at first as it was still random, we have now progressed to spinning around in one spot, walking and bobbing at the same time which kind of gives this freaky monster like lumbering walk. I think as they get older they realize their bodies can move each part independently. I also am thinking the kind of bobbed down waling could be DS getting ready to jump??? Any thoughts?????

Sarah

#14 mumsbusycrafting

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Yes Amelia does it as well (15 months)  DH says that she is telling the fairies in her head to find another friend to go and play with.  Glad to hear that it is normal and that there are lots of fairies out there. hehe

#15 BlueTopaz

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

My son is 14 months old too and has been doing this for a while.  Now tht he is walking steadily he now looks up at the ceiling and does and falls over laughing. Nobody taught it to him and he thinks it's a hoot!  

Mum2buster

#16 Sunnyflower

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

My 13 month old has done this since he was about 11 months. It's just one of his little quirks. He thinks it's cute (we always laugh at how silly he looks) and he does it now for attention (which he always gets!) so it all works out!

HTHs! original.gif

#17 silne

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yup, DD1 did this at about 12 months I think. She'd shake her head whenever one of us nodded though and then cackle insanely.

DH taught her to do the head shaking when she was cold (as in shivering with a funny sound) and now she only does it when she's cold. It was brilliant of him actually, as she stopped doing it all the time.

She'll still occasionally shake her head when one of us nods.

I love the spinning until they drop! DD1 does it while looking out the side of her eyes and it's just hilarious to watch. She also loves to spin in the bath on her bottom while yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

Gosh they're funny little people.

#18 Rinnie78

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi
another head shaker here too, although its not so random, ive noticed she mainly does it when she is getting tired, its like she is trying to shake her head clear from sleepyness. She does it really fast from side to side.

mandy

Edited by Ryn, 06 January 2007 - 02:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.