Pet Loss Grief Support

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 Charri36

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Well the time has come to say goodbye to our guinea pig 'nibbler'. He's off to the vets at 615 WST, to be euthanased, Adorable little man has bought so much joy into our lives, so sad that he has to go. He's been sick for a week, and has a repository infection, been on antibiotics but it's not helping, he's not eating or drinking anymore and has lost 300gms since sat, so now only weighs 500 gms, he bloated an oviously in alot of pain, I took him back to the vets this morning, they gave him 2 injections ( anti - inflammatory and antibiotics). The vet said we could euthanase him this morning but I know the kids will want to say goodbye.....

So initially said  I'd bring him in tomz, I hate watching him suffer, I've been crying all morning, gosh I'm a 38 y/o lady who's a blubbering mess all over a guinea pig. I hate making the decision to have him put down, but I don't seeing him suffer, 8 for a guinea pig is very very old, so I know he's had a long life..I can't let him go through another night of pain though. So rang the vet and got a late appointment I'm going to miss his cuddles and nuzzles. I don't know how to upload pictures, sorry for the bad grammar, I just can't think properly at the moment. My kids are 17 and 14, they were 6 and 9 when we got them, they will be extremely upset when they find out he's gotten alot worse today....
cry1.gif

#52 joy07

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

RIP my beautiful old girl. I can't stop the tears and am a total mess and I had her put down yesterday. I feel so guilty and empty and sad. I know she had a great life and 17.5 for a medium sized dog is a great age.

But doesn't matter how much I tell myself that or how much I tell myself that she really was tired and I know the last 3 days she got more tired and just walked for hours getting exhausted and then would pass out in bed for a couple of hours and then start all over again.  She went off her food for 1 day and wasn't fussed the day before, but now I don't think it was because she didn't want to eat, but that it hurt to eat.

I missed her annoying bark this morning.  The 3 or so barks she would give when she thought it was time for us to get up, I actually thought I heard one bark this morning. Which made me break down again.

I wasn't able to train this very smart dog to not bark. She loved barking.  Barking to say "time to get up and say hello".  Barking to say "I think it is dinner time, just in case you forgot".  Barking to say "I finished dinner an hour ago, its time to come inside to see if anyone has dropped food and then for cuddles and settling down in front of the tv" and barking to say hi or play with me.

She loved her barking communication so much I was able to get her to talk on queue.  Speak, I would say and she would do her  3 barks.  Say hello and she would bark once or twice. Who's there? and she would go into wild barking and look at me and run to the front door.

She didn't bark for the 3 days before I had her put down yesterday and apart from many other signs, this was another confirmation it was time.  She kept snuggling into me and leaning her tired head on my leg and the last few days gave me a tiny little gentle loving lick.  She wasn't a licking dog, only when I needed comforting she would give me her special lick.

I love you girl and always will.

#53 Mrs305

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm so sorry for all your losses. I've been reading the posts, looking at the pictures - it's made me cry (for the 4th time this morning). I just lost my little Lhasa Apso Coda last Friday night. We were forced to put her down after a drowning incident at the dog beach on Thursday (in shallow waters sad.gif ). She was alive for almost 2 days after but had no ability to breathe without being inside an oxygen tent. Her lungs were so damaged by the secondary drowning. I keep thinking of when I pulled her out of the water and first noticed how lifeless she suddenly was, and later of the life fading from her when the needle went in at the vet, how it was bittersweet to say goodbye to my little friend who, on the one hand would no longer be suffering and heaving heavily to breathe, but on the other hand who I knew I would never see again, never hear again.

DH and I have cried every day since we said goodbye. We have other pets but it doesn't make it any easier as I really feel such overwhelming pain, like my chest has a gaping hole in it. There's no other way to describe it. And the sadness comes in waves, and usually unexpectedly. One minute I can laugh and be normal, the next I can feel the 'wave' coming on and I'm a mess for a few minutes. I just let the pain flow through as it needs. No point trying to suppress it as it's all part of a grieving process and it has to be dealt with naturally.

I'll always remember my little independent Coda or "Boossa" as we would call her.

Coda, you will forever be treasured and remembered by Mummy and Daddy hheart.gif Rest in peace, sweet little girl.

#54 joy07

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Mrs305 @ 06/12/2011, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm so sorry for all your losses. I've been reading the posts, looking at the pictures - it's made me cry (for the 4th time this morning). I just lost my little Lhasa Apso Coda last Friday night. We were forced to put her down after a drowning incident at the dog beach on Thursday (in shallow waters sad.gif ). She was alive for almost 2 days after but had no ability to breathe without being inside an oxygen tent. Her lungs were so damaged by the secondary drowning. I keep thinking of when I pulled her out of the water and first noticed how lifeless she suddenly was, and later of the life fading from her when the needle went in at the vet, how it was bittersweet to say goodbye to my little friend who, on the one hand would no longer be suffering and heaving heavily to breathe, but on the other hand who I knew I would never see again, never hear again.

DH and I have cried every day since we said goodbye. We have other pets but it doesn't make it any easier as I really feel such overwhelming pain, like my chest has a gaping hole in it. There's no other way to describe it. And the sadness comes in waves, and usually unexpectedly. One minute I can laugh and be normal, the next I can feel the 'wave' coming on and I'm a mess for a few minutes. I just let the pain flow through as it needs. No point trying to suppress it as it's all part of a grieving process and it has to be dealt with naturally.

I'll always remember my little independent Coda or "Boossa" as we would call her.

Coda, you will forever be treasured and remembered by Mummy and Daddy hheart.gif Rest in peace, sweet little girl.

You poor things.  My heart breaks for you. I never thought of a dog maybe drowning, that is tragic.  My girl was old and bit by bit things were starting to break down on her.

I do know what you mean about the life fading from them when the vet sends them off to cross Rainbow Bridge.  It is heart wrenching.  Even though you know it is for the best for your little friend, the decision and having to put them down hurts so so much.

Certainly allow yourself to grieve in what ever way it happens. I totally understand your description of grief and crying and the gaping hole. They will always own a huge piece of your heart.  I miss my girl so very much and am glad I have a couple of other pets too, I think it helps, even though it doesn't feel like it at the time.

I am going to quote something here, it will make you cry, but I like to believe in it because it helps a tiny bit.  I also have a great place to help your through the grief by sharing it with many others who totally understand. So PM me if you wish to know.

I have bolded a special couple of paragraph that help me. hugs.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent;
Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet,
so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

#55 feral strawberry

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

We had our beautiful girl Elly (cat) put to sleep today  cry1.gif She would have been 11 in April. She has moved many time with us including intstate and has seen us add 3 babies to our family. You do forget how much the loss of a family pet hurts. She is our first family pet we have lost and i miss her already.

Last week i watched her walk inside and looked like another cat. She had sudden massive weight loss, her fur was oily and unkept and she was very lathargic. I took her to the vet on Sat who said she her stomach was full of tumors and most likely was in her kidneys also as she was very dehydrated despite still drinking. She said the best thing was to for her to be PTS sad.gif The vet gave her some fluid and i said i would bring her in on Mon sad.gif

I took her home and we spent the rest of the weekend with her but she really wasn't herself. She had a blank stare, wasn't intersted in cuddles and spent most of the time wanting to be alone laying in the bath. I started questioning if we were making the right decision but after seeing her barely move all weekend and having a few accidents around the house i knew it was. She wasn't as bad as she could have been but she was making whiney noises so i guess she was in pain. I watched my parents try to keep their dog alive longer than they should have and didn't want to get to that point.

DH and i took her to the vet this morning. It was so very quick. The needle was just in her arm and she was gone  cry1.gif She never struggled. I miss my girl already and feel so sad for my boy cat.

She is home again buried in one of the spots she used the always lay in.

I always loved the orange fleck on her forehead <3

Edited by Wild Strawberry, 16 January 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#56 Chelli

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Oh Wild Strawberry, I absolutley feel your pain at the moment. cry1.gif

Yesterday morning my beautiful dog Holly was tragically run over and died in DH's arms. She was over 10 years old but still so full of life and energy, and this has come as such a shock cry1.gif We have all cried and cried and today has seen more of the same sad.gif We found Holly when we lived in WA as she had been abandoned. We loved her instantly and have done so for the 10 years we've had her. She has been around longer than my youngest two DD's and my eldest DD is just devastated as Holly was like her best friend. I am so grateful we're on school holidays because none of us would be able to funciton, it's hard enough for DH to do it.

RIP Holly - part of our family from December 2002 - 16 January 2012
Loved forever

#57 feral strawberry

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Chelli  cry1.gif I'm so sorry about Holly sad.gif How are you going?

I can't imagine what a shock it must be. I at least had 1.5 days to prepare me for what was going to happen (although i wasn't prepared at all  cry1.gif ) and i knew she wasn't in a good way a few days prior. I'm sure Holly knew she was loved but it doesn't make it any easier. You had your girl for about the same time we had ours. We got Elly in August 02 and she passed on the same day as your girl  cry1.gif

Elly going really knocked me. I cried everytime i thought about her for 2 days (and i'm not an emotional person). Last night i was reading some sites about coping with the loss of a pet and it suggested putting a photo album together. I have gone through all my pics up until 2008 and i am going to put them in an album. I will also write a letter to her about what i will miss. It's been quite healing and brought back lots of good memories. She really had a great life and was so loved. My boys are loving looking at the pics also.

I also know i want to get another cat so have been researching breeds. Not ready for another cat atm but i want a friend for my boy as he seems lost without her sad.gif

#58 Chelli

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I hope you're doing ok too Wild Strawberry. I'm sure even with a little time to say goodbye, it would in no way ease the pain. sad.gif

Things have been sad here for the last week, but we're getting there. I still think I can hear her bark, and I haven't been able to bring myself to clean out her dog kennel or anything like that. The hole she dug under one of my plants where she used to lie in my garden on a hot day is still there and I can't bring myself to cover it in. Like you, I've been (secretly) researching places with other dogs but nowhere near ready yet. My other dog Joey seems so lost and hasn't left our side. It's comforting to have him around, but made me sad when he heard a dog barking on tv and ran out to the garage to look for Holly cry1.gif

I've been lucky with family and friends being really supportive as they knew what a big part of our life Holly was. My eldest DD has started a journal and writes to Holly every day. I think that's helping her with the grieving process.

#59 lovingmother

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

yesterday at 11am my big boy lucky came inside not able to walk and falling every step he made, my heart stopped and picked him up ran to the car and tried to find miss sugar in the BIG back yard I found her picked her up and tried to find a vet open in Canberra on good Friday with no luck went to my parents place thank god the big boy was fine, but I pull up and my little girl sugar does the same but is not pulling out we find one vet about 30mins or more drive we get to go in the car but sadly it's to late before we even get in the car she passed away. my 6 year old has lost a best friend I've lost a snuggle bug and my lucky dog has lost his follower.

It was a baby brown snake that got them it was just on the face for my big boy but miss kill everything she ate it's head off, Miss lucky was at the vet for 24 hours but is home now and very sad and lost.

Edited by lovingmother, 07 April 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#60 ali27

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

so sorry OP. I'm sure your darling girl will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. Treasure your memories.

#61 ~Mintie~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Last week, Friday 18th we lost our beautiful dog Matilda (Tilly). We don't know what happened, we never will. It was the hottest day on record in our area, so she was kept inside until 5pm. With shade and water outside, we went in and bathed the kids and got dinner. We then went to go drag her inside (she loved watching our new chickens in their coop and it's hard to get her back inside!) and there she was, laying still on the grass. We suspect she passed quickly, perhaps her heart gave in, perhaps something like a snake bite, but we couldn't go through with an autopsy because we didn't want her messed with. She was never a healthy dog, so we didn't think she'd live as long a life as other dogs, but she was just 3.5yrs sad.gif . I wish we had answers, but it won't bring her back. I still can't get the image of her in the backyard out of my head. And now, my 2.5yr old son comes to me with sad eyes, saying "Tilly's gone, Tilly's gone". It breaks my heart.
Tilly, you were the silliest dog I've ever had. Your snoring sh*t me to tears and you were such a clutz but we loved you so much, and miss you terribly. You were the baby we got when we'd been TTC for almost 2yrs and were beginning to wonder if we'd end up childless. You brought us so much so much joy and happiness, and we'll miss you for as long as we will remember you - forever.
I hope you have found your buddy Charlotte and are causing mischief at Rainbow Bridge. Here is an old siggie with Tilly and Owen:

#62 Chelli

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Mintie. Tilly was beautiful.

#63 lovingmother

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss of Tilly, I know it can be very hard as Tilly was so young I've been there just last year.  bbighug.gif

#64 password123

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

I just wanted to acknowledge the passing of my beloved staffy Trevor on Thursday 7th Feb 2013.  It hurts too much to go into details and I am still in denial but I need to put it out there as a sign of enormous respect for my darling boy.
Trevor was 8 years old. I adopted him as a puppy that no one wanted when i worked in the clinic at the RSPCA. I first saw him when he came through to be desexed and microchipped, and I was smitten. He suffered anxiety that was getting worse. I had to make a decision and I feel a huge amount of guilt about it. I wish I could have been as strong an owner as Jellyblush is, but I didn't have it in me anymore.
Rest in peace my darling sweetheart. I will see you again and the sun will be shining, not a storm cloud in sight.

#65 morgansacre

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

Our cat Shadow was pts on Thursday 13th June, after nearly dying from a serious illness 4 years ago, she was never the same, she had unexplained symptoms, that were treated individually. But after 4 years, I think she had had enough, she went down hill so fast, that we thought it would be kinder to let her have her wings.

While DD and I were putting her things away yesterday we kept expecting to see or feel her nuzzling up to us, wondering what we were doing....DD says sometimes she can still hear her bell...

Sweet dreams Shadow  cry1.gif wub.gif  

Lynn

#66 lamarque

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Big hugs Lynn.  Shadow looked very regal.  sad.gif

#67 morgansacre

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Thank you. Yes she was always boss of the house, even over other pets. This is more of her, getting what she wanted...she was cold so I made her a sleeping bag, which she loved...

Lynn

#68 gina70

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am very sorry for your loss of Shadow.  She was a beautiful girl.

#69 CharliMarley

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

My DH has just driven down to the Vet to put one of our beloved border collies to sleep. She hasn't had much quality of life for quite a while now as she cannot walk very well and is crippled up with arthritis and her feet are deformed and are like an L shape, as she walks or should I say shuffles on these feet and she must be in pain. She hardly comes out of her kennel anymore, so the time has come. Sheena used to talk to us in her doggy way and I am leaving the house for a while until she is buried today. I don't believe in God or heaven, but I don't know how to grieve for this lovely dog of ours.Posted Image

#70 Kimit

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

My cat was hit by a car recently and I just want to send a message out there to help with the grieving process.

He had such a distinct personality (so grumpy) however I will never forget the support he gave to me by just being there.  I have gone through some things in my life but I have never cried the way I did when I received the call.  I no longer see that as a bad thing.  I now see it as how much you were loved.

Thank you for spending your life with me.

I also want to give all my love to others out there that have gone through this process :bighug:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.