When did you baby first crawl??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Crawling Age (919 member(s) have cast votes)

What age did you baby first crawl??

1. Before 6 Months (142 votes [15.49%])

Percentage of vote: 15.49%

2. 6-7 Months (242 votes [26.39%])

Percentage of vote: 26.39%

3. 7-8 Months (183 votes [19.96%])

Percentage of vote: 19.96%

4. 8-9 Months (147 votes [16.03%])

Percentage of vote: 16.03%

5. 9-10 Months (97 votes [10.58%])

Percentage of vote: 10.58%

6. 10-11 Months (59 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

7. 11-12 Months (24 votes [2.62%])

Percentage of vote: 2.62%

8. Over 12 Months (23 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote

#1 Chelsea

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

As per request from some members please let us know what age you baby first crawled, please feel free to add any comments.

xx Chels

#2 catnat

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

Thanks to those replying! I was actually one who wanted this poll as I often hear the term 'late crawler' or 'early crawler' or whatever and wanted to see in real babies the spread of when they actually do LOL!

Thanks!

#3 mum22beautifulboys

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

my first son (now 3 years old) crawled at 5 months old and walked at 8 months but my other son riley is 6 months next week and has only rolled a few times.

#4 Guest_~Sal_*

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:54 AM

I put in 8-9 months.  That's when he started proper crawling.  However he had been commando crawling from about 5 months.  He was on wooden floor boards and so had no incentive to get up onto his knees.  One week of camping fixed that.  biggrin.gif

#5 Smurtle the Turtle

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

DS1 proper crawling at 5.5 months, DS2 proper crawling at 6.5 months

#6 Cheryl_v

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

First one started crawling just short of 9 months old.  Second one started crawling at 12.5 months.  Third one combat crawled from 6 months to 15 months, then started crawling on all fours.  Fourth one started crawling backstroke (on her back, pushing herself backwards) at around 5.5-6 months and crawling traditionally at 11 months.

All of them pretty much started walking within 3 months of learning to crawl on all fours.

#7 bluprintwil

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

Would be nice to be able to put in when each of my children crawled as each is different.

In the poll I selected 9-10mths, which was my daughter as my youngest isnt crawling as yet. No.1 son crawled earlier though, at about 8 months........and bulldozer baby son No.2 I think will crawl by 8 months at the latest as he is more then keen to take off.

#8 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

I voted 8-9 months as this was the age at which DD2 started crawling, however DD1 started crawling right on 7 months (couldn't vote twice!).

#9 Quattuor Genitrix

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Just wondering how to reply if your child walked before he crawled?

If it is still applicable DS 'bum shuffled' from the age of about 11mths then started walking by 14mths and then tried (for a week or two rolleyes.gif crawling at about 16mths.)

DD is 10.5mths old and is not doing anything! Refuses to crawl but is showing signs of a 'bum shuffle' (ie. doing 360's and slowly moving herself by going in circles..! rolleyes.gif ) I think she will follow her in her brother's footsteps....

#10 Hausfrau

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

Done. Easy for me as both of mine crawled at 5 months, it's the walking that's going to be totally different rolleyes.gif

#11 vanessa71

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

DD was commando crawling at 5 months and crawling on all fours the day before she turned 7 months!

#12 LuandLil

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hee hee I think my girls are a little on the lazy side, both crawled at 10 1/2mths.

#13 catnat

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

Thankyou so much to all of you for 'voting'.

It did confirm for me what I was already thinking and has helped a lot. Looks like 6-9 months is pretty much the most 'popular' time to crawl!

Hee hee I think my girls are a little on the lazy side, both crawled at 10 1/2mths.

LOL! My reason for first wanting a poll like this is I have a baby coming up to his first birthday (wow, how'd that happen) who is not even considering crawling or even getting into the position! Some babies just take their time more than others I suppose.

Edited by catnat, 05 November 2006 - 08:23 PM.

#14 LiLMinx

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

WOW My DD has just turned 9mths and only last week learnt to sit!  ohmy.gif  blush.gif

Dena

#15 Mishka101

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Milly has been on the road to crawling for 2 weeks now. Still going backwards, but today crawled a little forwards. The on all fours to sitting I suppose was the turning point.
She is 8.5 months.

#16 s-m

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Crawling is not a gross motor development milestone because there is such a big range of when and if babies start doing it.

My DD has been slower than average for most gross motor, rolling, crawling, walking etc. It took her until well over 2y to be able to jump both feet off the ground. But she is well ahead with speech, language and fine motor. Swings and roundabouts...

Steph

#17 cjpj

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

my baby did 360s on her tummy/sideways crawl, and bkwds  form about 8mnths,  then this week at 10mnths and 4 days   FORWARDS!!  not sure if im happy or not,  now she can see and get to what she wants but shouldnt touch,  time for mega baby proofing.

not sure if lilys crawling a bit delayed, as she had very little tummy time, pre 6mths, due to reflux,   not that i was too stressed,  gave me a few extra months original.gif

poll  a good idea,   now,  wheres the poll for talking,  im sure my girl was BORN talking!!!

#18 Shainala

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Both my girls started crawling at 8 months.

#19 JAZZJESSALEX2007

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

biggrin.gif my baby alexander crawled at 10 mths late crawler
he turns one on the 16th november big party
he's only little but is full of smiles.

#20 threelittlekittens

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

My eldest crawled by 10.5 months and my youngest has only just started properly crawling at 13 months although he has been commando crawling from about 11 months.  He rolled and sat up 'late' as well.

#21 **Jilly**

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:06 PM

DD crawled at 8months to the day!!!
Yay as she has been crawling backwards for 2 months now, I thought she was NEVER going to 'get' it!
I don't think it matters too much as you don't walk around with a sign on your head saying - 'I crawled at ___ months' or 'I walked at __ months'!! How many people do you know who never crawled or walked???

#22 Bellamyn

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

My DD started about 6mths & a bit months!

Just the cutest thing to see!

I have 2 friends who's babies walked before they crawled!!

#23 ~dam'sgirl~

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

Hi all my DS started crawling at exactly 7 months. He was commando crawling from i think 6 months.
And now he is trying to walk as crawling is to slow for him. biggrin.gif
Where has my baby boy gone.

#24 ~cackleberry~

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

I voted 8-9 mths old as Caitlin just started crawling this week.  She was commando crawling from 6 mths old and doing the occassional crawl, but only this week started to crawl on all fours all the time.

My DS#1 was 12 mths old, DS#2 11 mths old and my DS#3 9 mths old.

#25 Guest_Lush_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

Jebadiah first crawled at 13mths & 1 day..which was YESTERDAY!!  biggrin.gif

he hasn't stopped today & he's very proud of himself too LOL..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.