Tips for travelling with children

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 stripedgiraffe

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

We took DS to the UK at 5months - after taking him out of the bassinet the first time the seatbelt sign came on (as PP said, RIGHT as he had gone to sleep!) he screamed for 40 mins and instantly stopped when we could put him back again.  So DH had a chat to staff and said we would take full responsibility for anything happening but we were NOT taking him out again.  We didn't have any major turbulence and I did hold my hand between his head and the wall a few times, but don't be afraid to ask / tell them - it was much nicer for everyone on the plane to leave him in.  (This was 3 years ago, may depend on who you are flying with and any bad experience individuals may have had).

#27 peasandcorn

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

For each flight we go on, we first check www.seatguru.com and then request the best seating that would suit us, we have not been let down yet!  It makes the trip a whole lot more comfortable if you are aware of where you'll be sitting and how much space will be around you.  

We wrap the kid's toys up in wrapping paper so it takes them a while to get it open first. wink.gif  Even the crayons get wrapped up!  The kids love opening them and it keeps them occupied for longer.

#28 unwind

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi Cau, thanks for that website link. Just a few questions.. how and when do I request seating?

Any other time I've flown, I've just been allocated to a seat. However now with a 2 year old, I think it would be great to be organised and know where we will be seated.

Thanks

#29 ingrid74

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

Just had to comment about taking a car seat on the plane. We just returned from Germany with a 2 year old and 3 month old. We also took 2 year olds car seat on the plane as we knew we would need it in Germany anyway (staying with family). It was great on the plane as she slept much more soundly and comfortably. Same problem as PP poster mentioned though. Make sure you have preapproval and stand your ground if they question you. No different than putting it in a car. We were also lucky that we had the bulkhead just behind business class with the bassinet and plenty of room. If u book early enough request these seats.
Another new thing they have only recently introduced is that with the bassinet, the baby can stay in it if they are on the ground with turbulence. We found it worth while to just start with the bassinet on the ground so bubs didnt have to be disturbed at all. Take a bit of extra padding for the bottom of the bassinet though as its the the most comfortable thing for bubs.

#30 mapleleaf

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

I do the following with my BD9 when flying long distance ie Perth - Canada.

1. Pack a spare change of clothes and undies. Also travel tissues, babywipes and hand sanitiser.

2. She wears a nighttime pull up just in case we encounter turbulance and she is busting for a wee and has an accident ( hasn't happened yet but she feels more "secure" ).

3. She takes her DS ( with headphones! ), a book, a puzzle book and a colouring book and some pencils.

4. I always pack snacks for her.

5. We normally pick a window seat so she can sleep propped against the wall but we have pre-booked aisle seats for our next flight so that we don't need to climb across fellow passengers every 30 minutes. We have also pre-booked seats that are close to the toilet.

6. I have a child safety strap that attaches from her wrist to my mine for when we are rushing through a busy crowded airport ( this is a godsend, both she and I feel much more comfortable knowing we can't become seperated and lost ).

7. We take her favourite teddy bear with a luggage tag tied around it's neck with our Australian contact details and the promise to refund the postage if whoever finds can post it back to Aus for us .

8. The trip is much easier if they have their own tv screen!

#31 amelie_poulain

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

We've just returned from a trip with our 2 year old to Canada. A few tips that I learned while away:

- a take away coffee cup and lid make a great standby sippy cup

- "cleaning" is a game that can be done anywhere. Use a wipe and "clean" everything around you... window, armrest etc etc

- Portable DVD player with Playschool is a godsend for when you have done the priority boarding and are waiting for the rest of the plane to board and the pre-take off taxi-ing (can go for up to 20 mins)

#32 luey08

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

If you have a toaster in your room or have bought a toaster the  toaster bags from 'bakeliner' enable you to make ham and cheese toasties in your toaster or reheat pizza etc.  very very compact but may save you $$$$.  

SARD wonder soap is a must.  Is great for handwashing and because it is a cake of soap I know I felt more comfortable  travelling with it instead  of a ziplock bag of white and blue powder rolleyes.gif . Is great to 'pretreat stains iwth too if you can't wash immediatel.  It is so compact to take with you as well.

#33 JustSmileAndNod

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

Go when they are babies, before they can crawl, is my advice!! We are too scared to travel now with a 3.5 yr old and an 18 mth old. We went with a 4 month old and it was perfect (except for the vomiting / reflux)

#34 tadpole-bean

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

The ergo is gold. Our 6 month old was in it most of the time. But when our 3.5 year old got tired in he would pop in and out came the ring sling for the baby.

We had a small A4 doc pouch with
1. some slim mini paperbooks (eg where's wally, mr men)
2. crayons
3. stamps
4. stickers
5. bubbles
6. balloons
7 activity book

This lasted 6 weeks easily
Baby had a rattly toy and "tag" book to scrunch and feel.

Travel light. Between the 4 of us we had one humungous checked duffle on wheels (100 L), one cabin bag, one ergo baby and one mostly walking toddler. It made travel easy and delightful.

#35 ~Jam~

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

we flew to Canada last year with DS1 then 4.5 and DS2 then 22 months. One of the best things we took on board was their own pillows. They both settled to sleep so easily using them.

Oh and for long haul, try and take a late afternoon flight for the longest leg. (we did Fiji to LA at night). Both boys slept for virtually the entire flight.

As another PP said, "prepare for and expect the worst" and you may just be pleasantly surprised!

#36 kazzamama

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

We just got back from 2 weeks in Singapore/Malaysia with DDs 4 months  and 2 years. Before we left, I scoured the sites for tips. There were  lots of good ones, but here are the best things we did/brought:

-BUBBLE WRAP! Our toddler loved this so much! Doesn't matter if you lose  it, most people have some lying around, can get more from any post  office. We were woken most mornings with "bubble wrap please!" from her.  It was fantastic on the plane or at restaurants to keep her quietly busy.
-There are lots of toddler-friendly apps for iphones. DH downloaded a  few while we were gone and they were fantastic, as well as family pics  on the iphone.
-We splurged a little on a 2-bedroom hotel room (like an apartment, not 2  separate hotel rooms) that provided breakfast. Made sleep time and  mornings so much easier!
-I made an 'eye-spy bag' (or you can buy one - easy to find online) to  introduce to her on the trip - this might hold the attention of an older  child/toddler a bit better - DD liked it but didn't spend too long with  it.
-small tubs of playdough with a few little cookie cutters
-DD is crazy about Peppa Pig - I bought a little box of 6 peppa books, that make a puzzle with the back covers. 2 activities in 1!
-balloons to blow up as needed
-little bottle of bubble juice - the ones you get at parties or weddings are great.
-Sard wonder stick - you apply it on stains and it keeps them from  setting until you can wash the clothes - up to 7 days. Worked a treat.
-It was so nice to travel with DD2 before she can crawl or eat solids - so much easier than it will be in a few months!
-We brought a harness/leash backpack for DD1, something I once said I would never do, but it was so nice to let her walk without worrying about losing her. Still kept an eye on her, of course, but she was happier with the illusion of freedom, and it was a convenient way to carry a few toys for the day.
-We had low expectations of activity levels - we took it much easier than we would have if we had been on our own. Our hotel had lots of kids activities and we took advantage of local playgrounds. We didn't often venture far from the hotel - in this way we generally avoided having a whiny, tired toddler, and were able to feel somewhat rested ourselves.

Happy travels!

Edited by kazzamama, 22 February 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#37 kayem

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Any ideas for help kids with ear problems when the flight descends? My kids have had a hard time, and want to know what others have used to make things easier?

#38 MummaDiva

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have used a eucalyptus inhaler for my DDs with some degree of success.  I also recommend a good dose of panadol.  Chewing gum works for kids a little older.
The best thing though is timing a feed with the descent.  Not always successful in my case, but the sucking action seems to be a great soother.

Edited by MummaDiva, 18 March 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#39 3_for_me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

kayem I am not sure how old your kids are but eucalyptus lollies to suck or the little sachets with eucy oil in them(the flight attendants often have these on board) make a big difference

#40 MummaDiva

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (kittenlips @ 21/02/2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone tell me what they did when formula feeding. I will be travelling to the UK in May with my 9 mth old who is FF. Did you take pre-sterilised bottles onboard with pre-sterilised water and the powder separately? Or did you make up some bottles ready? How did you sterilise stuff onboard? I take it you are allowed to take Formula onboard a plane? Help please any tips would be gratefully appreciated!!

Premade formula and water for infants are allowable, but you do need to declare and have them inspected.

On a long haul flight, I simply took three bottles and a six pack of premade S26.  Premade formula can be given at room temperature - make sure that your baby is used to room temp feeds, though, or the bottle may be refused.  By 9 months, you probably don't need to be sterilising bottles religiously, you can just get the FA to wash out the bottle, or if you are worried, take a few extra nipples and just have the bottles / necks washed out and reused.

On a short haul flight, I would take half a bottle of sterilised water, and asked the FA to add boiling water to the right mark - that way the bottle isn't boiling hot and is easier to handle.  Make sure you ask for the water a little while before it is actually going to be needed.  I use the formula sticks - they are just easier and cleaner and not as bulky as a whole can.  Turbulence and a wriggly baby can mean that they get spilt, so make sure you have a few more than you will actually need.

Always plan for a few more feeds than you think you are going to need - planes can be really dry and uncomfortable for babies, and delays can mean that you don't get to places in the amount of time you had planned.

#41 3_for_me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Still very relevant of course mummadiva but I was just curious if you realised that post you responded to was 4 years old? original.gif

#42 kayem

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'm sorry I should have mentioned that my children are older, 8 and 9 years old - I was talking to them about it and they weren't too fussed but I know from our last trip o'seas they were really tense and upset because of it.

Is it the chewing motion that makes the difference..

#43 3_for_me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Chewing never helped me much, it's the eucalyptus oil which helps keep your sinuses open.  Alot of the pain can actually come from your sinuses.

Personally as a grown up person(not necessarily suggested you drug your kids Tounge1.gif ) I always take a cold and flu tablet before I fly to help ensure I am not congested and I travel with some of those vicks vapor lollies

#44 deckd19

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Nice post. It is a very informative post. Thanks everyone to share yours views.

#45 adl

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

My GF is about to do 27hr long haul w a 6mo, so thanks mummadiva your tip was spot on re FF and what to do

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.