Tips for travelling with children

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Jiminy

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

Feel free to share your hints and tips on how to make travelling with children easier original.gif.

#2 KB46

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Practical:
* Pre-pack a rectangular toiletries bag with a couple of nappies and the other bare essentials for a nappy change. That way it's ready when you need it. Make sure you pack extra nappies in your carry-on just in case.

Entertainment:
* Crayola make packs of 'magic pens' and paper. The pens have ink that won't mark anything but the special paper.

Personal:
* Prepare yourself mentally for the worst case scenario/s you can think of, eg. delayed on the tarmac pre-takeoff with child in dirty nappy and nazi flight attendant who refuses to let you take your seatbelt off to change them. That way when you land you will be able to say "That went so well!".

* If you're travelling alone with kids, let the flight attendants know and don't be afraid to ask for their help, eg. to watch a sleeping child while you take a pit stop, or to put your meal aside until later while you help your children eat theirs.

#3 ~*hiptobesquare~*

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

Found this website when surfing the net.
lists all appropriate places to stay with kids.

www.holidayswithkids.com.au

#4 KB46

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

Here's another website

Out and About With Kids

Kylie

#5 megan00

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

We've travelled extensively with our twins, they are two and a half and have already been to many countries and camping in S.Aust.  Our first trip we packed way too much stuff!!!!  My suggestions are...
If travelling with a baby, learn how to safely bedshare with your baby (it can be done), and leave the enormously bulky travel cot at home.
There are disposable, multi-use bags designed to sterilise 2 bottles at a time if you have access to a microwave. (a godsend for those who aren't able to breast feed)
Flights with seat back entertainment units are worth every cent.
If you can afford it, consider buying a seat for your baby.
Check in very early
Pack mountains of patience, (for you, your partner, your chil(ren) and for the harried airline staff)
Enjoy it.

Edited by megan00, 27 April 2007 - 11:00 AM.

#6 Grubster

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

We've just returned from a trip to Europe with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. The 2 most successful entertainers on the plane were small tubs of Playdough (both boys loved this) and our 2 year old loved a Klutz/Chicken Socks threading book - occupied him for ages. Best advice: expect the worst; hope for the best!

#7 Guest_FancyPants_*

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

I bought a Nintendo DS for DS (5YO) recently. It was an absolute absolute godsend, espeically at airports. We spent 6 hours in a very small airport with NOTHING to do. Nintendo saved our lives  laughing2.gif .

Book a plane where you can have your own TV. (EG Singapore)

#8 karen69

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

I have seen a great site called www.mytravelangel.com that quite a few of my friends have already used. I think it is pretty new.

#9 Blizz

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

Other practical things to bring on a flight:
- spare clothes for bub, yourself and partner (vomits / nappy explosions DO happen!)
- plastic bag / wetbag for dirty clothes
- blue tag and a piece of cloth (e.g. muslin wrap) to shield the bassinette from the cabin lights
- balloons to play with at airport (don't take up any space, are cheap and fun and you can leave them behind)
- bubble blower. Most kids are fascinated by bubbles. Cheap and non-mess entertainment. If you get the wedding ones, they are small enough to get through the 100ml liquid screening
- if FF: bring more formula than you think you'll need (we found we needed two extra 'comfort' bottles on our 24-hour trip)
- order a special meal (e.g. vegetarian or gluten free) for one parent. That way there is always one parent who has hands free for the bub during meal time
- snack trap (to make sure all those sultanas or cheerios don't go everywhere)
- plenty of little snacks
- Panadol / Otrivin / Calm or Phenergen - we didn't use it but it felt good to be prepared

Lessons learnt:
- triple confirm the bassinette for an infant under 2 years
- not all flight attendants will be helpful
- be prepared for MANY walks up and down the aisles
- the baby needs to be taken out of the bassinette whenever the fasten seatbelt sign comes on. This always happens when (s)he is just asleep sad.gif
- it can help to (friendly) ask the flight attendant if the seatbelt sign is still needed after turbulence has stopped. Sometimes they seem to leave it on just to keep people in their seats
- try and wear the kids out before you board by letting them run around etc. It might help them sleep.
- mentally prepare yourself to have no time to yourself whatsoever and to get no sleep at all - that way, if you do get some, it's a bonus original.gif
- if possible, have someone lined up upon arrival who can baby-sit so you can catch some shut eye

#10 danandtomsmum

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

We go on planes quite alot and for the long hauls my husband and I share the parenting rosters, so that one of us gets some sleep for at least some personal down time.
we ALWAYS take small toys/cards/books in a little bag for each child (with some new cheap op shop little plastic people/animals etc) that a child old enough can make up little games with (doesnt cost much and the 'new' things keep them entertained.
DONT give your kids loads of sugary food on a flight. keep it simple and they wont be so 'high' in a strange cramped environment.
encourage lots of water drinking if in the air
DEF take a baby carrier for each of you (if you wear sized ones) OR one that can be adjusted so that the parent who normally carries a baby most of the time doesnt get burdened with doing all the carrying up and down the aisles. we took a ring sling and an ERGO and on the last trip to Hong Kong - but only used the ERGO in the end and shared it (we have two but only took one figuring we wouldnt need them both. another family borrowed our ring sling and at the airport we loaned it out too!! original.gif strangers too!!!
take AT LEAST 3 changes of clothes for each small person (and a few for each adult Just in case!! original.gif )
be prepared to be flexible. it's hard work!!!
if you are planning a long trip - and still breastfeed, DONT WEAN before you leave!! Gee those boobs help on the plane if you can keep your feeding up. i had loads of older women commenting to me last flight how glad they were to see my feeding an older baby for comfort and food.

#11 2littlekiddies

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

We just got back from a trip to Thailand for my DH's brothers wedding.  I was a bit nervous about taking our daughter but it all worked out fine.

One thing I would like to pass on is seating.  We found the best spot for seating was right at the back of the plane where the seating starts to thin out on the sides.  On the window side the seating goes from a 3 seater to a 2 seater and the 1st 2 seater has quite a bit of room next to the window.  Our DD slept on the floor in this area quite comfortably with a pillow and a blanket.  There also tends to be spare seats (if not completely booked out) at the back of the plane and on the way over DD slept between 2 seats with the arm rest up.

The food they serve for toddlers isn't quite the best.  Unless you have a toddler who will eat ANYTHING, it is best to take on some food sealed up for the trip just as long as you don't take it off the plane they will allow it for children.

The experience of travelling overseas is definitely worth it with a toddler.  Especially when they hardly cost a thing to get there and back.

Also would like to add that when we were in Thailand, we never needed to book a babysitter as the staff at our resort looked after her when we had our dinner or had a swim.  And DD LOVED all the attention. It was a great holiday for all of us.

#12 rainbow4

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

For travelling on long car trips a portable DVD player is fantastic! It can also be used once you reach your destination if where you are staying does not have one (or a TV).

#13 Keropi

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:54 AM

These are absolute great tips, thanks ladies, I will certainly be putting into place a few of these tips next year on our 3 month adventure.

#14 kittenlips

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Can anyone tell me what they did when formula feeding. I will be travelling to the UK in May with my 9 mth old who is FF. Did you take pre-sterilised bottles onboard with pre-sterilised water and the powder separately? Or did you make up some bottles ready? How did you sterilise stuff onboard? I take it you are allowed to take Formula onboard a plane? Help please any tips would be gratefully appreciated!!

#15 playeveryday

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Find some games to play with your child during the trip. Such as

Find Items
Give children lists of things to watch for during the drive. Children can cooperate or compete to see who can find all the items on the lists.

Guessing Game
Have one child think of a person, place, or object and keep it a secret. Have other children take turns asking yes/no questions until someone is able to guess what the secret is. The child who hold the secret has responsibility to guide the other children get close to the answer.

Adding Words Game
Following the letters of the alphabet, have one person start with A and say for instance, "My name is Anna and I am going on a trip to Africa. In my lunch box I have an apple." The next person would begin by saying, "My name is Billy and I am going on a trip to Belgium. In my lunch box I have a banana and a burger." On to the letter C. Keep adding to the number of items in that lunch box.

Opposite Word
Have one adult in the bus or car give a word and the kids give the opposite. For example, started with hot and cold, dry and wet, laugh and cry, up and down, left and right, out and in, etc. Then work the way into some hard words! This was one of my students' favorite kids travel games!

Twist Stories
Ask Children to tell a favorite tale with a twist, such as adding or substituting a strange or silly character. They might want to add an astronaut to “jack and the beanstalk,” a computer salesperson to the “Three Little Pigs,” or a talking fish to “Three Billy Goats Gruff.” Brainstorm ideas for unusual or funny characters for favorite stories. Then choose one of the characters to include on one of the stories. Then children can retell the story with the new character, making changes as needed.

True or False
Have children slap their thighs to create a rhythm, have them chant: “ Apple, peaches, pear, pie… Is it true, or is it a lie?” Then have the children take turns making true or false statements about themselves each time the chanting stops. For example, a child might say:” I gave my dog a bath yesterday”; “Today I am going to the park with my mom”; or “ my dad gave me a real bear for my birthday.” At the end of the statement, have the whole group guess whether the statement was true or false by putting their thumbs up for true and thumbs down for lie. This is one of popular kids travel games in my school.

Coin Game
Start with ten coins. Have one child conceal several coins in either right or left hand. Everyone guesses how many coins he or she has. No one can guess the same number as anyone else. Child who guesses correctly becomes next “coin concealer”.

#16 renee-becker

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Couldn't agree with PP more - the ERGO saved our lives when we travelled to Canada! NOTHING is worse than being in a busy airport with a curious and active DS and having to carry him for 4 hours while your plane is delayed  wacko.gif as happened during our previous trip!

Great for getting out and seeing places too- no need to pack/buy a stroller, and means you don't have to negotiate stairs or desecrating sacred churches with your pram wheels Tounge1.gif

#17 lcc76

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

1 question and a couple of ideas...

Question - is the Ergo big enough for the average 2 year old?  My DD can piggy back, but only with me holding her behind, and my arms get sore!!  I thought the Ergo looked like quite a good option.  How small does it go- can you roll it up?

A couple of ideas - for smaller children - we went to Thailand and Vietnam with DD when she was 3 months and then 10 months.  

At 3 months, what worked brilliantly was a small blow up toy surfboard and a blow up mini pool.  I am not joking, they took up no room, weighed nothing.  We put her on the surfboard to carry her around the airport while she was asleep (with our arms around her of course) but it meant we could put her on a table, pass her between us, and put her on the ground (with us sitting next to her).   She could also sleep in the blow up mini pool at the airport, and we used it (with bottled water) for baths.  

The biggest use for the surf board was with the bassinet on the flight - you can put it in the bassinet under the baby, and then when there is turbulence (and you have to take them out), they are on the surfboard and you are much less likely to wake them!! Nifty, hey.  

No reason why you couldn't use these techniques on an older child, of course you do need to be vigilant that they don't roll off and hurt themselves!

#18 larabelle75

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Re: Ergos, they are great for 2 year olds, but don't fold up super small, due to the padded straps and waist.  You can clip it around you waist and let it dangle down when not using it though (if doing lots of up/downs).

#19 lcc76

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, I think the Ergo sounds like exactly what i am after.  I'm going to a 'babywearing' meeting in Brissie next weekend, so hopefully someone has one that I can look at.

#20 eamber

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

Great advice.

Lots of nibbles, drinks, games and creativity

#21 jolimum

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

We have six kids! and have travelled over seas twice with the kids. I recommend more stickers than you can poke a stick at! and not toys that will roll off the tray table (learnt on 1st trip) Also since having the twins, you just can't head to an airport with a newborn unless you have a native style baby sling!!!
we also found for the todler and older kids that poppers (like sippy juice drinks with the closeable mouth piece) really helpful - as they could swallow during take off, when they are too young for gum. Mind you... we snatch them back as soon as we've taken off or you end up in the plane loo later in the trip!
lol

Edited by jolimum, 21 April 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#22 lcc76

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

We just returned from 3.5 weeks travelling around Europe with little miss two, so while it's all fresh in my mind, I thought I'd report back on what we found..

- We ended up borrowing an Ergo and it was fantastic.  We also borrowed a quicksmart stroller - which packed up small for a stroller, but wasn't much use for us at all because most of the places we went had cobblestones.  It became just another annoying thing to carry.

- We also took our car seat onto the plane, which was great because dd loves sleeping in it, but annoying again to lug around for weeks.  We only ended up using it about 5 times in cars on the whole trip.  Other than the very first flight from Brisbane, we had constant battles with airlines (we used Qantas, Cathay, and FinnAir) to reassure them that we had gone through the proper process to get the seat registered. The airline staff kept panicking that it needed to be installed by 'an engineer' who was never available! What worked best was to reassure them we had installed the seat on planes dozens of times before, offer to do it ourselves, and let their 'engineers' check it.  Strangely the engineers never appeared but everything was fine.

We also bought  2nd hand 'Video Now' from Ebay - they're apprently not sold new here anymore, but it was made for toddler hands and has a little tiny screen so the AA batteries lasted for hours and hours (I think about 5) and could easily be replaced in-flight, which made it a better option than a DVD.

Hope this helps somebody else.

#23 luvmybubs01

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

We are travelling to Thailand with a 6 month old, staying in Phuket for 5 nights and Koh Samui for 5 nights..This will be our 3 time visiting....is it worthwhile buying a stroller over there? Also I am having trouble finding a hotel in Koh Samui that offers a hotel room that can sleep more than 3 any suggestions? One more thing...what do we do about a car seat?
Thanks biggrin.gif

#24 smithy2008

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Don't overpack!! Take the essentials and be prepared but don't go crazy. Carrying too much luggage plus children is a nightmare (I talk from experience!!)

And if your baby has a dummy, buy a dummy saver that attaches to baby as you can't steralise dummy's that fall on the ground on a plane or in the airport!

And if you're breastfeeding and nervous about how close you have to sit to strangers, get a breastfeeding cover. I saw an article online a few weeks ago and bought both from www.kisskisshughug.com.au.

Pretty trendy and did the job.

#25 wideweb

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

Here is a website that has some tips.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

Edited by wideweb, 14 June 2009 - 06:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.