Question about expenses for those with older kids

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rachaelxxx

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

When do the kids start becoming really expensive.  I have a 5yo, a 3yo an 18 month old and a newborn and so far minus the food bills and clothing (which I choose to be exteme with), the major expenses are kinder and activities.

Everyone keeps saying how expensive kids are these days, but we are going to be sending the girls to a state school and that is cheaper than what my kinder fees are at the moment and then we will put each of the girls in one activity per term, so where is it that they become soooooo expensive.  

I'm not trying to imply that these little ones won't break our piggie bank, I'm just trying to work out where most of the money goes.

Rachael and her 4 little princesses

#2 donthavetv

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Its my opinion that people "over state" how expensive children are, it all comes down to making appropriate and sensible choices, and in my expereince people with big families are good at doing that.

#3 ~*Bubsy*~

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

I have to say this year and last year, with two kids in Highschool now, we are starting to feel the pinch, but its funny how you always seem to find the money when you need it, or the school is willing to let you pay in instalments original.gif
Other than that and bigger appetites, I dont think theres much difference (oh and the lovely expensive school excursions!! ohmy.gif )

#4 4lildarlins

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

Rachel, I have often wondered the same thing .. usually when deciding should I go back for another ...

My friends with older kids say it school uniforms, school requirements, camps etc. They whinge a lot over the school holidays saying it is $20 each for them to go the movies with their friends and then other trips out .. quick calc by me $80 plus inflation I do not think so LOL!!

I cried when I sat down with dh one night and told him there was no way we could ever afford a third child .......... now here we are with now one income, 4 kids, a bigger car, building a bigger house and just doing it .... somehow .....

I am no help at all in answering the question but I too am curious and wonder if it is that large family kids miss out on more material things (not saying that is a bad thing at all, give me siblings over toys anyday!!) than the small family kids do??

Edited by 4lildarlins, 22 September 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#5 donthavetv

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

I am no help at all in answering the question but I too am curious and wonder if it is that large family kids miss out on more material things (not saying that is a bad thing at all, give me siblings over toys anyday!!) than the small family kids do??

Agree !, only I wouldn't call it missing out, I think they are lucky to have siblings instead of "things".

#6 Rachaelxxx

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

I totally agree about giving them more siblings over material things, but there is no denying my girls will miss out on certain material things over other families.  My sister has 2 young girls and we've spoken about how my girls will probably get jeleous over some of the things that she will be able to afford to do with her girls and then my sister said yeah but Rach it's always so much fun at your house my girls will probably want to come and live with you where all the excitement and action is LOL.

I could imagine school holidays being pretty expensive though, especially the christmas break.

Rachael and her 4 little princesses

#7 ~Sorceress~

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

It does get more expensive. School excursions get more expensive, sports get more expensive as they need better quality equipment and/or coaching, and holidays get waaaaaaay more expensive once you start needing interconnecting hotel rooms!

I don't mind my children missing out on expensive toys and clothes, but I would feel really terrible if their education suffered sad.gif. So we pay for music lessons, swimming lessons and a couple of sports each - but when I add up what it costs us on an annual basis it is a little scary!

Edited to add that even though you may plan to send your children to state schools, children are all individuals and some of them may not thrive in the public system. You might want to make allowances for that possibility in your long term budgeting original.gif.

Edited by ViolinCuddles, 22 September 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#8 lizabelle

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

I have 4 girls at home, my son is living in Newcastle for uni now and he is pretty well supporting himself. For us it does seem to get more expensive as they get older, mostly in the way of sporting and school commitments and stuff like that. My kids go to a private school and that is always a big expense, but it is still cheaper than child care LOL.

School hols are expensive but I budget carefully, for example we get DVD's instead of going to the movies (Iget 7 weeklies for $10 and they watch them all week  wink.gif and get together with friends instead of paid outings like bowling or whatever, too expensive for us. We go to the museum, which is free, and also we have a yearly pass at the local aquarium which helps.

And yes, siblings always make up for any "missing out", my son was an only child for 7 years and he was always saying he was bored, whereas I have never heard my girls say they are bored, so in the long run they will look back on their childhood as being one big party LOL. So it all balances out, give me the big family any day  biggrin.gif

#9 donthavetv

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

lol Kristen... I didn't think of holidays because we are very lucky my dh is a travel agent !

I find Catholic school a very good option as an alternative to public school, and we get a low income discount.

I guess my approach is that whilst there is no doubt, they do become more expensive, you sort of know that is coming when you decide to have a large family, and everyone makes do.
Like a pp said... you just seem to find a way.

#10 ~Sorceress~

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

Woohoo - I vote donthavetv is in charge of compiling list of large family holiday options! LOL  biggrin.gif

I find it so frustrating that so many hotels simply don't have accommodation for a family of 6 - let alone at a reasonable price!  mad.gif And so often they suggest that you just get two rooms and they'll make sure they're on the same floor - ummm, hello, so you think I want to spend my holiday with my dh and I in different hotel rooms???  rolleyes.gif

#11 CafeCat

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

I have often wondered the exact same thing. The biggest outlay we have had for our kids so far is swimming lessons. Clothing has not been an issue as we have done very well from birthday/Christmas presents and a few healthy bags of hand-me-downs as well as their own still-in-tact clothes being handed down. School excursions and activities are starting to bite and with the realisation that we will have to outlay for three kids at school next year ... makes me wonder about the teenage years.

I do see myself back in the work force next year but to what degree I am still not sure. I know that it will be eventually a full time position as we will need that income - I hope I can hold out till the youngest is around 8 to 10yo before this happens.

Lucky for us having the latest and greatest of everything was never a high priority - I figure once our 5th child has worked over the TV, much as her sibling before her have, LCD screens should be reasonably priced  tongue.gif

#12 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

Have to agree that swimming lessons are soooo expensive. We have been having a break from them this winter. My eldest does horseriding once a fortnight and my second DD does dancing, they both go to guides which is fairly reasonable. I would love for them to learn an instrument each especially since I am a music teacher, but we can't afford it ATM. Oh, better go, the divine miss M age 11 weeks just awoke wink.gif
tigerfilly

#13 Cheryl_v

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

I've been told by parents with only one child in the school band that it's very expensive (not to mention a 7.20am start on Tuesday!) so I'm going to be steering my kids away from that.  Swimming lessons are our major expense in summer, and soccer cost roughly the same amount for the season as swimming did per term.  It really comes down to what you want your children to do and what your children want to do.  I would prefer to limit my children's activities because I don't want to overschedule them like a couple of kids I know, but I also don't want them to miss out the way I felt that I did when I was a kid.  It's a tough line to walk.

#14 donthavetv

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:07 AM

We are lucky re swimming lessons, kids from year 1 have two full weeks lessons in the last term of every year at school, and our vacation swimming lessons provided by the Govt are only $1 per lesson, so I have ditched the $14 a hour ones.

Dont know about the music, although they get good school tuition if they want it (in school time for about an extra $5 a lesson)
I am going to wait and see if any of them have an interest in music first.

#15 ~Sorceress~

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

Yes, we did school swimming lessons for a while, but the teaching was a bit erratic - one year they'd be fantastic, the other year they weren't so good. And it loses a whole week's school just for 5 hours of swimming lessons (when you calculate in the bus rides there and back, changing time etc) so our school decided to drop out of the program.

We also have music lessons available at school so all the year 2s learn violin for a year, and years 3 - 5 do recorder, but once you get to a certain standard they recommend private lessons (at $28/ half hour lesson!). But my family are pretty keen on their music (my mother's a music teacher) so good music lessons are pretty much compulsory in our house!

And the minkey sports are very reasonable, but my half yearly basketball fees for two children are now $350 plus balls, shoes, shorts and any coaching camps they sign up for. Ouch, I don't even want to start adding in cricket, martial arts and rock climbing fees or I might be tempted to get a job  blink.gif .

I am trying to make sure we don't overschedule, but it's hard when they're so keen... mellow.gif

#16 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

That's what annoys me - when you hear 'experts' banging on about how kids should be more active but it costs a fortune to play some sports. Re - overscheduling - it's really tricky isn't it - swimming I think is essential so it sort of doesn't count, all kids need to learn to swim. Then, as I said, my girls have guides, which is a social/ fun games/ craft sort of activity which they love. Then they have chosen another 'thing' each (ie horseriding DD#1 and dancing DD#2) So if I wanted them to do a team sport or music stuff as well that would be 4 or 5 things each which is not just too expensive, but way too much running around!! It's a tricky one, especially since I think some things (like sports) if you don't start young enough then you are left behind if you try to take it up later. hmmm
tigerfilly

#17 donthavetv

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

it is a pet peeve of mine actually, the cost of sports for kids, it really does not get mentioned in he scheme of "obesity discussions", the problem is the insurance, public liability is crippling us. It is also restricting he amount of sport the schools engage in...

#18 ~Sorceress~

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

Yes - it'd be nice to get some subsidies for healthy sports original.gif. Of course, netballers should have to pay extra for the knee injuries <ducking as I'm pelted with netballs>  tongue.gif .

I try reasonably hard to find sports that all the kids can do, and to schedule them together - so swimming lessons are all on at the same time (I pay extra to have the two boys in a private lesson as they're at the same level), rock climbing the boys can do together, then on the day my DD has her squad the boys can hang out there and train together (and belay her when she needs it), and while basketball's a pain this year, next year the kids will be able to train on the school premises so they'll be able to ride bikes to and from training  smile1.gif then we'll only have to drive to matches. And we car pool for martial arts with a super kind mother who doesn't mind taking my DS as company for her DD (only child) biggrin.gif .

For music lessons, I've got two able to have private lessons at school (they do a rotating timetable to the children never miss the same class lesson twice in a row) so only have to take one to his lesson each week.

#19 cathy11

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Now that my daughter is 16 , I just seem to stand in front of her with an open purse!!!!
Seriously tho..orthodontics for 4 has been a major expense in early teens, especially when i had three going at once!(thank goodness for private health cover---its more like a layby system for us!)
as for hols, we saved up 2 years worth of the child payment bonus thing(you know , the extra  $600 per child) and took the family to Fiji.it was absolutely fab so..
...we big family's are pretty special. we give our kids soooo much.the school is always saying how my children seem to care for others so well, are so willing to share, to help...
we give them love and a sense of compassion. we give them the ability to care for others .we give them a sense of responsibility. we give them all the ability to stand on their own two feet. isn't everything else just window dressing anyway?
our kids miss out on nothing important. (except some quiet lone time maybe!!) or is that just me???

#20 donthavetv

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

Perfectly said !

#21 insanemumofboyzx6

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

ive found sport being the more expensive side at present so i have told the boys they can do 1 all year around event Bradley isnt interested but Jai does Air League not too expensive 45 per year fee then subs $4pw the initial set up of uniform is expensive but not too bad as you only replace the shirt and pants as they grow out of them.  Then they have 1 winter season and 1 summer season sport.  My 2 older boys are doing T ball and in winter 1 does soccor and the other plays football.  Swimming they do through school so they still learn to swim that way and is a little cheaper on the pocket than weekly lessons.

im not looking forward to high school fees we are going to a Gov school but even then they arent cheap either. Im hoping that 2 through at a time might help ease the pain. (and i was contemplating a 5th????) im getting a little scared as its only 2 and bit years and my eldest will be there.

AS for money they get pocket money for now and as they get older it will increase until they are old enough to work.  I will still buy them their necessities but anything special or extravagant they want like designer labels etc they can save and buy themselves going to the movies with friends etc thats what their money is for.  I have a set amount for clothes each season now or else it blows the budget way out.  I think it also teaches them about the value of things and learn to enjoy the special things inlife rather than take it all as if it is owed to them.

Edited by insanemumof4boyz, 23 September 2006 - 10:45 PM.

#22 furmum

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

Hi........

Children aren't expensive.....lifestyles are !!!   wink.gif

#23 donthavetv

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

Well said.... Aren't we a wise bunch in here !!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.