Honda Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Does anyone have a Honda Odyssey and can give me pros and cons on it (hopefully lots of pros, please!)

We're in the market for a 7 seater and took a new one of these for a test drive this morning.  I like it as it's not really big and van-like, or heavy and bulky to drive.  Actually, I love the way it drives, so smooth.

DH was also very impressed, which surprised me seeing as he is a 'Holden only' man!  

We are looking at getting the luxury model too.  DH is also impressed with the heated seats and the electronic button to fold the back seats up and down, lol.

My questions are:
- do you find the boot space sufficient?
I doubt that I will ever need to put a pram in the boot and do grocery shopping at the same time, so I don't need room for both at the same time.

- I was just reading in the brochure that there are 5 child safety harness points.  The dealer showed us the 3 on the roof at the back, so where are the other 2?

- how fuel economical is it?
how much does it cost to fill up, and how many k's on average do you get out of a full tank?

- does anyone have a roof DVD player fitted aswell?
it doesn't come with one, but looking at it, it doesn't seem to have the room to fit one in along with the sunroof and aircon for the back.

- is there anything you wish it did have?

Can't think of anything else atm, hope someone can help!

#2 sebela

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

It is 6 months since we looked at the Odessy and perhaps it has changed slightly in that time but the one we looked (brand new now second hand) at was appallingly designed as far as installing car seats. I was actually quite shocked that they had done such a bad job of thinking through where to put the anchor points in a supposedly family car. The 2nd row anchor points if used rendered the seats behind either useless or at least very unpleasant to use and would also have to be undone in order to slide the 2nd row forward or back. The third row had no points at all - I think they had to be custom fitted (if that was even possible). Also you could only realisticly fit two car seats on the 2nd row for regular use. We bought a Ford Territory in the end which has the 2nd row points on the back of the seats so that they don't interfere with the third row at all and you can slide the second row around without having to change the length of the car seat teethers. The third row anchors are on the floor behind the third row seats. You can also easily fit 3 seats across the second row.

Good luck finding the right car!

#3 Kelly

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

The 2nd row anchor points if used rendered the seats behind either useless or at least very unpleasant to use and would also have to be undone in order to slide the 2nd row forward or back. The third row had no points at all - I think they had to be custom fitted (if that was even possible).

So where exactly did you see the anchor points?  I didn't think that they would've changed it much in the last 6 months, but the anchor points I saw were behind the 3rd seats, and there was 3 of them.  The book says it has 5 points so I'm wonder where the other 2 are?! Maybe you saw the 2 for the middle row?

I agree, it would only fit either 2 carseats comfortably along the middle row, and 2 carseats on the 3rd row.  That works fine for us though.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it original.gif

#4 idunno

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:11 AM

We're also looking for a 7 seater and are considering the Holden Zafira or the Honda Odyssey.  What I've found is that the following is spot on (works for Honda Odyssey too):

...probably too small if you're going to require six or seven seats every day. As a four or five seater, though, with two in reserve for friends and family, it's right on the money...

If you find anything else with 7 seats that looks promising too please post!

#5 sebela

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:59 AM

Kelly the one we saw had three points on the ground behind the second (middle) row - thus writing off the leg space of the third (back) row. I guess they might have been on the roof (it was a while ago and we wrote it off pretty quickly because of this and because DH couldn't get into it as he is 2m tall), but on the roof they would be in the rear passengers face. In a 3 row car the second row anchor points really must be mounted into the back of the second row seats or it's completley impractical to actually use all the seats. Ideally the third row should be made the same way but it's less critical as there is nonone sitting behind to be worried by points on the floor or ceiling and the third row doesn't have to slide around (thus requiring constant strap adjustment). So if you actually need 6 or 7 seats permanently  and you have to use carseats or Hstraps in two or more of those seats I would not be getting an Oddessy. We looked at the Zafira too and DH couldn't even get his legs into it so again we didn't look that closely but I seem to recall it wasn't that great for getting a lot of car seats into either. Given I intend to have my kids in carseats until they are too heavy for them (26kg) and then in Hstraps until they can safely use a normal seat bealt (about 145cm in most cars) anchor points are of great interest to me.

#6 Kelly

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for that, Sebela.  I agree the second row seating should have anchor points on the back of the seat.  I didn't check that out.  We were going to go back on Saturday arvo when we had more time, and I suggested to DH that we actually put all the carseats in with the anchors to see how it would work out.  We will need to use 2 anchors so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Jackie - I agree with that statement.  We don't plan to have any more kids after this baby so the only time the car would be full up is with extra friends or rellies tagging along.  If we had 5, or maybe even 4 kids we would look at something bigger again like the Voyager or something similar.  As it is, all 3 of my kids will still be in carseats/boosters for a while and it is very very squishy in the backseat of our Commodore atm.  Plus, we travel to and from Perth a few times a year which is a 6 hour drive each way, and it would be so much more comfortable for the kids with a bit more room rather than sitting on top of each other for that long.

Would like to check out the Zafira, but they don't have any up here atm.  If you go to carsales.com.au they have a function where you can compare the different cars next to each other.  

Still would be interested in more opinions if anyone else has one.

Thanks heaps, girls.

#7 bbk

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

Hi Kelly,

I have a 2005 Luxury Odyssey, LOOOOOVVVVEEE IT. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
or as my friends would say obsessed by it. Upgraded from a Holden as well  happy.gif

I find that i have plenty of boot space, like you posted no need for a pram and groceries as well, so i remove the pram for shopping days and if it's a really big shop, the 3rd row seats split fold for even more room.

There is 5 anchor points 3 for the centre row which are in the rear of the roof, and the other 2 are in the boot at floor level down near when the boot latch is.  We have 2 baby seats in ours one in the centre row and one in the third row.

Depending on petrol prices it can cost anywhere from $60 - $70 to fill up, it has a 65 litre tank, fuel economy is pretty good, i do alot of short trips so don't get the full fuel potential that i could average 500k's per tank, but have done so far 1 long trip and got 800k's out of that tank.

I don't have dvd player but have seen one with it fitted. It was on the roof just behind the sunroof.

Can't think of anything else i wished it had as think its perfect for us and our situation.  biggrin.gif

Hope that helps, happy to answer any other questions you may have, feel free to PM  me if you would like. happy.gif  happy.gif

Edited to add, i have sat in the third row when there has been 7 of us in the car and the strap from the babyseat in the centre row goes right over my head without a problem.

#8 Mumma3

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

We looked at these, too and decided against it for the following main reasons

1/ Centre row centre seat has only a lap seat belt.  ohmy.gif So, big reason against for us.

2/ Seat anchor straps from the middle row went right where DD would have sat if she was in the back row.

so, for us, it didn't even stay on the list for too long.

We have chosen instead to go for a Toyota Kluger AWD. We did look at the Avensis, but decided the Kluger was more versatile for our needs. (3 kids, assorted friends & family, wanted 2-3-2 seating, power to tow, car like to drive, good space & fuel economy). Actually re the fuel, the Kluger is better than our '97 Commodore which I was surprised by, too.

HTH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.