5 year old girl a drug addict
5 year old girl a drug addict

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goofy

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:06 AM

I was just reading the Daily Telegraph (Sydney paper) when I came across an article about a 5 year old girl from the Northern Territory who is a drug addict.

Her 9 year old and 13 year old sisters also smoke drugs and drink alcohol.

What on earth are these parents thinking? I can't believe that anyone let alone a parent would allow this to happen in their home.

In the article the case is being investigated by the Northern Territory Family and Children's services department. It doesn't actually mention anything about the parents.

What I can't believe is that if the 5 year old doesn't get a cigarette or her drugs she throws a tantrum until she does.

I just can't put together the words of how unbelievable this whole thing is..

What are your thoughts??

Michelle
DH - Marc

[color=orange] Est Due Date: 28th September 2004

http://lilypie.com/days.php?e=040928&m=0&s=14]

#2 Silvercat

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:28 AM

What on earth are these parents thinking?

That the trouble, they don't think! It's a disgusting state of affairs. :mad:

Regards
Donna
DH Gary
DS Ethan 05/01/04

www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/poobear

#3 petrie

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:06 AM

That's completely shocking! It's so unbelievable I have to ask... was it yesterday's paper by any chance??? Tell me it's an April Fool joke please!

petrie
dd Alexandra 10/8/2002

#4 Eilleen

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:17 AM

Here's the article from news.com.au:
---------------------------------------------------
Five-year-old 'smoked dope'
By Edith Bevin
April 1, 2004

A FIVE-year-old Northern Territory girl has been smoking cannabis, it was learned last night.

A nine-year-old and a 13-year-old also smoke drugs and drink alcohol.

The case is being investigated by Family and Children's Services.

The department last night refused to confirm an inquiry was under way.

But a former FACS officer said: "The child's case has been referred to an assessment team to follow up.

"There have been no reports of physical violence towards the child - just drug abuse."

The Northern Territory News has obtained photographs that show the five-year-old girl preparing to light a bong in a house in Palmerston.

A 13-year-old is pictured lighting a bong while her 13-year-old friend pours herself a glass of sherry.

The neighbour, who admits to being a drug user, said the five-year-old girl helped herself to the bong.

"She lit it and correctly breathed the smoke in without any adult help," the woman said.

The girl also smokes cigarettes.

"This is serious stuff - she acts like an addict," the neighbour said. "If she doesn't get that ganja or tobacco then she chucks a tantrum - she throws herself on the ground and screams until she can get her hit.

"I've worked with addicts my whole life but I've never seen a five-year-old addict.

"I've seen teenagers and adult addicts and their stages of aggression - the behaviour that this child is displaying is exactly like that.

"We're not talking about a one-off, it's not an accident.

"If FACS tested that child tomorrow she'd have THC in her blood."

Health Department spokeswoman Bernadette Keefe said last night: "If there is evidence of a five-year-old involved in drug use we would be immediately concerned and take action.

"But that is not the information we have received." But when asked what information the department had received, Ms Keefe said: "I can't comment on that."

- Northern Territory News

---------------------------------------------------

How sad is that?

[i]Eilleen

[b]DD Jade 26/11/02 (my little princess!) http://lilypie.com/days/040821/2/2

#5 Sally79

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

Well I can assure you it was no April Fool. I am a born & bred Territorian and can honestly say this is not an uncommon occurance. Young people here in the Territory grow up living in these situations where parents/guardians smoke pot & drink all day long, living off the Government and it horrible to say, but the children grow up believing this behaviour is acceptable. My mum was a teacher here in Darwin for 25yrs+ and would tell me some horrible stories similar to this one in the paper.

I bet there are alot of people like myself who are very upset about this situation being displaied so publically but we know that there is nothing we can do about it. It is a fact that the NT's FACS (Family and Community Services) leave a lot to be desired. Yes an investigation will occur but what will really happen...NOTHING :mad:

Smithy

PS My thoughts - Totally unacceptable

ME 24
DP 31
TTC#1 Feb 2004

#6 Placebo

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

These sorts of things just break my heart.  I fear for the next generation.  The multitude of our kids will become wonderful people, but what will become of children like this if there's nothing done for them now?

Vicki
TeAre 2000
Evie 2002

http://preg.fertilit...egticker/3fdOb/

#7 Guest_ShelleyBelly_*

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:26 PM

IM disgusted at this. The thing that worries me the most, though - isnt the drugs.

Its the little value these parents obviously have for this child to allow, and condone, and permit such behaviour.

I wonder what else they allow.

It makes me sick.

I hope DOCS take the children to somewhere that will treat them properly. Breaks my heart. sad.gif

Shel.xx
http://lilypie.com/days.php?e=040518&m=1&s=0]
Sorry for copying preg ticker but its just so cute!

#8 Jodie8088

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:40 AM

I just picked up and looked at the paper today and saw the picture and it made me sick in the stomach, it really disgusted me. WHERE THE HELL ARE HER PARENTS!

The children should not just be taken away from the home but the parents should be put to jail!

Jodie
Vivian & Cassandra 16th Jan 2003
http://im1.shutterfl...9db090000001010

#9 ~Anni~

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:39 AM

Sad thing is, a child like this may go on to have a baby of her own at 13, and the cycle continues.

She may have more children by the time she is 20 - all neglected - and how destroyed would her growing brain have been, having been subject to drugs every day ?

I think that this is a problem for everyone, and Australians have to work together to find solutions.

#10 Sweetpeaz

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:13 PM

This not only happens in the territory, it happens in just about EVERY place in our country.
At worst I have heard of kids who are addicted to 'worse' drugs than dope. Unfortunately I have seen a few kids who are in the vicinity of their parents while they choof down a few. Telling teh child to 'hide' or not look is NOT good parenting. I have seen this in the 'lower to Upper class parents', ones you would think would have had some decency and some bloody idea of what they are doing to themselves and the child.

Fortunatly I have never seen a child doing drugs excl ciggarettes, I have heard plenty of stories within our culture and in others accross the world.

Having experince with drug addicted parents I just cannot fathom how they let their own troubles/ addictions be so freely shown to their children.
I mean, if I had an addiction I sure as hell would not be displaying this to my children and hopefully do something about it. If the childs not doing it, it won't take long be it at 5 years or 13 years of age.

There is no thinking or parenting involved when you are a drug addict, you think of drugs first, then kids etc because the drugs make 'you calmer' and you can THEN be a parent. Well thats the general justification for it.

I've seen so many babies I wanted to wrap up and take home to care for myself, its just not fair they are so small and are about to grow up in teh worst environment possible. I would be so disgusted in myself if I let anything like this happen.

Nat & Ben
Bub #1 22nd June 2004

[b]A Girl!!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfitzy
http://lilypie.com/days.php?e=040622&m=1&s=9]

#11 kerri28

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

This sort of thing just makes me so angry and terribly sad.

Kerrie

Me 30
DF 33
Jasmine Isabella 14 months

#12 skyeatlanta

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

one word.
heartbreaking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.